Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Red_Mage posted:

To be quite honest most of the 2.5d games look terrible as soon as you start messing with the camera, vertex distortion is a bitch. I'd still take it on the grounds that a huge part of the appeal of portal for me was being able to see where I was going.

That's not the problem. The problem is that the "camera" that's on the other end of the portal projecting the image back to the sprite or whatever is being used on the player side wouldn't be moving with the player at all. It'd be pointing straight forward where the player might be coming at the portal from any angle. It just straight up wouldn't work like how Portal lets you actually see what's on the other side as easily as peering through a window.

e: now maybe, maybe the Build engine could accomplish some sort of dynamic portaling if someone were to extend what Blood did with the room over rooms and see-through water. The rules governing those however were that they had to be:

1) on a flat surface, no vertical or sloped portals allowed
2) the shape of the portal had to be a convex polygon
3) portals couldn't see each other and you couldn't look through one at even other unrelated one

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Yodzilla posted:

That's not the problem. The problem is that the "camera" that's on the other end of the portal projecting the image back to the sprite or whatever is being used on the player side wouldn't be moving with the player at all. It'd be pointing straight forward where the player might be coming at the portal from any angle. It just straight up wouldn't work like how Portal lets you actually see what's on the other side as easily as peering through a window.

I get that, like I am sure that with some complicated build engine fuckery you could make a facsimile of a proper look through, I would be happy with just seeing where I am going if coming straight at a portal though.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Seeing as my contribution to this thread is basically "dump custom .wad poo poo into it", I figured I'd share a map for a multi-map project that I've been working on. It's not a goon.wad submission though, in case anybody was thinking otherwise - I've got enough of my maps in that thing already. Anyway, :siren: here it is :siren: and I'm sharing it for the sake of having y'all provide feedback on it. I've only accomodated it for Ultra Violence difficulty so far, so if you like playing on lower difficulty settings then sorry. :(

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ToxicFrog posted:

I remember the Marathon devs talking about the (fantastic) M2 level The Hard Stuff Rules, and saying that "the Hard Stuff" was not the level itself (which is not particularly difficult) but the process of making it (and, perhaps, what they considered drinking after an entire day of the editor crashing). The level is basically a huge, many-leveled tower, so lots of ROR, and for it to look right it needed lots of overlapping vertices as well - they mentioned that to edit a floor, you basically had to slide the rest of the tower out of the way, saving after each step and praying the editor didn't crash too much.

Thankfully, when they switched editors for Infinity (into what eventually became Forge) they had sliders that could hide certain ranges of elevations.

This allowed ROR-based levels to be feasible to make, such as Aye Mak Sicur from Infinity, which is one of my all-time favorite levels to this day:

But it can also be abused, such as in the hideously bad Rubicon level Beg, Borrow and Steal from Rubicon:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

RyokoTK posted:

But it can also be abused, such as in the hideously bad Rubicon level Beg, Borrow and Steal from Rubicon:

Is this the level with the beam turrets in a bunch of the walls and is also harder than chinese algebra? Because if so I think that's the level that made me ragequit Rubicon and never finish it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DoombatINC posted:

Is this the level with the beam turrets in a bunch of the walls and is also harder than chinese algebra? Because if so I think that's the level that made me ragequit Rubicon and never finish it.

No, that would be Core Wars. I do like this level, but the beam turrets are so loving annoying to deal with.

Despite the ROR, the level is only hard to navigate because most of it is dark as poo poo. It doesn't overlap all that much.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

No, that would be Core Wars. I do like this level, but the beam turrets are so loving annoying to deal with.

Despite the ROR, the level is only hard to navigate because most of it is dark as poo poo. It doesn't overlap all that much.
Ah, thanks. On my first playthrough of Rubicon I got to that level and my only save had, like, a quarter red bar of health and I couldn't get past that part. After a dozen tries I was all "Well, I guess I'm never beating Rubicon!"

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DoombatINC posted:

Ah, thanks. On my first playthrough of Rubicon I got to that level and my only save had, like, a quarter red bar of health and I couldn't get past that part. After a dozen tries I was all "Well, I guess I'm never beating Rubicon!"

Rubicon sucks on the harder difficulties because of the large number of enemies that stand perfectly still and gently caress you in the mouth with their hugely powerful weapons. Core Wars sucks because every enemy is either a Pistol Bob or a Maser Bob, but they at least have so little health that all you have to do is find out where they are and zap them with your own Maser before they kill you.

So that's in part why I like it now -- I've played Rubicon enough times that I'm pretty familiar with where most of the enemies are, so I don't have as much trouble, but you can die so goddamned quickly to enemies you have no chance of out-gunning without being goddamned clairvoyant. And there are the beam turrets, which can at least be avoided outright if you know where they are, but there aren't exactly any giveaways. If you can find the yellow recharger and save (north-center, on the bottom floor), you've got the level pretty much solved. It's just tedious.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 2, 2012

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I'm just not that familiar with Rubicon. I wish I was, but I've only run about three games of it and my first run where I got stuck on Core Wars is the furthest in I've gotten. It's level designs are amazing, I love the new weapons and the terminal texts are (to me, at least) very stylistically reminiscent of Marathon 2's mix of info dumps, world fluff and crazy stream-of-consciousness poo poo. I should give it another whack.

Speaking of Total Conversions (oh god it's been over a decade since I've typed those words together) that I've never beaten, how far have you guys gotten into Red? I think I've made it about ten levels before getting all keyboard smashy.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Red sucks. It's so terrible. I've made it about 3/4 through the game -- once -- before realizing it was the worst ever and threw it away.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Welcome back, Rise of the Triad. We missed you.

