Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Does the Darkroot Garden seem really weird to anyone else? I always feel like that area is unfinished, or that they meant to do more with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

The Brown Menace posted:

Getting the stone armor is a bit more involved (especially if you are human), and if you're only doing PvE you don't need the ridiculous amount of poise it has anyway. Plus anything short of 40 endurance and various rings will mean earth-shattering fatty rolling.

On the other hand, get the Stone Armor plus the Stone Greatsword and it means it can be both a 2hand AND a gimmick run.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Maremidon posted:

Does the Darkroot Garden seem really weird to anyone else? I always feel like that area is unfinished, or that they meant to do more with it.

You're the first person to feel this way as far as I recall. The only location the developers have gone on record saying is partially incomplete/not in line with what they wanted is Lost Izalith supposedly.

Darkroot is full of stuff imo.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The only two zones I really feel that way about are Valley of the Drakes and The Great Hollow. The former doesn't feel incomplete so much as an epic troll, but I'm not convinced they even playtested The Great Hollow. HEY GAIZ NOW THIS GAME'S A PLATFORMER HAVE FUN ALSO I HOPE YOU HAVE CURSE RESIST. And then you get to the end, and see these really cute musrooms... that can probably one shot you and take enough damage to tank a particularly ornery semi.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Pfft, I think Great Hollow's pretty standard for a Dark Souls area. If you try to rush it or come in unaware, you're going to have a terrible time and will probably get hosed up. Once you know how to travel through it, it's easy. And it's not that hard to avoid getting cursed even without high curse resistance.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Nahxela posted:

Pfft, I think Great Hollow's pretty standard for a Dark Souls area. If you try to rush it or come in unaware, you're going to have a terrible time and will probably get hosed up. Once you know how to travel through it, it's easy.

The thing I hate about the Great Hollow is all the falling. You HAVE to fall a lot, and if you don't know the path already it's actually entirely possible to follow what looks like a reasonable path down only to get stranded in an area where the only way out is to fall to death. Getting most of the items there is also maddening. I say this as someone who never even got cursed, too, it's mostly the random bouts of platforming I hate.

I admit the mushrooms were my fault, I was only geared and leveled for Blightown (maybe a little overleveled/upgraded for it) at the time. But I don't know, I still killed the Hydra Mk. II fine, I'm not sure if they even meant for you to kill the mushrooms.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Nahxela posted:

And it's not that hard to avoid getting cursed even without high curse resistance.
Yeah, I really don't understand how anyone can get cursed in this game unless they just flat-out don't notice that the grey smoke is putting a status effect on them. You practically have to stand in the curse fog deliberately for the bar to get even halfway full.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The only time I ever got cursed was during Seath's fight, and even then only once or twice because I got knocked down in the crystals. I almost got cursed by the Basilisks in the Depths due to being unprepared to avoid it, but it's still really, really easy to never get cursed at all.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I can understand getting cursed if you've got zero liquid humanity, in that case it almost makes sense since it takes only like 4 or 5 seconds breathing the gas in to get affected. But by the time you're in Great Hollow, you should be good enough at the game to have some spare humanity. Of course, that doesn't take into account dying multiple times from trying to platform for all the items :v:

The only time I've been cursed, I let myself be cursed just to experience it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Yeah, I really don't understand how anyone can get cursed in this game unless they just flat-out don't notice that the grey smoke is putting a status effect on them. You practically have to stand in the curse fog deliberately for the bar to get even halfway full.

Nah, that bar fills pretty fast if you're in, say, Pyromancer rags. I mean, I've never even gotten cursed once, to be fair, but the basilisks in Great Hollow could get you pretty easily if you're not wearing the Firelink Firekeeper's clothes or something -- especially given the number of times you're likely to have to encounter them if you keep fall-dying.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Considering all the black statues I see even now close to a year after release in high curse regions...I'd say players getting cursed is more common than you think.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Darkroot is full of stuff imo.

Yeah it's full of stuff, but it all seems really weird and barely-part of the game. There's a snake lizard and manta-ray thing, both of which I discovered today, and both of which died in one hit. Why are they there? Hell if I know.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Darkroot basin is a forest with a basin of water, and an escaped experiment that apparently killed a smith. Then there's a giant grave that is guarded by the person's faithful immortal companions. Why would you want a grave site to be put in a well trafficked area? And what would you expect to find in a forest/lake? Not lizards and frogs?

I'm just confused at why you are confused by something so natural.

Also, for the Great Hollow, there are two necessary falls, neither of which damage you, and you can run past the curse frogs before they fill their cheeks. I mean yeah it can gently caress you up your first time through, bu that's Dark Souls.

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 18, 2012

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Maremidon posted:

Yeah it's full of stuff, but it all seems really weird and barely-part of the game. There's a snake lizard and manta-ray thing, both of which I discovered today, and both of which died in one hit. Why are they there? Hell if I know.

It's an optional area, if you're arguing that it seems incomplete because you don't get he Lordvessel Ultima Jewel of The Elements or something you're missing the point. It's a tranquil forest with abandoned buildings and some really drat impressive optional enemies and bosses (the statues and the hydra are really cool the first time 'round. The butterfly is pretty too). I don't know what you think is really missing.

