Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

CountFosco posted:

Pack 1 pick 2: windswept heath.

I think I hate you, but congratulations on sitting to the left of probably literally the only person on MODO who is actually more concerned with making the right pick than drafting for value in this format! You should do some current set drafts and see if your 'get passed the most expensive card in the entire block' luck is still there. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Maybe I was too harsh on OLS last time. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Edit: it was more fun than last time, but still not all that fun. :(

rinski fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 21, 2012

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Jeez, I just had Zero fun in this OLS format due to someone wellwishing their way to a million life. Seriously, I could beat their Akroma and Cat Giant Legend and Elf Mutants but no, this little common elf was just unbeatable. Ugh.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

2-1 in M13 last night.

Not liking the set. The wins feel boring and automatic and the losses feel ridiculous. (Guy cracks the rare land-fetcher to hit 14, fireballs the next turn for 12 while sitting dead on board with 1 life).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

(Guy cracks the rare land-fetcher to hit 14, fireballs the next turn for 12 while sitting dead on board with 1 life).

I feel bad for your(?) loss but this is hilarious.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

2-1 in M13 last night.

Not liking the set. The wins feel boring and automatic and the losses feel ridiculous. (Guy cracks the rare land-fetcher to hit 14, fireballs the next turn for 12 while sitting dead on board with 1 life).

yeah this owns, actually.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Friends M11 bad beat story still takes the cake for me: his pretty unlucky MTGO night when that set was live was crowned by losing a match to Pyretic Ritual - Pyretic Ritual - Fireball for exact.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

My last two drafts have been a blast, drafting a weird B/R deck every time loaded with removal, burn, and bloodhunter bats.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Snacksmaniac posted:

My last two drafts have been a blast, drafting a weird B/R deck every time loaded with removal, burn, and bloodhunter bats.
I love this deck, it's the only thing I've drafted so far and have gone 3-0 both times. Set is fun!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Best limited beats story happened in M12. I'm having the worst draft I'd ever had at that point and losing to a kid playing mono-red. But I've got a few outs and think I might get there since he's doing weird durdle crap.

Wall of Torches lands. Whatever, no big deal.

He puts Firebreathing on it. I'm not saying anything but this seems really really dumb. I'm still just gonna crash weenies through until you have to block.

His next turn, he dumps all his mana but two into the wall making it like 16/1 or something, and flings it. He MacGuvyered together a three-for-one fireball out of spit and duct tape and beat me with it.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I think M13 seems pretty great. Plenty of room for control and aggressive strategies, my main complaint would be inclusion of cards like Battle of Wits. Apparently I am just not as thrilled about that card as other people.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

an skeleton posted:

I think M13 seems pretty great. Plenty of room for control and aggressive strategies, my main complaint would be inclusion of cards like Battle of Wits. Apparently I am just not as thrilled about that card as other people.

This is you admitting you are a terrible human being.

Who the gently caress doesn't like the best card ever printed forever?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

an skeleton posted:

Yeah, Battle of Wits owns, and every single Magic set has rares that are just straight-up blanks in Limited, so I dunno why you're picking on Battle of Wits specifically. Were you really that much happier about opening Arcane Melee in Avacyn Restored, or Stony Silence in Innistrad?

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...
I have opened two battle of wits in m13, one in sealed and one on an eleven man draft pod. I got it on the wheel.

Also, 11 man pods suck.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

taladel posted:

I have opened two battle of wits in m13, one in sealed and one on an eleven man draft pod. I got it on the wheel.

Also, 11 man pods suck.

THEY'RE THE loving WORST and last night at FNM my store arranged our 35 person turnout into 11/12/12.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
So far in all 3 M13 drafts I've done, we've had Battle of Wits and Door to Nothingness just circling around the table forever. Nothing like a couple of stone blank rares every draft.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

A person in our draft last night won a game with Door, but it was definitely the exception. Most of the time it contributed to the plain old clockwork "drop some dudes, swing with dudes, trick/bounce/remove dudes to advance the race, win."

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Friend of mine won 2 games with door this past Friday. He had 2x doors, 2x gem of becoming, and a boundless realms, also 2x sands of delirium as an alt win condition. He basically just rare drafted a bunch of crap rares and actually managed to win a couple of games with it.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Yeah sorry, I just hate to listen to people sperg out over a dead card every time it starts circling the table. Arcane Melee can theoretically fit into a (normal) deck, if someone makes Battle of Wits that means a very annoying first round for someone.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Drafting some OLS, because I just can't get rid of these stupid packs. Let's try to have a very fun time.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

At an AVR draft earlier this summer, a guy opened a Descent Into Madness in his first pack. It kept going around the table until the second-to-last guy had a choice of it or some crappy common. He took the common :laugh:

I just keep in mind that some cards are only decent in constructed, some cards are only decent for limited, some are ok for both, and that freaking over a rare in a single draft isn't terribly worthwhile.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Pyrolocutus posted:

At an AVR draft earlier this summer, a guy opened a Descent Into Madness in his first pack. It kept going around the table until the second-to-last guy had a choice of it or some crappy common. He took the common :laugh:

I just keep in mind that some cards are only decent in constructed, some cards are only decent for limited, some are ok for both, and that freaking over a rare in a single draft isn't terribly worthwhile.

in my last-ever AVR draft on mtgo (I hope!!!) I snapped off a descent into madness p3p1, and wasn't even in black. it was foil and worth like 10tix apparently, lmao.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

scribe jones posted:

it was foil and worth like 10tix apparently, lmao.

