Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Good job Fontoyn.

Kekekela posted:

I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere with striking, mainly because I've finally figured out what my style is...basically working inside (my friend says its "bull rush in and throw a lot of punches" but I like to think I'm refining it :colbert: ).

This is a great style when flailing with limbs.

Strikechat:

Boxed for four days straight and my theme for the week was trying to counter when backpedaling (often in terror). Getting one punch in when you are walking backwards is incredibly difficult, especially to land with any authority instead of just a weak pop. But when it hits... hehehe! The timing and eye it requires is just... whoah. I have so much to learn. Positives: trying to learn has maybe never been as much fun as it is right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

I was told that it would be "unfair to the higher belts" if I competed in a divison where I hadn't earned the belt, which is hilarious to me because that means it's somehow NOT unfair to the white belts to have a dude sandbag their division?

That's really strange. Going up a weight class or going up a belt level for a competition has always been fair game in my experience. Heck, if it's a small tournament people are encouraged to do their normal weight/level and do a second bracket going up either a weight or an experience level just to get more matches and see how they do.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bohemian Nights posted:

It certainly looks like you've been in a fight! Congratulations on your broken face. Who ended up winning? Did you film it?

I won via decision.

No video yet; I don't know who was running the fight league so it could be awhile. You'll eventually get the chance to see me Forrest Griffen my way to a victory though.

Thanks guys!

edit: and I don't ever want to win a fight like forrest ever again

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 20, 2012

Chokeslam
Jan 1, 2007
Make him humble
eh i wouldnt stress too much time spent at various belt levels. if you're training regularly you're going to get better, and different people hit plateaus at different points.

i took 2.5 years to get blue, then just 1 year to get purple (yeah its below the ibjjf required time that one), then 3 years to brown.

end of the day everyone progresses differently, and improvement is rarely in a straight line. its pretty silly to follow any arbitrary timeframe.

on competing if you've been training a long time and haven't had the chance to grade in bjj for whatever reason i'd enter the higher division. have seen plenty do it over here, especially guys with judo backgrounds. imo its stupid having people with 4-5+ years grappling experience competing at whitebelt. its not like there's a record of who is or isn't a blue belt they can consult and deny you on. the only thing to be aware of is once you've entered at blue belt dont expect to be able to compete back at white belt.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Coloured Gi's, What is acceptable and what is not? I might be buying one soon.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Everything is acceptable and the more outrageous the better. However, some tournaments will have specific rules regarding coloured gi's. I believe the IBJJF for instance allows white, blue and black gi's, but you can't wear a blue top and black pants, for instance.

Personally I would recommend a tiger stripe gi if you are a classy gentleman

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

White, blue and black are all pretty common in BJJ gyms, judo gyms will probably only allow white and blue, some crazy-strict gyms will only allow white. It really varies from club to club, some places put a lot of stock in that stuff, some don't care at all. I rock purple. Scout out the potential gyms in advance of the gi purchase.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

White, blue and black are all pretty common in BJJ gyms, judo gyms will probably only allow white and blue, some crazy-strict gyms will only allow white. It really varies from club to club, some places put a lot of stock in that stuff, some don't care at all. I rock purple. Scout out the potential gyms in advance of the gi purchase.

Clearly the gi comes ahead of the gym. I too want to rock the purple gi, I'll see what this place is like on thursday.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Fontoyn posted:

I won via decision.

No video yet; I don't know who was running the fight league so it could be awhile. You'll eventually get the chance to see me Forrest Griffen my way to a victory though.

Thanks guys!

edit: and I don't ever want to win a fight like forrest ever again

As one of my fighter friends puts it:

"I'd rather be remembered for my quick submissions than my impressive heart."

mewse
May 2, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

As one of my fighter friends puts it:

"I'd rather be remembered for my quick submissions than my impressive heart."

