Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

The Gunslinger posted:

Diablo 3 was a weird game because I spent a lot of time with it but never really had a lot of fun. I think like you I was just waiting for things to improve, to find the cool items and all that, it just never happened. It's got a strange difficulty curve where you start off with less abilities but more power and become progressively weaker despite having access to more potential builds since many abilities simply do not work on the higher difficulties.
Wow, this is actually a really succinct summary of my exact experience in D3 as well. I'm glad you wrote that out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Ok that Rock Paper Shotgun hands on preview for Borderlands 2 hit all the right notes with me. Sounds like they really learned from their mistakes so I'm going to go ahead and preorder this thing...except that it's not on Steam or any other digital services yet. Retailers must have some exclusivity thing going on :(

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
If I won't be able to pre-order it from Steam (and get the pre-order bonus stuff) I'm gonna be pretty pissed because I want to play on release day and I'm not sure I'll be able to get it from Amazon or whatever on time. Also I don't actually want any physical box / disc / whatever, I just want to play the game once it's released and get the pre-order bonus stuff.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I've been playing Borderlands 1 again since it was on sale and I bought the GOTY, it's still a nice game. Too bad about loving gamespy. I wish they could've patched it to make it work via Steam or something. Looking forward to BL2 a lot.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Ok that Rock Paper Shotgun hands on preview for Borderlands 2 hit all the right notes with me. Sounds like they really learned from their mistakes so I'm going to go ahead and preorder this thing...except that it's not on Steam or any other digital services yet. Retailers must have some exclusivity thing going on :(

I want to believe too but man, Pitchford really hosed up last time with the whole lying about the PC port thing. I will be waiting a few days after it drops to see if they really improved it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Gunslinger posted:

Diablo 3 was a weird game because I spent a lot of time with it but never really had a lot of fun. I think like you I was just waiting for things to improve, to find the cool items and all that, it just never happened. It's got a strange difficulty curve where you start off with less abilities but more power and become progressively weaker despite having access to more potential builds since many abilities simply do not work on the higher difficulties.

This shouldn't really come as a surprise. Diablo 2 has the exact same problem if you play it legit, because Blizzard has a stupid, sadistic idea of what constitutes a good loot table. People complain about duping breaking the D2 economy but the truth is the availability of duped and botted items is (most of) what made Hell difficulty fun in the first place.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

The Gunslinger posted:

Hell EA is going to try raising the price again to $70 even.

Going back a bit here, but is this something they are actually doing? Major titles just got upped to 60 across the board so this soon after is just dumb.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Evek posted:

Going back a bit here, but is this something they are actually doing? Major titles just got upped to 60 across the board so this soon after is just dumb.

no, the picture that's been circulating (and stupidly is on Origin's shooter frontpage) is of a game's digital deluxe edition, though it's not at all obvious when you look at it

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

I want to believe too but man, Pitchford really hosed up last time with the whole lying about the PC port thing. I will be waiting a few days after it drops to see if they really improved it.

Fair enough man but I trust RPS to look for the PC specific stuff, he even went through their love letter checklist to verify things.

quote:

This shouldn't really come as a surprise. Diablo 2 has the exact same problem if you play it legit, because Blizzard has a stupid, sadistic idea of what constitutes a good loot table. People complain about duping breaking the D2 economy but the truth is the availability of duped and botted items is (most of) what made Hell difficulty fun in the first place.

