Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

I read recently that one of the concerns for the regime about jets is someone might choose to defect and take a detour to the presidential palace on the way out of the country to drop off a few bombs, so it might reflect a shift in the psychology of the regime more than anything.

Hasn't there been recent defections within the air forces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Young Freud posted:

Hasn't there been recent defections within the air forces?

Yeah, I think they were on training flights, probably made the regime a bit nervous.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Now sure how accurate this is:

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002403.html

The entry on the website is dated 7/23/12

quote:

I am writing you to inform you that our nuclear program has once again been compromised and attacked by a new worm with exploits which have shut down our automation network at Natanz and another facility Fordo near Qom.

According to the email our cyber experts sent to our teams, they believe a hacker tool Metasploit was used. The hackers had access to our VPN. The automation network and Siemens hardware were attacked and shut down. I only know very little about these cyber issues as I am scientist not a computer expert.

There was also some music playing randomly on several of the workstations during the middle of the night with the volume maxed out. I believe it was playing 'Thunderstruck' by AC/DC.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Slashdot has been talking about that. It seems more likely that this is a disinformation campaign, akin to the one where Iran paraded around a model duplicate of their captured American UAV. There's little reason that they would be targeted by independent hackers, and it's difficult to believe that government hackers would use the Metasploit exploit, much less use it to play music.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Kaal posted:

Nope. I think that we liberals need to drop the phrase "war crime" from our lexicon entirely, as it's clear we don't know how to use it correctly.

edit: No personal offense intended. I just got out of a ridiculous thread where people were calling the shooting of injured yet-still-fighting soldiers to be "war crimes".

Non taken. I think you're right actually. The term tends to be used a bit too often, which can trivialize truly appalling crimes.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

The eyes can mislead, a smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth.

mitztronic posted:

Now sure how accurate this is:

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002403.html

The entry on the website is dated 7/23/12

GBS has a thread about it.

I have to say though, making your virus inform the guy you hacked in song just how hacked he got is pretty hilarious. Good choice of song, too. Somehow this makes me wish it's true.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Is that psychology one of desperation, or faith in its military?

Perhaps faith in not being present in the presidential palace, or at least outside of what I can only imagine is the bunker below it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Ian Pannell has reportedly said "Heard them, saw them, filmed them" over the jets he said he spotted.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Wow Hillary Clinton sounds confident:

http://blogs.aljazeera.com/liveblog/topic/syria-153

quote:

Rebel fighters battling Syrian President Bashar al Assad are making territorial gains that will eventually become "safe havens" and provide a base for further operations against government forces, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on Tuesday.

"We have to work closely with the opposition, because more and more territory is being taken and it will eventually result in a safe haven inside Syria that will then provide a base for
further actions by the opposition," Clinton told reporters during an appearance with Haiti's visiting prime minister.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Unconfirmed reports that Syrian Ambassador to Cyprus has defected

http://www.yalibnan.com/2012/07/24/another-syrian-ambassador-defects-to-opposition-2/

quote:

Syrian ambassador to Cyprus Lamya al Hariri has defected to the opposition and is now in Qatar, Al Arabiya TV reported on Tuesday .

If confirmed this will be the third Syrian ambassador that defects to the opposition.

Syria’s ambassador to Belarus, Farouk Taha, defected last week to the opposition.

Nawaf al-Fares who was Syria’s top man in Baghdad, Iraq defected about 2 weeks ago and publicly embraced his country’s uprising.

In an interview with CNN last week Fares called for foreign military intervention to topple President Bashar al-Assad. He accused the Damascus regime of collaborating with al Qaeda militants against opponents both in Syria and in neighboring Iraq.

al-Jazeera and Alarabiya have reported on it, say she has arrived in Qatar

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 24, 2012

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Pretty confident for someone whose intelligence agencies couldn't even get inside Syria.

something original
Sep 9, 2011
Short summary of the state of the conflict by Col. Malik Kurdi, spokesman for the Free Syrian Army command

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/syrian-rebels-still-hopeful-as-government-regains-initiative-in-damascus/2012/07/23/gJQA3JLg4W_story.html posted:

We do not keep control of crossings and checkpoints. We controlled Bab al-Hawa, then we pulled out, then we controlled it again, and so it goes on. We cannot say the Free Syrian Army is in complete control, and we cannot say the regime army is in complete control, and this will stay the same until the Free Syrian Army gets heavy weapons and there are more defections.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Yeah that sounds pretty promsi...

something original posted:

Short summary of the state of the conflict by Col. Malik Kurdi, spokesman for the Free Syrian Army command

Nevermind. It appears that someone coming out and contradicting the spirit of her message within a few hours isn't just limited to negotiations with Russia.

