Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I always enjoyed new getter robo more then armageddon to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Broken Loose posted:

Because the fanbase is Final Fantasy 7/Nintendo/Star Wars/Batman levels of intolerable, to the point where they claim it's the only good product in its entire genre?
And whenever someone talks about Gurren Lagann, ever, you can be sure that Broken Loose will be there to tell you about how he hates the fanbase.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Captain Invictus posted:

And whenever someone talks about Gurren Lagann, ever, you can be sure that Broken Loose will be there to tell you about how he hates the fanbase.

Actually, my thing right now is to hype up Code Geass R2 because of overblown goon hatred (and I really liked it).

Everybody should watch Gurren Lagann, it's a fantastic show and probably like the 3rd best of the last decade! I'm sad that I haven't seen the movies, yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The movies, as said, are mostly just recap stuff. At one point they literally just do a still image montage of the Rossiu/Bath House episodes, and unless I passed out they skipped the Kittan introductory episode entirely.

Which, granted, makes the "Don't worry! Kittan of the Black Siblings is here to save the day!" "Who are you again?" exchange much funnier.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Monaghan posted:

I'm... going to agree! Only slightly though. I kind of walked away dissapointed with the endings of both however.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Put me in a camp that didn't like the 2nd GL movie, especially the final fight. Felt it way overstayed its welcome, while the series finale version ended it perfectly.

Seriously not a fan of 3 minutes punching the Anti-Spiral after the multi-robot final attack

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Put me in a camp that didn't like the 2nd GL movie, especially the final fight. Felt it way overstayed its welcome, while the series finale version ended it perfectly.

Seriously not a fan of 3 minutes punching the Anti-Spiral after the multi-robot final attack

Yeah, I hated the hell out of that. The final attack in the original show was pretty much pitch-perfect. Making it longer and more boring added nothing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Broken Loose posted:

Actually, my thing right now is to hype up Code Geass R2 because of overblown goon hatred (and I really liked it).

Everybody should watch Gurren Lagann, it's a fantastic show and probably like the 3rd best of the last decade! I'm sad that I haven't seen the movies, yet.

Yeah, I need to see Geass, though some very poorly-tagged spoilers have ruined some of it for me, I do hear that at least the first season is excellent.

You ought to grab the DVDs or Blu-Rays off of Amazon. I think I got them for a combined cost of about 30 bucks. And the new animation for certain scenes, such as when Simon breaks out of his grief is just phenomenal.

Tae posted:

Meh, I liked it. Somehow I enjoyed that even after all of that absurdity and engulfing an entire universe into their ultimate battle, it still all came down to two dudes beating the poo poo out of each other.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 19, 2012

KoB
May 1, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I need to see Geass, though some very poorly-tagged spoilers have ruined some of it for me, I do hear that at least the first season is excellent.

You ought to grab the DVDs or Blu-Rays off of Amazon. I think I got them for a combined cost of about 30 bucks. And the new animation for certain scenes, such as when Simon breaks out of his grief is just phenomenal.

Meh, I liked it. Somehow I enjoyed that even after all of that absurdity and engulfing an entire universe into their ultimate battle, it still all came down to two dudes beating the poo poo out of each other.

I liked it too. The Machines were just a means focus spiral power. The Anti-spiral was fearful of humans, not machines. They make bigger and bigger robots and the anti-spiral meets them at every step. I like that in the end its finished not by a machine, but by a man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

The best way I can describe Geass is that the first season has problems and the second season has Problems.

It has the Guren though and that fucker's basically one of the best robots ever so hey.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I don't think the concept and philosophy of the GL movie fight was bad, but the tone and pace was really a dead stop and was kinda awkward to watch.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It has the Guren though and that fucker's basically one of the best robots ever so hey.

lancelot for life :colbert:

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
That reminds me...I'm actually looking forward to the new Geass side story OVA because the chronology and tech level are going back to somewhere between both seasons, which means more room for ground combat instead of everyone just flying around.

There's a new trailer for that here, which looks pretty nice in my opinion despite the use of 3D CGI, but even then the result actually works better than I initially expected. Yes, even with the Alexander being an odd design with a slightly silly pose at the end. It also seems likely there will be less problems in other areas with someone like Kazuki Akane in charge (see: Escaflowne, Noein, Birdy the Mighty Decode).

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 19, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wielder posted:

That reminds me...I'm actually looking forward to the new Geass side story OVA because the chronology and tech level are going back to somewhere between both seasons, which means more room for ground combat instead of everyone just flying around.

There's a new trailer for that here, which looks pretty nice in my opinion despite the use of 3D CGI, but even then the result actually works better than I initially expected. Yes, even with the Alexander being an odd design with a slightly silly pose at the end. It also seems likely there will be less problems in other areas with someone like Kazuki Akane in charge (see: Escaflowne, Noein, Birdy the Mighty Decode) .

To my understanding I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for that staying at a ground-focused techbase. Supposedly Lancelot and Suzaku show up in episode 2. Maybe it'll be a surprise.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

To my understanding I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for that staying at a ground-focused techbase. Supposedly Lancelot and Suzaku show up in episode 2. Maybe it'll be a surprise.

I've heard about that, but it doesn't mean everything will change to R2 levels of flight technology though. Supposedly Suzaku is seen on a train in the next episode's preview, so at the very least he's not flying the Lancelot in.

I also recall flight packs were still fairly energy-draining at the end of R1, so my guess is they'll mostly be used in a similar manner here, rather than taken for granted. Even then, I wouldn't hate having a limited use of flying mecha if they're better choreographed, which is admittedly easier to do in 3D.

wielder fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 20, 2012

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
All that talk about what shows are overhyped or what shows have a bad fanbase or whatever, and all this talk about Code Geass and Gurren Lagann, it just makes me sad. Code Geass is getting a new OVA thing, Gurren Lagann got two movies...