Amen! I've said to one of my coaches a couple times that I don't want to be that guy that can really take a beating

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
There's only one Gi worth wearing.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
The only gi is this one.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I rock this one.

http://www.combativesgear.com/products/ACU-Camouflage-Pattern-GI.html

Represent that digi-cam. Helio Soneca thought it was awesome.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
Speaking of bjj dress. In my gym I am the only guy who has a plain white gi with no patches. Everyone else has patches on their arms, legs, chests, backs and asses.
The other thing is, please wear a rash guard or tee shirt under your gi. My instructor doesn't and I keep my mouth shut about it , but please! I don't want ypu bare sweaty man bod rubbing up on me. Last night we were drilling top and bottom mount and tbis super nice but big and sweaty guy was on top of me and at one point we ended up with my face in his chest and I tapped. It was just too wet for me.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
drat that creatine makes me look buff after a newaza sesh. Wish the feeling lasted more than a few hours. One of the brown belts was showing me this:

Really hard to tuck your chin when you're stretched out like that. I love when people from other clubs come to ours for a few sessions, I always pick their brain and get some new stuff.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

BJJ people call that a bow and arrow choke, it's a pretty sweet back attack.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Antinumeric posted:

Clearly the gi comes ahead of the gym. I too want to rock the purple gi, I'll see what this place is like on thursday.

Clearly you need a pink gi. A red one (like Ken would wear), is slightly less cool.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Speaking of gi talk mine smells rancid. Any tips? Going to throw vinegar in the wash with it. Possibly a bit of bleach.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

BJJ people call that a bow and arrow choke, it's a pretty sweet back attack.

That looks like a crucifix with a basic collar choke (if you raise the underhook arm a bit and grab your other forearm it becomes a figure-four collar choke, which is stupid tight). The bow and arrow choke has a leg across the waist, and the second hand on the pant leg.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Kali11324 posted:

Speaking of bjj dress. In my gym I am the only guy who has a plain white gi with no patches. Everyone else has patches on their arms, legs, chests, backs and asses.
The other thing is, please wear a rash guard or tee shirt under your gi. My instructor doesn't and I keep my mouth shut about it , but please! I don't want ypu bare sweaty man bod rubbing up on me. Last night we were drilling top and bottom mount and tbis super nice but big and sweaty guy was on top of me and at one point we ended up with my face in his chest and I tapped. It was just too wet for me.

Suck it up man, your instructor doesnt because youre not supposed to, having a t shirt on under a gi is a good way to mangle someones fingers when theyre going for collar grips etc, plus it just looks stupid. Unless youre a woman dont wear anything under the gi

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

drat that creatine makes me look buff after a newaza sesh. Wish the feeling lasted more than a few hours. One of the brown belts was showing me this:

Really hard to tuck your chin when you're stretched out like that. I love when people from other clubs come to ours for a few sessions, I always pick their brain and get some new stuff.

I love those type of back attacks because they work ridiculously well with a gi on and are a superb way to turn a turtling opponent. Between that, the bow and arrow choke and the clock choke you get a good set of chokes to rush for when someone turtles during a comp.

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Suck it up man, your instructor doesnt because youre not supposed to, having a t shirt on under a gi is a good way to mangle someones fingers when theyre going for collar grips etc, plus it just looks stupid. Unless youre a woman dont wear anything under the gi

Let me disagree with this. Seriously, wear a rash guard under your gi. T-shirts will just make you warmer and it sucks, but a rashguard is much less gross for other people and it keeps you cooler/helps you not get rashes as the name suggests. It's just that much more pleasant to roll with someone who wears a rash guard underneath his gi.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Kali11324 posted:

I dunno if I'm weird but I never usually notice sweat when I roll. The only time is when sweat literally drips in my mouth. But I've always seen it as just part of the game.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

generatrix posted:

That looks like a crucifix with a basic collar choke (if you raise the underhook arm a bit and grab your other forearm it becomes a figure-four collar choke, which is stupid tight). The bow and arrow choke has a leg across the waist, and the second hand on the pant leg.

This man is correct. I got bow and arrow choked two days ago, and it's definitely the hand on the pant leg.

Also, wear a rash guard. Nobody wants to roll with the sweaty guy. Not even if you've been training for years, and have a great ability of ignoring the discomfort... it'd still be preferable if they'd contain themselves. Anyone who's grappled for any length of time has dealt with the ramifications of poor hygiene in the rolling partners (ringworm, staph, etc).

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I go commando under the gi, I just feel too hot if I wear something else under it. Its been my experience that the sweaty guys just end up water-boarding you with their soaking wet rash guards if they're wearing one anyway so its not a huge upgrade from bare skin.

