Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

dethkon posted:

I finally bought that Mista Thug Isolation and wow... just I mean, got drat. I feel a M Town binge coming on.

i have at least one song off that album stuck in my head every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

i was lucky enough to cop one of those mista thug isolation cassettes. i haven't put it in a tape deck yet; i'd hate to have to sit through the first track.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Cool Buff Man posted:

Nigga

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I personally found this post to be hilarious as well as a reflection of my own personal feelings.

Sendin a kite out to Cool Buff Man, do your time standing up homie.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

THNDRTHF posted:

I personally found this post to be hilarious as well as a reflection of my own personal feelings.
Why?

Got this Joe Blow Real Recognize Real album today and its really solid(except for the swag-rap diss song):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yzRFdb8ZGQ

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
reminded me of a friend and made me laugh, sorry its funny to me

i read it with a cynical, almost incredulous tone tho

e: also just listened to Lil Ugly Mane for the first time, not sure how to feel since it is well outside of my usual realm but it sounds like a dude on the comeup for sure, I will have to give it time to wrap my mind around it

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 31, 2012

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

THNDRTHF posted:

reminded me of a friend and made me laugh, sorry its funny to me

i read it with a cynical, almost incredulous tone tho

e: also just listened to Lil Ugly Mane for the first time, not sure how to feel since it is well outside of my usual realm but it sounds like a dude on the comeup for sure, I will have to give it time to wrap my mind around it

Honestly, if you listen to Mista Thug Isolation starting at Twistin' and just let it go, there's no way you won't get into it. Twistin', No Slack in my Mackin, Bitch I'm Lugubrious, Lookin' 4 tha Suckin' are all great tracks. But Twistin' and onwards will let you feel the earlier tracks more. I think they're a bit more out there in terms of sound and flow, frankly.

Also, Lupe crying is something I'm gonna be arguing with some friends about for awhile.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
I love BREEZEM OUT too. Reminds me about "Da Summa" in terms of vibe.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Thug Isolation is probably my favorite album of the year, so far atleast, and Ugly mane is my favorite current producer (judging by that album and misc youtube singles). He even sampled Frayser Click, which is kind of a cool homage as his sound reminds me alot of DJ sound at times.

misc ugly mane song thats been stuck in my head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSEl8Toxo7s

In other news, new deltron off that rock the bells album!! Love the beat, dan never fails, but imo del's verse was kind of sub par and I hope the rest of the album is better.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
oh poo poo didn't know he was producing it too!

mad more respect, gonna def get it in rotation, thanks for keepin me current goons

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

THNDRTHF posted:

oh poo poo didn't know he was producing it too!

mad more respect, gonna def get it in rotation, thanks for keepin me current goons

Yeah, he goes by Lil Ugly Mane but produces under Shawn Kemp. He tries to keep a super low profile so I understand. And if you didn't check it earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ713cKuT18

The low-end even on this YouTube cut is INSANE.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Boywhiz88 posted:

He tries to keep a super low profile so I understand.

i feel this more than you know

thanks for the link, hadnt heard it yet

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

speaking of the production, apparently supasortahuman x shawn kemp mixtape came out like a week ago and I didn't know!?!

http://liluglymane.bandcamp.com/album/supasonic

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

THNDRTHF posted:

i feel this more than you know

thanks for the link, hadnt heard it yet

My pleasure. I wish I had an mp3 of Underwater Tank cause that poo poo would be in rotation right now on a CRAZY level.

But I think I do understand. If someone can do something consistently but not try to be in that spotlight, well, it makes me feel that they're more about what they produce or create than its reaction. Basically, they're in it for the art or whatever and not just the attention.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

Profondo Rosso posted:

speaking of the production, apparently supasortahuman x shawn kemp mixtape came out like a week ago and I didn't know!?!

it came out last wednesday. you're not too far behind. lil ugly mane goes for the high pitched voice in one song. i find it somewhat amusing that he never really stuck with one voice for his character.
"tell dem boyz i'ma skeleton"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHMByW5bVro
antwon x lil ugly mane - "underwater"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ713cKuT18
2010, his first rap attempt? "dey about to find your body"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5e-0Gcoh_c

here's a really jazzy old Shawn Kemp beat that even samples Kool Keith,
so I'm sure he knows what's he's doing, musically.
http://shawnkemp.bandcamp.com/track/comb

and, of course, lil ugly mane, screaming his lungs out back in 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz1vIxt-fMM

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Boywhiz88 posted:

My pleasure. I wish I had an mp3 of Underwater Tank cause that poo poo would be in rotation right now on a CRAZY level.

