Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Elysiume posted:

Safeties off would be so insanely overpowered it's not even funny. Also, it's way more niche than a perk should be. Yes, I'll fight about it. :colbert:

Overpowered is a pretty strong word considering how underpowered mortars currently are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm not really sure how it would work with the MIRV, but 1300 or 1400 damage that detonates on impact with the monster AoEs of the mortars would be obscene indoors.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Elysiume posted:

I'm not really sure how it would work with the MIRV, but 1300 or 1400 damage that detonates on impact with the monster AoEs of the mortars would be obscene indoors.

Right now indoors fighting is basically just brutes throwing grenades at each other, with the occasional Thumper tech getting thrown into the mix, so that sounds like a huge improvement.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
if you think instant detonation mortars are a good idea you're basically a crazy person

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Lets just make mortars have a shorter arming time, long enough to not be overpowered indoors, but short enough so you don't see mortars bouncing off turrets.
Or just make mortars always detonate when they hit a base structure, like it should have been made since the start.

Edit: Tribal Warrior IV achieved.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Kaal posted:

Right now indoors fighting is basically just brutes throwing grenades at each other, with the occasional Thumper tech getting thrown into the mix, so that sounds like a huge improvement.
Medium and lower class armors would be basically unplayable indoors.

For reference a heavy spinfusor is dealing around 400-500 damage at that distance.

edit: I have no idea why the far right side is on the left, whatever.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 22, 2012

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Elysiume posted:

Medium and lower class armors would be basically unplayable indoors.

For reference a heavy spinfusor is dealing around 400-500 damage at that distance.

Maybe you haven't joined the disco party lately, but Medium and Light class armors are already unplayable indoors. Perhaps there's a better way of improving the mortar weapons, but the ship has already sailed for the sanctity of indoor combat. I'd much rather see mortar weapons dominant for a patch or two than the unrelenting barrage of bullet weapons.

qnqnx posted:

Lets just make mortars have a shorter arming time, long enough to not be overpowered indoors, but short enough so you don't see mortars bouncing off turrets.
Or just make mortars always detonate when they hit a base structure, like it should have been made since the start.

Or give turrets generator-powered shields and larger projectiles like people have been asking for since the beginning of beta.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 22, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I know that the Hi-Rez approach to balance is (was? I guess they could have changed) a series of increasingly fragile bandaid fixes but that doesn't make it an acceptable balance system. However, bullet weapons are probably 90% of why I quit, so I'm not going to complain about anything being dominant over bullet weapons.

edit: If anyone was curious the other 10% is feeling pressured to play using new weapons to level them up. I want to have 100%, but I don't want to play certain weapons on a certain class.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 22, 2012

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Discos gettin' nerfed next week.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Ok yeah the equipment menu is really obnoxious and if you're like me you spend shitloads of time there making neat guns and looking at numbers so I concede my point.
It can't possibly be worse than the 50 clicks I have make in TA just to change a weapon.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I'll believe it when I see it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wadjamaloo posted:

It can't possibly be worse than the 50 clicks I have make in TA just to change a weapon.

It's not.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Wadjamaloo posted:

And having to press ESC multiple times to get out the loadout menus. All in slow motion because of the menu animations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

And the fact that I can't exit the game from a match without using console.
Seriously why did they remove the quit game option?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Wadjamaloo posted:

"Bleh, I think this loadout actually works better with the bolt launcher and LAR." m, click, click, click, click, click, esc, click, click, m, m.

Kaal posted:

I'll believe it when I see it.
Just hearken back to the halcyon days when fractals actually hit the generator and remember it can always be worse. Especially with Hi-Rez.

Wadjamaloo posted:

And the fact that I can't exit the game from a match without using console.
Seriously why did they remove the quit game option?
Alt-tab, right click, close window.

If anyone didn't know, you can double-tap 'M' to quickly exit a menu. The first tap will open the main menu (even if you're in a menu already) and the second one will close it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Elysiume posted:

Just hearken back to the halcyon days when fractals actually hit the generator and remember it can always be worse. Especially with Hi-Rez.

Hah, true story. Maybe there's just something inherently unbalancing about a belt full of fire-and-forget area-denial grenades that can kill a room full of defenders in seconds?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Elysiume posted:

"Bleh, I think this loadout actually works better with the bolt launcher and LAR." m, click, click, click, click, click, esc, click, click, m, m.
I'm pretty sure now that they're keeping menus that way just to sell more loadout slots. Someone, somewhere, has bought them with gold.