Edit: Just to add a few more thoughts, the Syrian regime now using jets and bombing even more indiscriminately just shows why the FSA can't and probably shouldn't capture and hold anywhere right now. It'll just become a giant target and until they find themselves in possession of anti-air capability that's way more capable than a few busted ZSUs (or we have defections from the air force in notable numbers) that's not going to change.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 24, 2012

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

J33uk posted:

Yeah that sounds pretty promsi...

Nevermind. It appears that someone coming out and contradicting the spirit of her message within a few hours isn't just limited to negotiations with Russia.

I don't think those two statements are entirely contradictory. Control could simply be a matter of freedom of movement, of which the FSA appears to have quite a bit.

But yeah, I would concur in the opinion that the US government doesn't appear to be well situated to fight a covert war in Syria; they just don't seem to really know or understand what is going on.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torpor posted:

I don't think those two statements are entirely contradictory. Control could simply be a matter of freedom of movement, of which the FSA appears to have quite a bit.

But yeah, I would concur in the opinion that the US government doesn't appear to be well situated to fight a covert war in Syria; they just don't seem to really know or understand what is going on.

I'm sure they have a better idea of what's going on than any of us. Doing anything in Syria is the equivalent of sticking your hand in a wasps nest during campaign season. What happens if the FSA gets support from the U.S. and then turns around and certain factions start committing genocide against the Alawite and/or Kurd people? In hindsight, we shouldn't have done that isn't going to resonate too well.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Here's an interesting roundtable discussion over Syria that I think brought up some interesting points: http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/3189/the-call-for-july-22-2012-russian-ambitions-in
Some of the things mentioned:
  • Russia is becoming less interested in intervention but is primarily concerned about the Islamization of the Middle East
  • Turkey backs the rebels so as to secure its position as the overland natural gas route to Europe
  • The Sauds and Qataris are trying to export revolution in an attempt to turn Iraq and Lebanon into Sunni-governed states
  • Assad might be planning to create an Alawi rump state north-west Syria backed with chemical WMDs, leaving the rest of Syria in anarchy.
Definitely worth a read.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

quote:

Assad is likely to survive, possibly by creating an Alawite enclave surrounded by a chaotic tribal region in which various Sunni factions contend for power; Russia would back this.

:rolleyes:

Even Landis thinks this is unlikely. Also the weirdly pejorative use of tribal here bothers me.

edit: to elaborate, the various tribal leaders are one of the more stabilizing forces. They've been careful not to put their lot against Assad until their hands were forced and have often acted as a mediating element. Hassan Hassan talks about the role of tribal forces in Syria a lot in his columns in The National.

http://www.thenational.ae/thenationalconversation/comment/a-damascus-loyalist-defects-as-violence-affects-the-tribes

http://www.thenational.ae/thenationalconversation/comment/tribal-bonds-strengthen-the-gulfs-hand-in-a-new-syria

To describe the heavily Sunni areas of Syria as a "chaotic tribal region" is problematic in many ways.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 24, 2012

Valley Troll
Jun 19, 2012

Xandu posted:

Even Landis thinks this is unlikely. Also the weirdly pejorative use of tribal here bothers me.

As far as I'm aware, the Gatestone Institute is a crazy right wing "media" outlet a la MEMRI that usually focuses on churning out articles about how muslim extremists are planning to personally assassinate every christian in the world.

their most viewed stories:

quote:

Most Viewed

Who Will Save the Christians in the Gaza Strip?
How Political Correctness Is Transforming British Education
Sodomy "For the Sake of Islam"
Mega-Mosques: "Building a French Islam"
Anti-Semitism Sweeping France

including the now-debunked 'sodomy for islam' story where idiot rightwingers ran with a story that was originally essentially a chain letter joke on arabic language forums: http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/benjamin-doherty/israel-intel-linked-memri-perpetuates-sodomy-jihad-hoax

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Valley Troll posted:

As far as I'm aware, the Gatestone Institute is a crazy right wing "media" outlet a la MEMRI that usually focuses on churning out articles about how muslim extremists are planning to personally assassinate every christian in the world.

Interesting. Pepe Escobar is pretty left wing as far as I'm aware, but they also have recently had events with Geert Wilders and Daniel Pipes. So ugh.

I don't know how reliable this story is, but it claims Russia stopped Assad from using Sarin gas.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/24/us-syria-crisis-chemicals-idUSBRE86N11Z20120724

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/24/us-syria-crisis-chemicals-idUSBRE86N11Z20120724

quote:

There has been a barrage of warnings about Syria's chemical arsenal this month, especially strident from the United States and Israel, but accompanied by firm but private advice from Russia, Assad's main international ally, to put an end to speculation he might use it.

One Western diplomat in the region said: "There was talk of them using it two weeks ago, but the Russians intervened quickly to stop him.

