Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

EKDS5k posted:

Maybe that's it, then. I swiped through all the screens and while there are all kinds of other details, no hourly forecasts.

I'm gonna go with Fancy Widgets for a while since it seems to be doing what I want. Thanks guys.

Does the standard Genie widget's hourly forecast not work well enough for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
A few weeks ago there was a (new?) app released which would tell you what changed when your apps got updated. If I remember correctly, it basically just collected all the changelogs into one nice easy screen instead of having to go through each apps page on the Play Store.

Trying to search for this app is impossible.

Anyone remember what it was?

Also, I'm still looking for recommendations on replacing Gentle Alarm with an alarm app that's reliable and has a decent looking interface.

Edit: Yes! Thank you! VVV

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 31, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

A few weeks ago there was a (new?) app released which would tell you what changed when your apps got updated. If I remember correctly, it basically just collected all the changelogs into one nice easy screen instead of having to go through each apps page on the Play Store.

Trying to search for this app is impossible.

Anyone remember what it was?

Also, I'm still looking for recommendations on replacing Gentle Alarm with an alarm app that's reliable and has a decent looking interface.
Changelog Droid

Gentel Alarm has been rock solid for me but I really don't like the look. Usually people who don't use Gentle Alarm like Alarm Extreme but I've never used it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Man, Aldiko is pretty awesome. It's the first tablet app or e-reader I've come across that actually nicely typesets ligatures and the like. (i.e. look at how it displays a double-f, like in "difficult", or an "fi" as in "figure").

I've never used the Kindle app, but the Kobo one definitely doesn't. My Sony Reader didn't either.

It's a small thing, but a nice attention to detail.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
BeWeather is basically the best weather app there is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bellshare.beweatherfree

Beautiful Widgets is good, but BeWeather does everything it does (weather-wise at least)and more, and is better at it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
ROM Toolbox is 40% off today ($3 instead of $5) if anyone's interested.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Frozen-Solid posted:

BeWeather is basically the best weather app there is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bellshare.beweatherfree

Beautiful Widgets is good, but BeWeather does everything it does (weather-wise at least)and more, and is better at it.

Pro is also on sale for $0.99 right now too.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Athenry posted:

YESSS thank you! I've got WeatherBug Elite which is great but BeWeather is just gorgeous.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Athenry posted:

Just don't expect updates for broken stuff or any sort of support.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Just don't expect updates for broken stuff or any sort of support.

LAST UPDATED:
November 4, 2011

Ouch.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

LAST UPDATED:
November 4, 2011

Ouch.
That's for the free version I guess. The paid one has at least been updated this year.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bellshare.beweather

Last updated April 24, 2012

Still though, I don't think they're a bastion of good customer support. I still bought it though.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

LAST UPDATED:
November 4, 2011

Ouch.

Pro was updated in April of this year.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

PREYING MANTITS posted:

That's for the free version I guess. The paid one has at least been updated this year.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bellshare.beweather

Last updated April 24, 2012

Still though, I don't think they're a bastion of good customer support. I still bought it though.
I bought it too and I like it a lot. It's lovely. Hopefully I won't have any problems with it on my G2X.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I really love that app and am using it happily, but there's no analog clock replacement option is there?

In general is there an analog clock widget that will link me to wayk when I click it? And will give some skin options?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a website that tracks what apps are free like there is for iOS?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm sure there's an easier way, but https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/topselling_free?feature=top-free

Or select a category and hit "top free". Or do a search and select "free" on the drop down on the search results page. That's the only way I know to browse free apps.

e: every time I see your avatar that drat song gets stuck in my head again

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

GreenBuckanneer posted:

http://www.appbrain.com/apps/hot/free/

And price drops are here: http://www.appbrain.com/apps/hot/price-drop/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is Pocket Casts really necessary if you only listen to two podcasts (and rarely listen to them at that)? I don't know if it's worth the money for it or not. Is it REALLY that good over the lite version of Beyond Pod?

I don't know if I'll get podcasts later but I do know that I was subscribed to multiple podcasts via iTunes when I had my iPod so I might do that again in the future so I don't know.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Has anyone with a Galaxy Nexus running JB gotten this to work properly? It can't figure out what device I have.

Starrett
Mar 22, 2006

Forum Oddity

hooah posted:

Has anyone with a Galaxy Nexus running JB gotten this to work properly? It can't figure out what device I have.

Sorry I can't speak for the Gnex but on my Nexus 7 running the same OS it works just fine.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is Pocket Casts really necessary if you only listen to two podcasts (and rarely listen to them at that)? I don't know if it's worth the money for it or not. Is it REALLY that good over the lite version of Beyond Pod?

I don't know if I'll get podcasts later but I do know that I was subscribed to multiple podcasts via iTunes when I had my iPod so I might do that again in the future so I don't know.

Personally I can't stand Pocket Casts and it's lack of features, but the lite version of BeyondPod is only a 7 day trial. You should probably try Acast. It's similar to BeyondPod but it's free.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Personally I can't stand Pocket Casts and it's lack of features, but the lite version of BeyondPod is only a 7 day trial. You should probably try Acast. It's similar to BeyondPod but it's free.

