Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm thinking either that or they just drop the XIII and call it "Final Fantasy Versus" or something silly. When you get to XV I think saying the game title aloud is a little silly; pretty much every other big franchise has switched to subtitles at this point except Dragon Quest, and they're only just now getting to X.

"Versus" has always seemed like a stupid addition to the title to me. Ever since Agito XIII became Type-0, I've been waiting for them to rebrand Versus XIII as something else. I mean, Ivalice Alliance is spread across multiple games under different brands, no reason why FNC can't be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Moldy Taxes posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Versus XIII was rebranded as XV.

A public admission that they are such complete poo poo at making a game that they had to substitute a completely different game in place of the next of the series? I don't think that's a very good idea.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Winks posted:

The trailer music from years ago is what's in theatrhythm.

I know that song has been around for years, but putting it in the game is still acknowledging its existence. That article said that Square Enix is trying to let the game fade from public attention, but if they're including it in their latest game, that doesn't seem likely.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Vaerai Archon posted:

No it was for Final Fantasy 11.

Actually, FF11 was the most profitable game in the series, even moreso than FF7.

However, if you meant that FF11 was rushed, I would believe that as they say that the Japanese release was a huge disaster almost as big as FF14's launch. It's just that they waited a couple years to release it here, nobody in the west ever knew and it got good reviews.

It's pretty common knowledge that the Spirits Within was basically Square's big disaster and was what forced them to merge with Enix. I've seen worse movies out there, but a movie with fully CG actors was an experiment that just didn't work - most audiences probably found it stepped into Uncanny Valley.

One thing that really kinda bugged me about the film at release though was that it had absolutely nothing to do with Final Fantasy except for the name of the film, the fact that it was CG and it had a guy named Cid. No Chocobos, no Moogles, no swords or magic or anything. I wouldn't be surprised if it was originally developed as something else, and they just slapped the Final Fantasy name on it because that would make it sell better.

Final Fantasy hasn't really done very well outside of videogames. Advent Children was fairly popular, but that was mostly in part due to the fact that there are a lot of FF7 fanboys out there that will eat that poo poo up. I think the movie itself wasn't very good, though.

Final Fantasy Unlimited was a fairly obscure anime, and I bet a lot of people haven't even heard of it. It didn't do very well, and I never saw it beyond the first couple episodes. Even more obscure is the Legend of the Crystals, which was an OVA based on FFV. I can't comment on it's quality because I haven't seen it in over a decade and I barely remember it... but people say it sucked.

Moldy Taxes posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Versus XIII was rebranded as XV.

It's happened before. IIRC, FFIX wasn't originally going to be FFIX, but a side game, but they rebranded it as IX later.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Enix almost didn't merge with Square over the Spirits Within. They were concerned about being with another company that had such a failure. I guess they reluctantly agreed to do it.

X-2 was designed as a quick project from the get-go. That's why it has so much from the first X.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's pretty common knowledge that the Spirits Within was basically Square's big disaster and was what forced them to merge with Enix. I've seen worse movies out there, but a movie with fully CG actors was an experiment that just didn't work - most audiences probably found it stepped into Uncanny Valley.

It was still better than Prometheus. :eng101:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah. Honestly Spirits Within isn't a terrible movie at all, it was just an exorbitantly expensive movie nobody in particular wanted. Final Fantasy fans couldn't get jazzed about it because it was mainly a sci-fi rather than fantasy film that had nothing to do with magic or crystals or any of the videogames. The general public (at least in the US) isn't into PG-13 and R-rated animation, and most critics and film buffs didn't rally to its defense because it wasn't a great movie either.

It's kind of a shame, to be honest; it's at least better than basically any other videogame movie Hollywood's ever poo poo out, and it at least shouldn't have caused as much harm to Square as it did.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah... Spirits Within wasn't great, but it wasn't that terrible, either. I would say it's one of the best video game movies out there... but can you honestly even call it a video game movie? It has nothing to do with the games at all, except for the title, it was made by the same company, and there's a minor character named Cid. And it's not even spelled right, in the movie, it's Dr. Sid. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was meant to be something else, but the slapped the Final Fantasy name on there for brand recognition.

