Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bieeardo posted:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Super Techno Kitten Adventure only needs to raise $94,000 of its $100,000 goal in the next eleven days! I'm sure we can pull it off!
What the hell did I just watch.

:catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Just when I thought I was done with Kickstarter, the guys from Pathologic and The Void start a project? And it's only $5? Oh dear.

At least I know nothing else as crazy will show up and--

:lsd: :lsd:

Oh.

It's $15. Guess that's over my throw money at crazy projects budget. Still hope they make it. The gameplay footage itself is like the most glorious flash game ever made.

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Castle Story, a game I've been following the development of for some time, just submitted to Kickstarter, apparently. Awaiting approval now.

It's live now: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/902505202/castle-story

I helped these guys out a bit with getting things set up, so I'm wishing them all the luck in the world!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Ice-Pick Lodge, makers of Pathologic, the absolutely brilliant The Void, and the utterly bizarre Cargo! The Quest for Gravity, have made a Kickstarter for their next game, Knock-Knock. It's a bizarre, Russian mixture of Lode Runner and the movie Home Alone.

They have a very small goal to reach and I would really love it if we could help get them there. Ice-Pick Lodge are among the most brilliant developers in gaming history, and they could use this help (since I don't think Cargo! sold very well...).
It's good to know Ice Pick Lodge still hasn't left whatever crazy drug trip they've been on since 2002. :)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Bieeardo posted:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Super Techno Kitten Adventure only needs to raise $94,000 of its $100,000 goal in the next eleven days! I'm sure we can pull it off!

(And wow. Basic gameplay for Knock, Knock looks... basic, but I'm still in for twenty. Hope the video is representative of the game, because that is seriously stylish.)

:stare: I didn't know there was a pricetag on insanity.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oddx posted:

It's live now: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/902505202/castle-story

I helped these guys out a bit with getting things set up, so I'm wishing them all the luck in the world!

Indeed! Castle Story is Live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMCWVvuza_s
This is just the trailer to give you an idea of what the game is - watch the video on the Kickstarter page for longer stuff with interviews and etc)

It's already a fifth of the way towards their very modest goals, but hell with it, even after they make it you should go for it anyway. I've been following these guys for a long time in anticipation of what looks like a really fun game, and they're a three-man team that has been plugging away at this for and really seem to know what they're doing. I'm totally comfortable throwing some money their way.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 27, 2012

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

MikeJF posted:

This is just the trailer to give you an idea of what the game is - watch the video on the Kickstarter page for longer stuff with interviews and etc)

It's already a fifth of the way towards their very modest goals, but hell with it, even after they make it you should go for it anyway. I've been following these guys for a long time in anticipation of what looks like a really fun game, and they're a three-man team that has been plugging away at this for and really seem to know what they're doing. I'm totally comfortable throwing some money their way.

Seconding the recommendation. Following their dev blogs has been really interesting and has certainly cemented their dedication to the project in my mind.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

This looks fantastic. It's at prototype level, right? Think this is the first game I'm going to help kickstart.

[edit]
Goddamn, this thing jumped to 61% already. These guys should think of some strech goals.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 27, 2012

Souai
Dec 16, 2007
How did I not see Castle Story before? I love RTS, Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress style games. Hopefully they will be able to inject sufficient depth to make the castle building and exploration a rewarding experience in time.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I'm backing this as it's exactly the kind of game I love to play.

At the current rate they'll have full funding before 24 hours is up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fondue posted:

At the current rate they'll have full funding before 24 hours is up.

At this rate it might be done before six.

Also, their website's crashed, but that's probably not unexpected.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

MikeJF posted:

At this rate it might be done before six.

Also, their website's crashed, but that's probably not unexpected.

What a wonderful concept. I just added my support and it currently has about $2,900 left to reach target.