But I think I do understand. If someone can do something consistently but not try to be in that spotlight, well, it makes me feel that they're more about what they produce or create than its reaction. Basically, they're in it for the art or whatever and not just the attention.

Word, you do understand.

Is there a version of the Polo Right track at regular speed anywhere? It's ill but I'm not sippin lean atm and would like to hear it with sober ears.

Y'all are right this poo poo is dope when you listen to it and get in the mode. Sorry it took me so long to get down with it. I've read the name a hundred times but never bothered to youtube it...

e: that underwater tank cut bangs out

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 31, 2012

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011
The one part of Mister Thug Isolation that always gets stuck in my head is the background "okay" that comes after "Bitch, I'm morose and lugubrious".

One reviewer pointed out that track as proof that Lil Ugly Mane was great at making up new slang terms, despite the fact that lugubrious has always been a perfectly cromulent word.

Incorrect Username fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 31, 2012

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

THNDRTHF posted:

Is there a version of the Polo Right track at regular speed anywhere? It's ill but I'm not sippin lean atm and would like to hear it with sober ears.

nah, that's the only version. it starts off sounding screwed but once you get into it it just goes on at a slow groove, and there isn't much chopping or screwed sound going on once it gets going.

Incorrect Username posted:

The one part of Mister Thug Isolation that always gets stuck in my head is the background "okay" that comes after "Bitch, I'm morose and lugubrious".

yeah. he does great with the backing punch in vocals.
the first few times i heard that song, i seriously thought he was saying "i'mma roll set lugubrious", because, well, i had never heard "morose" in a rap song before and hell if he's saying "lugubrios" anything else he says i'll take as part of his vision.

oddly enough, Aesop Rock and Lil Ugly Mane are the only rappers I know that used the word "sequestered" in songs on their albums this year.

cardedagain fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 31, 2012

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Profondo Rosso posted:

Thug Isolation is probably my favorite album of the year, so far atleast, and Ugly mane is my favorite current producer (judging by that album and misc youtube singles). He even sampled Frayser Click, which is kind of a cool homage as his sound reminds me alot of DJ sound at times.

misc ugly mane song thats been stuck in my head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSEl8Toxo7s

In other news, new deltron off that rock the bells album!! Love the beat, dan never fails, but imo del's verse was kind of sub par and I hope the rest of the album is better.

thanks for showing this... lovin this houston screw edit and some spaceghost purp on the side..got my triple 6 fill for the next year. gonna keep on lurking peace

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

snyprmag posted:

Why?

Got this Joe Blow Real Recognize Real album today and its really solid(except for the swag-rap diss song):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yzRFdb8ZGQ

yeah its another great album from dude. just the right mix of depressing morality tales and being fly-as-hell

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Profondo Rosso posted:

Good look on this. This my favorite track so far: http://liluglymane.bandcamp.com/track/ridin-thru-the-hood-ft-dizzy-d (warning, it's slowed and throwed to like five bpm but it's still awesome.)

Except for the interludes. Ugly Mane makes my favorite trippy, jazzy interludes I've heard.

I dunno if I like Supasorta enough to pay for this, but I might throw him a buck for the tape just to support a independent artist.

edit: Looking through dude's bandcamp is incredible. For just $700 dollars, you can download a 16 minute jazz medley of the whole album

"After 3 years in Trinidadian prison, Dale Kruegler returns to the states. Trading in his beloved guitar "Bermuda" for an alto sax, he joins the remaining members of long defunct r&b/soul jazz ensemble "Brown Slippers" to form Dale Kruegler & The Missing Felicitys, for this captivating interpretation of Lil Ugly Mane's "Mista Thug Isolation"."