I don't know, I found plenty of low level uniques, sets and stuff like that when I played Diablo 2. I think that sort of thing was pretty key to its success, it was a game for pretty much any level. Diablo 3 replays just bum me out because there's nothing worthwhile until you hit higher levels and even a lot of that stuff is just less amusing than many D2 item equivalents. Anyway we have a whole subforum for it so I'll stop my D3 ranting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is the picture that's been circulating, btw

and the prices

not that $60 on PC isn't kinda dumb, but yeah.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
This is probably a really dumb question but here goes anyway. I've now got this new gaming rig so I've been getting the latest and greatest in PC games lately, and with some games such as Saints Row the 3rd and Civ 5 for example, before they launch it prompts for either DirectX 9 or DirectX 11 mode. My question I guess is whats the difference and do I pretty much always want to choose the newest D11, and are there any downsides to one or the other?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Ah got it. 70 for a Special Edition from EA sounds about right.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If the base game is $60 then $70 for the special edition is perfectly reasonable. I mean, I don't like $60 as the base price for games, but it's not like that's a bigger price bump than normal for a special edition.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Im_Special posted:

This is probably a really dumb question but here goes anyway. I've now got this new gaming rig so I've been getting the latest and greatest in PC games lately, and with some games such as Saints Row the 3rd and Civ 5 for example, before they launch it prompts for either DirectX 9 or DirectX 11 mode. My question I guess is whats the difference and do I pretty much always want to choose the newest D11, and are there any downsides to one or the other?

The DX10/11 mode will generally look nicer, but at a performance loss. If your PC is new, then you almost always want DX10/11. Hell, my PC's closing in on the end of its second year without an upgrade and the only game I force into DX9 mode is Arkham City, but that's because of a persistent slowdown bug.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Oh cool, so its basically just nicer looking at the cost of more power from the PC then. Are there any performance benefits like smoother framerate that come with DirectX 11 or is 9 - 11 about the same in the regard.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Im_Special posted:

Oh cool, so its basically just nicer looking at the cost of more power from the PC then. Are there any performance benefits like smoother framerate that come with DirectX 11 or is 9 - 11 about the same in the regard.

In my experience, DX11 is all about new graphic tech (tesselation, water effects, etc.).. which makes things look far more realistic, but at the same time consumes more resources. DX9 will almost always outperform it (but will look worse doing so.)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
DirectX 11 is proof that we have finally reached the point in graphics technology where some people will be completely blown away by the amazing particle/shader/water effects of the new technology, and some people will basically be unable to even notice it unless specifically shown.

Hopefully you are in the first camp and can enjoy it. I changed The Secret World from DirectX 11 to DirectX 9 to see if I could stand it, and I basically see absolutely no difference. I took test screenshots of the same environment in both modes, and I CAN see the difference, but I never notice it in-game. What I do notice in-game is that things no longer go from ~40 frames per second to 0 frames per second when entering an area with heavy player populations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Fag Boy Jim posted:

and the prices

not that $60 on PC isn't kinda dumb, but yeah.

Is this the new game that's all about playing through tragedies FROM THE NEWS? Shoot brown people straight from the headlines!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I have a really weird issue. I am running some games with Vsync enabled. Witcher 2, Alan Wake, rear end Creed Rev, and all of them go from 60fps to 45 back up to 60. This is OK but I thought Vsync cut your FPS in half, so it would drop to 30. I have the latest WHQL drivers for my 560ti but I was mostly just curious.

It's mostly just a general feeling that I don't want to deal with subpar releases or most of the general bullshit around gaming these days. Maybe I would have saved a lot of money and headaches if I passed on games like Brink, Homefront and Diablo 3. I guess its my fault or whatever but I think I will just hold off on getting new poo poo and wait for sales or to see how a game is getting supported. Even BF3 I feel like if I would have known the lack of support Dice would give it I would have passed on it.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah that's really one of the big reasons. Playing SR3 on the weekend I was reminded again just how much that situation has changed since SR2 was released in 2008. DLC is just going nuts these days, particularly with the big publishers. Most publishers view modding as something that will either harm their DLC revenue stream or hurt multiplayer. Most of them don't want product longevity anymore because they want you to buy next years edition for $60. Hell EA is going to try raising the price again to $70 even.

And then you have stuff like Fallout: New Vegas, which has mods existing alongside DLC. I guess that doesn't count though, since the DLC is actual content and effort instead of a cash grab :v:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

macnbc posted:

In my experience, DX11 is all about new graphic tech (tesselation, water effects, etc.).. which makes things look far more realistic, but at the same time consumes more resources. DX9 will almost always outperform it (but will look worse doing so.)