Nasgate posted:

Also, for the Great Hollow, there are two necessary falls, neither of which damage you, and you can run past the curse frogs before they fill their cheeks. I mean yeah it can gently caress you up your first time through, bu that's Dark Souls.

Yeah, but... but... you miss the items (also, I'm bitter because I didn't figure out you didn't need to fall until AFTER I'd climbed back up).

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Wait, you're telling me that you went down the great hollow without a homeward bone or bonfire warp ability?

I have literally never climbed up the hollow.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Nasgate posted:

Wait, you're telling me that you went down the great hollow without a homeward bone or bonfire warp ability?

You can climb up the hollow?

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.
I get what he's saying about Darkroot because it seemed pretty "off" to me, too-- at least compared to other areas I'd been up until that point in the game. Once I'd finally discovered the area with the big cats and the mushrooms it felt a little more tied together.

But I wouldn't quite say it felt incomplete or unfinished to me, more that it felt underutilized in parts. Almost like I was expecting there to be some enemy or item around that corner and was surprised to find a dead end. I think it only feels that way because it is in such contrast to the areas you've just been through-- and if it's your first time through you're still tentatively creeping around every corner and slowly taking in all of the scenery as you do so.

Examined so carefully, it does seem a little "empty" in parts. But now that I'm familiar with it I really appreciate the area as a change of pace from the places around it. It transitions so nicely into Valley of Drakes and back up and around into that area with Havel's tower.

This is all taking into account it was my first experience through these parts of the game. I think a lot of you seasoned vets are way, way past remembering what it was like slowly amassing confidence through that first play through. Or maybe that was just how my progression went.

E: About the getting cursed thing, too-- it's pretty easy if it's your first play-through, you're encumbered by heavy armor because you haven't figured out the advantages of poise versus movement speed, and you're faced with an unfamiliar enemy utilizing a thus-far unseen method of attack.

My first time getting cursed was more like "Oh, poo poo, what're these frog things? Oh, gently caress, I probably shouldn't be in this fog stuff. *fatroll* *fatroll* What? Is that some kind of status bar? Oh poo poo! There's more of them?! *fatroll* Aww, nuts, I'm out of stamina!" *YOU HAVE DIED* "Huh? What the hell? ... DARK SOULS!!"

And I've still gotten cursed on fat characters on subsequent playthroughs when I haven't been careful. Thinking about it, I've really maybe only been cursed three or MAYBE four times-- but I still look back on that first time as a traumatic experience of sorts and I think many people are in the same boat and that's why the "issue" with getting cursed is a little overemphasized.

It's something that's going to get you the first time through. It's designed to.

GrickleGrass fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 18, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yes climbing up the hollow is possible. It's not as fun as going down though.

Speaking of mushrooms, I really want a fist weapon based on the mushroom man moveset. Make the R2 an slow unblockable right cross just like the mushroom men, because honestly it's incredibly hard to guard break anyone using any form of stamina regen and almost impossible to punish them if you do guard break them with any respectable damage thanks to ninja flip ring coupled with the general speed of move recovery in this game.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Nasgate posted:

I did it before I even knew the Lordvessel existed, and I used it to access Ash Lake -- which I rested at and killed the Hydra so Homeword Bone wasn't an option. So yes, I climbed all the way back up.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jsor posted:

I did it before I even knew the Lordvessel existed, and I used it to access Ash Lake -- which I rested at and killed the Hydra so Homeword Bone wasn't an option. So yes, I climbed all the way back up.

My goondolences

Yes climbing up the hollow is possible. It's not as fun as going down though.

Speaking of mushrooms, I really want a fist weapon based on the mushroom man moveset. Make the R2 an slow unblockable right cross just like the mushroom men, because honestly it's incredibly hard to guard break anyone using any form of stamina regen and almost impossible to punish them if you do guard break them with any respectable damage thanks to ninja flip ring coupled with the general speed of move recovery in this game.

Not to mention that if they could block, it would send them sliding like twenty feet to their doom. :getin:

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Maremidon posted:

Yeah gotta say, I love Darkroot. The other areas are cool, and I love the detail, but something about the forest is peaceful and uneasy at the same time. Its like at one point, it was a pretty important place, but nature has kind of reclaimed it. So there are bits and piece of stone jutting out of the green. I like to spend time pvping in the forest, even if it means getting killed. I think it's a real good setting for it.

I also got a coworker to finally try DkS yesterday. He's thrown the controller once, but was all questions today about different strategies. He beat the Taurus demon today and after chatting with our incandescent friend, got quickly roasted. After some texting he found the stairs and the ladder and said he made it to his milestone. I'm making a Solaire character to follow along with and be summoned if he gets really stuck. I haven't run a faith guy, but I might as well work on that miracles achievement.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It would be nice if Valley of the Drakes was more than just a shortcut to other areas of the game. They should at least have a boss you have to fight to go anywhere.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Well, there is the Zombie Dragon... he's just piss easy and doesn't actually block anything if you don't piss him off.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

I want to be able to slide like baby mushrooms. That looks fun and silly.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Rasamune posted:

I'm planning to do the exact opposite: As soon as I get to the Darkwraith covenant, I'll grind till I get about a million souls, invade newbies in the Burg without any armor or weapons, and play them at a game of Hunt-the-Piñata.