The main selling points to the movie were its effects (that nobody really wanted), and a very thin connection to a video game franchise. Sometimes I wonder who the hell they were marketing that film to, because there just isn't an audience for it.

I honestly think it would be possible to make some Final Fantasy themed media work, but it just seems to be botched every single time they try. Considering there's been 14+ games with similar themes and elements, it can't possibly be that hard. Somebody would generally expect them to do something like FFIX that's basically all the generic FF elements like Chocobos, Airships, Moogles, the job classes etc. put into one show, but they just haven't really done that. If they can do a successful cartoon based on Pokemon for god knows how many years now, you'd think Final Fantasy wouldn't be so hard. Most of them follow a basic formula.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
My problem with Spirits was the uncanny valley it lived in. I also heard they spent like 1/4-1/3 of their budget on hair. The hair was cool, guys, but come on.

That loving Sned posted:

I know that song has been around for years, but putting it in the game is still acknowledging its existence. That article said that Square Enix is trying to let the game fade from public attention, but if they're including it in their latest game, that doesn't seem likely.
My understanding is that the track was/is popular in Japan, so they put it in the game. Nothing more complicated than that.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's kind of a shame, to be honest; it's at least better than basically any other videogame movie Hollywood's ever poo poo out, and it at least shouldn't have caused as much harm to Square as it did.

I think Mortal Kombat's more entertaining, at least. Whether it's better or not, iunno. It's kind of apples and oranges, they were trying to be two very different movies. Gammatron already covered why it bombed so hard.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Somebody would generally expect them to do something like FFIX that's basically all the generic FF elements like Chocobos, Airships, Moogles, the job classes etc. put into one show, but they just haven't really done that. If they can do a successful cartoon based on Pokemon for god knows how many years now, you'd think Final Fantasy wouldn't be so hard. Most of them follow a basic formula.

Don't forget Final Fantasy Unlimited :haw:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Don't forget Final Fantasy Unlimited

I didn't, I mentioned it a couple posts back. IIRC, that also failed horribly and got cancelled before it was even finished. A few years back I bought the first DVD of the show, but I never bothered buying any more, so I haven't seen anything beyond the first couple episodes.

However Unlimited did at least have some more connections to the games than Spirits Within did - it had Chocobos, summoned monsters, a moogle, Cid, and a phantom train. It's still kinda weird and out there, though.

I downloaded the soundtrack and I like that, though.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

I didn't, I mentioned it a couple posts back. IIRC, that also failed horribly and got cancelled before it was even finished. A few years back I bought the first DVD of the show, but I never bothered buying any more, so I haven't seen anything beyond the first couple episodes.

However Unlimited did at least have some more connections to the games than Spirits Within did - it had Chocobos, summoned monsters, a moogle, Cid, and a phantom train. It's still kinda weird and out there, though.

I downloaded the soundtrack and I like that, though.

Whoops, totally missed that part of your post. Sorry, man. Yeah, you really didn't miss a whole lot, FFU wasn't terribly good. The first half of the series was crazy formulaic and uninteresting and even though they were starting to pick up some steam in the second half, the damage'd already been done. I guess it's getting kind of cult popular again in Japan, though? At least it looks like a lot of supplemental stuff got published.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

This may be the wrong place to post this and I should probably post it in traditional games instead, but for years I've thought about trying to design a d20 equivalent to Final Fantasy. I know people have made FFRPGs before, but none of them really implement Final Fantasy's patented job system where you can switch jobs outside of battle to suit various needs.

I know, this is a bit of a crazy idea. The main problem I foresee is that instead of having a character sheet, you wind up with an entire character book because changing your job is practically like changing into a brand new character. It's a lot of stuff to keep track of - it's easy for a computer, but it might be tough for a person. So I think I would dumb down a lot of D&D's other needlessly complex mechanics and make the rest of the game simpler.

