Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I have a local Creature from the Black Lagoon near me that I can never seem to score above 100,000 on but I scored 438,000 on this through my iPhone. Ridiculous.

Yeah, it did feel a little easy on some ramps. The ramp that leads to the whirlpool is usually a little more dificult to get all the way up. Just seems to zoom on past on this. Could be a machine to machine basis kind of thing, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

It's nearly impossible to get a Harem multiball on Tales of the Arabian Nights because of that issue.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I have a local Creature from the Black Lagoon near me that I can never seem to score above 100,000 on but I scored 438,000 on this through my iPhone. Ridiculous.

Yeah, the general consensus is that virtual pinball is always easier then a real table. For example, on Theater of Magic on TPA, I can break the 600M needed for the extra ball almost every game, but on a real ToM table, I was having trouble passing 200M. Similarly, I can pass 200k-300k on Gorgar on TPA, but on a real Gorgar, I could only get around 50k-60k after a few games.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

delfin posted:

Creature shares the same physics issues as many of the other Farsight games -- instead of being easy to pound the center shots and a little more challenging to hit the outside shots, it's reversed. Or at least that's what I've encountered comparing Farsight's to real life MM, Bash, Funhouse and Creatures I've played. Far from insurmountable though.

That's odd, because at least for Creature, I have a tougher time with the left and right orbits than with the left and right ramps. I just played on a real Creature, and while the PA version is much easier, the left ramp is just as easy to continually combo.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Creature just seems like a really easy table in PA. I've only played two games of it so far but the first game I cleared all of the Standard Goals and the second game I did the first, third and fifth Wizard Goal and must have earned at least four extra balls. It's a neat table but honestly the ease is a little off putting.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Yodzilla posted:

the ease is a little off putting

Just wait until they release Space Shuttle.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Glad I'm not the only one that has trouble with the outer lanes on Arabian Nights. I don't think I've ever got the Harem multiball despite a game where I was able to save the princess twice.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The outlanes on Voltaire can suck my balls raw. Especially the one the right. That outlane deflates my game time and time again.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The best thing about Circus Voltaire is how it crashes every time I try to open it.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

It's nearly impossible to get a Harem multiball on Tales of the Arabian Nights because of that issue.

It's not extremely hard if you focus on that on purpose. Don't hit the genie to keep the spelling open and just bombard the left loop. You can hit it from both flippers. From the backhand left it won't go all the way around but it will register a harem letter if you hit it just right. The left flipper shot is actually in some ways preferable for it since the loop exit from the right is a moderate STTM hazard. It's not an easy shot at all but the returns from failed shots there are actually quite a bit safer usually than most returns on the table.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I liked Voltaire at first but I got burnt out when I realized it takes SO long to accomplish anything -- there are a ton of goals to complete and a bunch of long-rear end unskippable animations before I can actually start working on an impressive score. Medieval Madness is great in that regard, you can get multiball in three shots and the 4-ball Madness can get you a shitload of points and it's not tedious at all to set up, it just takes skill.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

I liked Voltaire at first but I got burnt out when I realized it takes SO long to accomplish anything -- there are a ton of goals to complete and a bunch of long-rear end unskippable animations before I can actually start working on an impressive score. Medieval Madness is great in that regard, you can get multiball in three shots and the 4-ball Madness can get you a shitload of points and it's not tedious at all to set up, it just takes skill.

I'm a bit conflicted about MM. On one hand battle for the kingdom is ridiculously hard to even get to and that's where the biggest points are, but on the other there are lesser goals that can rack up a pretty decent score. I managed to get 70M off barnyard multiball the other week. :smug:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I've never had barnyard or battle (gotten trivially close to the latter though, was missing one damsel save or something like that) but I guess I'm talking about achieving personally good scores, not objectively high ones. Within a few minutes of my first ball if I manage to get the extra ball off castle multiball I feel like I've made some great progress towards a Good Game. On Voltaire the first "tricky" thing I try to do is stack the ringmaster fever and highwire multiballs but it feels like it takes comparatively forever to accomplish and isn't even all that rewarding.