That's always fun. Spawn into some new guys world in full giants, defensive rings, dual caestuses or something equally piddly. Have a play-around boxing match with them and usually drop them something or let them kill me after an awful amount of backstabs.

Sometimes it backfires on me though. No don't jump off that ledge, I wanted to help you out bro! :saddowns:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Nahxela posted:

I want to be able to slide like baby mushrooms. That looks fun and silly.

That's the forward R1! Item completed

Actually more weapons should have forward R1's that are useful. The kick and knee strike are really lackluster now that stamina recovery is so insane.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Yardbomb posted:

Sometimes it backfires on me though. No don't jump off that ledge, I wanted to help you out bro! :saddowns:
I did some invading in Demon's Souls in 3-2. I was only carrying a shield (2 handed) to block initial panic attacks so I could drop stuff for people.

90% of people either dashboarded or fell off the platforms trying to run away from me :(

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

actionjackson posted:

It would be nice if Valley of the Drakes was more than just a shortcut to other areas of the game. They should at least have a boss you have to fight to go anywhere.

I like the noise they make when they shoot lightning at you. It's how I hope I snore.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Was pre-ordering Dark Souls on steam when I seen this:

quote:

Additional: Online play requires software installation of and log-in to Games For Windows - LIVE

:negative:

gently caress

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 18, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Order it anyway

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Toss another into the upper Blighttown ninja group. Even ran into a hacker who didn't take damage or bother to heal himself after being toxic-ed. Falling off still works though. :smug:

Another group of two I couldn't hit with dung pies for the life of me, just kind of watched as I wandered by disguised as a pot. Eventually they attacked but I'd love to know what they were thinking for the 20 or so seconds as they just stared. :allears:

A third guy ended up with a Black Knight sword out of it to compliment his Boar Helm, Drake Sword, and Wanderer set. Then died to a dart guy, backstab combo.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Order it anyway

Or get the console version and wait for the DLC, I guess.

Either way the game is so worth it.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Finally started a playthrough with decent stat progression, staying in decent armor with decent poise and kind of understanding more about the game. Got DWGR and a +10 Uchi and ugh, what the hell. Katanas need a nerf, and so does that ring.

Why does any +10 Katana do as much damage as a +10 Falchion but also have that bullshit bleed effect and is also as fast and has a longer range and has the kick attack? It also seems to have the same or higher poise damage.

And the ring needs to lose the 50% to 25% weight conversion. It's retarded and better than Havel's Ring in almost every way.

I'm using them and can't stop feeling like I'd be nerfing myself massively if I don't.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Maleh-Vor posted:

Why does any +10 Katana do as much damage as a +10 Falchion but also have that bullshit bleed effect and is also as fast and has a longer range and has the kick attack? It also seems to have the same or higher poise damage.
Because the katana's basic down-up slash moveset is kinda awful and boring compared to the curved blade moveset. I'm sure it's just a playstyle thing, but using a katana (other than the Washing Pole) or a normal straight sword in this game makes me feel completely crippled. I don't understand at all why so many goons love the Uchi.

Also, for an actual balance reason, because it has a lot less durability and higher requirements to wield. Also it might have slightly less range on the basic attacks, but I'm not positive about that.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
So I joined the Forest Covenant. Of course I'm hilariously underpowered compared to most people running through there but I'm managed to invade a couple people already being invaded and have racked up 230k souls. I have no clue what to spend it on.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I finally took the time to farm a balder sword last night. I really dig the two-hand moveset. Does less damage than an Uchi and doesn't have bleed, but it hits insanely fast and has legit range. Add CMW and it hits like a dump truck.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Because the katana's basic down-up slash moveset is kinda awful and boring compared to the curved blade moveset. I'm sure it's just a playstyle thing, but using a katana (other than the Washing Pole) or a normal straight sword in this game makes me feel completely crippled. I don't understand at all why so many goons love the Uchi.

Also, for an actual balance reason, because it has a lot less durability and higher requirements to wield. Also it might have slightly less range on the basic attacks, but I'm not positive about that.

Gonna just go back to using my falchion, which has a moveset I love (running 2h hit is delicious) and maybe my Balder Side Sword or Ricard's Rapier as an alternate.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Straight up, I outright prefer the falchion and scimitar to the katanas. On my ninja gimmick I'll use a scimitar 2handed because the moveset is so much more ninja-like without losing the aesthetic too much.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Okay guys, I know yesterday I said I felt like a god but it seems like my rapier isn't hitting hard enough now. I feel like I'm just whittling dudes down in like 5 minutes battles; is this par for the course? Or am I fighting in an area too hard for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Where are you and how upgraded is your rapier?

• Locked thread