Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

penguinmambo posted:

I wonder if that's why she gets to be a more well rounded character.

I'm impressed, nobody made the obvious joke here. :v:

E: Oh hey new page. While I like optional content in my games, being permanently locked out of content like characters or locations I'm never a huge fan of.

Yeah, imagine my face when I reached the final disc of VIII.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kanfy posted:

I'm impressed, nobody made the obvious joke here.

Because it would be in bad taste?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The Sharmat posted:

Tifa's supposed to be a tomboy? I thought that was just more mis-recollection and EU style fanon. She's the tomboy because Aeris is a white mage wearing pink and so must have been a demure princess.

She's not; you're totally right. If anything, Tifa was the demure princess and Aeris was the slutty tomboy.

I think the consensus was that since Tifa ends up as possibly the only female left in the group her characterization is worn down over time.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Brainamp posted:

Because it would be in bad taste?

When has that ever stopped the internet?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
More specifically, this particular part of the internet. All pretensions aside, we're a short step above 4chan.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Oh it's through conscious choice. Lost Number gives 2000 EXP, you see.
So, here's something that bugs me. The reason boss fights stopped giving you EXP past VII was presumably because of people doing challenges like this, right?

Why not just have a button that lets you reject EXP, in the same way you can say no to taking items post-battle?

...I just worked really hard to beat that boss, and I want some goddamn level-ups for it, FFIX and XII! (VIII is fine.)

[EDIT: removed X 'cause Phelddagrif reminded me there isn't really any levelling up in that.]

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 4, 2012

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

VagueRant posted:

So, here's something that bugs me. The reason boss fights stopped giving you EXP past VII was presumably because of people doing challenges like this, right?

Why not just have a button that lets you reject EXP, in the same way you can say no to taking items post-battle?

...I just worked really hard to beat that boss, and I want some goddamn level-ups for it, FFIX, X and XII! (VIII is fine.)

It doesn't seem that Square really cottoned on to people doing challenge runs until FFX onward. Bosses in X give experience, but you have to manually level up. In XII there's an accessory that prevents you from getting XP (I think it's available right from the start in the International edition).

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Having a "Low-level Game" option that make characters not level up would be a neat feature for a game to have as an unlockable. Might lose some of the absurd number crunching appeal, though.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Hokuto posted:

You say that, but CC was the first game I know of to introduce a frameskip functionality that gets unlocked after one clear. If any game offers a valid incentive for replays between that and all the different plot paths, it's this game.

If the game weren't explicitly designed to punish anyone with foreknowledge of its quests this might be true.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

OFS, just wanted you to know your LLG owns. I've been using it as a guide myself, just yesterday got past Materia Keeper and Palmer. I'll admit, it's not as challenging as I thought it would be, it's basically grinding for items and gil instead of levels. But it is fun, I needed a new way to play FF7. Not looking forward to preparing for the Temple of the Ancients. :smithicide:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

bradzilla posted:

OFS, just wanted you to know your LLG owns. I've been using it as a guide myself, just yesterday got past Materia Keeper and Palmer. I'll admit, it's not as challenging as I thought it would be, it's basically grinding for items and gil instead of levels. But it is fun, I needed a new way to play FF7. Not looking forward to preparing for the Temple of the Ancients. :smithicide:

If it makes you feel any better, I think I overdid it. I've bought all the equipment there is to buy already and I still have enough for a round of Fort Condor and buying Phoenix Downs for the rest of the game.

VagueRant posted:

FF5 was the first, actually. 6 didn't either. 7 brought it BACK from 4. Then 8 and 9 abandonded it. 10 made actually using levels optional which was the neatest thing as you can still grind for gil and random drops in a NSG game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

SweaterGear posted:

Having a "Low-level Game" option that make characters not level up would be a neat feature for a game to have as an unlockable. Might lose some of the absurd number crunching appeal, though.

Actually, XII International has that exactly. You can unlock a mode where everyone starts on level 1 and never levels up.

George posted:

If the game weren't explicitly designed to punish anyone with foreknowledge of its quests this might be true.

I don't follow you. What "punishment" are you referring to?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Schwartzcough posted:

Actually, XII International has that exactly. You can unlock a mode where everyone starts on level 1 and never levels up.
Some later Castlevania games also have that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SweaterGear posted:

Tales of Vesperia has EXP modifiers that you can get for later playthroughs. Among them are 1/2 EXP and EXP is always 1 (with a twist).

