Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jensen posted:

You should train yourself to use the App Switcher button. It's really fast and extremely useful.

Definitely this. It does take a bit of getting used to but it's great for switching between a few apps that you know are open without having to go to the homescreen every time.

For the menu button thing, that is getting better, it just needs apps to be updated to properly support the new menu bar concept. A lot of stuff is using it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Geez Google.

I tried to cancel my 16 GB Play order after finding out Staples Canada had the N7 on Friday. I cancelled early morning and it still hasn't been acknowledged besides that the request was made.

My Staples one is now delivered, but I don't think I should be opening it until I'm sure Google isn't sending me one. It's not simple for me to refuse the package because I live in a building with a concierge.

$20 cheaper getting it from Staples to on account of not paying shipping.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

teethgrinder posted:

Geez Google.

I tried to cancel my 16 GB Play order after finding out Staples Canada had the N7 on Friday. I cancelled early morning and it still hasn't been acknowledged besides that the request was made.

My Staples one is now delivered, but I don't think I should be opening it until I'm sure Google isn't sending me one. It's not simple for me to refuse the package because I live in a building with a concierge.

$20 cheaper getting it from Staples to on account of not paying shipping.

I made a cancellation request on the 28th for the 8gb model because I decided to get the 16 instead, and my request never got a reply. I called them a week later and they said they can't cancel hardware orders on the play store. So now I'm getting 2 nexuses.

I'm also in Canada, and my card was charged yesterday for the 16gb, so even if they changed their policy for that it may be too late to cancel.

I can't find it now, but I'm I'm sure I saw somewhere that cancellations for hardware have to be placed within an hour of ordering, and by phone not email.

Edit:
here it is: "...you may be able to cancel your order up to one hour after it has been placed by contacting our support team; please call our support team at 1-855-83-NEXUS.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 23, 2012

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

oxsnard posted:

So I just got my nexus 7 up and running (purchased at staples). I've got what appears to be a row of bad pixels (I'll attach screenshots soon). I don't want to return it yet but was wondering what the feasibility was of keeping this bad tablet until staples gets more in stock, and buying a new one and then returning this one with the defective screen. How closely will they check model or serial numbers?

Quoting myself. Any thoughts? Think I can return the broken tablet once I buy a new one as soon as they have em back in stock?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I've been using my Nexus 7 for a few days now. I also own an iPad 2 and iPhone but I'm really happy with it so far. I like the build quality and the screen is more crisp than my iPad. I'm not entirely sold on the 7" form, mainly because landscape browsing is pretty useless on it, but it's definitely more comfortable to hold. Jelly Bean is great so far and is definitely leagues better than past Android versions I've used. It's fast, but still occasionally hangs up at random times (I'm assuming this will be fixed through updates)- overall, still doesn't seem as smooth as the iPad 2.

Overall, I'm just waiting for tablet versions of Flipboard, Spotify, & Twitter and I will feel comfortable selling off the iPad.

Oh, and the Google Play store is pretty garbage. I don't know why they can't have an easy way to sort through tablet optimized apps.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Konjuro posted:

I made a cancellation request on the 28th for the 8gb model because I decided to get the 16 instead, and my request never got a reply. I called them a week later and they said they can't cancel hardware orders on the play store. So now I'm getting 2 nexuses.

I'm also in Canada, and my card was charged yesterday for the 16gb, so even if they changed their policy for that it may be to late to cancel.

I can't find it now, but I'm I'm sure I saw somewhere that cancellations for hardware have to be placed within an hour of ordering, and by phone not email.
I gave them a call now. At first the lady sounded optimistic that it could be cancelled, but when she looked up my order, she said that despite any confirmation, credit card authorisation, or tracking number, it has since been handed over to the shipper.

She told me I could refuse delivery and be completely refunded so hopefully I can get the front desk to do so.

edit: The email she sent says I can still refuse it within 5 days of it being dropped off.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 23, 2012

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Well, the guy who talked to me after about an hour on hold was cheerful and helpful. maybe.