Or maybe I'm just playing Voltaire completely wrong? It feels really linear, I pretty much have the exact same score every time I get to Join The Circus and there aren't very many modes to stack or tricks to pull off on the way there.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Zen Pinball 2 for PS3 and Vita is not coming out this month. :( Zen Studios last announced that the game would come out in around July.

A release date is still unknown, but the game is going through the submission process right now.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
So California Extreme happened this weekend and was pretty great. Everyone who said that Voltaire looks terrible without its proper lighting was totally right.

There were also two really great modified machines. One was a pedal-powered Addams family machine that directly tied your flipper power to the pedal speed (<30MPH means you're not going to hit the bookcase) and the other was.. well, this.

http://imgur.com/GjWvJ (might break tables)

(weird formatting by request of a person in my group doing a thing for her blog)

Beelzebozo posted:

A small fan above "the headboard" ? :raise:

Might be a regional thing? The flat surface on top of the backbox.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 31, 2012

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

kind of wish you would have posted that before it happened. I would have loved to go to it :(

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

bucketmouse posted:

and the other was.. well, this.

http://imgur.com/GjWvJ (might break tables)

(weird formatting by request of a person in my group doing a thing for her blog)

A small fan above "the headboard"… ? :raise:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Farsight posted:

Brace for it 360 players - add-on packs 1 and 2 should be released today!

The update for the launch tables is schedule for August 2nd.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

That's odd. On the fan forums people are reporting being able to download the 90Mb Optional Media Update (that adds new lighting to the launch tables, etc.) right now. But evidently nobody is able to get past the 99% mark. And also it's not showing up on the XBLM web page for the title. :iiam:

What a loving trainwreck this whole product has been on Xbox 360. Good grief.

edit:
Update from FarSight's lead developer:

Mike Reitmeyer posted:

We believe the DLC is being propagated today. So at some point today there should be table packs 1 and 2.

The release date for the lauch table fixes is 8/2 at 9am UTC, so we're not sure why it's partially available. I would suggest trying again later, as it's possible it's not fully on the server. It may not work fully till 8/2

Beelzebozo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 31, 2012

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Pack 1 is up (Release date: 5/18/2012, :lol: ) and available to download. No sign of #2 yet.

The achievements associated with the new tables aren't on xbox.com yet, though, so if you earn them right now they won't be synchronized with your online profile. :waycool:

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

ixnay posted:

The achievements associated with the new tables aren't on xbox.com yet, though, so if you earn them right now they won't be synchronized with your online profile. :waycool:

I cannot believe this is still an issue in 2012. Get your poo poo together, Microsoft. For gently caress's sake.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

bucketmouse posted:

So California Extreme happened this weekend and was pretty great. Everyone who said that Voltaire looks terrible without its proper lighting was totally right.

How were the lines? I was thinking about going, but remembered last year after two hours from opening it was virtually impossible to play anything popular.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't understand why buying the packs on one system don't get you a discount on the other system.

I basically stopped buying after Pack 1 on Android because I realized I was going to be spending five bucks per table (Android and Xbox360) and I'm totally unwilling to do that. From now on I'll just be buying them directly on Xbox...apparently very slowly.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Well, I got the billionare shot on my first game of Bride of Pinbot and I'm still getting more extra balls than I can drain. I've lost count already. Cool table, just a shame that I'm getting a big score on a fluke.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I don't understand why buying the packs on one system don't get you a discount on the other system.

I don't understand on what you are basing that expectation. Has that ever happened anywhere in gaming history?

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

purkey posted:

Well, I got the billionare shot on my first game of Bride of Pinbot and I'm still getting more extra balls than I can drain. I've lost count already. Cool table, just a shame that I'm getting a big score on a fluke.

2.25 billion and all goals would have been accomplished if it was possible to do so on a first game. Dang

purkey fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 1, 2012

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Pack two is up!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...a2f47?cid=SLink

(Release date: 5/21/12 :airquote:)

EDIT: I hadn't noticed this in the iPhone version, but a nice detail in Funhouse is that you can hear a little mechanical click whenever Rudy shifts his eye.

