Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

AstroWhale posted:

Let me tell you about the movie "God forgives..I don't" with Terrence Hill and Bud Spencer.Its violent and not funny at all.But the stars were known as funny guys in germany.So they just recut and redub the movie and call it "Zwei vom Affen gebissen" (engl. : Two guys bitten by monkeys)

This

became this:

tl;dr: German dubbing sucks.

The Bud Spencer and Terence Hill movies all got the same treatment in dutch for pretty much the same reason: "de vier vuisten" (the four fists) and then some "funny" subtitle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

degauss
Aug 28, 2007

When I get sad, I
stop being sad and
be AWESOME instead.

True story.
Question about the Bloeugrancy - is it pronounced with a soft g or a hard g? I need to know for when I order my ticket.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

degauss posted:

Question about the Bloeugrancy - is it pronounced with a soft g or a hard g? I need to know for when I order my ticket.

Blooh (wood)

Grahn (dawn)

See

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Blooh (wood)

Grahn (dawn)

See

And to be truly French the main emphasis is on the last syllable.

Peanut President posted:

The Bloeugrancey 2: Electric Boogaloeugrancey. :colbert:

One of the rare, rare times when this sequel joke is actually funny. Great choice.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

demolina posted:

In Uncle Buck at least they all (on the right hand side) look like they're present for the photo shoot.

Freeloaders everyone is the wrong colour/lighting. It looks like a really boring collage.

not only that they have the wrong expression for holding a door back, they're all grinning for the camera. Uncle Buck is like a one-panel comic.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Regarding foreign titles, two of the better ones I saw in a French video store were "Hamburger Film Sandwich" (Kentucky Fried Movie) and "Cheeseburger Film Sandwich" (Amazon Women on the Moon).

And in Italy, Silent Running was "2002: Second Odyssey", while an obscure comedy called Martians Go Home was released as "Spaceballs 2". I love Italian copyright law.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Hedenius posted:

There was a similar bizarre thing going on with Goldie Hawn. She played the lead in The Girl from Petrovka which was translated to swedish as Tjejen från Petrovka (literally: the girl from Petrovka). Foul Play was then translated to Tjejen som visste för mycket (the girl who knew too much). Pretty much all of Hawn's film during the 70's and 80's then followed this pattern. The girl who...

Is it possible that "The Girl Who Played with Fire" et. al. was an attempt to piggyback on this?

Edit: VVV OK, so it just worked in reverse for some reason. Interesting!

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 20, 2012

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

HoldYourFire posted:

Is it possible that "The Girl Who Played with Fire" et. al. was an attempt to piggyback on this?

Not in Sweden since none of those titles were original titles.

The first book was called Men Who Hate Women or something like that.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

FishBulb posted:

Not in Sweden since none of those titles were original titles.

The first book was called Men Who Hate Women or something like that.

The second one was "The girl who played with fire" and the third one was "The air castle that exploded".

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Pingiivi posted:

The second one was "The girl who played with fire" and the third one was "The air castle that exploded".

I was just about to type this. drat my slow fingers.

Even though the second film retained its original title in English, I seriously doubt that they're piggybacking on the Goldie Hawn films.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Vagabundo posted:

Can we please not do a TDKR derail? Here's a terrible poster to talk about instead.

I can't stop looking at the disembodied female beckoning hand from the right. Is this an Addams Family remake? :O

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Sorry to bring these incredibly old posts from... yesterday back up, but

Physical posted:

^^^ Hah what?! Die Hard doesn't translate to German better than to die slowly? Because Die Slowly sounds like he is a cancer patient and will inevitably die. Die Hard implies that there is a good chance that he won't.

Whatever the hell they meant when they named the movie. What habit was he not letting go of? Being a cop? I thought they just wanted to convey that he is hard to kill.
It's actually more like "Die Slowly!" (imperative) which indicates you don't want to grant the person a quick death. I realize that this is even less relevant to the movie but I just wanted to clear this up.

Trump posted:

When I was a wee lad checking out the cinema listings, I always asked my mother what the titles meant. When I asked what Die Hard meant, she translated it as Die Heart.

The "Die" part sounded pretty cool, but the "heart" was a bit too girlish, so I skipped it on purpose when going to the video store some time later... I got Commando instead though! (My parents didn't give a gently caress what I watched)
Don't you mean... Phantom Kommando? :human being:

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 21, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I have the opportunity to buy Drew Struzan's The Thing poster that mondo recently did for $400 USD shipped to New Zealand. It has been going for around $460 not including shipping on ebay so what do you guys think?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

I have the opportunity to buy Drew Struzan's The Thing poster that mondo recently did for $400 USD shipped to New Zealand. It has been going for around $460 not including shipping on ebay so what do you guys think?

Do it, you son of a bitch. Although I don't think Bill English would approve, since it's a bit decadent, but gently caress that guy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

I also like how Dave Foley looks like he just genuinely does not give a gently caress.

I don't think he does. Some actors gain or lose weight or work out like crazy, Dave Foley can't be bothered to shave off his beard.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

lessthankyle posted:

It's really not that weird considering how many people just on this thread didn't know what they were. If you're nit picking over "they look nothing like" then sure, it's a little hyperbolic, but it's a generic enough design that it could be any number of things. Any number of small changes would have made them immediately apparent to be coffee cups. It's nice that you saw it, but a bunch of people didn't.
Yeah, I was mostly just pointing out the hyperbole. There's a pretty big difference between the statement "they look nothing like coffee cups", and the statement "they look like a number of very different things, since they're too simplified" though. They do look like coffee cups, as well as frying pans and poo poo, which is (one reason) why the design is bad.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Mister Chief posted:

If you don't buy this I will mail myself to your house to slap you. That poster is gorgeous!

