Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

EightBit posted:

Is there a point to killing the ankh guardians?

Yes, Killing bosses unlock things. Also, it's a video game. You kill bosses in video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

MechaBread posted:

Heh. Open the exe in a hex editor. Go to 000E7BE1 and change the A4 to 00. Although, I don't think it'll help much since you still can't change direction midair. Also, you'd just be blatantly cheating at this point. :gamegenie:

Actually, if you hit a wall, you can change directions. Not quite the same, but there you go.

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me

EightBit posted:

Is there a point to killing the ankh guardians?
Some stuff opens only after you've killed certain guardians so you should kill them, if they feel too difficult wait until you got more health and items.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

So is the twin labyrinth's teleporter broken or something? Thankfully I saved there before I teleported away, but it would be really annoying if i had to get back there just to mess around in the area

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
You'll understand later.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So I was talking with the Exclamation-One from NeoGAF and apparently he's got the classic music pack looping properly. It should be uploaded and available shortly.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Underwhelmed posted:

Why would you do that? It's the whole point of the Hell Temple, you might as well just download a 100% save game and save yourself the time.

Hey I know misery loves company and all, but no, I think I'll leave the stockholm syndrome to you good chaps.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Casull posted:

Have you read every tablet yet? One tablet near the first tower makes a funny sound after you've read it. That's part 1 of how to start it; I hope you paid attention to that particular tablet.

The second part is that you've got to ask yourself: Which field in the entire game has a lot of water?

I fear I need a tad more help. I play without sound most of the time, so I've probably missed the sound cue. However, there was a pedestal near the first tower, and next to that a tablet going on about the giants bringing water to the tower, so was that it? The tablet mentioned someone pointing their finger at something, but if I recall correctly, that puzzle isn't related to this. As for Spring in the Sky, the only clues I could find were the mention of the no-longer-working aqueduct, and the attackable seals(?) in the "Goddess' jug of water" -area (Here: http://i.imgur.com/7XKv1.png ). However, I can't reach either of them, so I'm not sure if I'm just totally off here. It feels that I've missed some crucial hint, because there are a lot of potential ways to approach this, but none of them seem to work.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
The bit about the giants is absolutely related to what you are doing. There is something a giant is pointing at that you need to do something with. The seals you are talking about are the right ones, you just need to work out how to reach them.

double spoiler

One entrance to one of the seals is in the Spring in the sky, the other in the Mausoleum

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Antinumeric posted:

The bit about the giants is absolutely related to what you are doing. There is something a giant is pointing at that you need to do something with. The seals you are talking about are the right ones, you just need to work out how to reach them.

double spoiler

One entrance to one of the seals is in the Spring in the sky, the other in the Mausoleum

Thanks! I got the one in the Mausoleum. However, I have no idea where Anunnaki resides, since I assume the way to the second seal is located near something that portrays him/her, due to the "where Anunnaki refuses to look" -line.

EDIT: Found him!

EDIT EDIT: I destroyed the Vimana, but the Plane Model chest didn't open. What gives? Has the puzzle been changed? I feel I'm approaching the whole remake too much from the direction of the original...

Hempuli fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 30, 2012

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Hempuli posted:

Thanks! I got the one in the Mausoleum. However, I have no idea where Anunnaki resides, since I assume the way to the second seal is located near something that portrays him/her, due to the "where Anunnaki refuses to look" -line.

EDIT: Found him!

EDIT EDIT: I destroyed the Vimana, but the Plane Model chest didn't open. What gives? Has the puzzle been changed? I feel I'm approaching the whole remake too much from the direction of the original...

There is just a little more you need to do. Look around the rooms at the top of the rightmost tower for something that has changed. They made this a little different.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Antinumeric posted:

There is just a little more you need to do. Look around the rooms at the top of the rightmost tower for something that has changed. They made this a little different.

I can't believe I missed those. Thanks a bunch, people! Hopefully I don't have to barrage the thread with questions for a while now.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mercury_Storm posted:

Hey I know misery loves company and all, but no, I think I'll leave the stockholm syndrome to you good chaps.

Hey if you don't end the game as a broken a battered shell of your former self, you didn't do it right.

Shlapintogan posted:

So I was talking with the Exclamation-One from NeoGAF and apparently he's got the classic music pack looping properly. It should be uploaded and available shortly.

So did you guys collaborate on this or did you end up doing all that work for nothing :smith:

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 30, 2012

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Underwhelmed posted:

So did you guys collaborate on this or did you end up doing all that work for nothing :smith:

He hasn't got back to me with a download link, but as soon as he does, you guys will be the first to know!

