Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
NVM, found it in a file elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

s1apnutz
Oct 14, 2007

Fly, Eagles, Fly!
I recently upgraded from Snow Leopard to ML on a 2011 MBP. While I am not 100% positive, I could swear my battery health was up in the 90s (201 cycles) prior to upgrading. After upgrading the battery health went to 45% and in less than a week has gone to 42%. I have not seen any other reports of this online, but could the upgrade have screwed my battery? Is the drastic drop in health over so few cycles endemic of a serious problem that could damage my computer?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

s1apnutz posted:

I recently upgraded from Snow Leopard to ML on a 2011 MBP. While I am not 100% positive, I could swear my battery health was up in the 90s (201 cycles) prior to upgrading. After upgrading the battery health went to 45% and in less than a week has gone to 42%. I have not seen any other reports of this online, but could the upgrade have screwed my battery? Is the drastic drop in health over so few cycles endemic of a serious problem that could damage my computer?

I doubt the upgrade to ML has anything to do with it. If it did actually drop from ~90% to ~45% "overnight" then I'd be surprised if you weren't getting any warnings about the battery. Do you get a "service battery" message when you click on the battery menu item?

I've had two batteries do that to me. First time it was replaced under Applecare (second was out of the warranty period) so if that is an option available to you I'd look into it.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Is the Spotlight icon a bit smaller? It doesn't feel like it extends all the way to the exact corner (if you remove Notifications with Bartender)

s1apnutz
Oct 14, 2007

Fly, Eagles, Fly!

Oneiros posted:

I doubt the upgrade to ML has anything to do with it. If it did actually drop from ~90% to ~45% "overnight" then I'd be surprised if you weren't getting any warnings about the battery. Do you get a "service battery" message when you click on the battery menu item?

I get service battery message now. I am pretty anal retentive about my computer, so I have a hard time believing that I wouldn't have noticed a service battery signal in Snow Leopard. I am mostly curious as to how this may have happened in order to avoid it once I drop a new battery in there. It just bothers me that I got a fifth of the cycles advertised.

s1apnutz fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 2, 2012

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Is the Spotlight icon a bit smaller? It doesn't feel like it extends all the way to the exact corner (if you remove Notifications with Bartender)

Speaking of Bartender, does it screw up the Spotlight display for anyone else?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

s1apnutz posted:

I get service battery message now. I am pretty anal retentive about my computer, so I have a hard time believing that I wouldn't have noticed a service battery signal in Snow Leopard. I am mostly curious as to how this may have happened in order to avoid it once I drop a new battery in there. It just bothers me that I got a fifth of the cycles advertised.

Seconding taking it in for service. I just had my 2010 MBP's battery replaced as it was telling me to "Service Battery" and the employee ran a diagnostic that said the battery had gone bad and they replaced it under AppleCare.

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

In case anyone cares: turning off WebGL in safari 6 fixed the system crashing on http://ats-vs-world.cadillac.com/

I guess it was an issue specific to the MBPr and the graphics drivers.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Anyone else using skiptunes? Honestly, it's the best iTunes remote for the menubar I've used because it doesn't jam a million features I don't use in. I just wish it could be moved with cmd+drag (Open up that functionality to public APIs, Apple :mad:)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Against my advice, my job has decided to purchase a Mac-Mini with osx server on it for a server for our remote location. For their five Windows 7 PCs. It doesn't work for what they wanted it for to but they have it so now it's fallen on me to try to make the best of it.

Is there a way to: get window's machines to log on to open directory like they would in a window's environment with their usernames being managed by one computer. From what I can tell this was killed off in 10.6. If this is possible are there any good tutorials?

And, perhaps most importantly, can these computers back-up a relatively small amount of data to the server automatically (via Window's Backup)? My first thought was to create an exFat partition and share it, but apparently Windows 7 can't access internal exFat partitions created on OSX over a network (I can see them, but can't open them). This was all over google with nobody having a fix. My second thought was just to go to Fat32, but Windows 7 also fails to connect to the drive.

I can connect and write to the HFS+ drives via SMB just fine, and Windows Backup creates some directories in these drives before ultimately failing (from what I understood Windows couldn't write to HFS+ at all without buying some software). But I'm at a loss for what to do.

They're scoffing at getting an external drive now, even though up front I told them that if they should go this route, to get less internal HD space and spend the extra on an external drive (knowing how little they actually use HD space and how simple time machine is and that external exFat drives work ok for me at home over a network).

E: and this is not me hating OSX server by the way, I feel like if I had an office full of macs this would be the easiest server setup ever. And it may come in handy if they ever decide to launch a fleet of ipads like they're considering. I just can't get it to work for this job.