Dark Cohomology
Nov 4, 2009
You know, unlocking "Level 1 Mode" or whatever seems like a great way to increase replay value, and it seems like it'd be easy to program. I wish more games would take a page from Castlevania and start adding new game modes after you beat the game once. (I read that the shift in Castlevania to the Metroid format and addition of multiple bonus modes was mainly to increase replay value, in fact).

What if FF5 had the 4 Job Fiesta built in? What if FF7 had some sort of minimal materia mode? Hell, what if you could play as Sephiroth? In modern terms, it make for a neat final trophy before platinum.

gently caress it, I wanna play FF5 and/or 7 as Richter now.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Dark Cohomology posted:

You know, unlocking "Level 1 Mode" or whatever seems like a great way to increase replay value, and it seems like it'd be easy to program. I wish more games would take a page from Castlevania and start adding new game modes after you beat the game once. (I read that the shift in Castlevania to the Metroid format and addition of multiple bonus modes was mainly to increase replay value, in fact).

What if FF5 had the 4 Job Fiesta built in? What if FF7 had some sort of minimal materia mode? Hell, what if you could play as Sephiroth? In modern terms, it make for a neat final trophy before platinum.

gently caress it, I wanna play FF5 and/or 7 as Richter now.

You can already do minimal or no materia, just don't equip any. :v:

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

She's not; you're totally right. If anything, Tifa was the demure princess and Aeris was the slutty tomboy.

I think the consensus was that since Tifa ends up as possibly the only female left in the group her characterization is worn down over time.

Without getting too :nyoron:, Tifa is closer to the bokukko stereotype which is broadly a-poor-man's tomboyish in the sense she likes sporty things (I guess being a monk, though I don't know if anyone's class defines them as much as 7 as pre-6 & 9) and, when faced with girly things (her ~feelings~), she gets flustered and awkward. It's usually stapled to the whole Childhood Friend thing. But yeah, she's still the more introverted one.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Some Numbers posted:

Tales of Vesperia has EXP modifiers that you can get for later playthroughs. Among them are 1/2 EXP and EXP is always 1 (with a twist).

Tales games in general have the Grade Shop as a New Game+ feature that allows you to transfer as much or as little as you want. More games, especially RPGs, should adapt something like that, if you ask me.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Tales games in general have the Grade Shop as a New Game+ feature that allows you to transfer as much or as little as you want. More games, especially RPGs, should adapt something like that, if you ask me.

Yeah, I personally think that the Grade Shop is the best implementation of New Game+. I think the concept becoming an RPG industry standard would be really awesome.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

penguinmambo posted:

Without getting too :nyoron:, Tifa is closer to the bokukko stereotype which is broadly a-poor-man's tomboyish in the sense she likes sporty things (I guess being a monk, though I don't know if anyone's class defines them as much as 7 as pre-6 & 9) and, when faced with girly things (her ~feelings~), she gets flustered and awkward. It's usually stapled to the whole Childhood Friend thing. But yeah, she's still the more introverted one.

Yeah i'm not surprised it's an anime stock character. Also the game sort of acts as if she isn't conventionally hot despite the character design. For storyline purposes this is Tifa

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

swamp waste posted:

Yeah i'm not surprised it's an anime stock character.
Note however that penguinmambo said "closer to", not "is". Anime stock characters are identified by their speech patterns as much as their appearance or behavior. The word "bokukko" comes from the use of male speech patterns, including the first-person pronoun "boku". Tifa doesn't do this, though, because she is not a bokukko.

I wouldn't claim all FF7's characters are sparklingly original, but they really do fall less readily into cliches than many players realize.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

swamp waste posted:

Yeah i'm not surprised it's an anime stock character. Also the game sort of acts as if she isn't conventionally hot despite the character design. For storyline purposes this is Tifa

I dunno, that girl's got something going on.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Judging from what I've seen on Nicovideo, suffice it to say that it's not just the English speaking world that misremembered Tifa and Aerith's personalities.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

This might be why Tifa seems generally well received and no one seems to care for Aerith. I feel entirely the opposite, really. Aerith was actually a nicely developed character. Tifa...well, without getting into dreaded spoilers, she gives me way more reasons to dislike her.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
Sometimes, to get my head around whether I think a character is really all that important is to switch their roles with another. It's pretty much the same thing you do with scriptwriting - if you can switch around pieces of dialogue and nothing is really lost to the story, then there's little lost if you took it out completely.

