Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

flashman posted:

Ahh this game is pretty fun, but super frustrating. I just spent like 2 hours trying to kill this tauren demon on a battlement sort of deal, finally get him with electric dagger and a leaping attack and just a button mash, and a friggin dragon burns me to crisp.

This makes me giggle uncontrollably because it sums up everything so perfectly on a first run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
Oh my god gently caress Blighttown and toxic dart assholes and giant mosquitoes and platform bosses and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Blighttown is a boss by itself to the amount of times it is killing me versus progress I'm making.

e: Where is the proper entrance to Blighttown via Dpeths? I couldn't find where I am supposed to head so I went in the back, via New Londo Ruins and Valley of Drakes.

Thistledown fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 17, 2012

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Thistledown posted:

Oh my god gently caress Blighttown and toxic dart assholes and giant mosquitoes and platform bosses and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Blighttown is a boss by itself to the amount of times it is killing me versus progress I'm making.

e: Where is the proper entrance to Blighttown via Dpeths? I couldn't find where I am supposed to head so I went in the back, via New Londo Ruins and Valley of Drakes.

It's right by the merchant you see behind the broken bars right before the many touthed mawman, just past him through the big iron gate.

Equip the spider shield if you've picked it up, the extra poison res might be able to help! I'm debating swapping into hallow thieve's armour for blighttown since I'm using light anyways, but other than its great poison res it's pretty bad ;_;

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mr. Bing posted:

The true reward for joining the Forest Hunters is the facepalm emote.

There's seriously a facepalm gesture? Oh man. Can't wait for August.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I am a noob who just beat the taurus demon, and I have some questions!

1. I heard that you have to repair your weapons - how often do you have to do this, and how do I know when my weapons are damaged? I like my estoc very much, and would like to hang onto it.

2. There is a giant boar thing, how do I kill it? Am I just bad (I am bad.)

3. Is there a way to aim my bow/crossbow?

Mae fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 17, 2012

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mae posted:

I am a noob who just beat the taurus demon, and I have some questions!

1. I heard that you have to repair your weapons - how often do you have to do this, and how do I know when my weapons are damaged? I like my estoc very much, and would like to hang onto it.

3. Is there a way to aim my bow/crossbow?

1. Not very often at all. Current weapon durability can be found in the detailed item description. Buy a repairbox from the blacksmith once you get to him (in a bit from where you are right now) so you can repair your own weapons at bonfires. There are a couple of enemies that can deal damage to weapon durability (only two or three in the game though), so I'd recommend keeping at least a few repair powders in stock in case that happens.

2. The boar can be backstabbed. Alternatively, lure it into the fires in the area with one of the Alluring Skulls you can find on the bridge above.

3. You can aim bows by pressing L1. Crossbows cannot be aimed without being cheap (I hear you switch to it while you have a bow zoomed in).

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Some weapons have low durability - the katanas in particular, those need repaired more often than others. Some weapons have special moves - the trident dance, the Dragonslayer Spear lightning bolt, the Drake Sword super slash, so forth - that quickly drains durability. There is also a crystal upgrade path that you probably shouldn't take except for the achievement/trophy, which removes the ability to repair a weapon AND lowers the durability greatly. However, in the scheme of things, most weapons or armor will do you fine for hours before needing repairs.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Do you guys use 2hand or weapon and shield? And can I riposte with a two hander or effectively block? (not like I can time the riposte anyway).

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
What do you mean "use a 2hand"? 2handing a weapon is situational, and should only be used when you're confident that you can kill the enemy or stunlock it before it can murder you because you don't have a shield up. You can block with a weapon, but the stability will be low and you'll take some damage anyway.

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009

Mae posted:

In addition to buttstab and luring it into a fire, you can also pelt it with ranged weapons. I used a number of firebombs my first time.

If you still feel you can't handle it, you can safely (well, relatively) run past it and leave it for later.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah I just wondered if I was doing something wrong and people were zooming around slicing up undead. Good to know that I'm not really, I've been popping 2 handed to jump attack bosses and be a little cheap idiot.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
You cannot effectively block, but you can block while 2handing - you'll just take some percentage of damage.

