Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

goferchan posted:

What's the trick to getting the second seal? Every time I try to jump onto the platform a vulture hits me in mid-air knocking me out of the way -- do I need some additional equipment or ability, or is it just a question of really precise jumping?

Really precise jumping. Took me ages to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I have no idea how to get the bombs. I can't seem to reach that side of the Chamber of giants and I can't remember how to get to the chamber of birth. Argh.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Red Mundus posted:

Really precise jumping. Took me ages to get.

I got it on my second try. :smug:

Also, gently caress the bird miniboss. Those feathers HURTS.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Aaaargh gently caress you Ellmac. Why does touching you hurt so much?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I used the whip until I got low on energy then used those throwing stars on him. Too bad I did it before I got the mirror (rendering my victory moot.) This was before I realized that I could use the grail to teleport myself out.

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 17, 2012

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

goferchan posted:

What's the trick to getting the second seal? Every time I try to jump onto the platform a vulture hits me in mid-air knocking me out of the way -- do I need some additional equipment or ability, or is it just a question of really precise jumping?

Try spamming the knife on your way down, if you're lucky the bird should die without touching you.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I loving hate the Inferno Cavern. I can't get anywhere without killing all my HP.

I'm never gonna get the chain whip if I can't get to the subboss with more then like 20 health.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
gently caress I need to kill Viy and he was my least favourite boss last time and he seems even harder gently caress

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

RadicalR posted:

I used the whip until I got low on energy then used those throwing stars on him. Too bad I did it before I got the mirror (rendering my victory moot.) This was before I realized that I could use the grail to teleport myself out.

What, wait what is this? Why can't I kill him now?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

goferchan posted:

Equip the knife and mash as hard as you can.

quote:

gently caress I need to kill Viy and he was my least favourite boss last time and he seems even harder gently caress

You can probably get the rom combo that increases whip damage and kill him in the first 5 seconds of the fight if he's giving you trouble.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I loving hate the Inferno Cavern. I can't get anywhere without killing all my HP.

I'm never gonna get the chain whip if I can't get to the subboss with more then like 20 health.
Do you have the Ice Cape? It makes lava mostly harmless, although eruptions still knock you back which can be kinda annoying. It's very close to the grail point, so it should be fairly easy to find.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just got it. Subboss before the chain whip room is still kicking my rear end though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Question for those with experience in the genre;

I'm bad at platforming, would this drive me to murder? As in, is the platforming and controls the difficulty of the game, or is it more the sheer number of ways in which it desires to end your pixel-y little life?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

FPzero posted:

If not, I guess my next goal is to flood the Tower of the Goddess but I only have one cryptic clue and vague memories of how it worked in the original that are sure to throw me off track since I'm betting it's changed in this version.

Remember when Xelpud emailed you about paying attention the names of certain rooms? This would be a good time to take that advice.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I just got it. Subboss before the chain whip room is still kicking my rear end though.
Yeah, that boss can be quite a bitch if you fight him "straight". I've beaten him by jumping on the small platform above him and just unloading all my caltrops on top of his head. Took about 30/40 throws or so I think, and took nary a scratch.
Oh, make sure to save after you beat him too. The area behind him is rather crude. :v:

klez
Oct 23, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Stay defensive the whole fight. Wait besides a rock (I like the one on the bottom right) wait for it to dive in, hit it in the face w/ axe or knife, then just get good at dodging the rocks.

For viy, I think he's still one of the boss you can kill w/ subweapons(spear, about 50 or so). Helps if you axe him a few times when does his eyeball the first time. Also, only his body and LASER hurts, so try your best to not get knock down by the tentacles.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Underwhelmed posted:

I thought it was hitting the block just inside the chamber of extinction ("go down, then forward, then up, then jump and attack")

That's what it was. I Deliberately ignored that area because I was under the impression that I needed an item to keep the rooms lit [or at least have a bigger circle of light] but then I got tired of searching all the old areas for progress and went in there and just dicked around.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Man the fight with Mother's final form is pretty drat awesome. A whole lot better than the original in that respect.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Exodee posted:

Do you have the Ice Cape? It makes lava mostly harmless, although eruptions still knock you back which can be kinda annoying. It's very close to the grail point, so it should be fairly easy to find.

