Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

RaspberryCommie posted:

Just push it over

Doesn't work. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

AntiPseudonym posted:

Doesn't work. :(

Jump up and push the top. Even if you think it doesn't work, keep doing it.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Control Volume posted:

Jump up and push the top. Even if you think it doesn't work, keep doing it.

THANK YOU. Oh god gently caress this game, I did that like about 5 times. :(

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Shlapintogan posted:

Okay, testing the loops for the Arranged soundtrack one last time before I distribute. Hell Temple is as difficult to loop as it is to beat.

e: And done! Here is the Arranged Soundtrack pack for use in 32-bit La Mulana.

If this is the only custom soundtrack you're using, rename this folder to 01 and edit pack.dat accordingly.

This is cool, but uh... how do I install it? Just replace all my music files?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

If you don't have any other music packs, put it in the music folder wherever you installed La Mulana, rename the folder "01", then open the pack.dat file inside, and change this line:

code:
data/music/02/
to read data/music/01/

Then go to your sound settings when you start the game and change the sound from Original to MP3 Arranged.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
This is a silly question but I don't want to risk too many spoilers by looking at a walkthrough: should I try to fight the Gates of Guidance "boss" (ankh guy) before I've solved every last puzzle there? There is still a box in the room where the tablet says something along the lines of: Raise 3 lights to the heavens

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

You're good to go. There are some puzzles that are not meant to be solved right away, so don't worry if you miss a puzzle or two, you can always come back later.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Shlapintogan posted:

You're good to go. There are some puzzles that are not meant to be solved right away, so don't worry if you miss a puzzle or two, you can always come back later.

But is it even possible? His hitbox requires me to jump into him and there's not enough shurikens apparently.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

It is. Try looking around in other areas first, you might find something else you can use against him. You can also carry a metric assload of shurikens, so if all else fails, just stock up on those.

One of La Mulana's primary influences is Metroid/modern-era Castlevania, so go explore around and upgrade yourself if an obstacle comes around that you can't tackle right away.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Shlapintogan posted:

It is. Try looking around in other areas first, you might find something else you can use against him. You can also carry a metric assload of shurikens, so if all else fails, just stock up on those.

One of La Mulana's primary influences is Metroid/modern-era Castlevania, so go explore around and upgrade yourself if an obstacle comes around that you can't tackle right away.

That's what I figured, I was just trying to see if I'm hitting my head against a wall unnecessarily.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

EightBit posted:

That's what I figured, I was just trying to see if I'm hitting my head against a wall unnecessarily.

Don't worry about it. Every item in the game, you can always come back later to get, unless you need it to go on. (Although there are two items that are permanently missable, the box you're talking about is not one of them (And even then, once you've beaten a late game boss, you get a chance to get those missable items again anyway))

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Do I ever get an item that trivializes the left side twin labyrinths miniboss?

His time stop kills me completely. Despite having a ton of health, the axe, gauntlet, shield, piles of items, I can't seem to kill him before he freezes me to death

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Is there a decent place to farm money? I just bought Move.exe and torude.exe and now I can't afford a key item.

Sumdian
Feb 13, 2010

Potential for Anything

victrix posted:

His time stop kills me completely. Despite having a ton of health, the axe, gauntlet, shield, piles of items, I can't seem to kill him before he freezes me to death

Grab a healing fairy from two screens below. The Fairy Armor helped me a lot too.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sumdian posted:

Grab a healing fairy from two screens below. The Fairy Armor helped me a lot too.

I have no such fairies :v:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

victrix posted:

I'm pretty sure the lamp of time works on minibosses, so you can kick his rear end with the power of irony.

Sumdian
Feb 13, 2010

Potential for Anything

victrix posted:

I have no such fairies :v:

You get a questline to unlock them in the endless corridor. The item you need is in the Temple of the Sun

Crimson Harvest posted:

Is there a decent place to farm money? I just bought Move.exe and torude.exe and now I can't afford a key item.

Grab the item fairy (the green one) and head for the screen above and to the left of the grail point in the Chamber of Extinction, destroy the blocks on the right hand side, screen transition, come back, repeat, and you'll get 500+ gold per fairy.