I'm so glad I finally listened to you guys.

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 31, 2012

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I know I talk about the dude all the time, but drat, D-Sisive's new mixtape, "Asian Elvis" is really, really good.

http://thedesolatecollective.bandcamp.com/album/asian-elvis-the-mixtape

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

dethkon posted:

Supasorta
Supa. From the group Sortahuman.

quote:

16 minute jazz medley of the whole album
it's just weird free jazz with a second half of the track sounding like a haunted house soundtrack/score. really none of it revisits the ugly mane album at all.

new Antwon album streaming at SPIN. new Shawn Kemp production on "Lap Of Luxury"
http://www.spin.com/blogs/first-spi...gn=+spintwitter

cardedagain fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 1, 2012

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaEdQV7_6dE

Anyone got a problem with Chief Keef?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTqyV5Kw9Ss

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Snoop Lion

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

cardedagain posted:

Supa. From the group Sortahuman.

it's just weird free jazz with a second half of the track sounding like a haunted house soundtrack/score. really none of it revisits the ugly mane album at all.

Ya I posted that before I listened to it. Sucks cause it would be cool to actually have a jazz band run through those beats, like those kids did with Odd Future a while back.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

dethkon posted:

Ya I posted that before I listened to it. Sucks cause it would be cool to actually have a jazz band run through those beats, like those kids did with Odd Future a while back.

which reminds me that i need to rip the bandcamp 128k stream of it.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Am I actually somewhat excited for a new Snoop album? Much rather hear this than see him pump out some electro-house-pop drivel with Guetta and Avicii.

Speaking of Diplo, he has a track on the new Jackie Chain mixtape which altogether is not bad. Leans a little on staid commercial southern beats though, versus the original production that gave his earlier work some character.

And out today is God Forgive I Don't, which is pretty much just ok, but 3 Kings got a video treatment today and it's cool to see Max B in there off Jay's little mention. Free Biggavel!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

GET MONEY posted:

3 Kings got a video treatment today
I came a long way since the Police Academy....

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
this A.G. Da Coroner dude who has features on the new Alchemist and most of Meyhem Lauren's poo poo sounds pretty good, does anyone have a bio on him? Is he dropping a tape eventually or something? I can't find poo poo

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
He once told a juggalo on Twitter (lol) that he's got a long overdue EP in the pipes and it's coming pretty soon.

Coal
Jan 15, 2008
I overcompensate for my tiny penis by stealing games worth less than a cheeseburger on a phone worth 400 cheeseburgers.

cryme posted:

Snoop Lion

I can't cosign this. I love some Snoop Dogg but drat if I can't stand reggae :(

Malformed Dance Hut
Sep 7, 2010
i cosign

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Here's a wrapup of (semi) recent stuff I've listened to. Check it out! Or don't! I don't care either way!

Flatbush Zombies "DRUGS"-Not bad, on the whole. I thought the album started off much stronger than it finished, and the dude with the nasty harden-beard kinda weighs down a lot of the tracks imo. Production is good throughout, but rhyming doesn't seem able to keep up the quality level especially on the second half (this will be a running theme). And speaking of them, someone linked a vid with these dudes and ASAP mob which was ok, but some of the related vids were off...

Dirtyy Hendrixx "Abracadabra"-This album is nice and is what I had hoped the flatbush zombies mixtape would sound like. Just better sound overall, more cohesive. Production isn't quite as good though, but overall I think anyone who liked DRUGS would also like this (and I prefer it by quite a bit)

That new Ugly Mane project "Supasonic"-Didn't like this as much as Mista Thug Isolation (which, it's cool to see people finally checking it even though a bunch of dudes been mentioning it constantly this year). The tracks as a whole are just about as good, but there's not as many and I think his rhyming doesn't match up as well with some of the production. Still really solid. And while I'm on it, dude's starting to way outshine SGP. I def dig a lot of SGP's production, but he's just not as good at making songs it seems.