We collaborated on the looping bit. It's how we figured out the whole sample number looping thing that's in pack.dat. He took Nalk's classic pack, made a new banner for it, and made them loop properly. I just did the Arranged soundpack and looped it. Exclamation-One made the banner for the arranged pack as well.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Okay, I've been meandering around for the past few hours with no good idea of where to go. Bosses I've beat: Gate of Guidance snake, Sakit, Ellmac, Bahumut, Viy. I:
  • revealed the ankh in Twin Labyrinths but can't find the jewel
  • can get down to the bottom of Endless Corridor but am having trouble with the boss and gently caress that fourth level
  • am at a loss in Tower of the Goddess and can't get past the bottom of the first tower, despite already "flooding" it (wait a second...wait a second...don't tell me I can walk up the screw-style ramp...)
  • gave up on Gate of Illusion shortly after getting the anchor

I'm getting intimidated by how non-linear the game is getting, but I'll be damned if Gate of Illusion isn't a work of absolutely sadistic genius. Can someone give me a general outline (e.g. "go here to get this so you can do this") of what to do next?

f#a# fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 30, 2012

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Final boss related:

Augh I was NOT expecting to actually have to play the escape sequence this time! And then the game goes and blocks two of the three exits to the surface I can think of! Now I have to beat the Mother again and then see if I can make it to the Tower of the Goddess and see if THAT exit is blocked or not.

This game, I swear. I love to hate it.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

FPzero posted:

Final boss related:

Augh I was NOT expecting to actually have to play the escape sequence this time! And then the game goes and blocks two of the three exits to the surface I can think of! Now I have to beat the Mother again and then see if I can make it to the Tower of the Goddess and see if THAT exit is blocked or not.

Remember those animals you were supposed to save in the escape sequence of Super Metroid? It's something like that.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

f#a# posted:

[*]am at a loss in Tower of the Goddess and can't get past the bottom of the first tower

Just platform your way up like everywhere else.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

FPzero posted:

Final boss related:

I beat the end boss the first time with less than 10hp left, and thought that was it... and um yeah. The same thing happened to me. I made a wrong turn in the endless corridor and couldn't get back through it, so I had to navigate through all the traps I had just rushed past before. Needless to say I ran out of life. The second time, I figured out that I had to go back to the temple of the sun to grab somebody first just in time.

I think there might be multiple exits? I haven't tried any other way yet.

Sloop
Jun 1, 2003

I feel stupid for not figuring this out (final boss question):
After phase 1 of the mother fight, when I pour the medicine on her face, she sucks me in and spits me out on the surface. I can't figure out any way to avoid this, what am I supposed to do to prevent it?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Sloop posted:

I feel stupid for not figuring this out (final boss question):
After phase 1 of the mother fight, when I pour the medicine on her face, she sucks me in and spits me out on the surface. I can't figure out any way to avoid this, what am I supposed to do to prevent it?

Do you have the right medicine?

Alternately, do you have every grail point?

Sloop
Jun 1, 2003

Never mind, I figured it out.

Sloop fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 31, 2012

MechaBread
Dec 17, 2009

Jazzhooves!

f#a# posted:

Okay, I've been meandering around for the past few hours with no good idea of where to go. Bosses I've beat: Gate of Guidance snake, Sakit, Ellmac, Bahumut, Viy. I:
  • revealed the ankh in Twin Labyrinths but can't find the jewel
  • can get down to the bottom of Endless Corridor but am having trouble with the boss and gently caress that fourth level
  • am at a loss in Tower of the Goddess and can't get past the bottom of the first tower, despite already "flooding" it (wait a second...wait a second...don't tell me I can walk up the screw-style ramp...)
  • gave up on Gate of Illusion shortly after getting the anchor

I'm getting intimidated by how non-linear the game is getting, but I'll be damned if Gate of Illusion isn't a work of absolutely sadistic genius. Can someone give me a general outline (e.g. "go here to get this so you can do this") of what to do next?

Not sure if this is your issue in goddess tower but, there are ladders - they just don't look like ladders.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Also, the anchor does exactly what you think it does - it makes you heavier, letting you past the water currents in the room you got it in.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

pumpinglemma posted:

Also, the anchor does exactly what you think it does - it makes you heavier, letting you past the water currents in the room you got it in.

Fun fact: that's not the only way to get through the current.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

MechaBread posted:

Not sure if this is your issue in goddess tower but, there are ladders - they just don't look like ladders.

:negative: Yep, that was it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Well after slamming headfirst into Bahamut for like an hour solid I think I need to take a break. Anyone got any tips on avoiding the Fireballs? The weird motion effects are throwing me for a loop.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I think all you really get for killing Bahamut is a Sacred Orb, right? You should be able to put him off until later if he's giving you trouble.

When I beat him I had the axe and feather, both of which make the fight immeasurably easier. Also I think the silver shield blocks his breath attack.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

pumpinglemma posted:

I think all you really get for killing Bahamut is a Sacred Orb, right? You should be able to put him off until later if he's giving you trouble.

When I beat him I had the axe and feather, both of which make the fight immeasurably easier. Also I think the silver shield blocks his breath attack.

You can get that item without killing that boss, with some clever platforming.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

uPen posted:

Well after slamming headfirst into Bahamut for like an hour solid I think I need to take a break. Anyone got any tips on avoiding the Fireballs? The weird motion effects are throwing me for a loop.