Sumdian fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 23, 2012

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm enjoying this game less and less the farther I get. Doing something in one part of the ruins and then randomly scouring every other area to find the one thing that changed is not fun :|

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

victrix posted:

I'm enjoying this game less and less the farther I get. Doing something in one part of the ruins and then randomly scouring every other area to find the one thing that changed is not fun :|

Yeah, I'm feeling somewhat similar. My biggest gripe is how crummy the ingame map is. I literally was stuck for a full hour because I could not remember there was a connection between the mausoleum and the twin labyrinth.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

victrix posted:

You can pretty much loop him between the top left and bottom right corners, so if you hit him from underneath with the axe a couple times and preemptively run to his other spot, you can keep hitting him and bouncing him back and forth.

Every time he casts his stop time, if you can hit him in the second or so after before you freeze, it breaks it.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Shlapintogan posted:

Okay, testing the loops for the Arranged soundtrack one last time before I distribute. Hell Temple is as difficult to loop as it is to beat.

e: And done! Here is the Arranged Soundtrack pack for use in 32-bit La Mulana.

Thanks a lot for your work. I like both the arranged soundtrack and the chiptune version more than the new music so this is very exciting.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

What's the trick to phase 2 baphomet? He teleports all around, out of reach of weapons. Flares just hit his feet.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just got unlucky with bad placement.

Crimson Harvest fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 23, 2012

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

tooooooo bad posted:

That's not it The entrance is at Twin Labyrinths I-1 and you need the Crystal Skull to get in. Jump on the statue's belt to get up to it.

Thanks - I got an idea for the thread title if the OP ever changes it. "How the hell was I supposed to know that?"

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

RadicalR posted:

Thanks - I got an idea for the thread title if the OP ever changes it. "How the hell was I supposed to know that?"

In this specific case, there's a monument somewhere that says something to the line of "stand on Neptune's navel" as far as figuring out how to reach the platform goes; as for what to use, the glowing skulls should be a hint.

My question--Hell Temple, room 10, the one with the thingies that lower when standing and the fireball spitter, I can't seem seem to place weights on the pedestals despite a good while of trying. Am I just completely unable to mash it right or am I missing something? (Not the hidden one, I found that.)

thark fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 23, 2012

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

In fact, how do you even get to the room with that hint? I assume it's in the top few rooms that don't have a ladder going to them? What's the trick for the ladder? I know the puzzle with the ladies, but I can't do that until I have the Magatama, which I get from Tiamat, to kill which properly I'd need the hint, so I assume the ladder can't be from the fairy puzzle.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Dropbear posted:

In fact, how do you even get to the room with that hint? I assume it's in the top few rooms that don't have a ladder going to them? What's the trick for the ladder?

You access the top part via the passage from the top left of the Chamber of Birth. Don't precisely recall which boss unlocks the door(s). I believe you need the final seal to activate the ladder back down (which is more of a convenience thing).

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

poo poo I need to do -

Chamber of Birth (stuck just after the grail point, there's a giant statue and nothing to do)
Dimension Corridor
Get some bombs

I don't know how to do anything now. Everything i'm reading on the wiki is saying how I need to get a woman statue and an ocarina and that's all well and good but I can't actually progress here at all anymore. This game is just so frustrating cause I know i'll have just missed one thing in a random corner of the map or i'm in the right room but doing the wrong thing. I love it when it's going well, but spending an hour walking around finding no way to progress is just irritating :|

edit - this is my inventory.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Woman Statue - Go to the Chamber of Birth via Graveyard of the Giants. Make your way to the room where you see two statues tilted over. Jump up and keep holding right - eventually the statues will fall over opening a new room.

Bombs - Go to the Graveyard of the Giants via Tower of the Goddess. Explore there - you should find what you're looking for.

Dimension Corridor - My suggestion is to get the Twin Statue. You missed the chest in the Endless Corridor. And save this one for last, you'll want to get all the upgrades first.

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 23, 2012

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

thark posted:

My question--Hell Temple, room 10, the one with the thingies that lower when standing and the fireball spitter, I can't seem seem to place weights on the pedestals despite a good while of trying. Am I just completely unable to mash it right or am I missing something? (Not the hidden one, I found that.)

Only one lowers at a time.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Quick note about Shu: it doesn't block while it's using its weapons. I beat it by timing shuriken throws to match his attacks. It wasn't tremendously difficult because I didn't have to stand next to it, so I wasn't taking much contact damage. Shu actually ended up being one of my favorite boss fights.

