Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
My boss is on vacation for the entire month of August so her husband takes over on the weekends and Monday. He likes to belittle me and try to (I say try to because he doesn't) humiliate in front of customers. I hurt my knee and was in a knee brace this week and on Monday he was telling some customer how I'm lazy and basically full of poo poo and I SHOULD HURT MYSELF LIKE A REAL PERSON BY FALLING OFF OF YOUR BIKE AND BEING 60 or something like that. He's always telling customers that either I essentially harass him and make fun of him (wow, way to project, dude) or that I'm basically a huge slacker who can't do my job, which isn't true at all and my boss, his wife, knows that.

He also breaks all the rules and does whatever the gently caress he wants. And I got a tattoo about a month ago, which I've been covering up, but I took my sweater off for like ONE MINUTE and he saw my tattoo and had the gall to say to me, "Are you loving stupid?"

I wish I could confront my boss about it, but they'd turn it into a problem between husband and wife, not boss and subordinate. Since I graduated college in May and they've known I've been planning on leaving he's been treating me like worse and worse garbage. He's been making me do menial poo poo that my boss doesn't assign me to do to "keep me busy" because apparently I'm not working hard enough. Things that I was allowed to do before (read when it's unbearably slow, leave the counter, etc) I'm no longer allowed to do "when he's there" (his words). He makes his own set of rules when he's there that contradict what the boss, his wife, has said.

The worst thing is when I work with him it's just us two. Nobody else. For like 8 hours. He used to be really nice to me, too.

I just have to hang on for this month because after this I'm finally out of retail! :woop: I got a position doing something I really love. I know my boss and I have had our differences but we've started to get along really well this past year and a half and I'm a bit sad. She's been very nice and kind and accommodating, save for her miserable husband.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Just found out I'm getting like twice my normal hours next week!

...which is still less than half the hours a normal human being works... :eng99:

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Drakkel posted:

Just found out I'm getting like twice my normal hours next week!

...which is still less than half the hours a normal human being works... :eng99:

Want to trade? I've been working about 50 hours the past few weeks and am scheduled for 55+ next week.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
AHHHHHHHHHH loving tax-free weekend.

As soon as I get there to close, it's already clusterfuck city. Email sent from Dollar Tree that Florida stores will PROBABLY have trouble with their registers. The trouble? Our registers won't automatically do the tax exemption on qualifying items, so the cashiers have to go line-by-line down the purchase and individually exempt each qualifying item.

OR we can do what the email says and just do an order tax exemption, which for the purposes of this weekend and the fact that we put our store number in instead of the giant tax-exempt certificate number we usually do, might actually exempt the appropriate items instead of the whole thing.

Or it could exempt the whole purchase like, you know, the button USUALLY does. Which means we could land in hot water over the sales tax not being paid on the sunscreen somebody bought or some stupid poo poo like that. I don't know, I'm probably paranoid.

And ah gently caress, I just remembered a lady bought a bunch of baby bottles. Those are tax-free this weekend and I didn't do it. Crap. Not looking forward to the Sunday 2-6 when people are going to be overcrowding the goddamn place for their poo poo.

Also, remember how I said I was supposed to be moving onto the floor and off the register, that my boss was going to hire a new cashier? Yeah, well. He hired BACK an old cashier and then a new cashier.

And instead of putting ME as a stocker, I'm closing cashier all next week, but the kid he hired back as a cashier? Yeah. He's stocking. I'm going to have a real heart-to-heart next time I see that lying gray-haired smoke-lunged motherfucker. :argh:

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Manager called me tonight asking me if I was in town. I had said no and asked why, turns out there was a gas spill at the station and then she said she was going to have to show up to work only to be there back at 4 am. I said yeah I was in town and went to deal with the spill. The spill was more a little splash not even worth the kitty litter stuff it took to throw down on it. Turns out the person was really freaking out over it like it was a big deal and made the person working panic a little.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
I kind of feel bad posting about getting too many hours while other people itt don't get enough, but here goes :v:

*edit-removed the rest*

Long story short I'm jonesin' for an actual day off.

More to the point of the thread, entitlement runs rampant among customers in my industry. Really makes you feel good to be addressed as "Boy."

Forum Hussy fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 4, 2012

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I also hate being addressed as "Sweetie" or "honey" I know they're probably trying to be nice, but it just comes across as patronizing.

