Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

tooooooo bad posted:

It's also in the labyrinth, you'll need bombs to get to the shop that sells it.

Don't have bombs? Come b-- no, they're in the Giants' Graveyard but you can only get to them if you enter from the Tower of the Goddess. If you haven't gotten to the tower then you really don't have any business futzing around in the Twin Labyrinth yet.

:ohdear: Okay, say I just killed Bahamut. Who do I go kill next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Control Volume posted:

Oh man. Oh MAN. There's a software combination out there that boosts non-whip weapons and it absolutely trashes bosses like no other when you use the axe, and it's available as soon as you have access to fairies. I wish I had it before I had taken down 5 bosses, but whatever. Read on, interested parties!

You'll need two pieces of software, one of which costs 300 coins. One is in a tent hidden by a breakable wall on the left side of that waterfall area on the surface, called mekuri.exe. The other requires a key fairy in the Spring in the Sky. Once you get that fairy, go up a screen and it'll hover over the shop and make it explode. Then you go inside and buy randc.exe. Combine the two and murder everything with your non-whip weapon of choice. For those having trouble getting the fairy to spawn, the pattern is 4 stars going in a diamond pattern. If you don't get that pattern, quickly leave the screen before the fairy appears, which resets it.

I don't think this works on anything other than the knife. My axe doesn't seem to do any more damage. :\

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Pollyanna posted:

:ohdear: Okay, say I just killed Bahamut. Who do I go kill next?

Viy is your next major boss. Realistically, it will probably be a rather long time before you can take him on. You need to access the Tower of Ruin to be able to do this. I suggest you start poking around backside areas, especially the Temple of Moonlight.

MechaBread
Dec 17, 2009

Jazzhooves!
Videos of some goofy patches I made for the remake

It's a dog eat dog world out there and people don't have time to sit in a hot spring healing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDk8CCW2dc4

Or if you really hate water: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npEFHyORxQI

A guy in IRC was complaining about the fallstun in the remake so here's a more direct fallstun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDk8CCW2dc4

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Thievery posted:

I don't think this works on anything other than the knife. My axe doesn't seem to do any more damage. :\

It does. Not double, maybe like 1.5x or something like that. The whip combo in the original was a 2x thing and it is reduced in this one as well, but the increase is still significant, especially against bosses.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well, now that you defeated Ellmac there should be two entrances to the moonlight temple. The backside door that opens when you kill a boss, and the other way in the pyramid. You should be able to solve the necessary puzzle in the moonlight temple right now.
Ah! I see what I have to do. Flare gun on the sun symbol.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Zeether posted:

Ah! I see what I have to do. Flare gun on the sun symbol.
You can just jump and whip it. Just make sure it doesn't crush you.

Speaking of crushing, I finally defeated Shu and Nigoro are such dicks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Awww, why'd you have to go and ruin it by warning him?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

You can just jump and whip it. Just make sure it doesn't crush you.

Speaking of crushing, I finally defeated Shu and Nigoro are such dicks.

Yeah, it won't be the last time that happens either....

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Am I correct in thinking that I need to use the Seal to get to the treasure there?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Pollyanna posted:

Am I correct in thinking that I need to use the Seal to get to the treasure there?
Yeah you do. It's one of the later seals too, I believe. How did you take that screenshot though?

Underwhelmed posted:

Final Life stone stuff...
I did that part by hanging on the side of the platform you have to get on with the claws. When he did the geyser attack, all I had to do was let go and jump. You're pretty much out of range for his breath attack up there too.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 18, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Thievery posted:

Yes it does.

If anyone else is going crosseyed at the Endless Corridor door puzzle, I edited the graphics to show numbers instead of symbols. Take this file: http://i.imgur.com/IFs8P.png, dump it in C:\UsersLa-Mulana\data\graphics\00 and rename it map08_1.png. Back up the old one if you want.

ALL the graphics for the game are in that folder, so don't poke around too much, there could be spoilers maybe.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 18, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Exodee posted:

Yeah you do. It's one of the later seals too, I believe. How did you take that screenshot though?

It's from the Wiki. Useful for maps and item locations, but it doesn't help me beat bosses :gonk:

Is it just me, or do you have no choice but to get hit by Viy when he extends his eye? Jumping at him is the only way to get in range, and you WILL fall down to his body or at least get knocked back.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
I'm stuck at the top of the Tower at the Goddess. Can someone help me with the puzzle there?

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Pollyanna posted:

It's from the Wiki. Useful for maps and item locations, but it doesn't help me beat bosses :gonk:

Is it just me, or do you have no choice but to get hit by Viy when he extends his eye? Jumping at him is the only way to get in range, and you WILL fall down to his body or at least get knocked back.

depends, if he lasers the platforms then yeah pretty much, but if you stand at the tip of the platform early on like I said earlier you can get like six or seven good axe swings at him and just wreck his face

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Thievery posted:

It's just less noticeable with the axe due to it's slow attack speed, but it works great against bosses. The knife or even the keyblade will do decent damage with it on, as well.

Pollyanna posted:

Ah, that makes sense. For a moment there I thought you had an invisibility item or something.

quote:

If he didn't do his eye beam attack for a while, you should be able to stand adjacent and jump straight up to hit him. Other than that, you pretty much have to use ranged attacks if you want to play it safe. Even with double jump you'll nearly always collide with him if you try melee-ing. (buy some spears :ssh:)

vvv Probably with the gauntlets, yeah. Do you have a good shield? It'll block his uh... stuff, although you still have to dodge those flying dudes.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 19, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

^^ Is silver enough?