Edit: on that note, though, I didn't know you had room to swing at Tiamat from beneath, so I went through thirty or forty attempts using only bombs and flares (the only sub-weapons that injure tiamat). When I finally had a perfect run and hit her with every single bomb and flare I had from a full inventory, and still wasn't finished, I started to get the impression that I was missing something.

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 23, 2012

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Where can I buy more bombs? I used them all up trying to break a wall in the Temple of the Sun (it didn't open).

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

RadicalR posted:

Woman Statue - Go to the Chamber of Birth via Graveyard of the Giants. Make your way to the room where you see two statues tilted over. Jump up and keep holding right - eventually the statues will fall over opening a new room.

Bombs - Go to the Graveyard of the Giants via Tower of the Goddess. Explore there - you should find what you're looking for.

Dimension Corridor - My suggestion is to get the Twin Statue. You missed the chest in the Endless Corridor. And save this one for last, you'll want to get all the upgrades first.

I've got the twin statue, and - was about to type something about Graveyard here, but gently caress, I "unlocked" the path from Tower of the Goddess. Guess I should have walked forward further last time I was here.

Thanks a lot :) loving guardian statue throwing a giant shield at me

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

DolphinCop posted:

Quick note about Shu: it doesn't block while it's using its weapons. I beat it by timing shuriken throws to match his attacks. It wasn't tremendously difficult because I didn't have to stand next to it, so I wasn't taking much contact damage. Shu actually ended up being one of my favorite boss fights.

Shu is really, really easy once you realize that two swings at the shield on ground level freezes him for a second, then you jump and hit him in the face.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

Shu is really, really easy once you realize that two swings at the shield on ground level freezes him for a second, then you jump and hit him in the face.

Shu is also really easy when you just drop the dripping chandelier thing on him. Unfortunately this only happens in bizarro world La-Mulana where puzzles actually make logical sense.

I just threw shurikens until I got tired then shot his loving head off. Actually once you learn how to grind money using the pistol becomes a great stress reliever.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

nftyw posted:

Shu is also really easy when you just drop the dripping chandelier thing on him. Unfortunately this only happens in bizarro world La-Mulana where puzzles actually make logical sense.

I just threw shurikens until I got tired then shot his loving head off. Actually once you learn how to grind money using the pistol becomes a great stress reliever.

Speaking of which, where's the best place to go once you get a green fairy? I always get one by accident then panic and go to the nearest pots/enemies and just kill poo poo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thievery posted:

Speaking of which, where's the best place to go once you get a green fairy? I always get one by accident then panic and go to the nearest pots/enemies and just kill poo poo.

This should probably be put in the OP. Monument of Extinction grail point, one screen up then take the upper route to the left, hit all 4 blocks, get coins, screen transition twice, repeat.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

This should probably be put in the OP. Monument of Extinction grail point, one screen up then take the upper route to the left, hit all 4 blocks, get coins, screen transition twice, repeat.

Also the person that gets the top of every page should probably just repost it in bold.

nftyw posted:

You can do that? If it actually kills him there must be a way (using patented La-Mulogictm technology) to actually do it in a predictable manner. When I get back to him next playthrough I guess I will need to play around in there a bit.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Underwhelmed posted:

You can do that? If it actually kills him there must be a way (using patented La-Mulogictm technology) to actually do it in a predictable manner. When I get back to him next playthrough I guess I will need to play around in there a bit.

What you have to do is find a really, really fat virgin ghost so when she lands on the spikes the whole contraption breaks loose and lands on the guy. So better find some way to add some pounds on that Woman Statue (which I haven't found yet, by the way. Sigh)

If you haven't figured it out yet I'm pretty sure there is no way to get that ceiling thingy to fall :ssh:

Also I used bravery and courage to survive that falling ceiling trap in the Moon temple and got jack. Thanks a lot, La Mulana "clue" tablets.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 23, 2012

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

nftyw posted:

If you haven't figured it out yet I'm pretty sure there is no way to get that ceiling thingy to fall :ssh:

See there you went and made me think there was some secret trick that I didn't know about. Thanks. So hopeful was I that this was possible, that I fell for your little ruse. Well played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Okay, stumped once again. I feel so terrible at this. Temple of Extinction - I got the funny looking key - so what am I supposed to do with this? I'm not seeing anything I can use it on.

• Locked thread