Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Der Shovel posted:

OK, roughly when should I be pushing into the adjacent areas from the entrance? It feels like I can't do much anywhere, but I realize it may be in large thanks to me not getting what I should be doing yet.

Well once you get the Grail, you can push out as much as you want. Don't hang around one area trying to "finish" it, you can always come back later and, say, take out the boss once you're better equipped. In fact there's quite a few things even in the Guidance Gate that you can't get before a good chunk in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shanty posted:

Well once you get the Grail, you can push out as much as you want. Don't hang around one area trying to "finish" it, you can always come back later and, say, take out the boss once you're better equipped. In fact there's quite a few things even in the Guidance Gate that you can't get before a good chunk in the game.

Yeah, the game is a lot less linear than your average metroidvania, and there's usually a good 4-5 zones where you could be doing something useful at any given time. Once you've got the Grail, you not only have a safety net, but any more checkpoints you find while exploring will speed things up a lot later on.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

For Guidance Gate, "flood, wind, fire, rain" means hit upper left, lower left, upper right, lower right, doesn't it? That just gets me killed! What gives?

Also in Heavenly Temple of the Cross, how do I open the chest? It's something about the order I kill the enemies in, right? I tried all sorts of combinations but none work.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 17, 2012

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Keep whipping, you have to destroy the tablets before moving on to the next one.

You solve the puzzle in that room way, way later. Remember the symbol on the wall.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Klaus Kinski posted:

Keep whipping, you have to destroy the tablets before moving on to the next one.

For me the puzzle randomly didn't work, if I started with flood it still zapped me. Someone said you need to read the hint for the puzzle before it "unlocks", I went there and saved the hint and then it worked.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OK so apparently taking my brand new Fire Gem and trying to fight the Temple boss at this stage with 19 shuriken was a bad idea! Who knew!

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I think the best thing about this game is it just seems endless, I've killed 4 bosses and would think I am 50% through the game and it still feels really open ended with tonnes to do. I love it.

My one rule is Always Be Axing.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Der Shovel posted:

OK, roughly when should I be pushing into the adjacent areas from the entrance? It feels like I can't do much anywhere, but I realize it may be in large thanks to me not getting what I should be doing yet.

You can go anytime you want really. Once you have the grail, there is little danger in exploring as long as you keep a close eye on your health and jump back to town if your life gets too low. Even where you are, there are several sub-weapons, and another primary weapon that you could get before fighting the first boss (as well as another bunch of life ups) Places you might want to check out include the Giant's Mausoleum, and the Temple of the Sun. If you are feeling really brave you can make a quick foray into the Inferno Cavern for some goodies too. Those are the areas I hit before I even start solving the Guidance Gate.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Carver posted:

I've been trapped in the wall/floor quite a few times, but it always semi-teleports me out.

Actually got pushed through the floor into another screen in the Twin Labyrinths which makes me wonder if you can cheese any of the game doing something like that.

I actually managed to pull a sequence break using this in the Graveyard of the Giants in the room two below the grail point. There's that right half section that's unavailable until later but somehow I managed to glitch through the sloped wall below the one way door and enter the room to the right. I thought I was stuck but I kept jumping and it pushed me out on the other side of the wall and into the right half. I didn't progress onwards from there because I wanted to do my playthrough in the intended fashion, but the possibility is there. Now to just be able to duplicate it.

I'm at a point where I can either fight Viy or Baphomet if not for two things. First, I can't figure out how to get to Viy's area. I know there's a door in the bottom of the tower of Ruin that should send me there and let me unlock a shortcut in the Inferno Cavern, but the door is blocked by a wall that shoots lighting if I hit it. Apparently I could have fought Viy a long time ago judging by the thread's reactions, but I just haven't figured this one out yet. As for Baphomet, I can't find his Ankh Jewel. The original had a puzzle where you shot a flare between a relief of two kissing dinosaurs to separate them and then a chest unlocked, but I haven't found anything similar.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Antinumeric posted:

I think the best thing about this game is it just seems endless, I've killed 4 bosses and would think I am 50% through the game and it still feels really open ended with tonnes to do. I love it.