If you kept all of the FF7 characters looks and personalities but switched them with another characters ingame "role", how would things turn out? Retain the look and personality of Aeris and Tifa but switch around their roles. Aeris is the childhood friend, Tifa is the mysterious flower girl.

While I understand that personality is shaped by background, assume for now they retain their old personality regardless of their background. Or include their new background if you like. I'm curious.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Well, that's the thing. I get the feeling that her background with Zack is pretty much exactly the reason Aerith behaves the way that she does. If we jump over to Crisis Core (and I'm not spoiling a whole lot by saying this), we find out that she has all sorts of slightly goofy men literally falling into her life, from Zack to Tseng to Cloud. She doesn't seem to take any of them very seriously, and the one time she decides to with Zack, well...we know where that goes. I think if you read into it, she was probably a bit traumatized, and Cloud doing his Cloud thing must have made it a lot worse.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crossposting from the FF Megathread. Apparently FF7 PC was released yesterday and pulled because the authentication system wasn't working.

NothingToFyr
May 22, 2010

Elentor posted:

Crossposting from the FF Megathread. Apparently FF7 PC was released yesterday and pulled because the authentication system wasn't working.

Stay classy, Squeenix.

Tired of that DRM that lets you play the game? Try new SecuROM Ultra Advanced! Making sure those filthy paying customers can't even see it, let alone pirate it!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Filthy goddamn payers, trying to take whats RIGHTFULLY THE PROPERTY OF SQUARE-ENIX. We know that they are just paying for it to put it up on torrents and earn "haxxor cred". We'll loving show them.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't follow you. What "punishment" are you referring to?

Almost every quest in Chrono Cross is triggered by talking to the right person in the right place at the right time. If you know where to go you tend to go there first and then arduously work backwards to figure out which random NPC actually triggers anything happening there. It's where the two worlds really start to fail as a device, too, because it doubles this problem.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

George posted:

Almost every quest in Chrono Cross is triggered by talking to the right person in the right place at the right time. If you know where to go you tend to go there first and then arduously work backwards to figure out which random NPC actually triggers anything happening there. It's where the two worlds really start to fail as a device, too, because it doubles this problem.

Uh... first time or any time I've ever played CC, frameskip or no knowledge or whatever, I've never had a problem triggering quests. The two worlds fail in other ways, but that's... not really one of them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

George posted:

Yeah, I've never heard of anyone having this problem, and can't think of where it would happen.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

NothingToFyr posted:

Stay classy, Squeenix.

Tired of that DRM that lets you play the game? Try new SecuROM Ultra Advanced! Making sure those filthy paying customers can't even see it, let alone pirate it!
Someone in the megathread said the music was the midi files from the original pc release, converted into ogg format.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Someone in the megathread said the music was the midi files from the original pc release, converted into ogg format.

For fucks sake Square, FF7 is one of your most revered games and the Final Fantasy name is your biggest cash machine. Would it kill you to have someone spend a day putting in the MP3's to at least maintain the illusion that you care?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

For fucks sake Square, FF7 is one of your most revered games and the Final Fantasy name is your biggest cash machine. Would it kill you to have someone spend a day putting in the MP3's to at least maintain the illusion that you care?

First Day DLC, for just $15.99! The same poo poo but higher quality!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

If they wanted to do that they wouldn't be using SecuROM or be releasing a basically totally unaltered terrible port from '97, would they?

They don't care and they don't care if the world knows they don't care. This is basically them saying "here's your FF7 rerelease you monkeys now shut up, give us your money, and slink back into your mud holes".

Come to think of it, that's probably putting it mildly. Sigh.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Either that or it's network executive mentality. "See, they didn't even buy the remake they were crying for, so not putting any more effort in that direction makes total sense."

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Broken Loose posted:

Whoa, back up. What exactly was slutty about her?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The gobbledeguck dialogue makes it weird, but I guess something could be read into her "Selling my flower" gig. And promising dates for favors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Leovinus posted:

Whoa, back up. What exactly was slutty about her?

Aeris had an ex boyfriend! Everyone knows that anime girls who so much as look at a man beyond the Hero are horrible impure whores.

• Locked thread