Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Glamorama26 posted:

30 for 30 series is tremendous. Run Ricky Run, The Two Escobars and Once Brothers being my favorite entries. It's ALL good stuff though.

I also recommend "The Best That Never Was" for any football fans, college or pro. It reminds me of "Hoop Dreams" but, you know, football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"Catching Hell" is one of my favorites.

itsmalarky
Jul 24, 2012
For anyone marginally interested in travel, mountaineering, rock climbing, or surfing -- 180 South is great.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Fans of odd and strange things might enjoy Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles, which I just watched the other day. Fun and intriguing documentary with just enough uncertainty in its conclusions to stay interesting.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Is The Day of the Jackal worth streaming? It looks pretty nifty.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

Remake or original? Remake is composed of bad Irish accent Richard Gere chasing gay Bruce Willis around for 90 minutes.

EDIT: You're talking about the original because the stupid remake was called The Jackal. Yes it's worth streaming.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

meanolmrcloud posted:

Oh man, I got Day of the Jackal confused with Night of the Hunter, and got excited that they added one of my favorite movies to Netflix.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

meanolmrcloud posted:

CARLOS the jackal Miniseries is way worth watching too!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Some fun stuff added today:
Cannibal! The Musical - Trey Parker and Matt Stone's first movie is hilarious and super low budgets.
God Bless America - This movie is literally a month old--I'm really surprised its on Netflix instant already. Bobcat Goldthwait's latest flick is a good satire of modern pop culture.
High Noon - If you like westerns, this is a must watch.
Superman II - My favorite Superman flick.
Surf Nazis Must Die - Super bad b-movie.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Keyser S0ze posted:

CARLOS the jackal Miniseries is way worth watching too!

Mesrine Parts One and Two is also pretty good, as is Angel of Evil. I find the recklessness (probably embellished for film) of 70s criminals to be fascinating.

Is anyone watching Lights Out? It was cancelled in the first season, but it's not half bad. I count 3 Wire actors so far. Stacy Keach and the protagonist make it watchable for me, the wife on the show is written like a reverse Lady Macbeth.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

Zwabu posted:

Hell yes, the original Helen Mirren "Prime Suspect" is up!

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Prime_Suspect/70157296?trkid=2734348

The numbering of the series seems to be screwed up and incomplete. It's still really good. Helen Mirren :swoon:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Some fun stuff added today:
Cannibal! The Musical - Trey Parker and Matt Stone's first movie is hilarious and super low budgets.
God Bless America - This movie is literally a month old--I'm really surprised its on Netflix instant already. Bobcat Goldthwait's latest flick is a good satire of modern pop culture.

Cannibal! is great and is probably one of the best student films ever made. Watching that, it really comes as no surprise that Trey Parker would go on to write a hit Broadway musical.

Watched God Bless America tonight. I like Bobcat as a writer a lot, dialogue especially, and I appreciate how dark his humor is, but I don't know how to feel about this movie. It's a trashy schlock film critical of America's love for trashy schlock, which is a noble effort, but ultimately feels self-defeating. Is meta-satire a genre?

My favorite part of the movie was when Roxy basically asks Frank if he would gently caress her. I liked it because most writers would just ignore the weird sexual tension and pedophilic undertones, but Bobcat has an entire scene dedicated to them discussing it. I really wish the movie had more scenes like that and less shooting Bill O'Reilly surrogates.

I definitely would say there's enough worthwhile to give it a watch if you're a fan of his other stuff, but it's probably his least intelligent film, and I don't think that I got the same catharsis watching it as he did making it.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 3, 2012

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Interestingly enough, shortly after Criterion announced they'd be doing Heaven's Gate, the movie (the full 3 and a half hour cut) has been added to WI.

It's... not a great movie but I'd kinda recommend giving it a shot. There are some gorgeous visuals, at least. (Isabelle Huppert included.)

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

User-Friendly posted:

Oh man, I got Day of the Jackal confused with Night of the Hunter, and got excited that they added one of my favorite movies to Netflix.

You can get excited on September 1st, they're adding Night of the Hunter on that date.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I already feel that The Deer Hunter is overrated so I'm not really compelled to see his films that are apparently much worse than it. Especially when it's 3 and a half goddamn hours.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
The Hunter has been added. Not sure of the quality but the plot seems interesting.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

matrocious posted:

The numbering of the series seems to be screwed up and incomplete. It's still really good. Helen Mirren :swoon:

Yeah, I don't understand the numbering, but at least they seem to have complete seasons.

The first two available installments are the complete first series/season as far as I can tell. I just finished rewatching this and it's such great television, easily one of the best television dramas/crime shows ever, and really better than 99% of films you'd see at the cinema these days. Hell if they spliced those two together and just ran it in theaters it'd be awesome. I'm so glad it's not one of those things where I just remember it as being really great and get disappointed on a rewatch, it's just as amazing if not more so than I remember.

Pretty cool to see some of the actors early in their career, Ralph Fiennes as the boyfriend of one of the murdered girls being interviewed at the station, and the guy who played Tennison's boyfriend Peter was the brilliant lawyer who flipped his wig in Michael Clayton, and he's drat good in this role too.

For anyone who enjoys intense dark crime dramas, British shows and Helen Mirren, Prime Suspect is an absolute must watch.

Does anyone know whether the story in the American remake series was similar, or did they go with a whole different plot?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I think The Stuff may be my favorite bad movie of all time.

My God, I can't believe it hasn't reached the status of "Troll 2" or "The Room".