In total, I think there's 18 levels, each with 20 rooms, and then the Hell Temple, with 40 rooms. It's a massive game.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 17, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

How do I open the chest in the Guidance Gate that has a weight pedestal which triggers spikes near it?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
After you have done the Confusion Gate halfway through the game.

Near the top of the confusion gate you can exit to the guidance gate above that chest, place a weight on the nearby platform, go one screen right, then back to the spikes and now use the weight on the pedestal

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

FPzero posted:

, I can't figure out how to get to Viy's area. I know there's a door in the bottom of the tower of Ruin that should send me there and let me unlock a shortcut in the Inferno Cavern, but the door is blocked by a wall that shoots lighting if I hit it. Apparently I could have fought Viy a long time ago judging by the thread's reactions, but I just haven't figured this one out yet. As for Baphomet, I can't find his Ankh Jewel. The original had a puzzle where you shot a flare between a relief of two kissing dinosaurs to separate them and then a chest unlocked, but I haven't found anything similar.

First for viy push the the column.

Now for the ankh there are two twin statues at the bottom of the labyrinth, on opposite sides of the map. Shoot each one in the face with a flare. This will make a pedestal appear in the room left of the front side grail point (or maybe on the opposite side) and the ankh appears at the other

Zeether posted:

How do I open the chest in the Guidance Gate that has a weight pedestal which triggers spikes near it?

you don't now,vyou will get it later from another direction

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

FPzero posted:

I'm at a point where I can either fight Viy or Baphomet if not for two things. First, I can't figure out how to get to Viy's area. I know there's a door in the bottom of the tower of Ruin that should send me there and let me unlock a shortcut in the Inferno Cavern, but the door is blocked by a wall that shoots lighting if I hit it.

minithing:look around on the screen more for things you think are background elements

thing:hey there's that redfaced dude, what's he doin' there

bigthing:spear the redfaced dude in the room and that'll push the thing away

Krizkor
Feb 12, 2007

Terrific...Terrific.
Okay, at the end of the game, and I'm utterly baffled now.

I've unlocked Mother's alter in the true shrine, got the yellow Medicine of the mind, and I can engage Mother's first form. After the stone face cracks, the chalice pours out on her, and she sucks me in and drops me back at the surface? Did I miss something? Is it a different color medicine this time?

Help :(

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm going to have to wait for some kind of walkthrough or guide because I've completely hit a wall and I can't figure out where to go now. Every single place I've been to is a dead end because I need something to get there that I don't have at the moment.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Krizkor posted:

Okay, at the end of the game, and I'm utterly baffled now.

I've unlocked Mother's alter in the true shrine, got the yellow Medicine of the mind, and I can engage Mother's first form. After the stone face cracks, the chalice pours out on her, and she sucks me in and drops me back at the surface? Did I miss something? Is it a different color medicine this time?

Help :(

Have you activated every grail point in the ruins? You need both the medicine and the "complete" grail to start the fight. If only the medicine appears that must be the problem. Unless you also have to read the tablet that hints at that (I forgot where it is).

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Underwhelmed posted:

Now for the ankh there are two twin statues at the bottom of the labyrinth, on opposite sides of the map. Shoot each one in the face with a flare. This will make a pedestal appear in the room left of the front side grail point (or maybe on the opposite side) and the ankh appears at the other

Doesn't work. I've flared both of the statues, got the puzzle solved-sound.. and nothing happened. No pedestal, no ankh, nothing. This is what I mean about the puzzles lacking any sort of response, I've no clue what I've done wrong or what I should be doing.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

How am I supposed to get to the flare gun if what I need to do to get to the place that has it (the Inferno Cavern) needs it to light platforms?

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Zeether posted:

How am I supposed to get to the flare gun if what I need to do to get to the place that has it (the Inferno Cavern) needs it to light platforms?

You don't need the flaregun to light up those platforms. In the pit where the platforms are supposed to appear, there's a big thing that looks like a lamp. It's connected to a thing you can hit on that screen that turns it on.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
So, about the chamber of extinction, how do you permanently activate the lights? Mulbruk mentioned that you have to do something for the god of light in the chamber of birth, but I've almost cleared that entire area and haven't found anything.