The developers look like exactly the sort of indie devs that deserve this support and it looks like they're really onto something big with this. Best of luck to them.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
Castle Story sounds awesome and I'm glad so many people agree.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The game looks awesome, although I'm not a fan of the little yellow marshmellow men. \/:)\/

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Well, that has to rank pretty high on the list of most undervalued funding goals. Castle Story got funded in, what, four hours? It seems to be jumping by $1000 every time I reload the page.

Well, good luck to them. :cheers:

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Woah, it's already over $18k past its goal. Wonder if they have anything planned for stretch goals beyond "polish".

Fun fact: when I first made this post, that said $14k. I love the idea of a simpler Dwarf Fortress. Hopefully this can support legacy type games like DF does.

Red Minjo fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 27, 2012

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Azure_Horizon posted:

Ice-Pick Lodge, makers of Pathologic, the absolutely brilliant The Void, and the utterly bizarre Cargo! The Quest for Gravity, have made a Kickstarter for their next game, Knock-Knock. It's a bizarre, Russian mixture of Lode Runner and the movie Home Alone.

Man, I kinda wish that Ice-Pick had made a 2D game before. While their other games have been great, their ambitions never match their resources. It's kind of become their trademark, actually. Knock-Knock already looks like so much more polished than what they've made before, while being just as compelling. So exited about backing this.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 27, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Castle Story sounds amazing and I am backing it ASAP when I get home.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Agreed on castle crasher also gave em 15 bux. Swear kickstarter is not healthy for me. Always something neat you hope to eventually see.

Otakuforlife
Aug 18, 2011

by T. Mascis
I don't visit often and this game may have been mentioned before.
However this game deserves some sweet sweet love. It's an MMO that will
take place in the Shadowrun universe. I would appreciate any help you
guys can give to make this a reality.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964352341/shadowrun-online

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Otakuforlife posted:

I don't visit often and this game may have been mentioned before.
However this game deserves some sweet sweet love. It's an MMO that will
take place in the Shadowrun universe. I would appreciate any help you
guys can give to make this a reality.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964352341/shadowrun-online

Seems more worth it now that you can get the non f2p version. (f2p always ends up being frustrating and way more money then worth to actual enjoy it seems)

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

MikeJF posted:

This looks great and I loved the trailer. I'm very excited for Castle Story and have pledged

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

Man, I kinda wish that Ice-Pick had made a 2D game before. While their other games have been great, their ambitions never match their resources. It's kind of become their trademark, actually. Knock-Knock already looks like so much more polished than what they've made before, while being just as compelling. So exited about backing this.

Really? I thought The Void and Cargo! were both extremely polished and looked very good - The Void in particular looked, and sounded, amazing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's a shame The Void was so impenetrably hard, because I think it's something pretty much everyone who loves games should experience. There is some truly amazing creative vision in that game. I urge everyone who hasn't played it to check out CannibalK9's LP - it's probably the easiest way to be properly introduced to what that game even is.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a shame The Void was so impenetrably hard, because I think it's something pretty much everyone who loves games should experience. There is some truly amazing creative vision in that game. I urge everyone who hasn't played it to check out CannibalK9's LP - it's probably the easiest way to be properly introduced to what that game even is.

There's also a (developer-endorsed) mod that makes the game easier - it doesn't explain any more, but it gives you a lot more leeway for experimentation and mistakes.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Bieeardo posted:

At least there is some justice in the world they couldn't just go MEME CATS LOL and get all the money in the world.

Ice Pick looks great, thanks for the heads up, also backing Castle Story, that looks fun and not stupid like Minecraft. Just building a kick rear end castle, looks great. Can't wait!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ToxicFrog posted:

Really? I thought The Void and Cargo! were both extremely polished and looked very good - The Void in particular looked, and sounded, amazing.

Yeah, The Void is definitely a polished product. Its difficulty and lack of hand-holding are just in its nature.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Did castle story really hit 155,000 in a day? Good lord

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

RentACop posted:

Did castle story really hit 155,000 in a day? Good lord
They really seem to have their act together and demo video was very convincing. I think it's hilarious that kicktraq has them trending to $4.5 million ...