I was thinking of primarily basing the system off FF5, but sometimes I have second thoughts because FF5 is a game that is hilariously broken. Then again, it's fun because it's hilariously broken. It would probably be a wise idea to leave out the Freelancer and Mime jobs, though.

The big challenge is how to do job progression. I think there needs to be separate physical and job levels and not a system like XI and XIV where they are one and the same - because if you're level 20 in one job, then try to do a new one, you're back to level 1 and you'd suck. I'm a little torn on secondary abilities - subjobs are extremely limited and don't give you much room for customization, but FF5's system of letting you use level 8 black magic spells on any other job might be just a tad bit to lenient. What I need is a happy medium, there.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
As a tabletop and FF person, I think something like a 3E-based system (with dramatically redone spells to reflect FF spell types/spells/schools and better balance the game) where you have a "character level" cap based on the session or the group's progress but can change your class at any time between sessions or during downtime between anything (or any multi combination possible within the cap you have using your individual class levels) might work. So like Playername levels up to 8 as a Warrior, 2 as a Paladin, and 4 as a Monk. But the *total level cap* right now is 10. He could be an 8/2 Warrior Paladin, a 4/4/2 Warrior Paladin Monk, or something like that and freely switch how those levels are distributed between games. You'd have to do a lot of work on the guts of the system to make the balance and stuff work out, but it has potential, and the free willy-nilly multiclassing of 3E already sort of fits the job system concept.

I definitely have not done a notebook draft of something like this before with 8 base classes (Warrior, Monk, Thief, Engineer, Black/White/Red/Time Mages) and the PrC system for stuff like Paladin/Ninja/Summoner in an Ivalice type framework before. That'd be too massively nerdy to admit, even on Something Awful.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Pureauthor posted:

A public admission that they are such complete poo poo at making a game that they had to substitute a completely different game in place of the next of the series? I don't think that's a very good idea.

Or just that it turned out to be too different from XIII? :confused:

quote:

I definitely have not done a notebook draft of something like this before with 8 base classes (Warrior, Monk, Thief, Engineer, Black/White/Red/Time Mages) and the PrC system for stuff like Paladin/Ninja/Summoner in an Ivalice type framework before. That'd be too massively nerdy to admit, even on Something Awful.

I've never played one of those dice games but I've wondered it was possible to play any of the FF games on paper.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Or just that it turned out to be too different from XIII? :confused:

I've never played one of those dice games but I've wondered it was possible to play any of the FF games on paper.

There are numerous attempts at this available online such as Zodiac or the Returner Final Fantasy RPG. None of them are regarded as particularly good or balanced much like the individual classes themselves of Final Fantasy. There is no official SE RPG which is just as well because if FFXIV or FFXI is any indication the source book would be printed on salted razorblades.

You can definitely make simulcras of FF games if you really wanted to sit down and grind out the math or just using other systems you can tell their storie. A big issue will be that FF games, unlike table top, have a reliance on trash mobs, guided stories, and can rely on the poor player stuck as berserker not getting bored and wandering off 5 minutes into the session.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of FF stuff really doesn't translate well to tabletop gaming at all. Like, take the Speed stat, for example. In most FFs, characters with higher Speed get to take turns more frequently, which works fine when you have one player managing all 3/4 characters, but is patently awful when you've got each person playing a single character, because Oh hey! the guy who picked ninja now gets to play the game twice as often the guy who picked knight.

What's interesting is that FF1 is very already based on older versions of Dungeons and Dragons, and even in that game it shows how some D&D mechanics actually work better in single-player.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Barudak posted:

There are numerous attempts at this available online such as Zodiac or the Returner Final Fantasy RPG. None of them are regarded as particularly good or balanced much like the individual classes themselves of Final Fantasy. There is no official SE RPG which is just as well because if FFXIV or FFXI is any indication the source book would be printed on salted razorblades.

