Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

TheMostFrench posted:

The real Dark Souls starts here. Don't tell the player base about it either, just do it.

I wouldn't care either. With experience, it takes so little time to get a character up and running with most of the equipment. It'd also spawn a ton of people to populate every area as they level up (and I'm assuming because they've beaten the game before, more confident to stay human) to take on the DLC.

And this also ensures nobody is overpowered for the DLC (which would suck)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So now I'm invading in the Archives wielding Toxic Mist, a pierce shield in my right hand, flame in the left, and an egg head.

:darksouls:

Edit: drat, you can't apply CMW to shields in your right hand. But I didn't know there were so many custom moves for shields! I might actually do a dual shield run for fun...

EC fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 26, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbu7rtrixr0

I think I did pretty good for it being the first time I had even seen the boss. Yes, i'm using the Drake Sword. I'll be a man and switch it once I get a better weapon I promise...

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
:sigh: Why does using the TCC also half the number of pyros you have attuned? :(

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

people posted:

Man it'd be nice if every character got wiped!

Buy the PC version now and be a part of that reality on August 24th :unsmith:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

EC posted:

:sigh: Why does using the TCC also half the number of pyros you have attuned? :(

Shouldn't be a big deal unless you rock TCC in right and Pyro Glove in left or something. Also, I dunno, check for a damage boost to the pyro anyway? By the way, the pierce shield has a unique attack? Grrr, be right back..

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Novum posted:

Shouldn't be a big deal unless you rock TCC in right and Pyro Glove in left or something. Also, I dunno, check for a damage boost to the pyro anyway? By the way, the pierce shield has a unique attack? Grrr, be right back..

I'm not sure about unique, but I'd never seen the animations for using a shield in your right hand before.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Chard posted:

Those two in the Catacombs are always there no matter what. To see them anywhere else, I think you have to have the same miracle attuned (selected?). That's the only place I see them in most playthroughs because miracles are garbage.

Bollocks. I've mained Dex, Faith, Strength, and am currently on an Int-focused character, and the Faith run was by far the most powerful. I blasted so many people into the Darkroot Garden river with Force and even without any sort of "PvP optimized" build and light armor (which the game really disfavors) I won pretty much every time an invader showed up.

I would never do this as an invader, but doubleteaming somebody with Tranquil Walk of Peace is pretty much the fastest way I've ever seen to easily kill someone minus the usual teleporting behind them with a weapon they couldn't have at that point. Anytime some red chess piece with the wood grain ring showed up while I was assisting in NG+, we just ran up with my aura active, beat the poo poo out of them, and there wasn't a thing they could do about it. If I didn't have Tranquil Walk I just used Force, because one really great thing about that goddamn flip ring is that it makes those normally-heavy chess pieces fly really far when they get hit by Force and I sent quite a few off cliffs to their deaths using that miracle.

Another great thing about miracles is that lightning spears actually hit things despite the fact that they don't home, whereas something around half my sorceries miss if an enemy is moving at more than a millimeter per second to the side. I have no idea why they changed the source of soul arrows and whatnot to above your head instead of in front of you like in Demon's Souls, because these drat things just fly over anything that isn't more than ten feet away. I have not been impressed with sorcery so far. Homing Soul Mass is good though.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
^^Another difference between sorcery and lightning spears is that you can dodge sorcery by flipping when it hits you, but lightning spears don't care that you can flip into them.

EC posted:

What the gently caress?! I don't have either one of the mist pyros, and I was reasonably sure I collected all of them on this build. gently caress.

:(

Time to go get infected by some eggs...

aren't there two cloud spells you find? One in blighttown, and one in the painted world.

Either way, you should definitely use corrosive cloud just to gently caress with people more than normal.
When I saw someone hiding behind a cloud in the forest, I immediately thought he should have used one of the big area of effect spells while hiding in it.

"Hah, you can't hit me with tha-wait what's that sound?"
*FWOOSH*

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
There's Toxic and Poison, which you get from the Egghead, and Acid Surge which you get from the Painted world.

So far I've managed to use Toxic to screen an enemy and the blast them with CSS once. Otherwise it's been hard to do anything with.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Nasgate posted:

aren't there two cloud spells you find? One in blighttown, and one in the painted world.