Doggles fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 1, 2012

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Um, is it just me, or are the Xbox leaderboards broken now?

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Max22 posted:

Um, is it just me, or are the Xbox leaderboards broken now?

Nope, they're broken for me and my buddy too.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

This is better than watching 100 Rogues try to update. :allears:

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Honestly, I don't care too much about leaderboards and the tables are fun so this doesn't bother me all that much

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Beelzebozo posted:

I don't understand on what you are basing that expectation. Has that ever happened anywhere in gaming history?

If you bought Pinball FX2 you could import all your licenses from Pinball FX1 into it, Dance Central 1 stuff into Dance Central 2, etc.

Mobile to game console content sharing? Not sure but as they become more integrated with each other it will become more of an issue.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you bought Pinball FX2 you could import all your licenses from Pinball FX1 into it, Dance Central 1 stuff into Dance Central 2, etc.

Mobile to game console content sharing? Not sure but as they become more integrated with each other it will become more of an issue.

Pinball FX 1 and 2 were two different games on the same platform and account. Making cross platform discounts or compatibility would be a lot trickier, and the companies in charge of the platforms may object to encouraging business with a competitor over their system.

Also, are the xbox dlc packs actually playable, or are they just listed on the marketplace right now?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ponzicar posted:

Also, are the xbox dlc packs actually playable, or are they just listed on the marketplace right now?

The one that has Medieval Madness in it is definitely playable. I assume that the other one is, too.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Achmed Jones posted:

The one that has Medieval Madness in it is definitely playable. I assume that the other one is, too.

They're both up and working. Not sure about the original tables update though. I was a bit miffed about dropping 10$ on the sets as I already have the Williams Collection, which means I'm basically spending 10$ for 2 tables, but...man...Funhouse and MM look so much better. Funhouse, at least, seems to play a little better and, I was on my first game of MM, getting extra balls I never got in the Williams Collection, so the use of emulation over scripting is also a really welcome addition.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Well gently caress. Update gets stuck at 99% and then it tells me the update isn't available. Way to go Farsight!

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?

Oldstench posted:

Well gently caress. Update gets stuck at 99% and then it tells me the update isn't available. Way to go Farsight!
By some oddity on Microsoft's side, the optional patch won't be downloadable in its entirety until Thursday, 8/2.

My first game of Medieval Madness on the 360 in TPA went way better then any game of it in any form I've played before. Still didn't complete all the castles, but scored something like 83M points. Can't remember what my previous high score was but I know it was a lot lower. I then followed that up on a game of Funhouse where I scored 56M across something like seven balls total, whereas my previous high score on iOS was around ~26M. Totally flubbed my chance on the billion point shot on BoP, and then put up a shitshow of a performance in CV, only bringing down the ringmaster once. Overall, glad I waited for the 360 tables, definitely will continue to do so in the future.

Wardark Grimhams
Mar 8, 2006
Much thanks to the Goon who recommended Pinball Pete's in East Lansing. It was only about an hour drive from my house in Alma. My brother and I took a trip down there last weekend and it was a blast. I sunk about $10 alone into the Attack from Mars table.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

How were the lines? I was thinking about going, but remembered last year after two hours from opening it was virtually impossible to play anything popular.

Mildly annoying but you could consistently hop around from machine to machine not having to wait more than 60 seconds to play something if you weren't picky about getting on a particular machine. Sometimes you'd have kids playing a 4p all by themselves though :mad:

The exception would be the X-men machines projected on monitors, those always had huge lines and I never bothered with them.

I'm still bitter that I had Twilight Zone crash on me with ~350M on Ball 2. I had 2 extra balls even! :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Toady posted:

In addition to the existing tables, there are Harley Davidson and "New Taxi" .csv files in the Mac app bundle of Pinball Arcade. Has Farsight announced either of those tables for a future release?

To follow up on this, Farsight has apparently confirmed in its newsletter that the August tables will be Taxi and Stern's Harley Davidson.