You can definitely make simulcras of FF games if you really wanted to sit down and grind out the math or just using other systems you can tell their storie. A big issue will be that FF games, unlike table top, have a reliance on trash mobs, guided stories, and can rely on the poor player stuck as berserker not getting bored and wandering off 5 minutes into the session.

I don't think it's so much the classes that were the problem, at least with the Returner FFRPG. The problem is that if you want to make a Final Fantasy tabletop game and you want it to be as slavishly close to the video games as possible, you've got to use videogame mechanics. Like, as Prufrock says, Speed giving you extra turns. Picked a slow character? Too bad! Or say, having six out of seven levels or more be dead levels where you add skill points, roll HP, and are done. I've got a laundry-list of problems with the Returner game and I probably would with the Zodiac system if I felt like reading it, but they all stem from the fact that the thing's depending on using mechanics that work perfectly well automated but suck in a tabletop setting.

Honestly Gammatron, you're probably better off taking an existing game and reflavoring it to have Final Fantasy fluff.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Fungah! posted:

I don't think it's so much the classes that were the problem, at least with the Returner FFRPG. The problem is that if you want to make a Final Fantasy tabletop game and you want it to be as slavishly close to the video games as possible, you've got to use videogame mechanics. Like, as Prufrock says, Speed giving you extra turns. Picked a slow character? Too bad! Or say, having six out of seven levels or more be dead levels where you add skill points, roll HP, and are done. I've got a laundry-list of problems with the Returner game and I probably would with the Zodiac system if I felt like reading it, but they all stem from the fact that the thing's depending on using mechanics that work perfectly well automated but suck in a tabletop setting.

Honestly Gammatron, you're probably better off taking an existing game and reflavoring it to have Final Fantasy fluff.

Yeah, I would basically take 3.5 mechanics and dumb them down. I would likely base the stats of FFXI, which are STR, VIT, DEX, MND, INT and CHA, which are more or less identical to the D&D ability scores except for Constitution is now called Vitality and Wisdom is called Mind. A character's "speed" would only effect their initiative.

However there would definitely be a Haste spell that lets you have multiple turns. Just like in the classics, you may want to have a friend get a couple levels in Time Mage so you can cheese bosses. I might make a Hermes' Sandals relic just for completion's sake, but it would probably be a bad idea to actually give any of the players a pair of them as that's how you ruin friendships.

I looked at the Returners game and I honestly hate how his classes are done, so I would probably do something that's basically 3.5's rules, but with new classes and spell lists that are more in line with FF 1/3/5/11.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

So, I'm a couple years late on this, but I finally played Final Fantasy 13. 50 hours later, I kind of want to say something about it.

First off, I liked it. It took about 20 hours before I really started feeling that way, but whatever. Secondly, the final boss is kind of stupidly easy. Third, the pacing was just kind of all over the place. And I always thought people were joking about the hallway simulator, but wow.

They also spent a lot of time on character development, but seemed to forget about anyone who wasn't a main character. I honestly thought Rosch died before he randomly showed up again.

I think the Eidolan parade would have been a good way to start the game. It was a better introduction to the whole Pulse/Cocoon L'cie/Fal'cie stuff than anything going on in the actual intro. Like just replace the Fireworks Festival with the Eidonlan parade.

Sazh is cool, favorite part of the whole game. I could probably write more, but these were the things that sort of stood out to me while I was playing.

And my last thought, why did we bust up a Grand Prix?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pasteurized Milk posted:

And my last thought, why did we bust up a Grand Prix?

Because it looked cool. And because the FMV's were made long before the actual story was written. It is also why one of the characters is killed off, then brought back in an FMV shortly after, as you mentioned.

There are some really good ideas in that game, both in terms of the gameplay and the story, which are just buried beneath all the terrible ones. I like not having to spend a minute after each fight burning through health potions to get everyone back to full health, and having the option to retry a fight allows them to be much more difficult, without being totally unfair.