If I remember right, DX11 actually makes certain things like smoke use far less resources thanks to tesselation.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

fookolt posted:

If I remember right, DX11 actually makes certain things like smoke use far less resources thanks to tesselation.

Try telling that to Arkham City. DX11 makes the game run like rear end, but fine on pretty much everything else I play. The church where Riddler was holed up was a god drat nightmare, dropped to like 25fps for a freaking indoor scene.

Edit: realised that might sound aggressive, I'm not disagreeing, just venting at how disappointed I was to not be able to play AC with DX11 :(

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Balobam posted:

Try telling that to Arkham City. DX11 makes the game run like rear end, but fine on pretty much everything else I play. The church where Riddler was holed up was a god drat nightmare, dropped to like 25fps for a freaking indoor scene.

Edit: realised that might sound aggressive, I'm not disagreeing, just venting at how disappointed I was to not be able to play AC with DX11 :(

Arkham City was just a lovely port. DirectX 11 mode wouldn't even launch until a patch.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Arkham City was just a lovely port. DirectX 11 mode wouldn't even launch until a patch.

Really? Ouch. I didn't pick it up at launch since problems aplenty for console>PC games, didn't know you couldn't even launch DX11 though.

Hopefully come next gen we'll see more things utilise DX11 and utilise it well.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Well, it technically launched, it just crashed within a couple minutes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

kri kri posted:

I have a really weird issue. I am running some games with Vsync enabled. Witcher 2, Alan Wake, rear end Creed Rev, and all of them go from 60fps to 45 back up to 60. This is OK but I thought Vsync cut your FPS in half, so it would drop to 30. I have the latest WHQL drivers for my 560ti but I was mostly just curious.

(disclaimer: I am not a graphics programmer, but this is my best understanding of modern vsync)

Short answer: it depends on the implementation.

Long answer: vsync is short for vertical synchronization, the period (in an old-school CRT monitor) after it's stopped drawing one frame and is aiming the electron beam back towards the top of the screen in preparation for drawing. In a simple implementation (draw one frame, wait for vsync to copy or, in a double buffer setup, flip() it) this means that - assuming a constant framerate - you only get integer divisors of the monitor's refresh rate - it goes from 60fps to 30, then 20, then 15, and so forth.

In a triple buffer setup, the game can draw one frame and then start drawing another without waiting for sync - it trades slightly more latency between drawing a frame and displaying it on screen for a higher, smoother framerate. It still avoids tearing, but doesn't has to drop as many frames to do so.

quote:

It's mostly just a general feeling that I don't want to deal with subpar releases or most of the general bullshit around gaming these days. Maybe I would have saved a lot of money and headaches if I passed on games like Brink, Homefront and Diablo 3. I guess its my fault or whatever but I think I will just hold off on getting new poo poo and wait for sales or to see how a game is getting supported. Even BF3 I feel like if I would have known the lack of support Dice would give it I would have passed on it.

I reached this conclusion ten years ago. :smith: It's just not worth getting games on release; even a previously good developer can gently caress up (or get hosed over by their publisher), and demos and trailers are nearly worthless as an indicator of quality.

The good news is that with the rise of DD, you generally don't have to get games on release, unlike console games where, unless it's a super-popular, super-high-budget game, it'll be off shelves within a few months and then it's down to a crapshoot as to whether you can find a second-hand copy (and when you, it'll still cost $30-$45).

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

And then you have stuff like Fallout: New Vegas, which has mods existing alongside DLC. I guess that doesn't count though, since the DLC is actual content and effort instead of a cash grab :v:

Pretty much every other developer should look at FONV every time they release DLC and weep themselves to bed in shame.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Whoa, hold up-- Battlefield 4? Already? Is this legit? BF3 came out last year.