"If you think how desperate these people are and what they have done in the past, you have to assume they would be prepared to use it. All of us think he (Assad) is capable of using it and will do it if he was pushed to the wall," the diplomat said, referring to credible reports that Assad was preparing to use Sarin gas against Syrian rebels.

But "the Russians got hold of him and told him ‘don't even think about it'".

Moscow went further on Monday, publicly warning Assad not to use chemical weapons, which it said was barred by Syria's 1968 ratification of an international protocol against using poison gas in war.

"The Russian side proceeds from the assumption that Syrian authorities will continue to strictly adhere to the undertaken international obligations," it said.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Xandu posted:

edit: to elaborate, the various tribal leaders are one of the more stabilizing forces. They've been careful not to put their lot against Assad until their hands were forced and have often acted as a mediating element. Hassan Hassan talks about the role of tribal forces in Syria a lot in his columns in The National.

http://www.thenational.ae/thenationalconversation/comment/a-damascus-loyalist-defects-as-violence-affects-the-tribes

http://www.thenational.ae/thenationalconversation/comment/tribal-bonds-strengthen-the-gulfs-hand-in-a-new-syria

To describe the heavily Sunni areas of Syria as a "chaotic tribal region" is problematic in many ways.
If the state suddenly withdrew from 'Sunni Syria' leaving only the militias it wouldn't exactly be unrealistic that the various clans and brigades wouldn't make a peaceful transition to a government they all have consensus in. Much to the opposite it would probably be cut up largely along tribal/family/clan/whatever you want to call it lines as in Somalia.

Of course that is a big 'if' for Assad as it would mean losing control over large swaths of territory and most of the population while still having to maintain a military that poses a credible threat, the rebels would probably have to seize and hold Damascus and Aleppo for Assad to become that desperate.

Valley Troll posted:

their most viewed stories:

including the now-debunked 'sodomy for islam' story where idiot rightwingers ran with a story that was originally essentially a chain letter joke on arabic language forums: http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/benjamin-doherty/israel-intel-linked-memri-perpetuates-sodomy-jihad-hoax
:ughh:

This is extremely embarrassing. I'd made a cursory review of the front page and saw a lot of things contributed by writers I at least view as credible discussing sane topics. For the record I was linked there from one of Escobar's articles.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Don't apologize, no one knows what is going on, and in this subject any information is useful, it's just good to acknowledge bias and how it affects speculation (which is a good 50% of the media).

To be fair to MEMRI their translations are accurate (like that notorious Muslim Brotherhood speech), but they also made no effort to control it burning across the internet as a video of Morsi giving his acceptance speech or whatever.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

McDowell posted:

To be fair to MEMRI their translations are accurate

The funniest tidbit about MEMRI translations is that Iranian state media came up with the "wipe Israel off the map" translation and MEMRI of all places had the more accurate "the regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the pages of time".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

eSports Chaebol posted:

The funniest tidbit about MEMRI translations is that Iranian state media came up with the "wipe Israel off the map" translation and MEMRI of all places had the more accurate "the regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the pages of time".

MEMRI was founded by a former MOSSAD agent. As with all intelligence agencies, any time you run into a former intelligence agent, you just have to remember that they're not really out of the business, they've just moved what they do above ground.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Young Freud posted:

MEMRI was founded by a former MOSSAD agent. As with all intelligence agencies, any time you run into a former intelligence agent, you just have to remember that they're not really out of the business, they've just moved what they do above ground.

Because I was curious and pedantic: Mossad is not an acronym, but maybe you were yelling.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

McDowell posted:

Don't apologize, no one knows what is going on, and in this subject any information is useful, it's just good to acknowledge bias and how it affects speculation (which is a good 50% of the media).

I decided to do some research on the actual contributors to that article, and I was able to find this:

The contributors for that particular article were Escobar and Goldman ('Spengler'), both columnists for the Asia Times with a liberal/left bent, Jim Davis who as far as I can tell is a guy who wrote fairly anodyne articles about Russia in 2005 and once donated $250 to the RNC, Tony Badran who is a fellow at a pro-Israel pro-West 'non-partisan' think tank with connections to such savory figures as Joe Lieberman, Bill Kristol and Newt Gingrich, and finaly David Samuels, Generic American Liberal. So, was this an actual roundtable, Zionist scaremongering (:tinfoil:) or a mix? Can't say, really.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Golbez posted:

Because I was curious and pedantic: Mossad is not an acronym, but maybe you were yelling.

Sorry, I thought it was. Actually, I think it's an Hebrew abbreviation, but you're right, it ain't a acronym.

Valley Troll
Jun 19, 2012
Looks like Morsi is moving towards slightly, symbolically easing the siege of Gaza, which turned 5 this month:

quote:

Political and security officials said today that Cairo is planning to facilitate and not to entirely remove the set of rules that regulate the entry of Palestinians in Gaza into Egypt.
According to one of these sources the plan is to move towards increasing the number of people allowed to cross at Rafah and to expand the definition of 'humanitarian cases' who are entitled to a faster and easier entry into Egypt.