I'm also tired of people stealing. People will steal anything. I found a pack of gum yesterday that had like 3 pissing pieces. They didn't steal the whole pack, just 3 pieces.
:psyduck:

foobyfooby
Aug 2, 2006
sploight!

Forum Hussy posted:

More to the point of the thread, entitlement runs rampant among customers in my industry. Really makes you feel good to be addressed as "Boy."

Ever had somebody whistle at you or snap their fingers to get your attention?

Oh my god, the hot, bubbling rage. I'm not a dog, you miserable shiteating motherfucker. It's not hard to address someone as ma'am, miss, sir, etc, when you don't know his or her name. I do it literally every day, even if the person is younger than I am. It feels strange, calling a 16-year-old "sir," but I do it anyway because I know that nearly everyone else he's seen today has just poo poo all over him while he's trying to do his job. No wonder he has literally no interest in helping you, bitch, you treat your pets better than you treat your cashiers.

I'm on the other side of the counter now and it makes me want to cut a bitch when I see somebody acting like a turd to the nice cashier lady. It really makes me sad when I address a cashier politely and she is surprised that I'm treating her like a human being. I hate the idea some people seem to have that a person who works behind a counter for a living past the age of 20 or so is a failure at life. Goddamn, when is that going to go away?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

foobyfooby posted:

I hate the idea some people seem to have that a person who works behind a counter for a living past the age of 20 or so is a failure at life. Goddamn, when is that going to go away?

It's not, because there will always be people who buy into that Protestant work-ethic bullshit and think that America is/was/will be a meritocracy where if you are a good person and work hard enough, you will succeed and become rich.

Because money and success only comes to good people. :psyduck:

Spent 10 minutes trying to deny a return the other day. This guy came and and dropped three clearly abused tools on the counter and claimed the "lifetime warranty" on his year-and-a-half old Fiskars pruning saw and year-old shears meant that we HAD to give him his money back after he abused them and they stopped working. Our return policy is 90 days, and we give even exchanges on warranty claims IF you already contacted the company and they said to go through us. He explained it to me six different ways, pointed at the fine print which he clearly hadn't read and claimed it meant he got a refund, ignored me reading said fine print back to him... finally asked for a manager when I wouldn't roll over like a good retail slave, and the manager spent 10 minutes arguing with him too and outright telling him he'd been misusing his tools, because the poo poo he was returning was THAT bad. And he got to return 2 out of 3 items anyway. I was pleased that all we could give was store credit, although that means he'll be coming back... :smithicide:

Why do people think it's ok to bring their used/abused/broken-rear end poo poo back to the store and get their money back way past the return date? In what universe is this acceptable adult behavior?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Buggiezor posted:

I found a pack of gum yesterday that had like 3 pissing pieces.

Sounds like they need a doctor. :downsrim:

RE: People calling me sweetie, honey, etc. If our nametags were big enough, I would seriously change it to say "Hello, my name is Jason, not 'honey' or 'sweetie' or any other term of endearment waitresses use to try and get a bigger tip. Yes, I know you're a waitress, you're wearing a shirt for that lovely restaurant at a lovely intersection. Kindly use my name or gently caress off." Well. It would say "Hello, my name is not honey or sweetie" at the very least.

RE: Douchenozzle return folks. We get it too. Had a lady return several clearly used (as in covered with sand and smelling of the ocean) childrens' swim masks a week or so ago. I just take the return because it's less hassle to take the exchange and damage it out than try and argue with the customer. When the MOD came over to put in their numbers for the return, they even looked in the bag, saw the shitted-up masks, and put in their numbers anyway.

Dollar Tree takes customer satisfaction to the extreme, to the point where (probably like any other retail company), the written rules are not followed when it comes to returns and customer issues, and instead, we must bend over and let the bone us repeatedly in the rear end, all in the name of CUSTOMER ALWAYS RIGHT :byodood:

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
I don't mind it when ladies call me Hon/Sweetie because they're usually generally nice about it and it doesn't seem demeaning at all (in most cases) and this is the South. If a man calls me anything other than "Ma'am" it starts getting creepy. I don't like it when customers call me by my first name unless it's an nice old person.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Buggiezor posted:

I also hate being addressed as "Sweetie" or "honey" I know they're probably trying to be nice, but it just comes across as patronizing.