Lil Reese "Don't Like"-This poo poo is lame as hell. It has the same problem that the Keef stuff does (who's all over this as well) in that dude can't rap for poo poo. All the songs are chorus/different-chorus-thinly-disguised-as-rapping/chorus/ and the whole thing would sound better as an instrumental. Production is solid if nothing special, but there's absolutely nothing else there. This album is so bad that it does something I thought was impossible and makes Gibbs sound boring. I give him credit for the title, which I think is very fitting.

Jel and Main Attrakionz cLOUDLIFE-Interesting ep. I've always liked Jel's production and hoped him and Alias would work with more dudes outside of Anticon, so was kinda surprised to see this pairing. I'd say this would be of more interest to dudes who enjoy Main Attrakionz than anticon stuff. Not quite sure if it works though. It's not bad, but not something I'd expect to get a lot of play either.

Alchemist "Russian Roulette"-Album's wild. Production is top notch, and most of the guest appearances are solid. The Danny Brown/Schoolboy Q song has been posted before, but I still think it's worth a mention because you can almost hear Schoolboy Q try to keep up with Danny Brown and stumble a bit at the start of his verse. Just sounds clumsy at first (word to rappers-don't try to keep up with Danny Brown). The 3 tracks at the top by the outdoorsmen are amazing, and probably the highlites (production is just bonkers).

Quelle Chris "2Dirt4TV"-I talked about this dude some earlier, and finally checked out the EP he released this year and was pleased. This seems a bit...rougher, almost has a DJ mix feel to some of the tracks. I have a feelign this will grow on me, although I wish it was longer.

Cashius Green "Sunny Side Up"-Kinda like a more "street"-sounding less smoked-out Curren$y, this tape's pretty good. Nothing amazing outside of maybe a couple songs, but just solid throughout (much like Curren$y). Think he's affiliated with Krit somehow, although this doesn't sound like his stuff at all really.

Serengeti "CAR"-I really enjoyed Noodle Arm Whimsy which had a lot of humor and some clever poo poo. Everything I've heard from Serengeti since has been bad or worse (coincidentally, it's all been stuff since he's been on anticon). This album's just...boring. Was really disappointed, and I'm pretty much just gonna give up on checking for him.

Jay Ant & Iamsu! "Stoopid"-This tape is nice. Kinda like downtempo/minimalist hyphy, production is nuts. Reminds me a bit of a low-key Young L on the production side. Although unlike his solo album (which was really good and could've been amazing with better rapping), the dudes here are much better at rapping.

So that's some resent-ish stuff that is notable. There's also been another Starlito album which was like every other album of his (so if you like him, pick it up), 8 lil b tapes, the Lloyd Banks, and some other random stuff. As for what I've been listening to mostly, the Alchemist, Su Bailey, Abracadabra, Hashtag Jazz (another Metro Zu release), Kool AD, and Aesop have been getting heavy heavy play. I could see the Ugly Mane stepping in some too, just because listening to it more it gets better and better.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday
Wrekonize of ˇMAYDAY! just dropped a freestyle over the Goldie beat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgm5Dqwqg-E

pretty dope, he said he's gonna start doing these every Wednesday.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
SPEAKING OF ROCKY

LMFAO

http://fashionably-early.com/2012/08/01/aap-rocky-pumped-up-kicks-cover/

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

hahahahaahahahahahha

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

alansmithee posted:

Serengeti "CAR"-I really enjoyed Noodle Arm Whimsy which had a lot of humor and some clever poo poo. Everything I've heard from Serengeti since has been bad or worse (coincidentally, it's all been stuff since he's been on anticon). This album's just...boring. Was really disappointed, and I'm pretty much just gonna give up on checking for him.

I really want to like Serengeti, but dude peaked too early with Dennehy.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Domo Genesis released his Alchemist-produced mixtape tonight. Haven't spun it yet but it's got features by Freddie Gibbs, DZA, Action Bronson, SpaceGhostPurrp, Tyler and Earl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

ruddiger posted:

I really want to like Serengeti, but dude peaked too early with Dennehy.

No he peaked way back in '93 with this right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jY5TRfNi7Y

Its a loving anthem.

edit: Can't forget the banned MTV video, poo poo was ill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WTngwJ3EhA

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 2, 2012

• Locked thread