You cannot parry but you can riposte, you just have to swap to 2hand, get a little closer, and go for it. You can backstab just as easily while 2handing as you can while 1handing.

I generally prefer to 2hand in I'm in PvE, since I know I can dodge effectively against the majority of enemies in the game, the only time that really changes is if I feel like gimmicking in PvE for some reason. In PvP, my tactic changes a bit. A good shield is your life in PvP, unless you're gimmicking, know what you're doing, or are basing your combat style on the 2hand moveset of your weapon.

It's also important to note that while you generally do more damage and need less strength while 2handing a weapon, you also use more stamina per attack.

The more built around dodging your character is (IE, the lighter you are and whether or not you've got ninja flip or what have you), the more effectively you can 2hand, since you shouldn't be missing the block function in that situation.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
I have the quick roll I almost always twohand my weapon against bosses, as it's so simple to just dodge their attacks, against almost all normals enemies I use my shield (the exception is again the big easy to dodge ones, black knights, drakes etc.)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The best Blighttown armor is pyro rags. Which you find in the swamps after Blighttown.

:darksouls:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
That's Dark Souls for you. It'll give you what you need after you prove you don't need it more often than not.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SL3 complete. Went back to my old strat of running around the rock. However I found that if you stay as close to it as you can while he's chasing you, it will induce him to grab/kick a lot more, leaving him open for attack. NG+ would be doable except for probably 4 Kings.

Now I'm just sunbro-ing some more, which is admittedly unfair since I'm so much more powerful than everyone else at my level. I also learned that if you and the asylum boss die at the same time, you get the Pilgrim Key from Oscar.

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009
Okay, so, I'm basically trying to stay human as much as possible.
I die a lot, because this is Dark Souls and I am a human being.
Is there a better way to get a buttload of Humanity other than farming the rats in near the bonfire in the sewers?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Hello Meow posted:

Is there a better way to get a buttload of Humanity other than farming the rats in near the bonfire in the sewers?

Probably not, only a couple of enemies drop Humanity. Late in the game there are a couple of better farming spots, but you probably can't get there yet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hello Meow posted:

If you were more experienced (and by that I mean, "had beaten the game before"), I'd recommend constant co-op. The main problem with this is that it adds it to your counter directly, not your stock of Humanity as an item. My current character has 15 Humanity and is always human, but that's partially a function of not having lost my souls in ages. Hell, this probably won't work past Sen's. gently caress that place.

My only advice to you is to find the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring in Sen's Fortress. Makes Humanity farming much easier, and doesn't force you to have a high Humanity count to start to see good results.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Has anyone ever actually used Soothing Sunlight or Bountiful Sunlight? I've tried them once or twice while sunbroing and it seems like the other people have to be really close to see any effect, making them tactically suicide. Still, it would be fun to do a full-support Guard for a bit.

I'd like to make a super-heavy cross between Tarkus and a Cleric - get up in dude's faces with the Iron Greatshield, Steel Amour and a mace, while using Iron Flesh or Replenishment to become the ultimate meat-shield.

Kind of a shame the mace weapons in the game are so limited - I wish I could get the giant-mace used by the heavy knight you meet in the chapel. I guess there's always the grant, but I wouldn't be able to use it until really late in the game.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 17, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I just saw Pinwheel do some sort of bizarre desperation attack I've never seen him do before, where he disappears, and suddenly about 10 clones of himself appear in a circle around the room and all shoot fireballs/fire spouts inwards.

He still wasn't a threat :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm ashamed to admit that I almost died to Pinwheel on my first playthrough, mainly because of all the drat clones, my low Faith and his constant teleporting. :argh:

Although ironically, I beat Nito alone on my first try with no problems. :getin:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

MrAristocrates posted:

Although ironically, I beat Nito alone on my first try with no problems. :getin:
Your avatar also relates, but basically:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

actionjackson posted:

SL3 complete. Went back to my old strat of running around the rock. However I found that if you stay as close to it as you can while he's chasing you, it will induce him to grab/kick a lot more, leaving him open for attack. NG+ would be doable except for probably 4 Kings.