Elysiume posted:

If anyone didn't know, you can double-tap 'M' to quickly exit a menu. The first tap will open the main menu (even if you're in a menu already) and the second one will close it.
This is going to be really handy, thanks.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Rynex posted:

the "Animal People" are coming to my workplace today.

I really want to know what this means.

Also, at least I don't feel as bad for being stuck at work during the workshop thing knowing it was canceled.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Fractals will still have knockback and therefore gthsegykusdzlf :argh:

If fractals did double damage but had no knockback/down/up/allaround, I'd probably be happy.

Being killed because someone threw a Fractal into an enclosed area I'm in, people die when rooms explode so yeah. If it was a Heavy AP grenade or a Sticky I would just have died faster.

Being killed because you are unable walk through, away from, or fly upwards, even loving OUTDOORS because it can be harder to pass through the beams than walking through a Super Heavy Doombringer, mother fuckers.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I also hate that they renamed the "modify classes" button to just "classes". Back when the class switch keys were bugged if you rebound them, I would always end up clicking on the modify classes button when trying to change my class.

Twenty Four posted:

Also, at least I don't feel as bad for being stuck at work during the workshop thing knowing it was canceled.
Rynex works at a bowling alley that is frequented by people who like to dress up in animal costumes.

I work at a retail store where 2 guys wearing T-Shirts from a children's TV show about ponies walked in and said "Steed you later, have a great neigh".

Who wins?
We are both losers

eSporks fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 22, 2012

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
some gold player piggybacked off his buddies into one of the newbie games I was in, on temple ruins he would fly onto the top of the rock bridge with our flag and no-one could get to him while he spammed chat :effort:

whiteshark12 fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 22, 2012

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
The rock bridge isn't hard to get onto (even as a Tech) it's just hard to keep a capper on it from running away and getting a ton of speed from the fall.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I'm finding my niche to be the Doombringer sitting on a flag with two shields up killing anything that comes near. By dedicating myseklf to doing this I managed to get a 10 win streak which only ended when the server wised up and started having 4-5 people dedicated to just killing me. :smug:

70% off on the Sparrow, worth it to be used as a hitscan finisher?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Deal of the Day: Phase Rifle. But it's only 25% off.
:negative:

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Xerxes17 posted:

Definitely not worth it, the sawed-off shotgun has only slightly worse effective range and is an extremely good weapon unlike the sparrow.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Xerxes17 posted:

I'm finding my niche to be the Doombringer sitting on a flag with two shields up killing anything that comes near. By dedicating myseklf to doing this I managed to get a 10 win streak which only ended when the server wised up and started having 4-5 people dedicated to just killing me. :smug:

Sparrow is pretty bad. It has lower damage per shot than the Eagle and fires more slowly, although it does have a higher clip size. If I'm not taking a repair tool, I will always take the sawed-off over the Sparrow. The sawed-off has very solid damage, and puts out serious hurt. If I'm going combat tech (usually for CAH) I'll take the Thumper and sawed-off with quick draw.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FrickenMoron posted:

Deal of the Day: Phase Rifle. But it's only 25% off.
:negative:

I play Sentinel a lot and have a good kill ratio while on defense and I have absolutely no intention of unlocking the Phase Rifle after trying it in target practice mode. It doesn't need to charge but it doesn't do much more damage and you can't do silly jump sniping tricks with it. I mean I'm only rank 18 so it's not like I'm against pros but I still manage to use the default rifle as a duelling weapon thanks to playing Quake 3 so much.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

I play Sentinel a lot and have a good kill ratio while on defense and I have absolutely no intention of unlocking the Phase Rifle after trying it in target practice mode. It doesn't need to charge but it doesn't do much more damage and you can't do silly jump sniping tricks with it. I mean I'm only rank 18 so it's not like I'm against pros but I still manage to use the default rifle as a duelling weapon thanks to playing Quake 3 so much.
Whenever I'm pretending that I'd actually some day be a Good Sniper (HAH!), I'd want to get the Phase rifle (on a good sale). Because freaking laser guns! Plus dealing 120-130 minimum damage when wildly spamming shots like a desperate nut can be fun. Plus the ability to legit 360 noscope rifle kill someone with it.