Everything the General says is solid gold.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

E the Shaggy posted:

I think The Stuff may be my favorite bad movie of all time.

My God, I can't believe it hasn't reached the status of "Troll 2" or "The Room".

Everything the General says is solid gold.

The Stuff is a good movie, damnit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm not sure if US netflix has it, but UK Netflix has The Thick of It, a political satire written by Armando Iannucci. A lot of it is improvised too, and Peter Capaldi in particular knocks it out of the park consistently. Absolutely razor-sharp comedy.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

VogeGandire posted:

I'm not sure if US netflix has it, but UK Netflix has The Thick of It, a political satire written by Armando Iannucci. A lot of it is improvised too, and Peter Capaldi in particular knocks it out of the park consistently. Absolutely razor-sharp comedy.

I think it's exclusive to just Hulu here.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I definitely would say there's enough worthwhile to give it a watch if you're a fan of his other stuff, but it's probably his least intelligent film, and I don't think that I got the same catharsis watching it as he did making it.

What other stuff has he done? I know he's done Worlds Greatest Dad which was fantastic but I'm not sure what else.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Volume posted:

What other stuff has he done? I know he's done Worlds Greatest Dad which was fantastic but I'm not sure what else.

Windy City Heat is his indisputable masterpiece.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
For everyone that watched Starcrash you should also check out Battle Beyond the Stars. It is essentially the same movie but instead of a chick in skimpy outfits and The Hoff it stars Aaron Neville. Slightly higher budget too.

It is also made by Roger Corman.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Oh god yes The Thick of It is a fantastic program, can't recommend highly enough.

'Don't you dare call me a bully! I am so much worse than that.'

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Volume posted:

He also famously wrote and directed a romantic comedy about a woman who admits to her fiance that she once sucked off her dog.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

mds2 posted:

For everyone that watched Starcrash you should also check out Battle Beyond the Stars. It is essentially the same movie but instead of a chick in skimpy outfits and The Hoff it stars Aaron Neville. Slightly higher budget too.

It is also made by Roger Corman.

Sadly, that was one of the casualties from the August 1st expired movies, along with a bunch of Giallo and Poliziotteschi films that I hadn't gotten around to watching yet.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

zenintrude posted:

Windy City Heat is his indisputable masterpiece.

He won me over with Shakes The Clown in the 90's so I will have to find this.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Sadly, that was one of the casualties from the August 1st expired movies, along with a bunch of Giallo and Poliziotteschi films that I hadn't gotten around to watching yet.

God dammit, that's what's gone from my que, those drat giallos. Pisses me off. Least I got through a couple of them like The Perfume of the Lady in Black and Cat O' Nine Tails.

Oh yeah, anyone got any giallo/giallo like recommendations? I'm in the mood.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Is there any way to see what movies were in your queue when they expired? My queue is suddenly three movies shorter, and I can't figure it out.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I can't remember whether Trainspotting has been on or off Instant Watch most recently, but it's on again right at the moment.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
I'm finding it genuinely difficult to get through Breaking Bad, at least no more than a 2 episodes in a day, so I find myself bouncing between shows which *really* fucks up how Netflix displays its main page.
Sometimes it feels like it changes the main page every time I watch a new episode of something. This would be fine if it doesn't do weird poo poo like suddenly change "Top 10 On Netflix" to suddenly not include Breaking Bad, nor have it listed anywhere on the page so I have to actually search for it.
I'm assuming this lovely design isn't really fixable in any way right? Should I just be setting bookmarks for each tv show I'm bouncing between?

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

Zwabu posted:

I can't remember whether Trainspotting has been on or off Instant Watch most recently, but it's on again right at the moment.

It's a pretty amazing movie in it's own right, but the stand out about it is the soundtrack. It's still my favorite non-orchestral movie soundtrack.

^^ Add it to your Instant Queue?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

WeX Majors posted:

I'm assuming this lovely design isn't really fixable in any way right? Should I just be setting bookmarks for each tv show I'm bouncing between?

I usually just hit Recently Watched. Assuming you don't watch dozens of things inbetween each episode you should find this easier.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

User-Friendly posted:

Is there any way to see what movies were in your queue when they expired? My queue is suddenly three movies shorter, and I can't figure it out.

Don't think there is, http://feedfliks.com/streaming is the easiest way I've found to see what's coming up to be added and what titles were taken down recently.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

User-Friendly posted:

Netflix used to do this back before they split streaming and disks. At the bottom of the instant queue was a list of "this is on your list but not available on instant right now". I wish they would bring that back.

owsley
Feb 23, 2011

WeX Majors posted:

Should I just be setting bookmarks for each tv show I'm bouncing between?

Add them to your instant queue.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

wheatpuppy posted:

Netflix used to do this back before they split streaming and disks. At the bottom of the instant queue was a list of "this is on your list but not available on instant right now". I wish they would bring that back.
I loved that, I'd use it all the time as a sort of wishlist. Whenever I'd hear about a movie or TV show that sounded interesting, I'd just toss it in the Netflix queue, it even sometimes worked for stuff that Netflix didn't have available at all. Also I seem to remember adding stuff to your queue would increase the chances that they'd put it up on streaming at some point, if there was enough interest.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I had an iPad app that showed those movies (it really confused me at first why I had two queues), but a recent update doesn't show them anymore. I think Netflix might have changed their API so that external apps can't show them either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

owsley posted:

Add them to your instant queue.
To take it a step further, then go to the bottom of the queue and send Breaking Bad to the top so you don't have to scroll down, as I think "recently watched" only holds the last three things.

• Locked thread