Edit: Nevermind, I somehow missed the giant light-able lantern that appeared one screen above the Grail Point.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 17, 2012

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dropbear posted:

Doesn't work. I've flared both of the statues, got the puzzle solved-sound.. and nothing happened. No pedestal, no ankh, nothing. This is what I mean about the puzzles lacking any sort of response, I've no clue what I've done wrong or what I should be doing.

Wait do you mean the ankh jewel or the ankh for the boss? I think this was my bad. For the boss, go to the right side (opposite of the boss room) kill all the witches, and a 5th black witch should appear. LEAVE HER ALONE. Now go to the boss room, kill the 4 witches and and a white witch should appear, kill her, the Ankh should appear. One of the dudes in a room (a skeleton) gave a clue to this solution "a white and a black witch to summon the altar" This threw me for a bit too.

Sorry, in my head I always think "ankh" of being the red ankh jewels rather than the boss point. Does this clear it up?

Exodee posted:

So, about the chamber of extinction, how do you permanently activate the lights? Mulbruk mentioned that you have to do something for the god of light in the chamber of birth, but I've almost cleared that entire area and haven't found anything.

You must go back to the dark area once you have activated the lights in the Chamber of birth (that fake block right of the mural that had a seal). From the grail point, you go through that fake wall maze under the pool to the right, hit the seal, drop a weight on the pedestal (if you haven't done this already) and up above the grail point will be a cross of lamps, hit them with a flare and it will now stay lit. This is a few steps more than in the original which just required the first step.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 17, 2012

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
[quote="Underwhelmed" post="405679435"]
Wait do you mean the ankh jewel or the ankh for the boss? I think this was my bad. For the boss, go to the right side (opposite of the boss room) kill all the witches, and a 5th black witch should appear. LEAVE HER ALONE. Now go to the boss room, kill the 4 witches and and a white witch should appear, kill her, the Ankh should appear. One of the dudes in a room (a skeleton) gave a clue to this solution "a white and a black witch to summon the altar" This threw me for a bit too.

Argh, I haven't even seen that clue and thought I combed it thoroughly - I only got the "four witches then one more, then Baphomet is summoned"-clue. I tried everything, killed the other witches and waited with the fifth alive etc.. gah. Thanks!

By the way, can anyone enlighten me about the Endless Corridor door puzzle? The tablet seems to say you should pick the symbols for birth - life - reproduction - ascension. I figured ascension would be the Tower of the Goddess symbol, got the first symbols from the seals (birth & life) and just tried everything for the reproduction one. Didn't work, so I just thought gently caress it and ran out of there through random doors.. And accidentally solved it. Still have no clue to the logi, though. :haw:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
What exactly triggered the Brass mirror room to open? I've passed it for hours and never did anything special and it just opens up for me :psyduck:

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

FPzero posted:

I actually managed to pull a sequence break using this in the Graveyard of the Giants in the room two below the grail point.

Interesting. The moving physics are definitely a bit buggy because I've gotten semi-stuck at least somewhere between 5 to 10 times.

And this one is hard to believe, but on a trip through the Moon Temple above the grail point to get to the Confusion Gate - I went to weight the door there and while running against the door as it was opening it teleported me back to the Surface. Insane.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Carver posted:

And this one is hard to believe, but on a trip through the Moon Temple above the grail point to get to the Confusion Gate - I went to weight the door there and while running against the door as it was opening it teleported me back to the Surface. Insane.
I've had that happen to me as well actually, but in my case I was stuck in a wall and presumably fell through the floor. I'm guessing that surface area is what the game defaults to whenever the player warps to something that doesn't exist.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Dizz posted:

What exactly triggered the Brass mirror room to open? I've passed it for hours and never did anything special and it just opens up for me :psyduck:

No clue, the same happened to me. Passed the place many times, then one time it was just open, no idea what caused it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Wow, you REALLY need to be careful around the grail point in Inferno Cavern.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So I've found a way to control your descent and move left and right while falling. I can even "zig-zag" back and forth while falling allowing me to get to some places a little earlier.