Obviously I'm much newer at this than a lot of people in this thread but I asked around at our gym when I started and the upper belts said that it was personal preference, and if I didn't want to wear a rash guard underneath it was cool. I'd say we've got about a 50/50 split of those who wear a rash guard or t-shirt (I realize these are two very different things) vs those that go without.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kekekela posted:

I go commando under the gi, I just feel too hot if I wear something else under it. Its been my experience that the sweaty guys just end up water-boarding you with their soaking wet rash guards if they're wearing one anyway so its not a huge upgrade from bare skin.

Obviously I'm much newer at this than a lot of people in this thread but I asked around at our gym when I started and the upper belts said that it was personal preference, and if I didn't want to wear a rash guard underneath it was cool. I'd say we've got about a 50/50 split of those who wear a rash guard or t-shirt (I realize these are two very different things) vs those that go without.

as someone who doesn't own a gi, but regularly rolls with people who do:

please wear a rashguard. it's disgusting when I have to feel any amount of your skin on my skin (esp. my face) and I would much rather be 'waterboarded by a rashguard' than be forced to inhale your chest hair.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
If touching people is disgusting to you maybe you should switch to tennis or something

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tennis is, quite frankly, ridiculous as a martial art

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.
I actually just started not wearing a shirt under my gi for the first time last week. There's a number of guys who don't wear shirts under the gi and I've never cared much at all rolling with them, even when their belt comes loose. It feels a lot better not having a soaking wet shirt on underneath. I could see wearing a rashguard, but it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

My grossest experience has probably been when my ear was pressed up against another guy's ear when we were starting on the feet in no-gi and we were both already covered in sweat.

The only time I've ever had a consistent problem rolling with someone was with this dude who just had this bad body odor, you didn't even have to be rolling with him to smell it, just somewhat close to him.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Fontoyn posted:

please wear a rashguard. it's disgusting when I have to feel any amount of your skin on my skin (esp. my face) and I would much rather be 'waterboarded by a rashguard' than be forced to inhale your chest hair.
I don't have chest hair so its all good man.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

niethan posted:

If touching people is disgusting to you maybe you should switch to tennis or something
Yeah if you're focused on what people are wearing and the fact that this poo poo makes you sweaty you need to re-examine your priorities

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

generatrix posted:

Welp, you're right. I've never seen that before, it's a cool idea.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Welp, you're right. I've never seen that before, it's a cool idea.

I thought it was a bow and arrow, too. :hfive:

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

mewse posted:

Tennis is, quite frankly, ridiculous as a martial art

:laffo:

I'll look into those other ones Colliwog. Every time we have a newaza session they try to each me a new turnover so I've got 100 of them in my head and I suck at all of them. I just want a few that I'm good at. I'm just going to drill the same few turnovers from now on and if they find it disrespectful, well too bad. I'm there to get better at Judo, not watch how good other people are at it and then fail to replicate it.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Fontoyn posted:

If I couldn't feel sweaty skin on skin while grappling, I wouldn't even bother

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Fontoyn posted:

If you don't wear a gi and you roll with people aren't you the one that is really showing a lot more skin than someone that isn't wearing a rash guard under their gi? o.O

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
So that wrist I hurt doing takedowns two loving months ago... Turns out its broken :smith:

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Jesus christ, wear a rashguard. I hate going to Judo classes where fat old hairy men don't wear one. Plus, Im not interested in yet another goddamn staph infection, which is the biggest reason to cover up as much of your skin on skin contact as possible.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

In 12 years I've never had any sort of infection that could be caused by jujitsu or judo, how about you just use soap and make sure the mat is clean after every class??? idk

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

In 12 years I've never had any sort of infection that could be caused by jujitsu or judo, how about you just use soap and make sure the mat is clean after every class??? idk

Same in about 8 years, we clean the mats and I shower after class and dont grapple with people that have infections. I dont get how a sport where youre supposed to be hurting other people and rolling around with them manages to attract so many hypochondriac nerds who hate being uncomfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Same in about 8 years, we clean the mats and I shower after class and dont grapple with people that have infections. I dont get how a sport where youre supposed to be hurting other people and rolling around with them manages to attract so many hypochondriac nerds who hate being uncomfortable
forums.somethingawful.com

• Locked thread