Nobody talks about how great Shin Mazinger is. Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Great-hen is never coming out is it? :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

All that talk about what shows are overhyped or what shows have a bad fanbase or whatever, and all this talk about Code Geass and Gurren Lagann, it just makes me sad. Code Geass is getting a new OVA thing, Gurren Lagann got two movies...

Nobody talks about how great Shin Mazinger is. Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Great-hen is never coming out is it? :negative:

Stop making the pain come back. :smith:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Mercury Crusader posted:

Shin mazinger thought it a bright idea to start the series with the incredibly cool final attack on the bad guy and then follow it up with incomprehensible flash forward bullshit, they've only themselves to blame.:colbert:

Bitter? Me? Never.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Artum posted:

Shin mazinger thought it a bright idea to start the series with the incredibly cool final attack on the bad guy and then follow it up with incomprehensible flash forward bullshit, they've only themselves to blame.:colbert:

Bitter? Me? Never.

Having the entire first episode "in medias res" was awesome and I will not hear otherwise.

You could say that the first episode is art. :wotwot:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Monaghan posted:

I stand by my opinion that Dragon is a better OP than Heats.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Shin Mazinger was far from perfect, but it really hit it's stride during/after the Schtroheim arc. Looking at the concept art for the Great Mazinger is heartbreaking.

...still, there is a small amount of satisfaction in knowing that, after all these years, Baron Ashura finally achieved victory.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mercury Crusader posted:

Having the entire first episode "in medias res" was awesome and I will not hear otherwise.

You could say that the first episode is art. :wotwot:

The first episode is certainly art, but that doesn't mean it is good.
It would have made a fantastic trailer, but Shin Mazinger should have started on the second episode.

Besides, it wrecks the reveal of the big bang punch.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

Besides, it wrecks the reveal of the big bang punch.
Not really? Because yes the first episode shows off the big bang punch but it's nothing like what it ends up looking in the series. You also don't get any of the context for what Big Bang Punch is or why it exists or anything else.

As a side note to all of this. After reading the Mazinger Z manga I was surprised that pretty much all of the major plot points have been covered in the Shin Mazinger anime. Even the short side story by Ken Ishikawa.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Lostconfused posted:

Not really? Because yes the first episode shows off the big bang punch but it's nothing like what it ends up looking in the series. You also don't get any of the context for what Big Bang Punch is or why it exists or anything else.

Mazinger flies into the air and turns into a giant golden fist in Ep 1. I'm pretty sure that's what the Big Bang Punch is all right!

I watched all of Shin Mazinger, loved it, and I maintain episode 1 was a terrible first episode.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Sometimes I go on youtube and listen to Kanjite Knight, and get really pumped for cool new anime, but don't find any :negative:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Getter Robo Armageddon was the series that Yasuhiro Imagawa directed the first few episodes of then got fired, right? If so, I saw that years ago and remember the early episodes being way better than the later ones, though that could just be my Imagawa fanboyism.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I haven't looked into the production history, but I'm not sure he 'got fired', they just switched directors due to the fact that the world blows the gently caress up in the third episode. A change of directors is a good way to somewhat subtly change the 'feel' of the anime to match that.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I'm not an expert on the subject, but there is this old interview with Imagawa that answered the question:

quote:

Q) You were initially placed in charge of the OVA "Getter Robo: The Last Days On Earth". However, after the first batch of episodes, you were reportedly replaced. How much would you say the rest of the series differed from what you had had in mind for it?

A) It should be a very different story. The reason for leaving was a very long story and unpleasant. So I didn’t want them to use my idea and I hope it turned out inconsistent. Only the first three episodes reflect my ideas. If you pay attention, you can see that there are embedded plot developments in the first three episodes that are not resolved that I didn’t let them use.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

quote:

I haven't looked into the production history, but I'm not sure he 'got fired', they just switched directors due to the fact that the world blows the gently caress up in the third episode. A change of directors is a good way to somewhat subtly change the 'feel' of the anime to match that.

No, it is crystal clear that Imagawa did not plan on leaving so early. The first three episodes set up a ton of mysteries and plot threads that never get resolved (or are summarily glossed over) because he took his scripts with him when he was kicked off the project and the replacement had no idea what the gently caress.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ah, okay, fair enough. It's been a bit since I watched that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Now if it was a Gundam OVA, the director probably died :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The ending to Gurren Lagann was awesome but strangely abrupt, I guess I'm used about half of the last episode of something be dedicated to 'six months later' where-are-they-now stuff.

I wish Mass Effect 3 had ended more like GL.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A galaxy-sized Mako exploding into a moon-sized Mako exploding into a city-sized Mako exploding into a Mako-sized Mako exploding into a Shepherd, punching a Reaper.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You forgot the part where the Mako gets stuck on geometry.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What do you think makes it explode every time?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't think the world of animation is ready for something so sick-nasty.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Turns out I didn't watch after the credits in the last episode of GL and missed a bunch of stuff. :downs:

Can't believe the second movie actually managed to make the ending even more nuts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think Manjaw Yoko and squarejaw Rossiu ruined the post-credits sequence for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Invictus posted:

I think Manjaw Yoko and squarejaw Rossiu ruined the post-credits sequence for me.

Everyone looked a lot older than '20 years in the future', 40 years would have been more believable.

Of course, this is anime and people start looking old as soon as they hit 30.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The post-credits was animated by the third string animation team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I found it entertaining that the voice actor for Rossiu got changed at the end.

• Locked thread