I will tolerate it, provided that the person in question is both a woman and old enough to be my grandmother. I will not tolerate it from others, particularly the fat, bald, middle aged hobbit man who tries to hit on me from time to time.

I will also not tolerate it from cashiers/staff in other stores. They should know better.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I managed to speak today to a manager about why I'm not getting transferred over to bakery or produce to help out and I finally got a straight answer from them instead of the run-around bullshit they normally gave me.
I'm not dependable. I'm not dependable because I have missed so much work, due to problems beyond my control. If they put me into another department with me being so undependable, it would "make them [customer service] look like idiots".
Well, I brought this upon myself, I suppose..

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I would look into whether you're covered in the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

silversiren posted:

gently caress that poo poo, you 'brought it on yourself' for having a sickness out of your control? Don't believe that bullshit!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I think I need some advice...

A week ago I hurt my knee at the gym and went to the doctor who told me to stay off of my feet. She was going to give me a notice but I figured it wasn't necessary because I probably wouldn't have gotten the time off anyways. We're tightly staffed and my boss is on vacation for the month - if one person calls out someone will be left alone for hours.

I've worked this entire week on my feet with a knee brace, except now I'm having pain in my hip and a different part of my knee. I'm supposed to start a new job next week but if I hurt myself even more I'm going to be incapable of working at both jobs. I've tried sitting down while I'm at work but I either can't sit for that long without needing to get up again OR the person I'm working with (Boss's husband) wont let me sit because he thinks I'm full of poo poo.

Tomorrow I have off so I'm going to rest, but I don't know what to do if it doesn't. Is there some legal clause or something that says they legally have to give me time off if I hurt myself? They're the epitome of "Bootstraps!" and don't understand when people get ill that they're ill for more than one day or that an injury can get worse if not cared for properly.

I'm just really frustrated with my Boss's husband, who's taking over for the month of August and subsequently my last month. Tonight I was talking to my mom about him and she said that what he's doing is sexual harassment. He likes to talk about young women he sees and tells me about how they look, like, "I saw this young girl when I was out at dinner last night, really pretty, thin, young, looked like a nice girl..." or he talks about other women he meets that way. Today he was telling me about some stupid gym experience he had and was explaining the class teacher he saw or something as, "you know, a young girl, in shape, pretty, good looking" and said that he finished his workout because he's "Not a pussy, you know". If I worked for a franchised company I would definitely take it up with someone higher, but the only person higher up than him is his wife and he's a vindictive rear end in a top hat, and the entire thing wouldn't be about his inappropriate behavior at work but his inappropriate behavior at life or something and how he's a lovely husband. Basically they put me in the middle of their marriage problems.

I really want to cry right now. I want my knee to get better so I can go back to the gym and get on with my life and go to my new job, but last time I had a medical problem that required me to actually even be in the ER, they threatened to fire me. I can't imagine calling out for more than a day.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Pidmon posted:

gently caress that poo poo, you 'brought it on yourself' for having a sickness out of your control? Don't believe that bullshit!

Agreed. This whole punishing people for being sick thing is bullshit.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Shnooks posted:

I think I need some advice...

A week ago I hurt my knee at the gym and went to the doctor who told me to stay off of my feet. She was going to give me a notice but I figured it wasn't necessary because I probably wouldn't have gotten the time off anyways. We're tightly staffed and my boss is on vacation for the month - if one person calls out someone will be left alone for hours.

I've worked this entire week on my feet with a knee brace, except now I'm having pain in my hip and a different part of my knee. I'm supposed to start a new job next week but if I hurt myself even more I'm going to be incapable of working at both jobs. I've tried sitting down while I'm at work but I either can't sit for that long without needing to get up again OR the person I'm working with (Boss's husband) wont let me sit because he thinks I'm full of poo poo.

Tomorrow I have off so I'm going to rest, but I don't know what to do if it doesn't. Is there some legal clause or something that says they legally have to give me time off if I hurt myself? They're the epitome of "Bootstraps!" and don't understand when people get ill that they're ill for more than one day or that an injury can get worse if not cared for properly.