Now I'm just sunbro-ing some more, which is admittedly unfair since I'm so much more powerful than everyone else at my level. I also learned that if you and the asylum boss die at the same time, you get the Pilgrim Key from Oscar.

Remind me what weapon/gear you ended up sticking with? I just started this run yesterday, no glitches allowed. Right now I'm using the hand axe and the starting gear, just made it to the bonfire by Andre so I'll probably grind up a bunch of souls to upgrade the hand axe to +5 by Sunbroing, then it's down to the Garden to kill the Hydra.

I have a feeling the golem is going to be more of a problem than the hydra. I know the Black Knights have been causing me all kinds of grief, since I only do about 40 damage per backstab.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

McKilligan posted:

Has anyone ever actually used Soothing Sunlight or Bountiful Sunlight? I've tried them once or twice while sunbroing and it seems like the other people have to be really close to see any effect, making them tactically suicide. Still, it would be fun to do a full-support Guard for a bit.

I'd like to make a super-heavy cross between Tarkus and a Cleric - get up in dude's faces with the Iron Greatshield, Steel Amour and a mace, while using Iron Flesh or Replenishment to become the ultimate meat-shield.

Kind of a shame the mace weapons in the game are so limited - I wish I could get the giant-mace used by the heavy knight you meet in the chapel. I guess there's always the grant, but I wouldn't be able to use it until really late in the game.

The Iron knights are using the regular mace, it's just bigger because they are. I think they even have a chance to drop one. As for a mace like weapon, maybe use one of the blacksmith hammers? Though I personally love the Mace.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Sheep-Goats posted:

The best Blighttown armor is pyro rags. Which you find in the swamps after Blighttown.

:darksouls:

I thought the best armor for that was the Black Leather set + spider shield, because of its bafflingly large +toxic and +poison resist. Comparatively, Great Hollow with the Firekeeper's clothes (can't remember what they're called) is orders of magnitude easier. It makes your curse resist so high that you can actually make a couple mistakes.

Well... until you get to the mushrooms, then you start crying and running away regardless.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Urrrrrrgggh, gently caress Ornstein and Smough. They're sucking the fun out of this game. You have to fight through a bunch of guys to get to them, if you go human, there's an 80% chance of getting invaded, and summoning Solarie just gets his rear end pasted by the giants below. If you take the time to kill the giants first, the chance of an invasion jumps to 98%.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Street Horrrsing posted:

Urrrrrrgggh, gently caress Ornstein and Smough. They're sucking the fun out of this game. You have to fight through a bunch of guys to get to them, if you go human, there's an 80% chance of getting invaded, and summoning Solarie just gets his rear end pasted by the giants below. If you take the time to kill the giants first, the chance of an invasion jumps to 98%.

You can run through the boss door while an invader is present. This will banish the invader. If you're playing online, there are usually some summon signs in the room with the bonfire where you meet Solarie again.

Also by "a bunch of guys" I hope you mean "either two or five guys, depending on if you clear the room or not".

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jsor posted:

I thought the best armor for that was the Black Leather set + spider shield, because of its bafflingly large +toxic and +poison resist. Comparatively, Great Hollow with the Firekeeper's clothes (can't remember what they're called) is orders of magnitude easier. It makes your curse resist so high that you can actually make a couple mistakes.

Well... until you get to the mushrooms, then you start crying and running away regardless.

The ninja set is actually better poison wise than black leather, except for the legs. And you get it early in Blighttown too, right before the worst part.

And also yeah, for an O+S run it's 3 silver knights and the two giant knights. Parry kill the 3 silver knights easy, then lure the giant knights to the stairs one at a time and plunge attack them from higher up the stairs. They're big enough that your plunge attack can hit them twice and possibly one shot them. If you do it perfectly, you will use one flask, if not, probably two or three.

Also, Solaire can own invaders pretty well as he's meant to take on O+S with you.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Try beating O&S by yourself. It'll make you a better player, and it's really not that hard once you get a feel for their attacks. Just keep an eye on Ornstein, he's a sneaky jerk who loves to flank you so he can spear your rear end. Buffed Smough is a lot easier to beat than buffed Ornstein, so kill Ornstein first if you're not up for a challenge.