Like you said, it could have been better if it was restructured. I would have preferred to have had Gran Pulse available much earlier in the game, with the linear corridors branching from it.

I'm not sure if you will feel the same way, but I liked this game much more than XIII-2, which removed most of the difficulty, had a much weaker narrative and characters, very little guidance and very few unique locations. Basically, XIII trimmed out all the JRPG fluff, while XIII-2 stuffs it all back in again.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Or if you want the in-story reason, it's because Barty wanted to set off the whole powderkeg of a population raised to be terrified of all things Pulse, so he gave the party a ship that was programmed to warp in right in the middle of a major televised sporting event. Combine that with all the monsters being warped in from the ark, and a large number of people believe they are witnessing a Pulse invasion. Panic, hysteria, rioting in the streets etc

Basically after Ragnarok failed to kill enough people the first time, Barty's taking no chances. He has Fang and Vanille prepared to become Ragnarok again, the Cavalry gunning for Orphan themselves after being "betrayed" by Cid, and if those don't do the job then the population of Cocoon might just kill each other in their hysteria.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I finally dug up my old PSX copy of FFVI and tried it on the PS3 to see if the loading times were as terrible as I keep hearing. I didn't remember them being too bad in my PAL copy but sure enough, there's a few seconds of loading before and after every battle and every time you enter and exit the menu, and I can't play this at all after getting used to the Virtual Console SNES version and the GBA port. What the gently caress, how did I never notice this poo poo when I was playing this thing on my PS2? :wtc:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

That loving Sned posted:

Because it looked cool. And because the FMV's were made long before the actual story was written. It is also why one of the characters is killed off, then brought back in an FMV shortly after, as you mentioned.

There are some really good ideas in that game, both in terms of the gameplay and the story, which are just buried beneath all the terrible ones. I like not having to spend a minute after each fight burning through health potions to get everyone back to full health, and having the option to retry a fight allows them to be much more difficult, without being totally unfair.

Like you said, it could have been better if it was restructured. I would have preferred to have had Gran Pulse available much earlier in the game, with the linear corridors branching from it.

I'm not sure if you will feel the same way, but I liked this game much more than XIII-2, which removed most of the difficulty, had a much weaker narrative and characters, very little guidance and very few unique locations. Basically, XIII trimmed out all the JRPG fluff, while XIII-2 stuffs it all back in again.

Most people complained that XIII didn't have enough jRPG fluff, so I don't know where the middle ground is.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yay, I got FFXII International working on my PC! What jobs would you guys recommend I pick? Say, if Balthier picks BLM, can he still use guns?

How about:
Vaan - Monk
Penelo - White Mage
Ashe - Red Mage
Basch - Knight
Balthier - Time Mage
Fran - Black Mage

Only problem is shadows will glitch out during cutscenes in PCSX2, any way I can fix this?

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 22, 2012

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yay, I got FFXII International working on my PC! What jobs would you guys recommend I pick? Say, if Balthier picks BLM, can he still use guns?

How about :
Vaan - Monk
Penelo - White Mage
Ashe - Red Mage
Basch - Knight
Balthier - Time Mage
Fran - Black Mage

Only problem is shadows will glitch out during cutscenes in PCSX2, any way I can fix this?

I only play on a soft-modded PS2, so I don't know about PCSX2 settings.

Each class has a set selection of equipment licenses. Each character has a few licenses they always start with, regardless of what job you put them in (Vaan, Balthier, and Fran can Steal. Fran, Ashe, and Penelo can cast Cure. Etc). So Balthier can always use the first gun he starts with, but he won't be able to use later guns unless you give him a job that can use guns.

Are you just looking for a good selection of jobs, or are you looking to min-max what characters should go to each job? Your overall job selection is pretty good for mixing magic and physical damage. It's a bit light on good item users, and doesn't have anyone with all 3 Remedy lores. But you've got Esuna on at least two characters, with a decent amount of white magic for healing, so you should probably be OK.