Forer posted:

depends, if he lasers the platforms then yeah pretty much, but if you stand at the tip of the platform early on like I said earlier you can get like six or seven good axe swings at him and just wreck his face

The goblins knock me back, though, and if not them then the fire. And is that with or without the gauntlet/attack increase?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 19, 2012

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Where do I go to get the serpent staff? Nothing specific just what area it's in.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Red Mundus posted:

Where do I go to get the serpent staff? Nothing specific just what area it's in.

Temple of the Moon

and another hint if you need something a little more specific...

Right of the door entry, there is a "puzzle" of sorts though

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Underwhelmed posted:

Temple of the Moon

and another hint if you need something a little more specific...

Right of the door entry, there is a "puzzle" of sorts though

Thank you!

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
So is it just me, or did they make Tiamat much easier?

Her attacks don't do a whole lot of damage, except for the wave, which is easily avoided, and the huge laser she does in her final phase. And using the randc.exe + mekuri.exe combo and the axe just completely wrecks her.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Pollyanna posted:

Is silver enough?
As long as you take it from the front, you should be okay. Make sure to stand a little back though, else you'll get hit from below anyway. You'll also avoid getting hit by those goblins this way.

Edit: Actually, you could probably also hit him during a fall. As long as you jumped straight up initially you should be able to steer away from him after the attack. A bit risky though.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 19, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I sure can't beat Viy if I keep getting trapped on his lovely loving body :mad:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

RaspberryCommie posted:

So is it just me, or did they make Tiamat much easier?

Her attacks don't do a whole lot of damage, except for the wave, which is easily avoided, and the huge laser she does in her final phase. And using the randc.exe + mekuri.exe combo and the axe just completely wrecks her.

Give hard mode a shot :rms:

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Pollyanna posted:

I sure can't beat Viy if I keep getting trapped on his lovely loving body :mad:
I think Viy isn't that bad if you take a more patient approach. Use lots of spears/ranged attacks (you should be able to chuck 2 spears each time if you time it right), keep your distance, and only go for melee if there's a good/safe opportunity (and right at the start of course). His most damaging attack is knocking you into his body, really. (which also has a horrible hit/walk-box and those tentacles keep knocking you into him and uggh)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Antinumeric posted:

There are three towers in the tower of the goddess, the grail point is on the far right one. You need the eye of truth to see the chest that you can open after killing the floating pyramids.

EoT spoiler:
Place a weight at the very top of the left tower and halfway up. It appears in the chest at the bottom. You may need to flood the tower for this to happen.

I have the eye of truth, I've flooded the tower, I've opened the room on the left side and I've taken a key fairy into the room left of the grail point and unlocked the Spaulder. I have no idea what pyramid enemies you are talking about, nor can I see a treasure chest anywhere in the rooms up there.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

tooooooo bad posted:

Give hard mode a shot :rms:

Doesn't hard mode just spawn more enemies?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

When you go through one of the bronze mirror doors and find a grail tablet is there any way to teleport to that? Or can you only use them to save?

Also, I heard a second computer shows up later, i'm at a point where I could do with more memory. Any ideas when?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

YESSSSSSSSS GOT THE MOTHERFUCKER

If you play extremely conservatively and make sure you keep the tentacles on your side down + equip fairy clothes + time your jumps so you get knockbacked onto the platforms and NOT the body, he's doable. A pain in the rear end, but doable.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Awww, why'd you have to go and ruin it by warning him?
Don't worry, I found out the hard way.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

RaspberryCommie posted:

Doesn't hard mode just spawn more enemies?

Not anymore. Bosses and minibosses do more damage and can take more damage. Some have a few slight behavior changes too.

e: new to the PC remake, supposedly it affects the Hell Temple too. :toot:

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 19, 2012

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Thievery posted:

When you go through one of the bronze mirror doors and find a grail tablet is there any way to teleport to that? Or can you only use them to save?

Also, I heard a second computer shows up later, i'm at a point where I could do with more memory. Any ideas when?

You find a rom later on that allows you to teleport to the backside areas.

And the second computer shows up when you beat Bahamut, I believe.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

tooooooo bad posted:

Not anymore. Bosses and minibosses do more damage and can take more damage. Some have a few slight behavior changes too.
Oh god, Ellmac on that difficulty would make me loving quit.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

RaspberryCommie posted:

You find a rom later on that allows you to teleport to the backside areas.

And the second computer shows up when you beat Bahamut, I believe.

Motherfucker. I took down Sakit > Ellmac > Snake dude, but I couldn't quite beat Bahamut. That being said since I first tried i've explored loads, got the axe + double jump, and more health, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tower of the Goddess :stare:

Quite the intro.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

tooooooo bad posted:

e: new to the PC remake, supposedly it affects the Hell Temple too. :toot:
I read that slab once, saw the warning and then saw it turn around after I exited out, and I was like FUUUUUUCK NO man, never looking at that thing again.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
I can't get Bahamut to spawn? I've hit the locked switch and killed that fish but I'm clearly missing something, as the ankh isn't where I think it should be.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Verviticus posted:

I can't get Bahamut to spawn? I've hit the locked switch and killed that fish but I'm clearly missing something, as the ankh isn't where I think it should be.

Drain the water into the boss room.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finally heard back from support about not being able to connect to their website, and they had somehow blacklisted my IP address even though I had never gone to playism. Got that settled, so let's start this adventure up. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Has anyone gotten the original music mod to work? I tried, but I don't get an option to switch music.

For those that have gotten it to work, does the music loop properly?

• Locked thread