Either way, you should definitely use corrosive cloud just to gently caress with people more than normal.
When I saw someone hiding behind a cloud in the forest, I immediately thought he should have used one of the big area of effect spells while hiding in it.

I thought there were three? Poison Mist, Toxic Mist, and Acid Surge. The idea of using a cloud to set up Firestorm/Gravelord Sword Dance is pretty awesome. You could also take something big and swingy like a Great Scythe and just swing through the cloud hoping to connect.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Just started a Miracles run.

I feel like I'll have a LOT of fun with Force.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Wait until Wrath of the Gods. Force with damage.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
So I heard curse doesn't stack anymore, is that true? If so, that completely ruins my challenge run idea (which in all honesty I would probably never actually get around to) of intentionally reducing my max HP to 1 by intentionally cursing myself over and over.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Nasgate posted:

^^Another difference between sorcery and lightning spears is that you can dodge sorcery by flipping when it hits you, but lightning spears don't care that you can flip into them.

I rolled through a lightning spear today. I did it yesterday too. This statement is empirically false.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jsor posted:

So I heard curse doesn't stack anymore, is that true? If so, that completely ruins my challenge run idea (which in all honesty I would probably never actually get around to) of intentionally reducing my max HP to 1 by intentionally cursing myself over and over.

How would you clear the Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants?

Also this is true.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jonjonaug posted:

How would you clear the Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants?

Also this is true.

Fall Control, I would guess.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
As far as using mist to obscure you while you charge a Fire Tempest or something, I've had a lot of luck with the Great Chaos Fireball rather than mists. People tend to push straight through mists (which also take a while to execute leaving you vulnerable to the dreaded backstab) but when they see you queuing up that Fireball they tend to move the hell away from you. Plus all the effects of the explosion and the following lava goops give you plenty of time to charge up the big surprise. Just thought I'd share.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I don't see how that works; if they back off when they see you cue the GCFB, why would they be in range if you immediately cast another pyro that also has limited range?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Fall Control, I would guess.

I'm pretty sure this only reduces fall damage, not eliminate it entirely. It's possible to beat every boss without taking any damage, but I'm not sure if it's possible to get through certain areas without taking any damage.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

I'm pretty sure this only reduces fall damage, not eliminate it entirely. It's possible to beat every boss without taking any damage, but I'm not sure if it's possible to get through certain areas without taking any damage.

The description lies. I've been using it to go through the Great Hollow and most of the falls I take with it do no damage.

Other falls will arbitrarily kill me entirely after I go flying off the side of a branch I should have been able to land on. I can't figure out the drat spell but it's unfortunately made the Great Hollow no less stupid than I hoped it would.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

jonjonaug posted:

Lost Izalith. You cannot get through it without damage, under any circumstance, since I'm pretty sure the lava even with the ring always does something like 3hp a tic. Except for maybe the shortcut, but I've never actually gotten that to even open after paying Quelaag's Sister over 30 humanity.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
So I had my first :darksouls: moment yesterday.

The first part of Blighttown was more or less a cakewalk down. but as soon as I came into the swamp it all just came falling down on me.
First I got invaded and being a stupid noob got killed easily. After that my world got cursed or whatever you call it and then I lose all my humanity and 50000 souls because I was an impatient poo poo. :downsgun:

At least I got the shortcut to firelink open.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
Just got to the Crystal Caves and goddamn can this game be pretty. Also I'm being attacked by giant walking clams :darksouls:?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Helios Grime posted:

So I had my first :darksouls: moment yesterday.

The first part of Blighttown was more or less a cakewalk down. but as soon as I came into the swamp it all just came falling down on me.
First I got invaded and being a stupid noob got killed easily. After that my world got cursed or whatever you call it and then I lose all my humanity and 50000 souls because I was an impatient poo poo. :downsgun:

At least I got the shortcut to firelink open.

You'll look back on those 50k souls and laugh. That's not even enough to fully upgrade something like the Silver Knight Sword.

And Mildred claims yet another victim! :allears:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
^^ I just spent 800k on 100 twinkling titanite. and almost immediately got half of it back. Dark Anor Londo + Red Phantoming=piles of souls.

