Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BlackMK4 posted:

Do they actually have software tests that can break the issue down that closely?

There is a module in Apple System Diagnostics that solely tests the BT/WiFi or just WiFi card itself. Can't tell you how detailed it tests because I've never come across a failed WiFi module yet.

As for the antenna/cable they should be able to either take the parts from a known good iMac and see, or just visually inspect the connection.

I have seen on more than one occasion a wireless issue fixed by simply removing and then reseating the cable to the antenna connector; I'd imagine the guy on the assembly line might have been on a bender the night before. There was an incident where they put the antenna cables in the wrong connectors a while back..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Petey posted:

Now that I have my Air, I'm thinking about getting an iMac. While my old black Macbook is still running OK, I only ever now use it as a desktop, and I figure if I am going to use it as a desktop I might as well get an actual desktop.

Through work I can get a ~2 year old black / silver:

Apple iMac 20" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz 4GB 320GB

for $300.

However, I'd only do this if:

- I can upgrade the HD (to a larger internal HD, or to a SSD + HD)
- there wasn't some crazy improvement over the last year or so in iMacs that would help here.

So how is the quality on these? I haven't owned a desktop since...2002 or so, so I'm a little out of the loop on the finer points of Apple's desktop offerings.

That sounds like a really cheap price to me, but the processor is like middle of the road for 2008, so it might not even be much of an upgrade over your macbook, depending on what model you actually have.

That being said, the HD is upgradeable, the instructions are here. The only way you would be able to add an SSD in addition to the HD is to remove the optical drive, which probably is possible, but you would have to do some research to be sure about that.

You might actually be better off just plugging your air into an external drive/mouse/keyboard/screen whenever you want to use it like a desktop, it's faster than either your old macbook or that iMac. But that can be inconvenient of course.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

illcendiary posted:

Anyone have any NAS recommendations for a Mac Mini/MBA setup?

I am using Time Machine to backup my MBA to a 2 TB Buffalo LS-XL. You have set up some stuff on the Buffalo but working so far.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Petey posted:

Now that I have my Air, I'm thinking about getting an iMac. While my old black Macbook is still running OK, I only ever now use it as a desktop, and I figure if I am going to use it as a desktop I might as well get an actual desktop.

for $300.

- there wasn't some crazy improvement over the last year or so in iMacs that would help here.

So how is the quality on these? I haven't owned a desktop since...2002 or so, so I'm a little out of the loop on the finer points of Apple's desktop offerings.

I mean, the jump from C2D to Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge was a significant boost to CPU power, and the GPU is much better in the new ones as well. It really just depends what your needs are from a desktop.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
For $300 you really can't go wrong. I use a 2010 13" MBP w/ 2.4 C2D/8GB Ram/SSD/HDD as my only system and it's still really not an issue speed wise for anything I do.

ShadeofBlue posted:

You might actually be better off just plugging your air into an external drive/mouse/keyboard/screen whenever you want to use it like a desktop, it's faster than either your old macbook or that iMac. But that can be inconvenient of course.
It'd come out pretty close price wise to do this though. Always nice to keep your poo poo to one system - I'd totally do that over the iMac.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Petey posted:

for $300.

That's a good price - you could probably turn around and sell that machine for $600 if you wanted, then sell your blackbook for $400 and buy a refurb 21.5" i5 iMac for $999

If you want to keep it, it has the Geforce 9400M graphics and can take up to 8GB of RAM, Combine that with an SSD, and while it won't be a speed demon, it should be a fairly comfortable machine. I set two of those up with the 2.4GHz CPU for developers at work, they're alright but I want to get them new machines.

One good, or bad thing about those is that the 20" models are 1680x1050 - not the 1920x1080 of the current 21.5" iMac. If you like things a little bit bigger on-screen it's a nice plus.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Why would you want a crummy ancient iMac if you had a new Air?
Just get a monitor/kb/mouse/external hard drive instead.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Petey posted:

Sell your soul and get the thunderbolt display and external storage. (I'm assuming you got a newer air.)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
How can I verify if there's a problem with the harddisk in my 2011 iMac?

Attempts to copy a large file are failing, and I'm getting this in the log:

quote:

kernel: disk1s2: I/O error.

:(

EDIT: If I have to get this thing replaced, any idea what it'll run me?

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 25, 2012

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I think getting it replaced out of warranty is under $300, based on what was on my applecare statement when mine died. That said, having just replaced mine again with an SSD last week, it's laughably easy if you take your time and read the ifixit guide.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Check with Disk Utility, hopefully it's just some repairable filesystem fuckup. Also check out SMART Utility, if the drive has been silently loving up it should show up there in the form of confusing names and numbers (I think "reallocated sector count" is the big one).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Small White Dragon posted:

How can I verify if there's a problem with the harddisk in my 2011 iMac?

Attempts to copy a large file are failing, and I'm getting this in the log:

:(

EDIT: If I have to get this thing replaced, any idea what it'll run me?