I'm just really frustrated with my Boss's husband, who's taking over for the month of August and subsequently my last month. Tonight I was talking to my mom about him and she said that what he's doing is sexual harassment. He likes to talk about young women he sees and tells me about how they look, like, "I saw this young girl when I was out at dinner last night, really pretty, thin, young, looked like a nice girl..." or he talks about other women he meets that way. Today he was telling me about some stupid gym experience he had and was explaining the class teacher he saw or something as, "you know, a young girl, in shape, pretty, good looking" and said that he finished his workout because he's "Not a pussy, you know". If I worked for a franchised company I would definitely take it up with someone higher, but the only person higher up than him is his wife and he's a vindictive rear end in a top hat, and the entire thing wouldn't be about his inappropriate behavior at work but his inappropriate behavior at life or something and how he's a lovely husband. Basically they put me in the middle of their marriage problems.

I really want to cry right now. I want my knee to get better so I can go back to the gym and get on with my life and go to my new job, but last time I had a medical problem that required me to actually even be in the ER, they threatened to fire me. I can't imagine calling out for more than a day.

If you can, go back to your doctor and get that note so he knows you're not full of poo poo. And if he still doesn't let you sit...well, you say he's vindictive. In most cases, I'd say tell his wife so she can tell him to let you sit the gently caress down. As far as the sexual harassment thing goes, there's probably a local labor bureau or something you can report that to. I honestly don't think that if you report his inappropriate comments, it becomes about his lovely behavior at life and marriage problems. At the bar after work, I wouldn't give a drat what my boss talks about. But when I'm on the clock and he's working, keep it light and non-potentially-effective.

Also, always, ALWAYS get a note. That way you have it on paper that something's hosed in your body.

Just my two cents. Take it at face value, I may have rambled a bit.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

D34THROW posted:

If you can, go back to your doctor and get that note so he knows you're not full of poo poo. And if he still doesn't let you sit...well, you say he's vindictive. In most cases, I'd say tell his wife so she can tell him to let you sit the gently caress down. As far as the sexual harassment thing goes, there's probably a local labor bureau or something you can report that to. I honestly don't think that if you report his inappropriate comments, it becomes about his lovely behavior at life and marriage problems. At the bar after work, I wouldn't give a drat what my boss talks about. But when I'm on the clock and he's working, keep it light and non-potentially-effective.

Also, always, ALWAYS get a note. That way you have it on paper that something's hosed in your body.

Just my two cents. Take it at face value, I may have rambled a bit.

If my leg doesn't get better by Monday morning I'll probably go back to the clinic. I don't have a primary care physician here so I have to go through urgent care. I feel so loving stupid doing that. On top of it I really need the money and I'm moving at the end of this month...Oh, and you know, the better job I'm supposed to start on Monday.

Bland Muffin
Mar 19, 2009
Tonight I heard one of the stupidest thing I've heard in my short time on this earth. I was doing some mopping in my department and waved my manager over to ask her a question about a missing price tag.
Before I could even open my mouth she told me that I wasn't allowed to use the spray bottle in my hand anymore because we switched cleaning chemical suppliers and that bottle had the old company's logo on it. And apparently we will get bitched at if the chem supplier comes in and sees we are using the old bottles.
:psyboom:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yeah, that sounds like something that'd happen. A cigarette vendor came in once while I was working and got pissy because the marlboro cartons were near theirs or something dumb. I didn't really pay much attention to him because he was kind of a jerk.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Sweet merciful cripes on a cracker but tax-free weekend can lick my goddamn boots, this was godawful. I spent virtually all day up on a register so I only got about ten minutes of zoning done at the very end of the day. The entire area looks like total poo poo, but then, so does the rest of the store because everyone ELSE also spent all day on registers instead of being allowed to do their own jobs so I shouldn't get in TOO much hot water for it. Also, WIC checks are still evil.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
What the hell is the reasoning behind a tax-free weekend? Does it cover all retail?

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
From what I can tell, it's to make back-to-school shopping more affordable- the biggest things that were untaxed this weekend seemed to be clothes and office/school supplies- i don't think most of grocery was untaxed, but I could be wrong. I don't know if all stores do it either, or all states. I don't remember anything like it from back when I lived in Illinois before moving to Iowa, but I also wasn't really that observant about retail-related stuff so I could have just missed it.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Bland Muffin posted:

Tonight I heard one of the stupidest thing I've heard in my short time on this earth. I was doing some mopping in my department and waved my manager over to ask her a question about a missing price tag.
Before I could even open my mouth she told me that I wasn't allowed to use the spray bottle in my hand anymore because we switched cleaning chemical suppliers and that bottle had the old company's logo on it. And apparently we will get bitched at if the chem supplier comes in and sees we are using the old bottles.
:psyboom:

You think that's bad? We have a fridge for Coke products and a fridge for Pepsi products. If one of the delivery guys sees a Coke product in the Pepsi fridge or vice-versa, we can actually get FINED according to the manager. And you know people, always putting it back where it doesn't belong. So it's only a matter of time until a Dr. Pepper slips into one of the rows of Pibb and the Coke vendor notices it.