Set redemption keeps mythics and foil mythics high, I'm told.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Snacksmaniac posted:

Set redemption keeps mythics and foil mythics high, I'm told.

Yeah, basically any foil Mythic is going to score you a few tickets at the very least.

I'm actually really enjoying M13 in draft. Friday night I drafted what I thought was a pretty nuts BW Exalted deck, had I think 13 exalted dudes. What this deck taught me was that vomiting exalted dudes on to the table isn't really enough of a gameplan. I didn't have enough enablers in the form of evasive dudes or Tormented Souls so I just had a big dumb guy on the ground that could get chumped for a few turns. Then they could crack back at my team since exalted guys are not great on defense. I passed a couple Tormented Souls and over good evasive guys like Bloodhunter Bats or I guess War Falcon. Aven Squire seems like a super high pick for this deck, I think I grabbed the only one I saw, though.

Saturday night I went 2-1 in both drafts with a weird controlly GU deck in the first set and then a solid mid-rangey RG deck for the second deck. I had Krenko in the second draft and he is absolutely a bomb if unanswered. Doubling is crazy and saying "End of turn krenko for... 8 more goblins?" was super awesome and I loved it. The uncommon creature cycle continues to impress with the Fire Pig being just a loving beating. Turn 2 Timberpack Wolf in to turn 3 hasty pig hit you for 5 is loving brutal.

For my first deck, though, I have a question: How do you go about building a ramp deck in limited? I got Stormtide Leviathan P1P4 which I scooped up on the assumption that blue would be open and I wanted to see if I could get it to work. After that I was picking up Kraken Hatchlings and Fog Banks and as many Arbor Elfs and Far Seeks as I could. The green fatties were easy to pick up late, seems like if you want a Duskdale Wurm you can probably get one no problem. Anyway, when it came to deckbuilding I felt like I had all the right pieces but didn't know what the hell to do with it. I had some Elves, some Farseeks and some Ranger's Path but had really no idea how much ramp compared to how many fatties I should include. I'm pretty sure I did it wrong because it never really worked out and I felt like I was still just Wind Draking them or stealing games with a Primal Huntbeast suited up with Tricks of the Trade.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ive gotta say, Im a HUGE fan of trampling and Exalted mix together in draft. It's absolutely gross. I played a Bg draft deck with a trampler and some exalted and boy was it good.

Honestly if Im playing a dedicated BW exalted deck I would probably play the trample ring, even if I had with no green creatures.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any idea when Cube will be back on MTGO?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Ive gotta say, Im a HUGE fan of trampling and Exalted mix together in draft. It's absolutely gross. I played a Bg draft deck with a trampler and some exalted and boy was it good.

Honestly if Im playing a dedicated BW exalted deck I would probably play the trample ring, even if I had with no green creatures.
I got rolled by that in the first M13 tournament I played in. I couldn't do poo poo against it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gyshall posted:

Any idea when Cube will be back on MTGO?
Yes. It's on a set schedule, supposedly. It runs during the weeks following the real life prerelease before the mtgo prerelease of the same set.

And maybe some other times, I bet it'll show up during the holidays etc.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jet Set Jettison posted:

One of the designers actually said that they put in cards like Spiked Baloth at common specifically as enablers for G/W // G/B exalted decks in limited.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Puzzle time!

AVR Sealed. Pretty tense racing situation, and my opponent appears to have dealt me the final blow with this play. With no cards in hand, I saw the writing on the wall and F6-ed. And sure enough, Banners Raised resolved, his Dragon became a 6/5, took me to 1, and the Goldnight Commander pinged me for my last point of life.

...and then, about 30 seconds later, I was very angry with myself. 5 tix to the first person who can tell me exactly why.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sac the ghoul and connoisseur, soulbound the ghoul off the undying trigger to block the dragon?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Wow, that was fast. Collect your tix at your convenience :toot:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's all good, I bet I would've done the exact same thing and then hit myself after the fact.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Give me about an hour and a half and I can take those tickets instead :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Decided to get in another OLS draft before it goes away, naturally so far I've opened a foil Polluted Delta and a foil Stifle :getin:

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

JerryLee posted:

Decided to get in another OLS draft before it goes away, naturally so far I've opened a foil Polluted Delta and a foil Stifle :getin:

You lucky jerk! I've done 7 or 8 and have opened nothing of any value. On the upside I have 3-0'd or 2-1'd every single in which I have forced bird soldiers. U/W bird soldiers is the tits.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

LeafHouse posted:

You lucky jerk! I've done 7 or 8 and have opened nothing of any value. On the upside I have 3-0'd or 2-1'd every single in which I have forced bird soldiers. U/W bird soldiers is the tits.

I tried bird soldiers in the next draft with my last onslaught pack (did not make the finals of the one where I opened all the money) and despite what I thought was an okay deck, lost in the first round to R/G beasts... which has ended up being a trap for me whenever I've tried it.

Oh well, not complaining.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

JerryLee posted:

I tried bird soldiers in the next draft with my last onslaught pack (did not make the finals of the one where I opened all the money) and despite what I thought was an okay deck, lost in the first round to R/G beasts... which has ended up being a trap for me whenever I've tried it.

Oh well, not complaining.

Yeah I tried RG beasts and got crushed by bird soldiers. I didn't make that mistake again!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've tried drafting a ton of different strategies in Onslaught (well, the ones that seemed viable) and I always scrub out in the first round against some nuts mono black deck :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Anyone get anything good in their prerelease pools? I got a talrand!...and 2 duals :(