Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Drugs!

From left to right:
  • PharmaCon "Cavilo" non-prescription painkiller bottle. Not the strongest one can find, but it often does the job. Corresponds to the red and white pills on the right.
  • PharmaCon "Soma" prescription painkiller bottle. This is the hard stuff. Pop one of these, and all your aches go away for 4 hours. Orange pills.
  • Chemico "AquaPur" water purification tablet bottle. You've already seen this one. I changed the company name, since PharmaCon dealt more in prescription-grade medicine, while Chemico was the consumer goods (iodine pills, anti-diarrhea, etc.). Pink pills.
  • PharmaCon "BioBlok" antibiotics. White pills. This already existed in game, but I gave the bottle different art to help make identifying it easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Okay, now I'm excited about this game.

I...don't really know what that says about me. I mean, I was interested enough to follow the thread before, but now I must play, there is no other option. Apparently a realistic post-apocalyptic wound treatment sim is everything I never knew I wanted and more.

That poor little test character though, getting all torn up in the name of science. :ohdear:

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I hope ODing and alcohol poisoning get added as new possible ways to kill yourself.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thompsons posted:

I hope ODing and alcohol poisoning get added as new possible ways to kill yourself.

I imagine they would be. At the very least drinking too much would probably cause things like vomiting (i.e. nutrition loss, ruining your hidden status, etc.), dizziness (not really sure how this would factor in gameplay-wise outside of combat), and the other stuff usually associated with drinking too much.

I think it would be cool if you could end up getting addictions to various drugs too, a-la the Fallout games. It wouldn't be too hard to model I'd think - instead of just a random "You got addicted!" roll which is kind of silly, there could be an internal variable tracking your tolerance buildup to various chemicals - higher tolerance means less impact from smaller quantities of the drug, and longer/more severe withdrawl when you're sober as a result of having to take greater quantities to achieve the effect you want. Addiction behaviour would just develop naturally from that, forcing the player to keep themselves dosed to avoid withdrawl, or find a spot to hole up to fight through it and then stay clean for a while to let their tolerance drop back down.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Zoe posted:

That poor little test character though, getting all torn up in the name of science. :ohdear:

That's nothing. The new test character is barely alive.

Poor guy.

Regarding the ODing/drug tolerance, isn't that system currently already implemented to a degree with sugar/caffeine? I haven't tried it since the very first builds so I'm not too familiar with it but too much soda and gummi bears used to make you addicted to sugar/caffeine I think? Perhaps someone who has tried it recently can comment?

Back to the wound update:

quote:

This is the set of wound locations I'm going to try for now. It's not the most comprehensive, but it covers most of the body. Most wounds can be either bruised, cut, or both. The elbow and knee areas have wounds that can be bruised or fractured, but not cut, representing a fracture in that limb somewhere (not necessarily the elbow or knee). Any wound that is bandaged with clean rags causes them to become dirty within a day or so, requiring new, clean bandages or else risk of increased infection. Splints may break down over time, but shouldn't get infected.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Small news update was posted about how the new wound system means significant internal changes.

quote:

[...]could mean drastically different gameplay and balancing. On the plus side, the simulation of a living body is better represented, with the various systems interacting now more than ever. One good example is if the player wants to heal faster, their best served by holing up someplace, and staying warm, well-hydrated, and well-fed while they rest.

I like how with every patch it's shifting towards "survival simulator". It feels like it's trying to recreate that atmosphere at the beginning of the Stalker games before you become a "one-man army". Which is great.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Xik posted:

Small news update was posted about how the new wound system means significant internal changes.

I like how with every patch it's shifting towards "survival simulator". It feels like it's trying to recreate that atmosphere at the beginning of the Stalker games before you become a "one-man army". Which is great.

Yessss.

I've been messing about with a combat-heavy build (Melee, Strong, Tough, Medic) and I have to say the new combat system is fun. My only quibble is that there's little incentive to play defensively - going balls-for-the-wall with tackling and attacking is generally the way to go.

One little touch I'd appreciate would be a screen at the conclusion of combat showing your enemy's corpse - I feel that would add a little bit of "Oh god, what have I done" when you've literally kicked another human to death for his lighter and gelli bears.

After a rainy night spent fending off multiple bandit and dogman attacks while my starving character desperately searched for food and water I am hooked.