Zeth posted:

Sweet merciful cripes on a cracker but tax-free weekend can lick my goddamn boots, this was godawful. I spent virtually all day up on a register so I only got about ten minutes of zoning done at the very end of the day. The entire area looks like total poo poo, but then, so does the rest of the store because everyone ELSE also spent all day on registers instead of being allowed to do their own jobs so I shouldn't get in TOO much hot water for it. Also, WIC checks are still evil.

As I mentioned in a previous post, our registers don't automatically deduct the tax from exempt items, so us cashiers have to both KNOW the exemption list and go item by item down a purchase to void tax on the appropriate items. This is a known BUG with Dollar Tree software, and considering a new version of the Win98 register software hasn't been pushed out since April 22, 2003, this bug has existed for at least 9 years. :downsbravo:

Cowslips Warren posted:

What the hell is the reasoning behind a tax-free weekend? Does it cover all retail?

Yes, it covers all retail. And the reasoning is...hazy at best considering the vast list of bullshit items people can buy tax-free this weekend in Florida (bandanas, hats, baby bottles, baby formula, you know, poo poo people at school can't even use when it's a goddamn back-to-school thing). However, I think it's so people don't have to pay the measly few percent sales tax on their kids' school supply lists, or for their kids' new clothes.

Oh, and the clothes? Yeah, any article of clothing under $75 is tax-free, as is any school supply item on the list under $15. That's not "you pay no tax on $75 worth of clothing and/or $15 of school supplies". That's per loving item. Hot Topic and Abercrombie must be loving swamped.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
I am so, SO glad our registers knew what did and didn't get tax, I'm not normally a cashier and I would have had absolutely no goddamn idea what to do in that case. As it is I'm hollering for a CSM every few customers because I'm clueless, I don't need that poo poo too.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Up here in Massachusetts, it's intended as purely a retail boost thing. Clothing purchases of items under $500 are untaxed year-round, as are food items, so it's mostly an excuse to drop some dough on an X-Box or laptop or something, because :byodood: I DON'T HAVE TO PAY the 6.25% SALES TAX ON IT, SO I'M SAVING MONEY!

devin
May 29, 2010

silversiren posted:

I managed to speak today to a manager about why I'm not getting transferred over to bakery or produce to help out and I finally got a straight answer from them instead of the run-around bullshit they normally gave me.
I'm not dependable. I'm not dependable because I have missed so much work, due to problems beyond my control. If they put me into another department with me being so undependable, it would "make them [customer service] look like idiots".

Has anyone else noticed the disconnect here? This thread is full of people bitching because they have to cover for the "sick" people, while championing silversiren and telling her to stick it to that stupid management for not recognizing her illnesses.

I'm not saying she doesn't have legitimate reasons to not go into work, or that you should cover bullshit shifts just because someone didn't feel like working today, but it seems like it's really easy to get irrationally mad at someone being sick or incapable of work just as easily as is to get irrationally mad at someone who doesn't feel like working.

I understand that you're dealing with a lot of poo poo, but I think a lot of people here would hate having you as a coworker, for a lot of the reasons posted in this thread.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

devin posted:

I understand that you're dealing with a lot of poo poo, but I think a lot of people here would hate having you as a coworker, for a lot of the reasons posted in this thread.

If I didn't know about her condition, yeah I probably would get pissed about it. However, I manage the HR stuff at my store so I'd find out about it pretty quickly and be sympathetic to her situation.

What I do get mad at is when teenagers call in Friday night or just don't show up weekend mornings with no phone call or anything. Those kinds of people can just go gently caress themselves and luckily they point out pretty quickly doing poo poo like that.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

devin posted:

This thread is full of people bitching because they have to cover for the "sick" people

I'm pretty sure the only time this actually gets brought up is in the case of actual shitbag coworkers. Usually when you see bitching about someone who's actually "sick" it's because of the inconvenience, not because it somehow makes sick people awful coworkers.

devin posted:

Yeah, you're definitely conflating 'dislike but, like a normal person, learn to live with a coworker who is in poor health,' 'hate working with silversiren,' and 'hate silversiren personally.'