Allegedly I've been escalated to next-level support and will be contacted by e-mail with a link to google wallet and a 16gb nexus 7 for zero dollars and expedited shipping within 24-48 hours.

His story was that the glue holding the screen on was insufficiently heat-resistant, but that they have a stock of new-glue 16gb tablets available to ship out to bitchy customers.

We shall see. Unfortunately I'm out of town for a week coming up, so I don't know if I want to let it sit in e-mail till I get home then complete the transaction, or which.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

UncleGuito posted:

Overall, I'm just waiting for tablet versions of Flipboard, Spotify, & Twitter and I will feel comfortable selling off the iPad.
You might be waiting a long time; flipboard said an android tablet version is not on their road map. Maybe that'll change if the nexus 7 sells well enough but that was what they said last month. I'm with you though -- that's an awesome must-have app and the phone version doesn't cut it.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
For those of you with a Nexus 7, using this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YZI1VW/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00) dual USB charger, it won't work. The stock Asus charger that comes with the tablet is 2.0A vs the 1.5A the Duracell provides.

Might be better off going with something like this: http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-Travel-Charger-Devices-included/dp/B0073FCPSK/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

For anyone needing a N7 case, Toysrus has the Brick sleeve for the Kindle Fire on sale for $5 (it's $25 on Amazon, 4.5 stars, fits the N7 according to reviews):

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12550063

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 23, 2012

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Feedly is a pretty good, tablet friendly, magazine style news reader. Although it has issues on some of the more modern devices, a new version is coming fairly soon that addresses a lot of that. Probably use that instead of Flipboard or Pulse.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

UncleGuito posted:

For anyone needing a N7 case, Toysrus has the Brick sleeve for the Kindle Fire on sale for $5 (it's $25 on Amazon, 4.5 stars, fits the N7 according to reviews):

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12504952

A bit TOO colorful for my taste..

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
If any of you are DIY types and itching for a good n7 case, you should consider making one yourself from a small hardcover. I decided to try it out this past Saturday and it turned out so much better than I thought it would. I was expecting my efforts to yield a sloppy case that would hold me over until I bought a "real" one, but it's solid enough that I might just use this until it breaks.

Literally took me no more than 20 minutes of effort.

• With x-acto knife, cut out pages of a small hardcover
• cut a piece of black felt to match the cover size
• get some black elastic (at any dollar store) and sew it into 2 loops, which you then thread through slits in the felt
• with spray adhesive or a good glue, really soak the hell out of the back of the felt, then press onto book

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Freezer posted:

A bit TOO colorful for my taste..
My bad- I meant to link the black one. If you search for it, it should come up.

Edit: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12550063

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 23, 2012

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

UncleGuito posted:

I've been using my Nexus 7 for a few days now. I also own an iPad 2 and iPhone but I'm really happy with it so far. I like the build quality and the screen is more crisp than my iPad. I'm not entirely sold on the 7" form, mainly because landscape browsing is pretty useless on it, but it's definitely more comfortable to hold. Jelly Bean is great so far and is definitely leagues better than past Android versions I've used. It's fast, but still occasionally hangs up at random times (I'm assuming this will be fixed through updates)- overall, still doesn't seem as smooth as the iPad 2.

Oh, and the Google Play store is pretty garbage. I don't know why they can't have an easy way to sort through tablet optimized apps.

I feel like there are very few ways you can get it to hang up. One of them is definitely trying to do anything while an app is installing, another one is sliding through a home screen right as a widget updates (like the youtube flick widget), and the other way I've found is to use a particularly intensive live wallpaper.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Jensen posted:

I feel like there are very few ways you can get it to hang up. One of them is definitely trying to do anything while an app is installing, another one is sliding through a home screen right as a widget updates (like the youtube flick widget), and the other way I've found is to use a particularly intensive live wallpaper.
I've mainly noticed it while web browsing when trying to scroll very fast- not sure if that's an issue with Chrome though (it doesn't do that in Chrome on my 4S or iPad 2).