Myoclonic Jerk fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 27, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
The new combat system is a lot of fun. There was a post earlier which I didn't mention but will bring it up now.

quote:

Since the new wound system kills via things like blood loss or septic shock, rather than simple hit point drain, the actual death tends to happen during game turn advancing, rather than immediately from damage. I had to do some reworking of the turn structure to cancel combat correctly if a creature dies.

quote:

In this new system, you could literally tear a creature apart, but no actual "damage" is being done. Pain is being inflicted, and wounds are opening with potentially fatal blood loss rates. The creature simply may bleed out before the next combat turn, if the wounds are severe enough. Or they'll collapse from pain-induced shock.

I think this will help balance the combat a bit more because if you go all "balls-for-the-wall" like you suggest, even if you win the fight you may end the battle with life threatening injuries. So it's leaning back towards combat being more dangerous and will probably make you reconsider going into combat/be overly aggressive unless you have scrounged up enough medical items to take care of yourself afterwards.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Some more information was posted about the direction of the new wound system. It seems it was a little too harsh in an unbelievable/unrealistic way.

quote:

I had to dial pain effects down quite a bit because a handful of slight wounds were causing creatures to go into shock. Realistically, it seems more like creatures should be in pretty dire straits before falling unconscious from pain.

quote:

Bleeding was a similar story. Just a few cuts, and creatures were bleeding out within 2-3 battle turns. It seems pretty unrealistic that a creature with a couple superficial cuts would bleed to death in the time it takes to swing a few punches.

quote:

The goal is for bleeding to be an immediate concern after battle, not "right this second, as the dogman is facing me."

Also, NEO got some pretty positive press coverage from Indie Game Magzine.

On another note, I usually don't post stuff here from BBG's personal dev blog as it's mostly targeted towards other indie game devs and not players but I think this is worth mentioning. He was approached by Desura saying they would be interested in carrying NEO, possibly as part of their Alphafunding thing. He also talks about his desire to ship NEO as a DRM-free standalone client, but obviously needs to sort out how to do it.

Exciting times for Neo Scavenger and Blue Bottle.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
There has been what looks like a relatively large update to the wound system.

I'll try and summarize in as few words as possible:
  • Crippling: Works as expected. An arm can be crippled and you drop whatever is in it, losing it's functionality. Two crippled arms means no crafting. Cripple the legs and they can't get up from off the ground.
  • Internal Bleeding: Penalty for "severe blunt trauma", blood loss that can't be fixed with a bandage. Your own internal healing rate is the only factor in healing this.

An example battle

As you can see in the battle log, the player just smacked the dogman over the head with a crowbar and is now suffering from "Severe Pain".

To show off the updated conditions screen, you can see the player is also in pretty rough shape. He is "Bleeding", has "Minor Pain" and is "Weary". The rag-doll also shows where the player is sore and bleeding.

You may also notice the addition of the little arrows on the status bars. A welcome addition IMO and is probably going to be crucial for trying to manage these new conditions.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wow, this game looks awesome. How much is it again? (Didn't see this in the OP) Might have to give it some thought after payday.

I suddenly want to have to pop a broken Humerus back into place and lash it together using a splint made out of a wrench and large serving spoon. Then drink some whiskey to dull the pain and get back to looting the dead raider who just attacked me. :black101:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wow, this game looks awesome. How much is it again? (Didn't see this in the OP) Might have to give it some thought after payday.

Oh wow, you're right. After all this time I can't believe I didn't have that in the OP. I updated it to include the pricing information. You can get access to the beta, which also acts as a pre-order for the full game for :10bux:.

There are other editions if you want to support the development more if you are so inclined.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
"The Wasteland Just Got a Whole Lot Deadlier" is the heading for the latest news post. It is definitely very apt.

New conditions:
  • Concussion - various penalties due to confusion and pain, plus stunned
  • Pneumonia - immune system hit (which is it's own problem), plus coughing, confusion, and potentially death
  • Cough - good luck hiding
  • Coughing blood - Side effect of major wounds in the torso, which have their own penalties. Makes tracking you easier.
  • Fractured rib - Causes pain.
  • Pulmonary hemorrhage - asphyxiation through severe bleeding in the lungs. Fatal.
  • Cardiac arrest - heart stops beating. Fatal.
  • Severe Brain Trauma - skull smashed in or shredded. Fatal.

quote:

Each of the above is bad enough, but many work in concert, occurring as wounds escalate. For example, moderate and severe wounds in the chest may cause fractured ribs, coughing blood, and an increased chance of pneumonia. Severe trauma to the upper chest may cause cardiac arrest (heart is destroyed by a cut or smash of severe proportions). Pulmonary bleeding happens when the lower chest is severely damaged enough. Brain trauma occurs when the head has been hit hard enough or often enough.