Where is that? What do you mean by near the Grail point?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
gently caress it I farmed 800 gold brought 2 clips and shot the poo poo out of Viy. It's what Indiana would have wanted. Nice to know the Galious tribute is still there in spirit, also managed to make my way to the Grail Point in the tower of the goddess from the top of the furthest tower, invisible ninjas be damned.

Oh and I did it In the loving dark!

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 17, 2012

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Pollyanna posted:

What, wait what is this? Why can't I kill him now?

You can, it just won't be very useful yet. For the most part, the reward for killing a boss is tied to something you don't have yet, and won't come into play until you do.

Hateworkboy
Mar 29, 2008
Alright, I've mostly used the wiki and my meandering knowledge of the old version to get this far, but I've had all I can stands and I can stands no more. I'm in the Tower of Ruin, as high as I can go (D-2 on the map), and I need to be able to get up this vertical shaft to access the last portion of the map. How can I do it?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

As much as I enjoy the game (and it's quite a bit) I am a bit frustrated at the lack of direction. I feel like I'm wandering around the world, not knowing if I'm in the wrong area or if I'm not smart enough to figure out the next puzzle I could be doing or if I'm not persistent enough to find the next secret door to take me somewhere I could be doing something in.

I had really high hopes for the much ballyhooed new hint system but so far it doesn't seem amazing. For instance I found a fire crystal in the caves and Xelpud told me to come see him before using it. I went and got a random line about his gaming addiction. A case of confused scripting (my first crystal is actually from the Temple instead of the entrance area) or just poor game design? Either way I'm tempted to start looking at walkthroughs and FAQs.

EDIT:

Case in point the area I'm mostly currently in: the Mausoleum.

All the tablets I'm reading talk about times various giants passed away. Later I came upon a tablet which listed them in the order they were born. Later I came upon a mechanism which allows me to cycle between times of day. From this I've pieced together that maybe I should go to that machine and set it to the times of day the giants died in, in the order from youngest to oldest.

Am I even right? I don't know, but spending nearly two hours wandering around the Mausoleum without any real idea of what to do isn't great entertainment. Would it have been that difficult to have a skeleton with a note saying something like 'To uncover their secrets pay tribute to the dead' which would've given you at least an idea of what you were trying to figure out.

IF that is even the solution to the area.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 17, 2012

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

As much as I enjoy the game (and it's quite a bit) I am a bit frustrated at the lack of direction. I feel like I'm wandering around the world, not knowing if I'm in the wrong area or if I'm not smart enough to figure out the next puzzle I could be doing or if I'm not persistent enough to find the next secret door to take me somewhere I could be doing something in.

I had really high hopes for the much ballyhooed new hint system but so far it doesn't seem amazing. For instance I found a fire crystal in the caves and Xelpud told me to come see him before using it. I went and got a random line about his gaming addiction. A case of confused scripting (my first crystal is actually from the Temple instead of the entrance area) or just poor game design? Either way I'm tempted to start looking at walkthroughs and FAQs.

When you're talking to Xelpud, you have to equip whatever you want him to comment on. Kind of dumb, but besides being able to talk to Mulbruk multiple times, it's one of the only unexplained things in the game.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

For instance I found a fire crystal in the caves and Xelpud told me to come see him before using it.

What are you talking about :psyduck:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

tooooooo bad posted:

What are you talking about :psyduck:

Finding an Ankh Jewel (sorry, my bad about the name) in the Temple of the Sun and getting an e-mail from Xelpud telling me that I should be careful about using it and that I should come talk to him before I do. I mean I'd previously solved the mine cart puzzle in the Temple and had uncovered an empty ankh in an obvious boss chamber so I figured out those were the keys to triggering boss fights.

But I thought, all right, now that I'm on the track to actually doing something in the game, maybe Xelpud's gonna give me some info on what I'm actually doing here. But nope, a line about his gaming addiction is all I got. I'll go back in with the crystal in hand, thanks for that hint.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Der Shovel posted:

IF that is even the solution to the area.