Al! posted:

Is this the new game that's all about playing through tragedies FROM THE NEWS? Shoot brown people straight from the headlines!

What, you're not already disgusted by shooting "brown people" from last week's headlines?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

While that's true, the mods for FNV are hardly "total conversions" like the countless mods that were released in the golden age of the HL1 era and thereabouts. That kind of stuff really has diminished a lot.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

Yes it's legit.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Say what you will about the rest but "Frostbite engine exclusive to digital deluxe" is just dumb and the lack of the logo on the picture obviously has to be a mistake.

E: \/\/\/ Video games are serious business, mate! Also it's hard to tell whether people are serious or ironic about their rage when it comes to big publishers sometimes.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 17, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Burning Mustache posted:

Say what you will about the rest but "Frostbite engine exclusive to digital deluxe" is just dumb and the lack of the logo on the picture obviously has to be a mistake.
Hey man you should try not to take images on the Internet so seriously.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I seriously cannot believe that Battlefield 4 is a thing already. That is stunning to me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Soul Glo posted:

EA's plan is to copy Activision and to release a FPS a year, with MOH and BF being the franchises that each release a title every 2 years in the vein of BLOPS/MW.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Oh great, so they're going to turn BF into their shooter version of Madden Football. :wewt:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Oh the joy of playing the same mess every other year.

I wonder how much time will pass between BF4 patches.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Burning Mustache posted:

While that's true, the mods for FNV are hardly "total conversions" like the countless mods that were released in the golden age of the HL1 era and thereabouts. That kind of stuff really has diminished a lot.

That I strongly suspect is due as much to the rise of accessible stand-alone engines as to the decline in modding tools. These days, if you want to make a game from your basement, you can do so using something like Unity; you don't need to do it by rewriting an existing game.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

Oh the joy of playing the same mess every other year.

I wonder how much time will pass between BF4 patches.

About 2 years, it will also be called BF4:Awful Corporation

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
So is it too big a leap to assume it will be coming out next fall, and probably for next-gen consoles/pc? It would make since for EA to want a piece of that early rush, and since it was announced accidentally that means it's probably for next year or later since there's no way it would release in four-five months to hit this holiday season.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So I finally took Metro2033 out for a spin for a bit and holy poo poo at a few things. It rapes my computer super hard, had to just put it down to normal settings and DX9. Doesn't play well with d3doverrider, so I used radeonpro instead to force vsync. The 45 FOV isn't that bad but it gets annoying when I started going up on the surface and it's hard enough to navigate with the gasmask on. I can turn it up to maybe 60 FOV but my fps tanks if I do.

Are the menus supposed to have a mouse cursor? I have my 360 controller plugged in so all I have is the keyboard.

Other than that, it is pretty fantastic. Playing it on Ranger (Easy) first time around, don't really mind getting killed a few times. I can't seem to actually disarm traps and mostly just jump over them even if I get really close. Is that a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Sober posted:

So I finally took Metro2033 out for a spin for a bit and holy poo poo at a few things. It rapes my computer super hard, had to just put it down to normal settings and DX9. Doesn't play well with d3doverrider, so I used radeonpro instead to force vsync. The 45 FOV isn't that bad but it gets annoying when I started going up on the surface and it's hard enough to navigate with the gasmask on. I can turn it up to maybe 60 FOV but my fps tanks if I do.

Are the menus supposed to have a mouse cursor? I have my 360 controller plugged in so all I have is the keyboard.

Other than that, it is pretty fantastic. Playing it on Ranger (Easy) first time around, don't really mind getting killed a few times. I can't seem to actually disarm traps and mostly just jump over them even if I get really close. Is that a thing?

You have to unplug the controller to get full KB+M support. It's silly.

I heard the game was a system tester too but I can max everything out on it no sweat @ 1080p with my 6870 OC. Makes me wonder about the display set ups people must have to need 3, 4, 500 dollar cards to drive them as this only cost $150 and crushes everything I throw at it.

• Locked thread