Anyway, nobody would feel like they were somehow required to fill in for people who are out sick if western-industrial retail culture wasn't itself sick and loathsome. Also, sick people wouldn't have to constantly worry about keeping their jobs when their illness rendered them somehow unable to come in to work, so it would be like a win-win or something!

No just kidding, good people don't get sick. Clearly if you're sick you're not a good person! Also, since only losers ever work retail, if you're in retail and you're sick that makes you just as bad as, if not worse than, whatever ethnic, social, cultural, political, or religious groups that I despise, though not quite as bad as the ones that I outright detest of course.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

silversiren posted:

I dont think anyone at your workplace is suggesting this is your fault. It sucks that you can't get a transfer, but from an objective standpoint, you've got an ongoing condition that causes you to be absent on a regular basis, which makes it difficult to accommodate you without it making life harder on people that would have to cover you when you need to call out. Is the condition related to the job at all? In the UK at least they'd have to make "reasonable adjustments" to your working conditions or they'd be breaking the law. If its not related then provided it was a recognised disability they'd have to take it into account in any sickness policies they have (such as upping the number of absences before disciplinary processes start).

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

silversiren posted:

I figured as much as this to be the reason. When my immediate boss called sick the numerous times over a month ago, I was pretty much left stranded. Calling around other stores for help ultimately wasted my time because no one wanted to come down on their time off, not even part timers. Also companies are so hesitant to allow overtime because that's what corporate sees on paper in their offices, so I couldn't stay to make up for it.

Example of people not wanting to work on their day off:

Darth Freddy posted:

Manager called me tonight asking me if I was in town. I had said no and asked why, turns out there was a gas spill at the station and then she said she was going to have to show up to work only to be there back at 4 am. I said yeah I was in town and went to deal with the spill. The spill was more a little splash not even worth the kitty litter stuff it took to throw down on it. Turns out the person was really freaking out over it like it was a big deal and made the person working panic a little.

It's just an all around poo poo situation for a department that depends on only a few to run a department and have someone call out sick every other week.

Looks like you need to stick out with your current job and once you get done with your surgeries (or whatever you were going to have done) then find another new job once you are in better shape.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Silver has a legitimate condition. I'm not saying I'd be overjoyed to cover for her once in a while, but my luck during the Christmas season was "Cashier calls out sick -> Call D34THROW to cover". It was always me. It happened enough to make me think the other cashiers were completely full of doodoo and just didn't want to work.

I hate having to come in and cover regardless, but the degree of my pissed-off-ness depends on who I'm covering for. Silver would net an "I hope you're feeling a bit better" the next time I saw her. Half the people I work with would net "Enjoy your day off? *mumblegrumble*"

I swear I'll never work at Publix unless they treat her better, because it makes me afraid of what would happen if I started there. :smith:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember a while ago that I was that rear end in a top hat coworker; at the store I worked at we had exactly three people a day: one to open, one to midshift, one to close. If the midshifter didn't come in, the closer got no breaks or help after 3pm. And if the closer called out, the midshifter had to stay.

Either way my coworker had IBS and needed a day off; she had one day set off for her doctor appt, but told me that her day off was Thursday and she was probably going to take Friday off too so she could have a long weekend. I asked her about that since we were short-staffed, and she said she'd just call out sick, and pretty much leave me stranded as a result. And she did just that.

Bitch, I don't care if you are sick, don't loving tell me you want a long weekend and then not tell the manager to arrange for coverage! If you had called on Thursday night to say you wouldn't be coming in, another helper might have been found.

She never quite understood why I didn't talk to her much after that.

It's one thing if you can't come in because you are sick, and it's another thing if you just don't feel like coming in because you want a long weekend.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Oh my god. I was in the grocery store with my boyfriend and he flagged down an employee and yelled from several isles down, "HOTDOGS!" I almost yelled at him, but I thought it could wait until we got home. That was until he grabbed a chocolate milk and drank it while walking around, and then he stuck it on the shelf while revelling in the fact that it was, "free." My head spun off into another dimension. I explained what the gently caress, but I doubt he got it. I really wish it was a mandate that all people have to work customer service at some point.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
Is your boyfriend retarded? Like how do you not process that eating or drinking something in a store without paying for it is stealing?