Rick fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 2, 2012

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Rick posted:

Against my advice, my job has decided to purchase a Mac-Mini with osx server on it for a server for our remote location. For their five Windows 7 PCs. It doesn't work for what they wanted it for to but they have it so now it's fallen on me to try to make the best of it.

Is there a way to: get window's machines to log on to open directory like they would in a window's environment with their usernames being managed by one computer. From what I can tell this was killed off in 10.6. If this is possible are there any good tutorials?

And, perhaps most importantly, can these computers back-up a relatively small amount of data to the server automatically (via Window's Backup)? My first thought was to create an exFat partition and share it, but apparently Windows 7 can't access internal exFat partitions created on OSX over a network (I can see them, but can't open them). This was all over google with nobody having a fix. My second thought was just to go to Fat32, but Windows 7 also fails to connect to the drive.

I can connect and write to the HFS+ drives via SMB just fine, and Windows Backup creates some directories in these drives before ultimately failing (from what I understood Windows couldn't write to HFS+ at all without buying some software). But I'm at a loss for what to do.

They're scoffing at getting an external drive now, even though up front I told them that if they should go this route, to get less internal HD space and spend the extra on an external drive (knowing how little they actually use HD space and how simple time machine is and that external exFat drives work ok for me at home over a network).

E: and this is not me hating OSX server by the way, I feel like if I had an office full of macs this would be the easiest server setup ever. And it may come in handy if they ever decide to launch a fleet of ipads like they're considering. I just can't get it to work for this job.

Your partitions are being shared via samba I take it? Why not try sharing over NFS, because samba has always been a little bitch in OS X. You can use the terminal, or NFS Manager which will give you a nice UI.

Hopefully that will help with the backup issue!

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Rick posted:

Against my advice, my job has decided to purchase a Mac-Mini with osx server on it for a server for our remote location. For their five Windows 7 PCs. [...]

OSX Server is barely adequate for servicing OSX machines. Using it for Windows clients only seems bananas. You could always run Bootcamp and chuck some flavour of Windows on it instead. Surely that would be easier than shoehorning Windows clients into using a Mac server?

This article might be of use. I remember reading something about the AD/OD changes in it. http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/the-server-simplified-a-power-users-guide-to-os-x-server/

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can I install Mountain Lion with my lid down? I'd expect to, but it doesn't really seem like it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What's people's favorite ssh session management app? Ideally something like CoRD :)

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

evil_bunnY posted:

What's people's favorite ssh session management app? Ideally something like CoRD :)

Not sure what exactly you're looking for, but can't you just put aliases in your bash profile to create shortcuts?

gohome='ssh user@home.server'

Use keys between the boxes an you won't need to type passwords either.

amishpurple
Jul 21, 2006

I'm not insane, I'm just not user-friendly!

evil_bunnY posted:

screen

ericdude
Feb 15, 2008
Ken Masters' #1 fan
Just started using Safari on a MBA and I have a weird issue. I use a style sheet to zoom 125% and it causes facebook/twitter/pinterest links on blogs to scroll across the screen horizontally every few seconds. It goes away if I stop using the style sheet. Anything I can do to stop this other than not using the style sheet?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Ah if this is what he is looking for then I use screen too.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Experto Crede posted:

Your partitions are being shared via samba I take it? Why not try sharing over NFS, because samba has always been a little bitch in OS X. You can use the terminal, or NFS Manager which will give you a nice UI.

Hopefully that will help with the backup issue!

Thanks I will try this! Yeah I was trying to share via samba.

Granite Octopus posted:

OSX Server is barely adequate for servicing OSX machines. Using it for Windows clients only seems bananas. You could always run Bootcamp and chuck some flavour of Windows on it instead. Surely that would be easier than shoehorning Windows clients into using a Mac server?

This article might be of use. I remember reading something about the AD/OD changes in it. http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/the-server-simplified-a-power-users-guide-to-os-x-server/

Yeah wiping one of the partitions and installing Windows 7 seemed like the next thing to try to me, since at least I'd have a NTFS partition. For the first time I'm missing a disc drive though since I basically have to go to the other side of town now and make a Windows 7 ISO to do that.

Thanks for the link, that's much easier to read than the Apple support documentation.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
I don't really know if this is the right thread, but here goes anyway.
I'm trying to figure out a printing solution for the office I work part-time at that will work better than what they currently have, which is letting each user manually install drivers for the network printers they have. That "solution" leads to users wasting lots of time trying to download the correct printer driver and getting it to work.

I was hoping some kind of print server setup could help solve the issue, but since I don't know much about OS X servers and since Google isn't being very helpful, I'm asking here. Is there a way to set up some kind of OS X print server with the drivers for each of the OS X versions the company runs, like you can do with Windows Server?