As you would imagine, you don't want this poo poo happening to you.

quote:

Most of the above are untreatable, and if not fatal, must simply be waited out via resting and healing. Pneumonia can be treated by antibiotics and medical kits, and the kit will also help with coughing blood.

If that wasn't deadly enough for you, check out this gem:

quote:

Attacks were taking a long time to reach some of the above thresholds, so I decided to double all weapon damages, and triple damages caused to unconscious targets. Wow, the pacing was a lot more fun.

Oh God.

An example batte:

The player has at the looter with a crowbar for a while, then gets a hit to the looters chest:

The looter starts coughing up blood and then dies to "acute bleeding in the lungs".

This game :allears:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
:frogsiren: New beta build v0.943b :frogsiren:

• New title screen music, courtesy of Josh Culler!
  • Wounds are now on each body part, and are either blunt, cuts, or both.
  • Cuts cause bleeding, which drains the creature's overall blood supply each turn.
  • Cuts also introduce a risk of infection in the wound, which counts against the player's overall immune system.
  • Blunt attacks cause bruising and pain. Severe blunt trauma causes broken bones and bleeding.
  • Blood supply slowly regenerates over time. Slower when the creature is in bad shape, faster when healthy.
  • Immune system restores over time, like blood.
  • Wounds slowly heal, based on player's heal rate.
  • Per-wound infections get worse over time, but as the cut heals, the infection gets weaker.
  • Sleeping and resting in camp increase the rate at which blood, immune system, and wounds heal.
  • All wounds have a pain value, which counts against the creature's overall pain tolerance.
  • Wound pain decreases over time, with the wound's severity.
  • Player's health status page now replaces old "Conditions" page. Shows wounds, conditions.
  • Bleeding wounds can be staunched by dropping rags onto them. Dirty rags may cause infection. Clean rags will get dirty over time.
  • Infected wounds can be cleaned with pure water, whiskey, tannin tea, or water purification pills.
  • Pain can be reduced by drinking whiskey, but being drunk affects the blood, so beware.
  • Broken bones will cripple the creature to various degrees, possibly blocking certain actions.
  • Broken bones can be splinted in much the same way as wounds are bandaged.
  • Non-splinted fractures heal slower, and sometimes re-break.
  • Splinted fractures steadily heal over time.
  • Many vital wound locations (head, chest, stomach) have adverse side effects if severely wounded.
  • The medkit increases the rate of healing in many ways, but will not mend all conditions.
  • Sicknesses like cholera now affect the immune system.
  • Drinking tannin tea or taking antibiotics will help boost the immune system recovery.
  • Creatures in severe enough pain may pass out until the pain subsides.
  • Painkiller pills will help remove pain temporarily.
  • Health screen shows additional data if Medic skill taken.
  • Camp screen now only shows some bars if Hide, Trapping, or Medic skill taken.
  • Title screen now has a date of last update!
  • Ranged attacks are now possible when fallen in battle.
  • Unconscious creatures are easier to hit in battle, and damage to them is higher per hit.
  • Battle moves are now much more costly in terms of fatigue.
  • Message window now broadcasts better battle info for both player and targets.
  • Tough and Frail now affect pain threshold and healing rates for creatures.
  • Metabolism Fast/Slow skills now affect healing rates.
  • Some creatures now have Tough skill.
  • 2x and 3x water boiling should work with mixed water types now.
  • Clothes can be torn into rags.

quote:

Heads up: when I loaded the new copy of the game, it took quite a while the first time. Hung at 35% for close to a minute. Give it some time, and if that doesn't help, try force-reloading the page (shift+F5 or ctrl+F5 on most browsers).

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Word to the wise: if you get a cut anywhere, whether it's just from combat or searching a collapsed building, fuckin wrap it with rags like asap. I got a single gash and figured "oh it shouldn't be too bad" only to nearly bleed out over the course of several days until I wrapped a dirty bandage over it.