According to The Verge, the original description was "The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned thanks to @InterceptorEnt and @Apogee Software! See more at RiseOfTheTriad.net"

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It's loving happening.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
OhboyohboyohboyohboyohboyASDFAragsddbh

I'm so excited goddammit take my money already DX

It better be the stupidest, pile of in jokesiest, bosses made from silver paint and cardboardiest, 100 different types of rocketiest, goriest, shoot porridge to make it heal moreiest thing ever.

with remakes of all the original share ware levels, the share ware episode was the best.

And while the original didn't have co-op, I hope it has co-op, like literally just the single player game with other dudes plopped in there with different coloured pants. Just everyone running around in a swarm of drunken rockets gibbing each other and laughing maniacally. Oh and all the awesome game modes the original had

And somewhere, there will be the dopefish.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 2, 2012

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

QwertySanchez posted:

And while the original didn't have co-op, I hope it has co-op, like literally just the single player game with other dudes plopped in there with different coloured pants. Just everyone running around in a swarm of drunken rockets gibbing each other and laughing maniacally. Oh and all the awesome game modes the original had

Make it like Resistance 1 where player 2 can be seen in cutscenes, but nobody awknowledges him. Invisible Black Nathan Hale would be perfect foR ROTT.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Am I the only one who really wanted to like RotT but loving hated its level design?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

According to The Verge, the original description was "The world's most ludicrous shooter has returned thanks to @InterceptorEnt and @Apogee Software! See more at RiseOfTheTriad.net"

A quick google around reveals Interceptor Entertainment were working on a Duke Nukem 3D remake on the Unreal engine, now on hold. They had an official non-commercial license for it, too, which suggests they're basically a really driven modding group.

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em! I'm a whale biologist.
Eyeballs had better fly at the screen when you blow someone up or I'll be sorely disappointed.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

Make it like Resistance 1 where player 2 can be seen in cutscenes, but nobody awknowledges him. Invisible Black Nathan Hale would be perfect foR ROTT.

You could have the player characters play off on this, too. After a few cutscenes player 2 tries waving his hand in front of an NPC's eyes to no effect, and then he just starts doing goofy poo poo throughout the game because nobody acknowledges him.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
what about players 3-16?

Actually I think that would be a bit much, explosions everywhere.

This is probably the only remake that I wouldn't be annoyed by seeing you only able to carry 2 or 3 weapons. I think I could accept the presence of zombies too..But the only chest high cover I want to see is being used by enemies, and you can blow it to smithereens with one of your rocket launchers. Preferably the one with a boxing glove on the end.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The Kins posted:

Bring on the return of DOG MODE.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Garnavis posted:

Eyeballs had better fly at the screen when you blow someone up or I'll be sorely disappointed.

I demand no less that 7 eyeballs per person gibbed!

Holy poo poo, a thought. Excalibat + ragdolling. Scratch that, Excalibat + ragdolling gibs. Flopping EVERYWHERE.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Best news I've heard all week :)

Oh, and Fish Polka better be back.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
If ROTT taught me anything, it's that every person is made from 5+ eyeballs, several buckets of purple blobs, 20+ rib cages and at least 3 hands flipping you off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mc_ERIqyMo

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
You know, I've only played a little bit of the shareware version of RotT, but drat, this is exciting. Quakecon is going to be awesome.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

And a little bit more interesting news - to celebrate Quakecon, that cel-shaded, Doom-engine'd new retro shooter Wrack is half price today. $5.

It's still in development, so you get updates up until launch day.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

The Kins posted:

Wow, this is definitely some cool news.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dominic White posted:

And a little bit more interesting news - to celebrate Quakecon, that cel-shaded, Doom-engine'd new retro shooter Wrack is half price today. $5.

It's still in development, so you get updates up until launch day.

Is this any good then? I've not heard, well, anything about it at all.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Holy poo poo, I'm super excited about this.

Look at all the details here. Those short rear end tables, the floating platforms, the uniforms... I'm ready.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Pretty sure that's a bounce pad. You can see the guy in the background going off one.

e: where did you get that

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Loving this guys blank featureless expression.

"I accept my fate."

Yodzilla posted:

Pretty sure that's a bounce pad. You can see the guy in the background going off one.

http://riseofthetriad.net/web/

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I hope that analog counter on your explosion-gun is for counting how many people you've murdered.

edit: Ha, the features section on the site says you can play the game with SFX & music from the original game.

NovaPolice fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 2, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Good lord this game is exactly how it's supposed to look.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Yodzilla posted:

Ahh, you're right. I could have sworn ROTT had a sprite that looked like a tiny table, similar to what these bounce pads look like.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Yodzilla posted:

Like Wolfenstein 2009?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Like Wolfenstein 2009?

Except not another CoD-clone shooter.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah kinda. The original game was pretty much Wolfenstein in some sort of weird space dungeon so that's appropriate.

Also Wolfenstein 2009 was a good game. :colbert:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

drat, my words exactly. This looks fun.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Convex posted:

drat, my words exactly. This looks fun.

Exactly. Might as well crosspoast the video too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhi-7lj7osI

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

quote:

We heard you like it old school - so now you've got the option to play with all the original ROTT 95 sounds and music or you experience the original soundndtrack completely reforged in the fires of heavy metal! The choice is yours.

With Rise of the Triad you have the freedom to build your own insane levels, create your own maddening mods and share them with everyone using Valve's Steamworks! All you need is a little bit of know-how and plenty of creativity.

I think they got me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It just keeps getting better and better. Holy balls.