I'm looking for a solution where no user ever has to install print drivers manually, it would ideally be handled automatically by the server whenever a user adds a network printer for the first time. If it would be possible to also have the OS serve Windows printer drivers this way that would be great, though I have no idea of whether it is possible or not. It isn't particularly important anyway, as we have about 1 Windows machine for every 50 running OS X.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Is there a plugin or something that does system-wide text substitution for all apps? I'd love to have shortcuts for entering my email adresses (like you can set up in iOS) but OS X's text substitution only works with a few of Apple's own apps, which I hardly use.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

FLX posted:

Is there a plugin or something that does system-wide text substitution for all apps? I'd love to have shortcuts for entering my email adresses (like you can set up in iOS) but OS X's text substitution only works with a few of Apple's own apps, which I hardly use.

TextExpander. It's awesome and I can't believe it isn't in the OP.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Upgrading Boot Camp also upgrades graphics drivers, right? I just now noticed I'm still running 3.2, which means it's been over a year since I've messed with Boot Camp in any capacity. It'd be neat if my game performance issues were just old lovely drivers!

e: Classic example of "Hey idiot try it first", it sure looks like it's installing some!

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 2, 2012

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Diabolik900 posted:

TextExpander. It's awesome and I can't believe it isn't in the OP.

Is that the one to use? I know there used to be several TypeIt4Me, etc, and the variety made me choose none, but now I have to send out congratulatory e-mails, and I just want the boilerplate to appear magic like, when I type 'congrats'.

Also any tip[s for how you use it?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nev posted:

I don't really know if this is the right thread, but here goes anyway.
I'm trying to figure out a printing solution for the office I work part-time at that will work better than what they currently have, which is letting each user manually install drivers for the network printers they have. That "solution" leads to users wasting lots of time trying to download the correct printer driver and getting it to work.

I was hoping some kind of print server setup could help solve the issue, but since I don't know much about OS X servers and since Google isn't being very helpful, I'm asking here. Is there a way to set up some kind of OS X print server with the drivers for each of the OS X versions the company runs, like you can do with Windows Server?

I'm looking for a solution where no user ever has to install print drivers manually, it would ideally be handled automatically by the server whenever a user adds a network printer for the first time. If it would be possible to also have the OS serve Windows printer drivers this way that would be great, though I have no idea of whether it is possible or not. It isn't particularly important anyway, as we have about 1 Windows machine for every 50 running OS X.
This would be kind of a ghetto workaround, but I'm wondering whether Printopia might work. Like add all the printers to the main server Mac, then share them from there through Printopia, which should (theoretically) abstract the drivers from the computers. Instead of printing to however many printer types, they print to Printopia which handles the different printers. It'd also let you do stuff like print to PDF on the server and whatever other little things it does.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Textexpander is really cool and you might get it for free if you work for various giant companies.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mo0 posted:

Upgrading Boot Camp also upgrades graphics drivers, right? I just now noticed I'm still running 3.2, which means it's been over a year since I've messed with Boot Camp in any capacity. It'd be neat if my game performance issues were just old lovely drivers!

e: Classic example of "Hey idiot try it first", it sure looks like it's installing some!

I think Apple still lags behind the manufacturer in driver versions, you could get the latest driver from Nvidia/AMD if you wanted the best performance.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, the manufacturer's utility won't install it. Says I don't have a "proper graphics adapter", and stops the installer. I'm on the iMac mid-2011 with Radeon HD 6770M, if that rings a bell as to how to get the drivers to force install.

The ones that Boot Camp did helped some, but I still shouldn't be having to run Tribes: Ascend on the lowest resolution possible to get a decent framerate. :colbert:

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

Mo0 posted:

Yeah, the manufacturer's utility won't install it. Says I don't have a "proper graphics adapter", and stops the installer. I'm on the iMac mid-2011 with Radeon HD 6770M, if that rings a bell as to how to get the drivers to force install.

The ones that Boot Camp did helped some, but I still shouldn't be having to run Tribes: Ascend on the lowest resolution possible to get a decent framerate. :colbert:

You've got to hunt around to find hacked drivers that bypass the check. I bookmarked this thread last year but it looks like it hasn't been updated in a while. Maybe you can use it as a jumping off point to find a more recent one.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/mobil...-12-2011-a.html

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

s1apnutz posted:

There is a Coconut battery update that fixes some calculation bug, could that be it?

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

timb posted:

Anyone having problems with Messages not syncing up, make sure you're using the same Apple ID for iMessaging on all the devices. I know this sounds obvious, but if you have a separate Apple ID for purchases, that one might be registered on one or more of the devices.

I ended up setting them all to my @me address and it's been working flawlessly for me.

I tried setting the caller ID to my AppleID, but it didn't work reliably. The sync was still flaky.

I shouldn't have to change my caller ID. My iPhone can handle iMessages sent to either my phone number or AppleID, it should work the same way on a Mac.

Honestly, I expected better from Apple.