First jump straight into the air without touching any movement keys. As you start to fall press left or right depending on where you want to fall. Once you are falling you can now move your character left or right at will and make tricky jumps.

Apologies if this is general knowledge. I found out by accident and it was immensely useful in some situations. I was able to drop down to ledges directly below me using this.

Krizkor
Feb 12, 2007

Terrific...Terrific.

Mman posted:

Have you activated every grail point in the ruins? You need both the medicine and the "complete" grail to start the fight. If only the medicine appears that must be the problem. Unless you also have to read the tablet that hints at that (I forgot where it is).

:doh: That was it. Thanks!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

So I've found a way to control your descent and move left and right while falling. I can even "zig-zag" back and forth while falling allowing me to get to some places a little earlier.

First jump straight into the air without touching any movement keys. As you start to fall press left or right depending on where you want to fall. Once you are falling you can now move your character left or right at will and make tricky jumps.

Apologies if this is general knowledge. I found out by accident and it was immensely useful in some situations. I was able to drop down to ledges directly below me using this.
I found this out while trying to get to the light platforms in the Temple of the Sun.

Managed to get the Flare Gun, now I'm trying to get through the Monument of Extinction.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dizz posted:

I thought it was hitting the block just inside the chamber of extinction ("go down, then forward, then up, then jump and attack")

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
Chamber of Birth, I'm stuck, help: How do I get rid of the block at the bottom left? Also, how do you remove the block in front of the gate on this map?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

For the Mausoleum of Giants boss, what's the best way to kill him? Running up his arm takes too long and the knife doesn't have good enough reach to hit him.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Is there anything to do in the Shrine of the Mother if I don't have the 4th seal? All paths look blocked and the dragon statue doesn't seem to react to anything yet.

Speaking of the 4th seal, I know where it should be if the original is any indication, but the access to it must be in a different place now.

If not, I guess my next goal is to flood the Tower of the Goddess but I only have one cryptic clue and vague memories of how it worked in the original that are sure to throw me off track since I'm betting it's changed in this version. It's either that or figure out how to move the statues at the top of the Tower so that I can access the right half of the Graveyard of the Giants or the right half of the Confusion Gate.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

For the Mausoleum of Giants boss, what's the best way to kill him? Running up his arm takes too long and the knife doesn't have good enough reach to hit him.

Don't use the knife. Also running up his arm is the only way to beat him. Just get better at recognizing when he's going to extend his arm and jumping earlier.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Where the hell is the grail point in the Inferno Caverns? I can't find it anywhere.

If I have to get to the entrance manually again I'm gonna freak out.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Karsh posted:

Chamber of Birth, I'm stuck, help: How do I get rid of the block at the bottom left? Also, how do you remove the block in front of the gate on this map?
For your first question, you can't get rid of it from that side. For the second, do you mean the bronze mirror door? You have to beat the stage's boss before it opens.

Pollyanna posted:

For that boss, just use your whip to get rid of the boss' mask. You should be able to get a hit or two in before the arm retracts.
After his mask is off, he becomes very vulnerable to ranged attacks, so throw a few shurikens in his face while dodging his rocket fist.

klez
Oct 23, 2010

FPzero posted:

Is there anything to do in the Shrine of the Mother if I don't have the 4th seal? All paths look blocked and the dragon statue doesn't seem to react to anything yet.

Speaking of the 4th seal, I know where it should be if the original is any indication, but the access to it must be in a different place now.

If not, I guess my next goal is to flood the Tower of the Goddess but I only have one cryptic clue and vague memories of how it worked in the original that are sure to throw me off track since I'm betting it's changed in this version. It's either that or figure out how to move the statues at the top of the Tower so that I can access the right half of the Graveyard of the Giants or the right half of the Confusion Gate.

You need to flood the Tower the goddess first to get something before you can access the top of the tower. As for the clues, one is obviously in Mausoleum of Giants, the other is in Spring in the Sky; scan EVERYTHING and you should find what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
What's the trick to getting the second seal? Every time I try to jump onto the platform a vulture hits me in mid-air knocking me out of the way -- do I need some additional equipment or ability, or is it just a question of really precise jumping?

• Locked thread