If you really want to summon Solaire, learn to roll under the giants' attacks; it's the easiest way to kill them. If they use the shield bash attack, run between their legs and punish them for it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I just summoned 2 people at the bonfire and got through it that way. I kept getting invaded before I could reach them in human form otherwise. I helped a few people with summons to see what they were like first and was having fun so did it myself. It made the painting a breeze as they just guided me through it. Probably a bit cheap but I'd done no co-op to that point and felt like a change

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jsor posted:

I thought black leather had no toxic resist, just poison?

Scott Bakula posted:

I just summoned 2 people at the bonfire and got through it that way. I kept getting invaded before I could reach them in human form otherwise. I helped a few people with summons to see what they were like first and was having fun so did it myself. It made the painting a breeze as they just guided me through it. Probably a bit cheap but I'd done no co-op to that point and felt like a change

For the average person O+S is a normal place to summon help. The gargoyles too. Which is why Solaire is in both spots.

With that said, you'll eventually learn how to get through their few guards and kill them on your own.

raton fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 17, 2012

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

EC posted:

Remind me what weapon/gear you ended up sticking with? I just started this run yesterday, no glitches allowed. Right now I'm using the hand axe and the starting gear, just made it to the bonfire by Andre so I'll probably grind up a bunch of souls to upgrade the hand axe to +5 by Sunbroing, then it's down to the Garden to kill the Hydra.

I have a feeling the golem is going to be more of a problem than the hydra. I know the Black Knights have been causing me all kinds of grief, since I only do about 40 damage per backstab.

For the golem as I mentioned go into hyper mode and be really good at dodging. Here's the setup I stuck with most of the game, though I switched up rings sometimes:

http://tinyurl.com/72uc8br

Only additional restriction I put on myself was no FAP or DWGR.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

actionjackson posted:

I'm curious to beat the game as a SL3 character do you pretty much have to get yourself really great gear to do so? What were you equipped with and what stats did you boost up to reach SL3, if any?

Edit: The tinyurl link isn't working for me. I'll try it again later.

Where should/do I go after Sid the Scaleless? Demons Ruins or Tomb of Giants? Or do I go and bring Sids soul to the lord vessel? That is if he dropped one.

Kneel Before Zog fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 17, 2012

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is there an online compendium that collects all aspects of the plot into a single thread, like there was for Demon's Souls? I like this game because the story is just so understated, but actually pretty well fleshed-out and would like to read it all at once.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I'm curious to beat the game as a SL3 character do you pretty much have to get yourself really great gear to do so? What were you equipped with and what stats did you boost up to reach SL3, if any?

Most people will just boost the hell out of pyromancy and go through the game that way. SL1 runs are gimmicks that really aren't all that much harder than normal runs; your damage output is similar and the only difference is that you die a lot more quickly.

edit: sorry if I sound a bit harsh towards the challenge, I have a poor opinion of it because it's mostly run by people who want to torment new players in the Burg / Parish.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Heavy neutrino posted:

Most people will just boost the hell out of pyromancy and go through the game that way. SL1 runs are gimmicks that really aren't all that much harder than normal runs; your damage output is similar and the only difference is that you die a lot more quickly.

edit: sorry if I sound a bit harsh towards the challenge, I have a poor opinion of it because it's mostly run by people who want to torment new players in the Burg / Parish.

SL1 is incredibly hard on NG+ (gently caress the 4 Kings). It's not so bad on NG.

The point of the SL3 run was to beat the game as an actual sorcerer, I didn't use any pyro.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

I didn't level, that was the whole point. The link should be working and will clarify what I used.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Heavy neutrino posted:

That doesn't count. SL1 run should be no pyro run.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Surely you guys will know this.

I got invaded by a guy, found him. I went to backstab him, then he did some kind of spell that paralyzed me. When he moved, I followed him involuntarily. He moved me to an enemy and let me kill him.

What was that, and how do I avoid it in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'm planning to do the exact opposite: As soon as I get to the Darkwraith covenant, I'll grind till I get about a million souls, invade newbies in the Burg without any armor or weapons, and play them at a game of Hunt-the-Piñata.

• Locked thread