Talks To Cats
Jan 7, 2012
I hate my job and I hate you, but I'll put up with my job because it makes me a shit-ton of money. I can tell you how to do the same...but you won't listen.

I support charity:water with my erotica charity bundles. Water changes everything.

Vagabundo posted:

A somewhat less interesting new poster for The Dinosaur Project

Oh boy, it's... the loch ness monster?

Seriously, how hard is it to stick with the T-Rex? Maybe remind people of that other dinosaur movie.

:v:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Anyone else think 'The Dinosaur Project' was the just working title that no one could be arsed changing?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Anyone else think 'The Dinosaur Project' was the just working title that no one could be arsed changing?

They definitely should have named it Lizard Combatant.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Young Freud posted:

In the 25th century, the corporate cartel, the Bloeugrancey, have taken over France, then the world, and are now working on the solar system. They're are pockets still on Earth that exist outside the Bloeugrancey, where a reactionary trend to all the glowing cyberpunk poo poo is aping an idealized, '30s, film noir lifestyle. In New Orleans, a returning French Foreign Legion vet has to work with the Resistance to prevent Cajun mob lords from selling out to the Bloeugrancey.

Meanwhile, The MANATCA are hatching a plot to reclaim their syndicate's former place in the organized crime hierarchy.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

kiimo posted:

They definitely should have named it Lizard Combatant.

I didn't want to say it, but yes.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

lovely French poster for Lawless, or Men Without Statutes. It makes the other posters* look like masterpieces.

* Other posters here

Vagabundo posted:

The posters for John Hillcoat's latest are out.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

lovely French poster for Lawless, or Men Without Statutes. It makes the other posters* look like masterpieces.

* Other posters here

No way, look at that one of Gary Oldman again. It's at least a thousand times better than that. By association it drags the others down.

Also, is that the film where someone said Tom Hardy and Shia LeBeouf had a fight and Hardy was sucker punched?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

demolina posted:

Also, is that the film where someone said Tom Hardy and Shia LeBeouf had a fight and Hardy was sucker punched?

Beef claimed he got into a scuffle with Hardy and that afterwards, Hardy never tried any roughousing with him or some such bullshit.

Hardy joked about what a menace lovely Beef is and how he's a dangerous boy, with a poo poo-eating grin on his face.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What in gently caress's name is going on with Guy Pearce in Lawless? He looks like all the flesh has been stripped from his head.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What in gently caress's name is going on with Guy Pearce in Lawless? He looks like all the flesh has been stripped from his head.

The make-up removal after Prometheus went horribly wrong.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's normally a gaunt looking guy but in the trailer, he looks like a starving Crispin Glover.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Vagabundo posted:

A somewhat less interesting new poster for The Dinosaur Project

I hope this is just an earlier chapter of Muldoon's life.

Also, I like all the American "Lawless" posters except for Shia because its such a stupid pose and Oldman because his face looks so bad.

I love Hardy's poster so much.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm still amused at people irrationally hating Shia LeBoeuf.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm still amused at people irrationally hating Shia LeBoeuf.

I don't irrationally hate him, he's a just a poor man's Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Vagabundo posted:

Can we please not do a TDKR derail? Here's a terrible poster to talk about instead.

Josh Lawson is a handsome dude but movie posters do seem to feel the need to photoshop the hell out of him.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

This is clearly comprised of file photos of the various actors (except maybe Seymour, assuming she's the one in the wig.)

Like, Olivia Munn's face there is clearly from a Maxim pictorial.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

Vagabundo posted:

Beef claimed he got into a scuffle with Hardy and that afterwards, Hardy never tried any roughousing with him or some such bullshit.

Hardy joked about what a menace lovely Beef is and how he's a dangerous boy, with a poo poo-eating grin on his face.

I had an extended argument with a friend of mine over Hardy's explanation of the incident. I believe, as you appear to, that he was being facetious, talking about waking up in the arms of his trainer and asking what happened. While wearing a cardigan sweater.

She seemed to believe he was trying to use humor to mask the shame of actually being KOed by LaBoof.

Look -- could Shia beat up Hardy? I...guess. Anything's possible. There's TMZ footage of Shia getting his rear end kicked in a bar fight, so he's at least willing to rumble. But I just can't accept the possibility of that scrawny wiener physically overpowering Hardy, who was bulking up for Bane at the time of the "Lawless" shoot and was probably gacked out of his mind on steroids.

I suspect LeBeef had a tantrum, pushed/shoved Hardy, and declared it a win while Hardy was too amused/pity-filled to escalate the situation.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
who cares

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is clearly comprised of file photos of the various actors (except maybe Seymour, assuming she's the one in the wig.)

Like, Olivia Munn's face there is clearly from a Maxim pictorial.

There's something disturbing about how no one is looking in a logical direction or has a facial expression that matches the action they're performing. It's like a bunch of robots malfunctioned and threw themselves against a door. The Oliviabot was stuck in sex mode.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What I want to know is who's hand that is on the far right.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

How dare they associate the greatest Australian film of all time with that dreg.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Mister Chief posted:

How dare they associate the greatest Australian film of all time with that dreg.

Because they made it too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheJoker138 posted:

What I want to know is who's hand that is on the far right.

What I want to know is who any of those people are, and why I should give a poo poo about a movie with them in it. It's sort of the point of movie posters, I'm told.