Assuming you have the feather, all you need to do to avoid the fireballs from the back ground is stay in the middle, and when he starts spraying them in your direction, just do as high a double jump as you can. I dodged pretty much all of them like this. Otherwise, the axe and the flares are good choices, just ride the bump up you get when he emerges and hit him a couple times, then stay under the breath attack.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I'm stuck in the Chamber of Birth. I got the pochette key and all, but can't figure out how to reach the woman statue. In the original you just had to attack the right wall of the room before the statue, but this time there's this weird tilted pillar/totem blocking the way. When I walk on the above platform that keeps the tilted pillar from falling over, I can hear a creaking sound and see speckles of dust fall from the platform. Yet no weapon does anything, nor jumping or bringing the elephant enemies onto the platform (or making them jump there). I'm quite sure this puzzle is very simple and I'm just thinking too hard.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Hempuli posted:

I'm stuck in the Chamber of Birth. I got the pochette key and all, but can't figure out how to reach the woman statue. In the original you just had to attack the right wall of the room before the statue, but this time there's this weird tilted pillar/totem blocking the way. When I walk on the above platform that keeps the tilted pillar from falling over, I can hear a creaking sound and see speckles of dust fall from the platform. Yet no weapon does anything, nor jumping or bringing the elephant enemies onto the platform (or making them jump there). I'm quite sure this puzzle is very simple and I'm just thinking too hard.

It is simple. Keep jumping and holding right

Antics
Jul 14, 2007

my thing's sound effects
Man, I finally finished this game and i feel really conflicted about it. The first half up to Bahamut is excellent and the puzzles are pretty well-done and self-contained, but as the game goes on you're increasingly required to do something outside a level before you can progress inside it without the game being clear about this at all. There was more than one time i wandered around for like an hour without any idea what to do. After a while, i just got fed up and looked up most of the solutions from the Chamber of Birth (what an awful area) onward, but it left a really bad taste in my mouth. The puzzles also get really arcane and nonsensical after a while, and seem to require a superhuman memory of every tablet you've ever read. Even in the back half, some parts, particularly the bosses, are fun, but other parts are just really badly designed.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
I'm confused. For sub-bosses this game sure loves to throw some weird ones at you.

Any tips on beating Thunderbird in the Tower of Ruin? Nothing I'm doing seems to be hurting it.

EDIT: Welp, sometimes I just need to think about what I'm doing first. :downs:

The game is tough, some of the puzzles are obsure/impossible, but this is still a drat good remake.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Underwhelmed posted:

Assuming you have the feather, all you need to do to avoid the fireballs from the back ground is stay in the middle, and when he starts spraying them in your direction, just do as high a double jump as you can. I dodged pretty much all of them like this. Otherwise, the axe and the flares are good choices, just ride the bump up you get when he emerges and hit him a couple times, then stay under the breath attack.

Oh holy poo poo I was just trying to dodge them all, this will be a lot easier. Thanks.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Antics posted:

Man, I finally finished this game and i feel really conflicted about it. The first half up to Bahamut is excellent and the puzzles are pretty well-done and self-contained, but as the game goes on you're increasingly required to do something outside a level before you can progress inside it without the game being clear about this at all. There was more than one time i wandered around for like an hour without any idea what to do. After a while, i just got fed up and looked up most of the solutions from the Chamber of Birth (what an awful area) onward, but it left a really bad taste in my mouth. The puzzles also get really arcane and nonsensical after a while, and seem to require a superhuman memory of every tablet you've ever read. Even in the back half, some parts, particularly the bosses, are fun, but other parts are just really badly designed.

You can record the tablets and stuff once you get a certain program in the Temple of the Sun. It's in the shop just below where you found the knife.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just finished the game, finally. I loved the game for the most part, but some of the puzzles were completely stupid, especially the Chamber of Birth and Gate of Illusion puzzles. I saw hints to them, but many never really clicked. Mother was a really easy boss, thankfully, but I think I'll hold off on doing Hell Temple for a while. Also, I really don't see the Mantra section as anything but filler, and annoying filler at that.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Actually, I finally have a problem that I don't need to spoiler!

What's the best way to earn lots of money? I have so many things that I'm able to buy, if I had the coins to do so. I'm looking at the upgraded laptop among a few other things, which means I need 400+ coins to buy it all.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

1) get a Green Fairy, best way is to go to the one in the Spring in the Sky and run in and out until you see the star pattern that means item fairy (I think that one's four stars, two moving clockwise and two counter)

2) Go to the extinction grail point, go one screen up then left at the upper exit

3) smash the four blocks immediately in front of you, get coins, move right a screen, left, repeat until fairy vanishes

Congrats, you're now ~350 richer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

RaspberryCommie posted:

You can record the tablets and stuff once you get a certain program in the Temple of the Sun. It's in the shop just below where you found the knife.

That only lets you record twenty or so, though - I found myself using pen and paper instead. A proper in-game mapping and note-taking facility would make an amazing mod...

• Locked thread