Also, why is there no snap to top shortcut in the browser?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yay I got a Nexus 7 from Staples ...

And as far as I can tell, something about it just totally defective. It's loving weird, just certain screen elements refuse to respond to touch for a while, while others work fine. Sometimes taps don't work, but swiping does. Or vice versa.

Trying to get my Google Account information in was a massive exercise in frustration.

Maybe I can just plain return it to Staples and wait on my Play delivery. Piece of poo poo.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

teethgrinder posted:

Yay I got a Nexus 7 from Staples ...

And as far as I can tell, something about it just totally defective. It's loving weird, just certain screen elements refuse to respond to touch for a while, while others work fine. Sometimes taps don't work, but swiping does. Or vice versa.

Trying to get my Google Account information in was a massive exercise in frustration.

Maybe I can just plain return it to Staples and wait on my Play delivery. Piece of poo poo.

Download multi touch test and see if it's properly responding.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Doesn't respond at all. Didn't have too much trouble downloading it, but was stymied trying to unlock the screen for a while.

edit: tried three different ones and none of them react. Oddly the menu buttons do just fine.

Also managed to crash the launcher twice before after getting my account information in

edit2: It's weird, it almost seems like it's either a software problem, or that pushes are getting "stuck" or something.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 24, 2012

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

Doesn't respond at all. Didn't have too much trouble downloading it, but was stymied trying to unlock the screen for a while.

edit: tried three different ones and none of them react. Oddly the menu buttons do just fine.

Also managed to crash the launcher twice before after getting my account information in

edit2: It's weird, it almost seems like it's either a software problem, or that pushes are getting "stuck" or something.

Try doing a factory reset. Some people have complained about it being buggy & slow out of the box and remedied it through a reset.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

No dice. Not only that, there seems to be a complete dead spot on the low middle part of the screen, exactly where the factory reset button sits. I couldn't do it until I unlocked rotation from the status menu and made the button move to a new physical location.

It's going back, somehow.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Polo-Rican posted:

Literally took me no more than 20 minutes of effort.

Lovely! Nice work.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Does anyone know if Walmart is actually shipping 16 GB units? It says it'll be here between Friday and Tuesday, but with all the media reporting that the world is out of 16 Gig tablets, I don't know if I trust the site.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sorry for the post-post-posting!

But now after wasting two hours on loving around with this thing it just spontaneously seems to be fine, even the dead spot that has never previously worked.

edit: spoke too soon. Got a two minute tease of how this thing is supposed to work :(

edit2: Found some people with vaguely similar issues:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1779652

I'm definitely not touching the screen when waking the device like the original poster, but looks like several other people have symptoms similar to mine.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 24, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

UncleGuito posted:

Pretty sure flip board stated they will not make a tablet optimized android app.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This keeps coming up. Flipboard made that statement before the Nexus 7 was ever even announced. I would consider it highly likely that they would at least think about it now.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Pretty sure flip board stated they will not make a tablet optimized android app.

I think that was before the Nexus 7 was announced. Perhaps they'll change their stance on that with the popularity of the Nexus 7.

edit: Yeah what teethgrinder just said before me, I should have read the full thread before replying.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I wonder what the percentage of people with faulty N7's is. Between this thread and people I know everyone seems to have some type of problem. One of these days Asus is going to put a quality assurance department in place.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Kynetx posted:

Lovely! Nice work.

Thanks! But it's already falling apart. Either heavy strength spray adhesive isn't strong enough or I didn't put enough on.

BunLengthHotDog posted:

possible screen creep fix

As an update, I did this a few days ago and it seemed to work, but yeah, a day later the screen was back up. But we're literally talking a half-millimeter here. If I hadn't read about the defect on this thread I would almost definitely have not spotted it at all.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

thebushcommander posted:

I wonder what the percentage of people with faulty N7's is. Between this thread and people I know everyone seems to have some type of problem. One of these days Asus is going to put a quality assurance department in place.