I could see why anybody who was actually GOOD at sniping would prefer the faster charge rate per shot of the BTX, as they nail headshot after headshot without even trying, compared to "Ugh now I have to wait for my energy charge up. God"

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I really hate tactical/orbital strikes, and I hate how the longer a match goes, the more a match devolves into "spam strikes on the flag stand and make the doombringers cry tears of blood and frustration".

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Section Z posted:

Whenever I'm pretending that I'd actually some day be a Good Sniper (HAH!), I'd want to get the Phase rifle (on a good sale). Because freaking laser guns! Plus dealing 120-130 minimum damage when wildly spamming shots like a desperate nut can be fun. Plus the ability to legit 360 noscope rifle kill someone with it.

I could see why anybody who was actually GOOD at sniping would prefer the faster charge rate per shot of the BTX, as they nail headshot after headshot without even trying, compared to "Ugh now I have to wait for my energy charge up. God"
I want my damage to be dependent on my aim, not my energy pool. Phase Rifle is terrible.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Oh god I've now graduated from the kiddie pool. First match as a rank 8 I though I was doing well. Bottom of my team :negative: Quite a change from stomping the newbies before.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Well, the new matchmaking has made this game hard as hell for me. I feel like I'm 9 and playing Tribes 1 again. I didn't even notice it when I left the kiddie pool, but welp. Welp.

On the other hand every game of CTF I've played so far has owned.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Twenty Four posted:

Furries. Yes, I did end up going and taking a look. It was weird.

We can see about doing the workshop maybe next week, but I will really need to get hold of a private server first. Might speak to egocentric about helping out there. I'm hoping we could also get a 7v7 going, since that is where you'll learn most about the game. If we get more than 7v7, we'll switch people out.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Wadjamaloo posted:

Rynex works at a bowling alley that is frequented by people who like to dress up in animal costumes.

I work at a retail store where 2 guys wearing T-Shirts from a children's TV show about ponies walked in and said "Steed you later, have a great neigh".

Who wins?
We are both losers

The pony guys is strange but something I could totally see happening as a "this happened once" sort of thing and just shrug it off. Having some furries show up at a bowling alley regularly in costume is not a thing I can understand as being part of a typical day at work. My job also sucks, and I have some stories, but I'm not sure if that is hilarious, uncomfortable, or both if I am getting this right.

Anyhow, Tribes-wise, I'm still pretty unhappy with how the new matchmaking has killed server population for high ranks. I know I play late night/early morning so I am an off peak player, but after trying both US West and East and just sitting in an empty server for a while on both, I had to get a low level friend of mine to come play so I could join their game just to play a bit. :(

Edit ^^^ When I first read your post, I thought "hey, maybe you work in broadcasting or something and the humane society is comming over to help get some pets adopted". Those could be "animal people". Then I thought some more, heard the story, and welp, these are the times we live in.

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 22, 2012

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Oh boy! 70% off of Wheel Deal! I trust it's every bit as poo poo as one might imagine?

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I really hate tactical/orbital strikes, and I hate how the longer a match goes, the more a match devolves into "spam strikes on the flag stand and make the doombringers cry tears of blood and frustration".

Oh good, it's not just me then. The late-game strike spam annoys the poo poo out of me. At least when brutes make laser disco suicide runs on the flag stand they have to put SOME effort into it, as opposed to assholes spamming tactical strike from the other side of the map.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Meldonox posted:

Oh boy! 70% off of Wheel Deal! I trust it's every bit as poo poo as one might imagine?

Depends on how often you like to play Tank Commando or run people over with Shrikes. Fully upgraded it cuts the prices for those vehicles by 30%.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Meldonox posted:

Wheel Deal every day in combination with Pilot. Let's you get in a Shrike for 2800 credits so you can enjoy the cries and tears of everyone trying to attack your base.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
And your own tears as a light clearly get hit and get bumped out of the way to pass over your wings in one piece instead of in small giblets.

But scratch the armour of a guy as you turn your tank and *splat*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

There, I feel better now. I loaded up the heavy bolt launcher and titan launcher on my Doombringer and played some Capture and Hold. ALL THE NODES ARE MINE. :black101: And it doesn't come with the feeling of being a dirty whore like when you play a Brute!

• Locked thread