Buy whatever brand 7200RPM drive you like and replace it. You can pop the glass off with a credit card and you'll need a T10 torx driver to get the screen off ($5). Or get an SSD....

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/3.5-SerialATA/

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 25, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have some wireless router/modem that my cable company gave me. Everything works fine, but it can't reach into the rooms at the other end of my place.

I have an Airport Express (old one) kicking around, so I thought I'd turn that into an extender of sorts.

From what I'm gathering, and from the setup page, I'd need the Express to be plugged into ethernet for this to work, which I can't do. I just want to wirelessly put it a room or two "deep" so it'll help bridge that connection.

What am I doing wrong, or can it only be done with wires?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

So what are the implications of Apple not releasing a refreshed iMac today to coincide with ML? Everyone was waiting for that, as they've now gone longer than ever between hardware refreshes. Do such refreshes always coincide with some other release or milestone, or is it likely that they'll just "randomly" refresh the line at some point soon?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I have some wireless router/modem that my cable company gave me. Everything works fine, but it can't reach into the rooms at the other end of my place.

I have an Airport Express (old one) kicking around, so I thought I'd turn that into an extender of sorts.

From what I'm gathering, and from the setup page, I'd need the Express to be plugged into ethernet for this to work, which I can't do. I just want to wirelessly put it a room or two "deep" so it'll help bridge that connection.

What am I doing wrong, or can it only be done with wires?

I have the same god drat problem. From my research it looks like you could do what you're thinking of if you had two Airport Expresses (or Extremes), with one essentially hard-wired to your cableco shitbox router/modem. The Airports can extend/repeat the range of other Airports wirelessly, but not non-Airport networks.

Yeah, it sucks, totally share your pain on this one.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

So what are the implications of Apple not releasing a refreshed iMac today to coincide with ML? Everyone was waiting for that, as they've now gone longer than ever between hardware refreshes. Do such refreshes always coincide with some other release or milestone, or is it likely that they'll just "randomly" refresh the line at some point soon?

Well, for me, the implication is now I don't have the pressure to buy my first iMac while the summer education promotion is on, but can now just wait until there's 2012 (2013?) iMac refurbs.

The current rumor grist is that iMacs will probably be updated this fall (September-October) in a superblast that will also include new iPod Touches, iPod Nanos, 13" Retina MacBook Pros, mini iPads, and the new iPhone. Which, well, is ambitious and a little quixotic-sounding but it's just rumors.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

The implications are that Apple doesn't much care about their desktop line anymore given the success of the portables and the iPhones/iPads.

It's really sad if that's the case.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

It's also possible that they're going to do something big with them, possibly before the year ends. They've been spending a bit on R&D, likely spread between (potential) mini iPad and some sort of aTV (or retina display for a 27 inch imac?).

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

They've gotten some flak over the barely-an-update to the Mac Pros the other month, maybe they're waiting till there's actually more stuff to upgrade at a price point where they make $$$ but we pay the same as last year's model, who knows.

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!
I'm getting a 13" Air next week. I'm thinking of the 256gb upgrade and/or the 8gig ram upgrade. Are they worth it? With an external drive plus online storage, I'm leaning towards no and yes, respectively. Is there a strong reason to do/not do either of them? (i.e. is buying 8gigs of ram going to make it usable for a year longer or something?)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What do you plan to do with the Air? If you don't already know you need 8 gigs of RAM for something then you will probably be fine with 4.

To be honest if it was me I'd get the 256SSD and the 8gig RAM. I wouldn't be comfortable with any less than that with a new computer.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 25, 2012

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

What do you plan to do with the Air? If you don't already know you need 8 gigs of RAM for something then you will probably be fine with 4.
Speaking of which, on the new line of Airs, what is the bottleneck? It used to be the hard drive on my ThinkPad, but that's moot with SSD in the Air.

Not that I won't go for 8 GB RAM in my case, but I'm just curious.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

Buy whatever brand 7200RPM drive you like and replace it. You can pop the glass off with a credit card and you'll need a T10 torx driver to get the screen off ($5). Or get an SSD....

I believe you also need a T8 to get the studs out of the drive to put htem on the new one.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

ufarn posted:

Speaking of which, on the new line of Airs, what is the bottleneck?

The video card would be the big one for things that leverage it, otherwise it'd be the processor. I'd probably get the i7 if the Air is going to be your main computer for a while.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've noticed my clock is way off on every reboot, do the MBPs have a watch battery or anything like a regular motherboard (I don't think so but...)? It's super weird.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

I've noticed my clock is way off on every reboot, do the MBPs have a watch battery or anything like a regular motherboard (I don't think so but...)? It's super weird.