As a Canadian who pre-ordered but got hosed due to the stock outage and is due to have his delivered on Thursday fresh from batch #2, I'll update the thread on my first impressions.

Off topic, does anyone know when the ASUS Infinity is due to hit retailers such as best buy or future shop? I want to get one for my Mom and Dad before they go on vacation in September so they can watch movies on it on the plane.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My Google Play N7 is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Assuming I can return my busted one to Staples, at this point I'll eat the $20 delivery fee just to get a working one. This will be incredibly aggravating if I have to go through a month or two long RMA process.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

Thanks! But it's already falling apart. Either heavy strength spray adhesive isn't strong enough or I didn't put enough on.

As an update, I did this a few days ago and it seemed to work, but yeah, a day later the screen was back up. But we're literally talking a half-millimeter here. If I hadn't read about the defect on this thread I would almost definitely have not spotted it at all.

Does this matter though? A defect is a defect, I would have them fix it.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

oxsnard posted:

Quoting myself. Any thoughts? Think I can return the broken tablet once I buy a new one as soon as they have em back in stock?

Your guess is as good as anyone else.

Since it's so early into the release and with all the problems they have, they'd probably just do what they're doing for others(credit for a new and you return the old when you get the new).

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to lock the menu buttons on the bottom of the screen or move them to the top? I'm starting to get used to typing on the n7's smaller screen, but it's impossible type landscape without accidentally hitting the menu buttons.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

powderific posted:

Is there any way to lock the menu buttons on the bottom of the screen or move them to the top? I'm starting to get used to typing on the n7's smaller screen, but it's impossible type landscape without accidentally hitting the menu buttons.

I had this problem trying to type on a galaxy nexus, it was infuriating. There should be some kind of detection that disables those buttons momentarily while typing. Kind of like on laptops which will disable the trackpad while typing.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

Does this matter though? A defect is a defect, I would have them fix it.

Pretty much this. I probably wouldn't have bothered ordering a replacement from mine if I hadn't read so many reports of the same defect, but I did. It's a fairly widespread issue and Google should take care of it. I just wonder how long the replacements will take to ship, especially since the 16GB model is no longer available from the Play Store.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I wish there were better cases for Nexus7. I can't find anything that I like.

http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Portfo...ic+case+nexus+7

This one looks interesting, but it's not available yet. I'd really like a front only case, since the back of the device is a nice texture. Maybe the Apple Smart Cover patent with magnetic attachment is too much of a risk for someone to make a simliar case.

I think, though, and interesting idea for a case would just be a rubberized metal rectangle frame that fits around the tablet that has no back, with a face cover attached to one edge. I could even have a magnet on the edge to secure it closed, but not to the tablet but to the opposite case edge. I've seen some iPhone cases that are hard metal that you have to assemble around the phone's body with hex screws, something like that, but mainly as a means to attach a face cover to the device. Maybe I can email that Goon that makes iPhone/iPad cases with my idea.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you

thebushcommander posted:

I haven't had any problems with my N7 (knock on wood). Hopefully this is a vocal minority type thing and not a "We shipped with a 50%+ defect rate" thing. I'd like to see the nexus succeed and have more tablets based off this model, than another lovely-mediocre tablet on the market.

In terms of rugged cases: Otterbox did eventually make one for the Kindle Fire, I'm sure with enough time it'll eventually come out. I'd love to have some form of protection around my nexus so I can be rougher with it and not worry.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

cbubbles posted:

I haven't had any problems with my N7 (knock on wood). Hopefully this is a vocal minority type thing and not a "We shipped with a 50%+ defect rate" thing. I'd like to see the nexus succeed and have more tablets based off this model, than another lovely-mediocre tablet on the market.

My Google Play N7 Shipped late and is also defect free as of this moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I wish there were better cases for Nexus7. I can't find anything that I like.
All I want is a plain neoprene pouch with a hole for charger/headphone cable and some kind of a zip/flap to take it out. And for it to not look like something a five year old would design. That seems to be a lot to ask, apparently.