No? No. You're surrounded by giants. Change things and check the giants.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Where is that? What do you mean by near the Grail point?
As in, only a few screens away from the point where you warp to with the Grail.

More detail: One screen below and to the right of that Grail point there's a fairly simple block puzzle that unlocks a chest with the cape in it. You have to (quickly) wade through the lava to do it, though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

More accurately, some of the tablets say stuff that correlates to the dial.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Oh, oooooh, am I supposed to somehow manipulate the giant bodies into the positions they were in when they died?

klez
Oct 23, 2010
Case in point the area I'm mostly currently in: the Mausoleum.

You're making it too complicated. Notice some tablets mentions different giants doing different things at a different time, that's the key to the puzzle in the area. Rest is favor text and some clues to another item the life jewel on the bottom of a giants' feet

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
What the poo poo, the bosses went from challenging to concentrated memorization anti-fun with Baphomet. I have no idea how the second form is supposed to be done; there's poo poo flying all over + a ton of witches spawning endlessly as well. :psyduck:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

It's hard to say if this is how I felt when I played the game long ago, but I know for sure that the original was FAR worse when it came to this. And it's by design too, and I can't honestly say it's "bad" design for what it's trying to do. At least not in the big picture, there are a few isolated design decisions that still make me wonder what the hell Nigoro was thinking.

Really, while it's frustrating not immediately knowing where and how you're making progress, I really do enjoy the openness and the focus on experimentation. It's also for the most part fair, as no matter how obtuse a puzzle is there's always something somewhere, whether it be a tablet or otherwise, that will lead you to the right answer and it's up to you to piece together what you've learned and, if all else fails, just try something until it works.

For the most part anyways... (late-game spoiler)Putting the one absolutely vital clue to the last Dimensional Corridor miniboss in a background object is just playing dirty :argh:

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Dropbear posted:

What the poo poo, the bosses went from challenging to concentrated memorization anti-fun with Baphomet. I have no idea how the second form is supposed to be done; there's poo poo flying all over + a ton of witches spawning endlessly as well. :psyduck:

You can hit the blue orbs to make them disappear, and the lightning never hit me when I was standing on an edge of the bottom platform. The fire columns, just keep moving. Can't help you with the witches though, witches suck.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Dropbear posted:

I thought Baphomet was kinda fun once I realized his lightning attack doesn't hit the lower corners of the screen.

Palenque is still probably my favorite boss in this version though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Exodee posted:

More detail: One screen below and to the right of that Grail point there's a fairly simple block puzzle that unlocks a chest with the cape in it. You have to (quickly) wade through the lava to do it, though.

:psyduck: That used to be something else. Weird.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Exodee posted:

Haha man if people are interested, I can point out some of the more ridiculous puzzles in the original that they (mercifully) changed in the remake to be less of a pain in the rear end. This was one of them.

RaspberryCommie posted:

I thought Baphomet was kinda fun once I realized his lightning attack doesn't hit the lower corners of the screen.

Palenque is still probably my favorite boss in this version though.

I think Viy might be my favorite fight in the game, followed by Baphomet. Elmac was slightly more annoying than fun, Bahamut is just annoying. Palenque is easy but in a fun way, while Sakit and Amphibiwhatever are what they are.

Tiamat though... :stare: ONLY reason I beat her was the trick to avoid the laser damage I saw in UltraJman's video using the caltrops. And I still would have died had I not gotten the fairy clothes earlier.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 17, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Incidentally, this is what Xelpud has to say when you go talk to him after getting an email telling you to talk to him about the Ankh Jewel even if you have it equipped: more random comedy.

Not very useful.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Haha man if people are interested, I can point out some of the more ridiculous puzzles in the original that they (mercifully) changed in the remake to be less of a pain in the rear end. This was one of them.

Sometimes I think of the Grapple Claw puzzle in the Temple of Moonlight and marvel at how I used to think wall jumping in Metroid was hard. I am so glad that entire mechanic changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Huh, maybe it's just equippable items like the scanner then. I know there's someone somewhere that tells you about what the crystal does.

• Locked thread