PRAM reset may help. Also, if you're frequently booting between OS X and Windows, the time will be wrong for a moment because it's stored differently in each OS.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ahhh, that would make sense then. The issue is only when I boot between the two so I guess that is it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Scienter posted:

I have the same god drat problem. From my research it looks like you could do what you're thinking of if you had two Airport Expresses (or Extremes), with one essentially hard-wired to your cableco shitbox router/modem. The Airports can extend/repeat the range of other Airports wirelessly, but not non-Airport networks.

Yeah, it sucks, totally share your pain on this one.
I think you can extend stuff that does WDS (which might be flakey between brands?), although I'm guessing the cable co's router doesn't support it. If speed is a concern then going that route sort of sucks since the wireless bandwidth is split up to connect the two access points.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BlackMK4 posted:

Ahhh, that would make sense then. The issue is only when I boot between the two so I guess that is it.

I've done this and it's resolved the problem for me.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

carry on then posted:

I've done this and it's resolved the problem for me.

Thank you :)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

japtor posted:

Check with Disk Utility, hopefully it's just some repairable filesystem fuckup. Also check out SMART Utility, if the drive has been silently loving up it should show up there in the form of confusing names and numbers (I think "reallocated sector count" is the big one).
Disk Utility showed everything as fine, which was suspect to me. Smarty Utility showed a bunch of errors, so thanks for pointing me to that utility.

Bob Morales posted:

I put in a new harddrive, but now apparently the iMac fans want to run at full speed. Googling it suggests this is a common problem -- anybody run into it before, and how did you fix it?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

The most consistent rumours have pointed to September - October for a while now (possibly to coincide with the next iPhone event?). I hope there's truth to this because my 2008, heavily-used, full-to-bursting iMac is becoming increasingly temperamental and I've been waiting to upgrade for a long time.

Even if the next update is a Mac Pro-style half-arsed affair, I'll probably be forced to pick one up. Add to the matter that there will presumably be a gradual move to retina screens from here on out, as someone who buys a computer every 4-5 years it might be hard to feel satisfied with either the 'last' generation of non-retina machines or the 'first' generation of retinas and any teething problems that might arise.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Tenterhooks posted:

The most consistent rumours have pointed to September - October for a while now (possibly to coincide with the next iPhone event?). I hope there's truth to this because my 2008, heavily-used, full-to-bursting iMac is becoming increasingly temperamental and I've been waiting to upgrade for a long time.

Even if the next update is a Mac Pro-style half-arsed affair, I'll probably be forced to pick one up. Add to the matter that there will presumably be a gradual move to retina screens from here on out, as someone who buys a computer every 4-5 years it might be hard to feel satisfied with either the 'last' generation of non-retina machines or the 'first' generation of retinas and any teething problems that might arise.
Rumor mill is divided as to when the retina screen iMacs will arrive. Some sources are saying it won't be this update but the subsequent one.

On another note, iMac users -- what are the normal operating temperatures for your Apple-provided SSD or HD?

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Small White Dragon posted:

Rumor mill is divided as to when the retina screen iMacs will arrive. Some sources are saying it won't be this update but the subsequent one.

Yeah, I get the impression retina iMacs won't appear with this update but worry that'll leave whatever they put out feeling outdated much more quickly than normal when they finally do arrive. The built-in screen has always been one of the main criticisms of the iMac (though I personally need a big display and like having one simple thing to deal with) and this might add another reason to be wary of them for the time being.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Tenterhooks posted:

Yeah, I get the impression retina iMacs won't appear with this update but worry that'll leave whatever they put out feeling outdated much more quickly than normal when they finally do arrive. The built-in screen has always been one of the main criticisms of the iMac (though I personally need a big display and like having one simple thing to deal with) and this might add another reason to be wary of them for the time being.

I don't give nearly as much of a drat about retina iMacs as I do retina cinema displays. Ffffffffff.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Tenterhooks posted:

This isn't supported by anything but my own assumptions but the first release of retina iMacs will probably have a parallel release of updated non-retina iMacs at the conventional price point, just like the MBP this time around. Eventually as the manufacturing and supply processes mature it'll be totally phased in (like the MB through to MBA) in a few iterations.

So, like, don't worry about it? It's a long con, so it's the same old buying game of just get the thing you want to get when you want to get it.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
Rumours about the 13" MBPr suggest the same 2x native resolution that the 15" has.

I wish they'd use the 1440x res that the Air has. I don't think I could cope with 1280.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I'm actually surprised, but it seems like Mountain Lion has given my 2008 C2D iMac a bit of a renewed lease on life - it's WAY snappier than it was with Lion and just feels smoother throughout in almost all operation. I can more comfortably wait until the next hardware refresh. Surprised that FinalCutX and Logic both seemed to be operating even better too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit : cool my iPhone is double posting for me.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ahaha. gently caress apple so hard. I am literally never spending another penny on one of their products. After all of this loving poo poo they decided there is nothing wrong with the airport on my iMac and I should reset my router. Even after after the genius bar guy couldn't get the Internet to work on their loving network and the guy on the phone yesterday said it failed 4 out of 5 tests,