Edit: Wow blood supply takes like fuckin forever to regenerate, even with clean bandages and sleeping with a nice comfy campsite.

PPS: Am I missing something with wound treatmeant? Like to treat a cut do I have to put more than just a bandage on, because it feels like these cuts just refuse to go away.

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 3, 2012

joff_b
Aug 5, 2011
I've been following the thread for a while and with all this wound system business I decided to drop :10bux: on it today. I'm just getting the hang of it but it seems neat as hell. Managed to kill a looter with a meat cleaver then promptly died of blood loss, but not before getting a gross wound message screenshot:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Those drat looters stop me from looting stuff! :argh:

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Personally I'm quite partial to the crowbar, because nothing says "beatdown" like a crowbar beatdown :black101:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
All right I think I've held out long enough, it's payday so I'm definitely getting this as soon as I get home tonight.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Just had a strange bug where I couldn't end my turn, it would just do the hour glass and not give me more moves. The only thing I could do was sleep, so I did that and I just kept sleeping. I slept through multiple day and night cycles until I died of dehydration.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Xik posted:

Just had a strange bug where I couldn't end my turn, it would just do the hour glass and not give me more moves. The only thing I could do was sleep, so I did that and I just kept sleeping. I slept through multiple day and night cycles until I died of dehydration.

I've encountered that once or twice in the past. The trick seems to be escaping to the game menu, saving/quitting, and loading the game again. It usually takes a moment for the exit to register, but it works.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Either the dehydration needs to be slowed or more water spawned. I'm spending every waking moment desperately not trying to die of thirst. It's constantly raining for gently caress's sake, where are the rivers and streams?

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

If you take botany you can use it to help scavenge stuff from forests, which combined with nightvision goggles makes it super-easy to get a bunch of water and mushrooms.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

The new wound system is very satisfying.

Especially when you can punch a looter so hard they start coughing blood. :unsmigghh:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Angry Diplomat posted:

I've encountered that once or twice in the past. The trick seems to be escaping to the game menu, saving/quitting, and loading the game again. It usually takes a moment for the exit to register, but it works.

Thanks, wish I had thought of doing that.

GruntyThrst posted:

Either the dehydration needs to be slowed or more water spawned. I'm spending every waking moment desperately not trying to die of thirst. It's constantly raining for gently caress's sake, where are the rivers and streams?

Dehydration never becomes a problem for me (unless it bugs out :smith:), are you making sure you are only drinking purified water and not the normal grubby crap? Also, if you are really having trouble take the "Metabolism" perk at the beginning, you'll require less food and water.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Bet you guys don't know how to craft rivers and trees into raw materials. :smug:

(I think I broke it :ssh:)

Anyways that one game must have been hosed, been having much better luck with water in subsequent games. Also the save is buggy, looks like whatever conditions you have when you save are permanent, so if you save while overburdened for instance, you can never move again. For real fun, save while bleeding heavily and see how long you can survive!

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

I actually only just discovered that; sometimes you'll come across a receipt that tells you how to loot forest/marsh/river tiles, which means a guaranteed source of water and branches/twigs without having to scavenge anything. Just being able to find water without having to risk getting ganked by looters is a godsend.

edit: yeah as it turns out you can loot them without needing the recipe, the receipts just make you more aware of them

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 4, 2012

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Turns out that crafting those hexes into materials is a new feature.

:frogsiren: New Beta Build v0.944b :frogsiren:

quote:

From left to right, they are trees, river, marsh, and lake. When you find a hex with one or more of these terrain resources, you can use it to get the corresponding resource. Trees give branches and twigs, and the watering holes give water.

Some bug fixes too:

• Changed scavenge encounter so that it doesn't identify the creature attracted (if any). Player must start battle to see creature, visibility permitting.
  • Fixed bug which was causing NPCs to destroy their .308 rifles in battle (was deleting instead of reloading the rifle).
  • Reduced tripping chances for non-running moves a lot, running moves are reduced a little too. Battles should play less like a Keystone Kops flick now.
  • Fixed tough/frail skills so they don't cause a drop in pain stat bar when taken.
  • Added bonus to scare AI if player has strong/tough/athletic/melee, reverse if frail/feeble.
  • Fixed text in stat bar rollovers.