Well I'm sure he probably understood that it was stealing but just didn't care since nobody will do poo poo about it or care. And to be honest if it was at my store he'd have gotten away with it because nobody does anything about shoplifters, since we have no security or anything. About all I've seen anybody do is say "security to section [random number]" when they spot somebody shoplifting, hoping it will make them lose their nerve.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Olive Bar posted:

I really wish it was a mandate that all people have to work customer service at some point.

Working retail has made me consider the following in all seriousness: In order to graduate high school, every student must work at least four months as a cashier and stocker. You learn the importance of money handling first off, but you also learn how loving annoying it is when people do douchebag poo poo.

Some old bitch pulled a fast one on us today. She comes up and buys 4 gift bags and 2 other things. Then she comes back in almost five minutes later saying I overcharged her. Bitch, you supposedly had 5 things, you couldn't figure out something was amiss when you paid $6.36 for 5 things in a DOLLAR store? Bullshit. Long story short, I apologize, tell her we can only offer her an exchange or another item, and she flips her poo poo, wants to talk to a manager who tells her the same thing, but SHE MUST GET HER MONEY BACK IT WAS NOT HER FAULT.

She goes and gets a little gift box for the person she's giving gifts in the bag to. And then has the gall to yell "AND YOU ALSO COST ME THE MONEY FOR THE CANDY TO FILL THIS!" on her way out. And then bitched about me being rude to her on her way out when I apologized again. gently caress you and die, you wrinkly old whore. No loving way I gently caress up on gift bags and you don't notice it before you leave unless you're a loving idiot who can't do kindergarten math.

Oh, and she tried to pull some quickchanging poo poo on me too. :argh:

And then there was the guy who comes in and hands me a $20 for one item...okay. I give him his $18.94 in change and the $10 has a little bit missing over the portrait. He looks at it after I've shut the drawer and says with his little accent "No." I say it's fine, it'll spend alright and he says "No. No." So I tell him he'll have to wait until I open the drawer.

He stands there and waits while the little old lady behind him digs around in her purse for the $10.60 or whatever it is she owes. I like to think she did it to subtly tell him what for. :unsmith:

Last, one of the homeless guys that comes in every night to buy his dinner had to send a buddy of his in today to ask for us to call the paramedics because his hands were basically paralyzed in some weird half-clenched-fist position. I hope you're okay, Steve. I'll buy your next Fanta. :smith:

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Pornographic memory: an explaination but NOT an excuse, he grew up in another country and had maids and nannies and poo poo, some common sense stuff doesn't register. He's a nice guy in every other way though, it's strange. He's learning though, which is promising.

devin
May 29, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

I'm pretty sure the only time this actually gets brought up is in the case of actual shitbag coworkers. Usually when you see bitching about someone who's actually "sick" it's because of the inconvenience, not because it somehow makes sick people awful coworkers.

Yeah, you're definitely conflating 'dislike but, like a normal person, learn to live with a coworker who is in poor health,' 'hate working with silversiren,' and 'hate silversiren personally.'

Fair enough.

And just because I don't feel like I made it clear before: silversiren, you're obviously at the mercy of poo poo out of your control and I never meant to imply that you're a bad worker or co-worker, I just used you as an example for a question. If you ever need a job in the middle TN area I will help you get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I hate back to school sales. We have a sale if you buy a Bookbag ($16.99 or more) you get a lunchbox ($9.99 or less) for free. That poo poo sells out quick! We had a huge selection of Bookbags 3 weeks ago when the sale started. Now, not so much. A lady came up to me yesterday saying (in an already grumpy and demanding voice) "Is that ALL the bookbags you have?!" :mad: I tell her it is, we have people who restock all day and if it's not out we don't have it.
She replies "Well that's ridiculous! You don't have a bag to match THIS *throws down a Bratz lunchbox* You don't have a bag to match THIS *throws down a lunchbox with a pink owl on* What are you going to do about this?"
"Uhh...There's nothing I can do. Those are all the bookbags we have. You can pick two other bookbags you like and get the lunchboxes free." What does she want me to do? MAKE her two matching bookbags? Give her discounts on the lunchboxes when we have plenty of other awesome bags to choose from?
She just stormed off back to the bags, angry that I wouldn't give her whatever solution she was wanting.