Also, does Messages actually open when you receive a new iMessage, or was that my imagination? Talk about a lovely default behavior.

Crackpipe fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 3, 2012

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
They are fixing the caller id issue when iOS 6 comes out. It is stupid, for sure, and I expected them to fix it for the ML release. I don't know what they are waiting for, but at least it will get fixed fairly soon.

Messages doesn't open when you get a new message.

Edit: if you get your friends/whoever to delete their old iMessage conversations with you from their messages list, then start new ones using your email instead of your phone number, it'll work better for you. The issue you are having right now is that even though you changed your caller id, many people have preexisting threads going on with you using your phone number.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 3, 2012

eames
May 9, 2009

SuperDuper really saved my bacon today. I upgraded my Server/HTPC to Mountain Lion and the machine unexpectedly rebooted during installation, effectively making the drive useless.

Fortunately, when I set up the machine ages ago, I configured SuperDuper to do a weekly copy to a diskimage on my NAS. I honestly didn’t expect it to work, but it did.

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/

10 times faster, better and more reliable than the mess that is Time Machine, especially over Wi-Fi (which yesterday declared all my old MBA backups as useless).

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

I'm a Mac Hole. Yes... I do like Macs up the ass.
I am part of the ETCE (Ethical Treatment of Consumer Electronics).
Now go shove an apple up your ass... you'll see....
I have been looking for a decent Mac Remote desktop client.

What I want to accomplish: I want to be able to access my work machine from my home computer while keeping the work screen private.

Solutions I have looked into so far.

1. Logme in: log me in has a feature called "blank screen" however, this feature only works with windows clients. the problem with this is that if i'm at home and remoting into my work machine, people can see everything I'm doing on the machine im remoting into.

2. Splash top: Same problem, it works great, except my screen is not blanked out.

I have looked into Apple Remote Desktop, and I know they have a "security screen" feature. However ARD is around 70 dollars, and I was hoping there was a different solution.

I could always set up a SSH connection, but that doesn't allow me to launch the programs on my work machine, that would only allow me to access files.

I have not tried "Back to my Mac" via I cloud yet. I'm concerned about security using Back to My Mac.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, or could suggest a VNC client that had the blank screen security feature.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Gman Drive posted:

I have not tried "Back to my Mac" via I cloud yet. I'm concerned about security using Back to My Mac.
Why? It does exactly what you want and I don't see why it wouldn't be secure.

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why? It does exactly what you want and I don't see why it wouldn't be secure.

Illogically I am a little paranoid using my apple cloud login. I will try it, and report back.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I finally succeeded in my re-submissions for the ML uptodate program for my rMBP I got through Apple's online store. Also, Apple uptodate support never e-mailed me back despite my reference number right in the subject :(

In a resubmission for proof of purchase form, I put in the following (not in separate, repeat requests).

1. Order confirmation form screenshot from the Apple site in PNG
2. Invoice printed out from the Apple-provided PDF converted to PNG
3. Fedex delivery confirmation page screenshot in PNG
4. Order shipping e-mail printed to PDF converted to PNG

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

The Gman Drive posted:

I have been looking for a decent Mac Remote desktop client.

What I want to accomplish: I want to be able to access my work machine from my home computer while keeping the work screen private.

Solutions I have looked into so far.

1. Logme in: log me in has a feature called "blank screen" however, this feature only works with windows clients. the problem with this is that if i'm at home and remoting into my work machine, people can see everything I'm doing on the machine im remoting into.

2. Splash top: Same problem, it works great, except my screen is not blanked out.

I have looked into Apple Remote Desktop, and I know they have a "security screen" feature. However ARD is around 70 dollars, and I was hoping there was a different solution.

I could always set up a SSH connection, but that doesn't allow me to launch the programs on my work machine, that would only allow me to access files.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, or could suggest a VNC client that had the blank screen security feature.

If this is mac only, the built in screen sharing now allows you to use a "Virtual" screen. While in this mode, the remote mac just stays at the lock screen.

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

echobucket posted:

If this is mac only, the built in screen sharing now allows you to use a "Virtual" screen. While in this mode, the remote mac just stays at the lock screen.

I have tried setting this up, and the only way i can get this to work is if i'm logged in as a different user...

For example, If i have USER1 and USER2. I want to access USER1. My mac has to be logged in as USER2, when I try to connect, I can connect as USER1 and access USER1 desktop and the machine stays locked..

However If I am logged in as USER1 and want to access USER1's desktop, If I login the screen does not remain locked(the remote screen)

I don't get the option for a "Virtual" screen either, I get an option saying "Log in as "user2" without interrupting "user1" and view your own desktop"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The option seems to be gone in Mountain Lion's Screen Sharing. :wtc:

I know it was there from Leopard through Lion as an option under View>

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 3, 2012