Also, BBG wrote up a post in reply to someone mentioning there was too much combat now. SO if you are looking for tips to avoid it, give it a read.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
So how big is the game world in this game's current state? It's hard to tell in the screenshots. I love the idea of this game and will probably be jumping in sooner or later.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Overwined posted:

So how big is the game world in this game's current state? It's hard to tell in the screenshots. I love the idea of this game and will probably be jumping in sooner or later.

It's pretty darn big, but that isn't really all that significant since one forest/ruined city/abandoned village is more or less the same as another. There's really no reason to venture incredibly far afield; you can pretty much just meander around in between the handful of storyline-related sites that are already in the game, and still experience everything that's currently implemented. That said, "everything that's currently implemented" is quite cool and in-depth, and the storyline sites are spaced far enough apart to give you a really good wasteland survival/difficult journey kind of feel.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Another small build:

• Fixed a bug that caused terrain resources (rivers, lakes, trees) to pile up in hexes after many save/loads.
  • Fixed a bug that caused skills and traits to be double-applied when game is loaded from a save.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's pretty darn big, but that isn't really all that significant since one forest/ruined city/abandoned village is more or less the same as another. There's really no reason to venture incredibly far afield; you can pretty much just meander around in between the handful of storyline-related sites that are already in the game, and still experience everything that's currently implemented. That said, "everything that's currently implemented" is quite cool and in-depth, and the storyline sites are spaced far enough apart to give you a really good wasteland survival/difficult journey kind of feel.

The layout of the hexes themselves is randomly generated anyway, save for a few key areas, so the world "size" is effectively infinite since starting a new game gives you entirely new tiles.

I love the new combat and wound system, it's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for, and such an improvement over the old damage model. One thing the conditions screen could use is tooltips when you mouse over injuries to make it a bit clearer what you're looking at (it's not too difficult to read right now but it seems like something that would be fairly simple to implement).

Also there seems to be a weird bug in combat where if you attack an unconscious creature, sometimes time won't advance (so you just keep clicking confirm over and over and it does the "Player attacks creature... and hits! Creature: zzz" without actually causing anything to happen). You can still get things to happen if you choose an action besides attacking or just do nothing at all.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

BBG, this game is amazing, and gets even better as you keep working on it. Best beta purchase I've made in a while.

Is it just me, or is Punch far, FAR more effective at killing than a crowbar? Also, I can't really see a difference between melee and no melee; both result in PLAYER ATTACKS... AND MISSES! x5142 followed by a PLAYER ATTACKS... AND SMACKS THE LOOTER'S LEFT ARM! LOOTER RETREATS. Then I repeat this forever. Yet, with punches, I seem to kill faster, with a mere 2500 misses between hits.

Hyperbole, but really, combat is a string of misses for me, every game. I've gotten guns more often though, and even without ranged they seem to be reliable to hit people.

In general, do people move towards Hatter/the dome or just explore off the bat or what?

Also, wow, tackling and then kicking while they're down works great. I didn't have kick before, weird.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 5, 2012

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

S.T.C.A. posted:

Is it just me, or is Punch far, FAR more effective at killing than a crowbar? Also, I can't really see a difference between melee and no melee; both result in PLAYER ATTACKS... AND MISSES! x5142 followed by a PLAYER ATTACKS... AND SMACKS THE LOOTER'S LEFT ARM! LOOTER RETREATS. Then I repeat this forever. Yet, with punches, I seem to kill faster, with a mere 2500 misses between hits.

Hyperbole, but really, combat seems terrible right now. I've gotten guns more often though, and even without ranged they seem to be reliable to hit people.

In general, do people move towards Hatter/the dome or just explore off the bat or what?

I haven't had any problems like that with the melee, have you tried tackling them to the ground?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I tend not to have too much trouble hitting enemies. The last time I took the melee skill I actually did really well just using basic stuff like a cooking pot or wrench, actually having several fights where I seriously injured the enemy without taking any hits myself.

As for what I like to do in the beginning, usually it's attempting to secure basics supplies like the stuff needed to make a campfire and purify water, possibly a decent weapon (though that comes down more to luck than anything else), before heading off to the glow.

What are some things that people would like to see in the game in the more distant future?