What features is pocket casts lacking?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I use SMS Backup & Restore and Call Log Backup & Restore just because every time I've tried to use Titanium to do it it's failed.
Speaking of which, I have to do a one-time transfer of SMSes between two non-rooted devices. Is SMS Backup & Restore my best option for that? SMS Backup + any better?

I don't care about fancy features since it's a one time deal, I'll end up uninstalling the apps when finished. Call logs probably not necessary.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

nexus6 posted:

What features is pocket casts lacking?

Off the top of my head: flexibility with update scheduling (and separate scheduling per podcast), keep x number of episodes / delete after x days, I don't see an option for listening at 2x speed. I'm sure there's more but the first two are the most important to me. Also one of my podcasts just doesn't work with it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Speaking of which, I have to do a one-time transfer of SMSes between two non-rooted devices. Is SMS Backup & Restore my best option for that? SMS Backup + any better?

I don't care about fancy features since it's a one time deal, I'll end up uninstalling the apps when finished. Call logs probably not necessary.
SMS Backup & Restore works fine for this purpose. Simply copy the backup file from the SD card to the new one and run the app. Call logs aren't necessary but having it is nice.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I use Podkicker for the few podcasts I listen to. I generally stream them though so I don't know anything about update frequency.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The same developer has Call Logs Backup and Restore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.CallLogBackupRestore&hl=en

Both worked for me when I transferred phones (non-rooted).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'll give Acast a shot. Thanks!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Does having GPS turned on use data? From what I can gather, the answer is no, but I'm not sure.

I'm going to be out of the country for a week and will have mobile data turned off the whole time ($5 per MB :laugh:), but is it possible to pre-download maps while on WIFI so I can still somewhat navigate (just see where I am on a map, not turn-by-turn directions)? If this is possible, can it be done with Google Maps, or do I have to get a 3rd party app? Any recommendations?

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Athenry posted:

Pro was updated in April of this year.

You'll never guess what app was updated today!

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Cruseydr posted:

I was just about to post that!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cruseydr posted:

I can hardly wait to see if now works!

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
Is it possible to have multiple Facebook accounts on the same device? Hopefully this doesn't get me in trouble but I'm trying to share a premium Spotify account with my wife. Requiring Facebook is bullshit to begin with.

Gnex if it matters.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Logging into the mobile website version of Facebook is like a thousand times better than the Android app, no poo poo. Why not just leave Spotify signed in and she can take that while you use the app/Spotify.

Edit: I wouldn't know the technicalities because I signed up for Spotify on the first day and get to use a Spotify Login instead of Facebook credentials :cool:

Monsieur N
Dec 4, 2004

Fear the monkeys !

Splinter posted:

Does having GPS turned on use data? From what I can gather, the answer is no, but I'm not sure.

I'm going to be out of the country for a week and will have mobile data turned off the whole time ($5 per MB :laugh:), but is it possible to pre-download maps while on WIFI so I can still somewhat navigate (just see where I am on a map, not turn-by-turn directions)? If this is possible, can it be done with Google Maps, or do I have to get a 3rd party app? Any recommendations?

You can, if you go in google maps and press the menu button, you should have an option to select an area and download it. You said you would not need it but, you won't have acess to turn-by turn even if the starting point and destination are whitin the pre-loaded area.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
How can I keep my Google Music backed up on my phone? Everytime I wipe my phone I have to redownload all my music. I thought downloading it would put it on the SD card but it doesnt appear to on my EVO LTE.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Drevoak posted:

How can I keep my Google Music backed up on my phone? Everytime I wipe my phone I have to redownload all my music. I thought downloading it would put it on the SD card but it doesnt appear to on my EVO LTE.
The only way is to actually copy the tracks to the SD card (in /Music if you'd like). Otherwise you'll have to re-download every time you wipe and re-pin what you'd like to be cached.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:

Zero VGS posted:

Logging into the mobile website version of Facebook is like a thousand times better than the Android app, no poo poo. Why not just leave Spotify signed in and she can take that while you use the app/Spotify.

Edit: I wouldn't know the technicalities because I signed up for Spotify on the first day and get to use a Spotify Login instead of Facebook credentials :cool:

Yea, unfortunately I decided to check out Spotify this past week.
Does it work with the mobile site?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

LastInLine posted:

The only way is to actually copy the tracks to the SD card (in /Music if you'd like). Otherwise you'll have to re-download every time you wipe and re-pin what you'd like to be cached.

Will it be able to tell that the cloud copy and local copy are the same thing? My only other concern would be if I copied over my pinned music at one point and then pinned some music later on, I know the file/folder system it uses is not easy to understand so I might copy stuff over and accidently overwrite another folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Is there any way to download an APK that supposedly isn't compatible with your phone when the app is only available in the official Market?

Specifically, I want to get Aircharge on my Skyrocket with CM9 running. Apparently the app works fine on ICS, it's just CM9 throwing off the compatibility check. My co-worker is running it on his stock ICS Skyrocket, so even if I can't download the APK alone, if I could rip it off of his phone that would be fine too.

• Locked thread