The same source said that there are plans, soon to be implemented, to upgrade the performance of passport control at Rafah to reduce the hardship that Palestinians have always long pointed to. Rafah is the only non-Israeli control exit for the otherwise besieged and impoverished Strip where over 1.5 million Palestinians have been suffering for over five years the harsh consequences of a tough Israeli siege. The blockade is compounded by the cooperation of the West Bank based Palestinian Authority and the Egyptian state under the rule of ousted president Hosni Mubarak prompted by fears of Islamist militants infiltrating to launch attacks against Israel from Sinai.

During a recent meeting in Cairo, President Mohamed Morsi promised Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal that regulations would be put in place to facilitate the entry of Palestinians 'for visits only' into Egypt.

"There are no plans that we are aware of to allow Palestinians to enter Egypt in significant numbers for long stay permits," said a security official.
http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/48492/Egypt/Politics-/No-major-change-for-Palestinians-in-Gaza-entering-.aspx

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

I decided to do some research on the actual contributors to that article, and I was able to find this:

The contributors for that particular article were Escobar and Goldman ('Spengler'), both columnists for the Asia Times with a liberal/left bent

Goldman aka "Spengler" is as far from "liberal/left" as you can get. The guy regularly writes for absurdly conservative PajamasMedia and is super paranoid about Muslims and George Soros. And he goes by "Spengler", which should give you a huuuge clue about his leanings. He was also a longtime LaRouche movement propagandist, but later disassociated himself from it.

zero alpha fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 25, 2012

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
He's either a Ghostbuster or a Goldmember. Neither are very credible titles.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zero alpha posted:

And he goes by "Spengler", which should give you a huuuge clue about his leanings.

Maybe he just really likes Ghostbusters.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Syrian tank taken out with RPG.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abtice/7640138486/sizes/c/in/photostream/

zero alpha
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Brown Moses posted:

I read recently that one of the concerns for the regime about jets is someone might choose to defect and take a detour to the presidential palace on the way out of the country to drop off a few bombs, so it might reflect a shift in the psychology of the regime more than anything.

I had actually wondered why the pilot who defected to Turkey didn't take out some Assad weaponry at least, if not the presidential palace itself.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

zero alpha posted:

I had actually wondered why the pilot who defected to Turkey didn't take out some Assad weaponry at least, if not the presidential palace itself.
Was his aircraft even armed? Besides not being armed on training flights, I would believe that lighter weight meant lower fuel consumption and thus longer possible flight time in the event of complications during a defection flight.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

zero alpha posted:

Probably didn't want to risk somebody launching a missile at him.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

zero alpha posted:

If I were escaping (defecting doesn't quite seem like the right word) a regime via plane then I wouldn't do something that would have every AA site in the country gunning for me on my way out.

A plausible explanation for what happened with that Turkish plane is that Syrian SAM batteries are on orders to shoot anything unidentified that looks like it's fleeing Syrian airspace.

Valley Troll
Jun 19, 2012
Anything related to Syria in the Saudi Al-Sharq Al-Awsat newspaper should be taken with a lot of salt, obviously, but here they publish an unsurprising denial by the FSA that the militants on video at the Bab al-Hawa border crossing are Al-Qaida fighters. Colonel Malak al-Kurdi basically says that there are no fighters from any other "Arab or Islamic states" and no Al-Qaida in the FSA, although they do have both "radical and secular" members as they represent all sections of Syrian society, but according to him the militants on video at the Bab al-Hawa crossing belong to the FSA.

(arabic) http://aawsat.com/details.asp?section=4&article=687639&issueno=12291

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

i poo poo trains posted:

Some of the things mentioned:
  • Assad might be planning to create an Alawi rump state north-west Syria backed with chemical WMDs, leaving the rest of Syria in anarchy.
Definitely worth a read.

Is there any reason Assad couldn't/wouldn't make like North Korea?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

cgeq posted:

I imagine it would be more of an Eritrea lite if it were actually to occur. He'd have more international partners, relations and legitimacy but dissent would probably be sharply curbed and conscription widespread.

edit: And in Aleppo-related news, this video shows an FSA tour through liberated neighborhoods, featuring a cheering crowd around 4:30 and an FSA checkpoint (seemingly operated by a minor?) at around 5:45. Interesting footage.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 25, 2012

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

cgeq posted:

They're certainly welcome to try, I'm sure when the Assadi territory is overrun by Syrian army it will rhyme well with the repeated invasions of Lebanon by Assadi troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Perhaps I shouldn't really be surprised by this, but it's been pretty telling to see coverage of the Syrian National Council just disappear from the media as of late.

• Locked thread