One thing I've been thinking about is how the start screen has "Basic Human" listed for the first four skill slots, which got me thinking about mutations from games like ADOM or Crawl, or Caves of Qud. I don't think the game should have race selection or anything, but maybe there could be the possibility of picking up mutations during play (which could be either beneficial or harmful, but are totally random) by being exposed to radiation or something. It would be a bit of a fine line because you'd need to get enough exposure to radiation to get dosed but not enough that you'd just die from it (maybe chronic exposure would be more likely to mutate you than sudden intense exposure). If you wanted to avoid mutating you could wear appropriate hazmat suits when entering highly contaminated areas, and if you are exposed to quickly flush your system with various anti-radiation drugs (which would probably have a bunch of temporary nasty side effects while they're working, like vomiting or increased food/water consumption, since purging your system is not a gentle process).

Basically, the general idea would be that mutations, once acquired, would be like extra skills/disabilities that couldn't be acquired any other way, and like existing skills might even open up unique interactions with things depending on their effect.

Some other minor ideas I've had:
-Medkits should, instead of just being basic consumable items, be containers that spawn decently stocked with various useful medical supplies like clean bandages, different kinds of pills, etc. The current nanokit effect could still exist in the form of an autoinjector (which would also have a chance of spawning in a new medkit). The idea would be that finding a medkit would give you a nice supply base for dealing with sickness/injuries, but they'd also be pretty rare so you wouldn't be able to rely on them for the whole game.
-It's kind of silly, but it would be awesome/hilarious if you could amputate your own limbs if they get badly infected, a-la Robinson's Requiem. Obviously this would be a big deal and give you a pretty significant penalty (maybe one that could be slightly compensated for if you had say, crutches, which you could equip as a "vehicle" if you were short a leg), but it's just one of those things that would make the game more interesting by virtue of being available, even if in practice nobody would ever use it.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 5, 2012

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I hate to double post but my last post was a while ago so I don't want to just keep tacking on more edits. I just ran into a rather amusing bug:

I can only assume it's a bug, since I was only mildly injured at worst (a few bruises and cuts, the latter of which were bandaged with clean rags), and hadn't eaten/drank anything poisonous or contaminated that I recall. Even if I did, I didn't have any symptoms leading up to pooping myself to death. It was just "End turn -> Death by Diarrhea"

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I hate to double post but my last post was a while ago so I don't want to just keep tacking on more edits. I just ran into a rather amusing bug:

I can only assume it's a bug, since I was only mildly injured at worst (a few bruises and cuts, the latter of which were bandaged with clean rags), and hadn't eaten/drank anything poisonous or contaminated that I recall. Even if I did, I didn't have any symptoms leading up to pooping myself to death. It was just "End turn -> Death by Diarrhea"

I've had this happen more than once. Every time I've blamed me accidentally drinking unpurified water, which is something that is way too easy to do in the current UI.

I assume eventually it will be a condition that you have to treat rather than a "you have died" screen, but yeah, for now it's a bit annoying.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

The Cheshire Cat posted:

-Medkits should, instead of just being basic consumable items, be containers that spawn decently stocked with various useful medical supplies like clean bandages, different kinds of pills, etc. The current nanokit effect could still exist in the form of an autoinjector (which would also have a chance of spawning in a new medkit). The idea would be that finding a medkit would give you a nice supply base for dealing with sickness/injuries, but they'd also be pretty rare so you wouldn't be able to rely on them for the whole game.

Seconding this one, I really like it. It would make more sense as part of a realistic wound treatment system than just as a magical consumable that makes you feel better.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Ahaha holy gently caress I'm in pain over here. I just imagine some hardass wasteland wanderer getting a severe case of the shits, throwing his hands up in anguish, and saying, "welp, that's it. That's my limit. I can deal with getting shot, stabbed, clawed, dehydrated, starved and irradiated, but diarrhea? gently caress this." And then he just goes and makes some squirrel snares and lives as a bitter uncontrollably making GBS threads hermit in a whiskey-filled hobo palace for the rest of his life.

vvv Whiskey is the best painkiller anyway. Disinfect a cut with whiskey, drink some whiskey to manage the pain, drink water to manage the dehydration, drink whiskey to manage the hangover, drink water to manage the dehydration, and so forth. Drunkenly beat a dogman to death with a crowbar. Goto 1. vvv

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Has anybody found any aspirin or codeine at all? Like I've occasionally found whiskey but no painkillers.

• Locked thread