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

fondue posted:

They really seem to have their act together and demo video was very convincing. I think it's hilarious that kicktraq has them trending to $4.5 million ...

Trending is just really simple math, $s gained / number of passed days then totaled by the duration, so for instance this is trending that high because its $155k each day at 30 days. Trending means nothing and should really be ignored.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, there was a fair bit of hype and established community and fans already (*cough*), so a lot of money came in a starting rush. It'll slow down from now on.

Still got a month to go, though. Gotta say I'm wondering what they'll end up doing with whatever insane amount they end up with.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, there was a fair bit of hype and established community and fans already (*cough*), so a lot of money came in a starting rush. It'll slow down from now on.

Still got a month to go, though. Gotta say I'm wondering what they'll end up doing with whatever insane amount they end up with.

Honestly, I hope they just use it to polish their product like crazy and actually release in a reasonable timeframe. These kickstarters with crazy feature creep stretches really don't inspire confidence.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

Trending is just really simple math, $s gained / number of passed days then totaled by the duration, so for instance this is trending that high because its $155k each day at 30 days. Trending means nothing and should really be ignored.

That said, given the data they must have collected by now, it really shouldn't be that hard to come up with a proper “standard evolution of pledges” formula that could give a much more accurate estimate. It would still be simple maths, just not naïve maths.

Sure, it could still turn out to be way off since it doesn't include (or accidentally include and generalise) late-stage developments such as a good media upswing and/or recommendations from people with a lot of reach, but that wouldn't be more off than the current method is.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Azure_Horizon posted:

They have a very small goal to reach and I would really love it if we could help get them there. Ice-Pick Lodge are among the most brilliant developers in gaming history, and they could use this help (since I don't think Cargo! sold very well...).

This is the first time ever I've dropped 50$ on a video game.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Castle Story and Knock-Knock both look fantastic.

It doesn't look like the main kickstarter page for Castle Story says what kind of multiplayer it will have. Does anyone know if it's co-op/competitive/both?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Tippis posted:

That said, given the data they must have collected by now, it really shouldn't be that hard to come up with a proper “standard evolution of pledges” formula that could give a much more accurate estimate. It would still be simple maths, just not naïve maths.
Isn't that what the Prediction (not the "Trending") that pops up after the first few days is? Or did they get rid of that?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cicero posted:

Castle Story and Knock-Knock both look fantastic.

It doesn't look like the main kickstarter page for Castle Story says what kind of multiplayer it will have. Does anyone know if it's co-op/competitive/both?

They said on their forums a few months ago (I think this is the one that's not great at english):

quote:

We haven't confirmed anything regarding the multiplayer except that there will be one. Gameplay between single and multi is very différent so we had to rethink a little our game. The multiplayer mode that is most possible to happen is a versus and coop mode with you and your friend. Versus is simple enough, coop could be a meelee game or a survival of you and your friend against AI monster or other castle.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

buttopticor posted:

Isn't that what the Prediction (not the "Trending") that pops up after the first few days is? Or did they get rid of that?

Pretty sure the only predictor they have is a linear regression, which is a shame because it shouldn't be that much harder to have some sort of logarithmic or polynomial fit that'd work much better for actual predictions.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Francois Kofko posted:

Pretty sure the only predictor they have is a linear regression

That's definitely false, because they have two "predictors". If you go to a page like the kicktraq for Castle Story, you can see four tabs, two of which are labeled "[Exp] Projection" and "[Exp] Trend".

There's not enough data for the "projection" yet for that project, but on something else, like Ouya, clicking the Projection tab shows a different sort of prediction than the "trend" tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Call Now posted:

This is the first time ever I've dropped 50$ on a video game.

Same for me. Crazy Russian developers + MYSTERY PRIZES is exactly the right kind of way to get a lot of money out of me. I really hope they get way more than they ask for, Ice-Pick Lodge are the kind of developers that never quite have the means to pull off their fantastic ideas.