If you want to tweak character jobs a bit for min-maxing, Penelo is probably a good choice for Red Mage- they use maces which only use your magick stat for damage, so Red Mages really don't need strength. Since Ashe has decent strength, she might be better as a White Mage for hitting things when she's not healing. You might even want to make Ashe your Black Mage for her higher magick stat for better killing, while making Fran the White Mage where a super-high magic stat isn't as important. Also, that way Fran will provide a second character that can use Fire/Thunder early on.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gammatron 64 posted:

Some characters start with licences by default. (For example, Vaan knows Steal no matter what). So while, Balthier will always be able to use his basic gun, he won't be able to learn how to use anymore if you don't pick a Job that uses guns (So Machinist and Shikari) .

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Anyone playing FFV/VI on iOS? Wondering if GBA or SNES is best.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cyberbob posted:

V and VI aren't on iOS. For V, GBA is unarguably superior. For VI, the GBA version has fewer bugs but the SNES version has superior visuals and audio; there's not much difference.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Cyberbob posted:

Only FF, II and III are on iOS. It's Japanese III, not VI that was called III.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Cyberbob posted:

I assume you're playing emulated on a jailbroken iPhone/iPad? Both emulators run very well, at least on my iPhone 4. Most people say FFV is the best on GBA, but FFVI is better on SNES due to unnecessary changes or limitations because of the arguably worse hardware of a GBA.

Edit: I apologize for lovely grammar!

LoudLoudNoise fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 22, 2012

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
I've heard most people say say FFV is the best on GBA, but FFVI is better on SNES due to unnecessary changes, so thanks.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 23, 2012

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Can I ask at what point it became acceptable to talk about pirated games in here?

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Kewpuh posted:

Can I ask at what point it became acceptable to talk about pirated games in here?

SNES roms? AFAIK since we've had rules about piracy.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Kewpuh posted:

What pirated games talk?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Beat Final Fantasy IV yesterday. Really liked it, everything pretty much holds up except for the prevalence of random encounters and ambushes/back attacks. That stuff got annoying. It was pretty easy to, even for a FF game. But I hear that I got that "easy" version, and the DS game is the real challenge.

I'm interesting in trying The After Years, but I also see there's this Interlude thing too. I don't think I have ever heard anyone talk about it before, what is it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Beat Final Fantasy IV yesterday. Really liked it, everything pretty much holds up except for the prevalence of random encounters and ambushes/back attacks. That stuff got annoying. It was pretty easy to, even for a FF game. But I hear that I got that "easy" version, and the DS game is the real challenge.

I'm interesting in trying The After Years, but I also see there's this Interlude thing too. I don't think I have ever heard anyone talk about it before, what is it?

Interlude is an additional even more worthless playable section that links FFIV and After Years more tightly together. If you know anything about After Years you know this is a tremendously bad idea even outside of how poo poo the whole thing is to play through.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Interlude is also pretty drat short (it's what, two or three hours?) and overall pretty meaningless. It's just a short segue between FF4 and TAY. Can't really hurt to play it because it's short, but it doesn't really add anything important besides a couple very minor details about TAY.

As for TAY, I'd only recommend it if you love FF4's gameplay. The story is pretty bad, and the game itself is 80% recycled content from FF4. That said, it does expand a lot on the original's gameplay, with a couple of mediocre new mechanics, a bunch of new characters, and an end game that lets you choose a party from as many as 22 characters. The end game is probably the most fun part of the game, as the dungeon is huge and there are a loving ton of bosses, yet there's tons of opportunities to heal up, restock items, and change your party. Which is kinda funny because the end game is also where the game's story really starts to go downhill.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Himuro posted:

What pirated games talk?

If cyberbob is planning to download (a version of) a game that he has to ask about, then he obviously doesn't own it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

AngryCaterpillar posted:

If cyberbob is planning to download (a version of) a game that he has to ask about, then he obviously doesn't own it.

Who gives a poo poo? He was just asking what version of the game to play, in so many words. Are we really going to start an emulation witch hunt over 16 year old games?