Shima Honnou posted:

Lost Izalith. You cannot get through it without damage, under any circumstance, since I'm pretty sure the lava even with the ring always does something like 3hp a tic. Except for maybe the shortcut, but I've never actually gotten that to even open after paying Quelaag's Sister over 30 humanity.

The shortcut eliminates lava, but it has a titanite demon on a relatively thin walkway.

The way I think fall control works is that it switches the fall damage down a level or two, so that falls that do little damage would do none. The only exception is deadly falls, they are always deadly.

For the 1 hp challenge run, I'm sure a naked sorcerer with one curse could suffice pretty well.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Shima Honnou posted:

Apparently the trigger isn't just 30 humanity, it's 30 humanity THEN beat a boss (any boss). At least the wiki sez.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
That's worthless, then, unless you really love Solaire. In the time it takes to give her 30 humanity individually and then go find and kill a boss, you could have made it through to Bed of Chaos.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jsor posted:

Apparently the trigger isn't just 30 humanity, it's 30 humanity THEN beat a boss (any boss). At least the wiki sez.

What. I've never heard this before. Why would that even make any sense.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Shima Honnou posted:

You'll look back on those 50k souls and laugh. That's not even enough to fully upgrade something like the Silver Knight Sword.

And Mildred claims yet another victim! :allears:

Oh it wasn't the NPC Black Phantom just a normal invader.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

What. I've never heard this before. Why would that even make any sense.

This is Dark Souls. Nothing has to make sense. :colbert:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Umberger posted:

This is Dark Souls. Nothing has to make sense. :colbert:

I would love it if the game randomly change rules and guidelines to spice things up ever so often.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'm pretty sure that's just more Wiki rear end-talking. It's much more likely that the game just needs you to do one of those "state transition" things, like how you get the gold golem to spawn. Just rest at a bonfire or menu->quit game and everything.

I'm pretty sure that when I did the shortcut that one time I didn't have to kill a boss because I had already killed all of the relevant ones!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just more Wiki rear end-talking. It's much more likely that the game just needs you to do one of those "state transition" things, like how you get the gold golem to spawn. Just rest at a bonfire or menu->quit game and everything.

I'm pretty sure that when I did the shortcut that one time I didn't have to kill a boss because I had already killed all of the relevant ones!

To be fair, the Wiki says that it's not "the trigger" so much as "a workaround to a bug that sometimes occurs where the shortcut won't open."

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jsor posted:

To be fair, the Wiki says that it's not "the trigger" so much as "a workaround to a bug that sometimes occurs where the shortcut won't open."

Now that makes more sense, I gotta say. It seems a lot easier to just quit and reload, but that's just me I guess!

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Jsor posted:

This is what it is, you don't normally need to kill a boss to trigger it.

Helios Grime posted:

I would love it if the game randomly change rules and guidelines to spice things up ever so often.

I've always wanted the mimic chests to be randomly rotated every NG, but the loot would need to be rebalanced I guess.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Read posted:

I've always wanted the mimic chests to be randomly rotated every NG, but the loot would need to be rebalanced I guess.

No need to change what comes out of the chest. Imagine beating Gwyndolin for the third time and opening the empty chest out of spite, only to be mauled to death.

Sounds like :darksouls: to me.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
Man, loving mimics. Is there any way to tell without outside knowledge that that first mimic chest in Sen's fortress is a mimic, or that they even exist at that point? I thought that was complete bullshit when it got me.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Cycloneman posted:

Man, loving mimics. Is there any way to tell without outside knowledge that that first mimic chest in Sen's fortress is a mimic, or that they even exist at that point? I thought that was complete bullshit when it got me.

It's situated at a weird angle to the rest of the room, and looks like it doesn't fit in. That's your clue. Apart from that, all mimics have a chain tail pointing out instead of curved back and will subtly breathe and move if you watch carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Read posted:

It's situated at a weird angle to the rest of the room, and looks like it doesn't fit in. That's your clue. Apart from that, all mimics have a chain tail pointing out instead of curved back and will subtly breathe and move if you watch carefully.

Also, I believe they have a slightly different colored texture, but it's be pretty difficult to notice unless you'd already figured out it was a mimic.

• Locked thread