Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

All craftsdwarfship is of the lowest quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

OhCrap posted:

This here be the entry of Emudi Wivesesi Thine Athama, Granny Minotarrr

It be matin' time. It were Uspsast's turn with Nguzo, but I ain't seen her fer a time. Ain't seen no Bulifo neither.

I'm done sendin' yon turkeybeast to look fer she. Granny's bones ain't gettin' no younger! Durn thing moves too careless anyhow. It can't see none so it keeps knockin' over the still with its tails and settin' fire to yon moonshine.

This reminds me really strongly of the Slavic folklore witch, Baba Yaga. She's an old cannibal woman who lives in a hut that stands on chicken turkey legs. Read more about Baba Yaga here.

Wow, I guess there's lots of action to be had in the next update. I wonder what happens if that monster manages to get into the fort, kill everybody or maybe half and the entire fortress will succumb to tantrum spirals if not the beast itself? It would be a sudden end to the LP, but at least it would be a blazing end. Literally.

Too bad I've stayed at my parents-in-law this week, haven't really had time to write journal entries.

e: Qwo, cool!

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Domattee posted:

That looks like the organic bastard child between a jets air-intake and a blunderbuss, with tumors and zerg creep growing all over it. It doesn't have a beak :stare:

Were you talking about OhCrap's picture or the actual turkey?

Callipygian Weasel
Apr 2, 2010

by Lowtax

Rawkking posted:

I discover Idles shoved under Star Guarded's bed in extremely poor condition. I order the bed removed and both patients relocated immediately. I ask if any is responsible for this and no one claims to know.

This is really great. I love how observant you are; all of the easily missed details like this and the blood-covered cock really add a lot.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Callipygian Weasel posted:

This is really great. I love how observant you are; all of the easily missed details like this and the blood-covered cock really add a lot.

Seems to be a common side effect of being responsible for a turn. I know that I got paranoid if time was passing without screenshotting something. You spend time pausing and looking around for something to talk about. It leads you to make stories out of even mundane things, but this adds colour to the fort. I really enjoy how each overseer beings their own individual style and sense of priorities, sometimes even inadvertently giving rise to a new thread in someone else's story.

There is (as far as I see) a degree of hand waving by overseers, where other stuff gets done in the background without being highlighted. I'm very guilty of that one. Being Dwarf Fortress, of course, you only have to wait so long before something happens .. but there's always something going on, and something that could be shown. Sometimes the little details seem to lead to more fun than the big ones.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

Were you talking about OhCrap's picture or the actual turkey?

OhCrap posted:

I am not art people :colbert:

I meant the actual turkey. OhCraps picture is hilarious. You can tell I meant the real turkey because OhCraps actually has a beak. :obviously:

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
Oh man, I died. :smith:

Though actually, cant complain to much, this way my dwarf got the spotlight more then I thought she ever would have. Very sad about my poor widow of a husband though.

I had planned to try for overseer in the future, suppose that being dead havent been a large issue for other overseer's in the past. :v:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Domattee posted:

I meant the actual turkey. OhCraps picture is hilarious. You can tell I meant the real turkey because OhCraps actually has a beak. :obviously:

What's funny is that that turkey isn't even really crazy - some of the grade A breeds are just meatpiles.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Mmmm, self-roasting turkey.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Juc66 posted:

Here's my crappy attempt

This one's definitely the best, I love the cane.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Qwo posted:

Sweet jsesus it is a possessed scrotum

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Did I ever get buried? I don't recall any seeing any screenshots of it.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
^ You most likely have, I checked the graveyard to make sure we had spares available. I'll see if I can work it into an update.

Callipygian Weasel posted:

Thanks! It is a lot of factors besides my abilities, the effect of being a LPer on your play and goons counting on you is pretty huge, plus this fort is in a less than ideal position at the moment with the number of casualties our military have taken (with more soon to come!)

Probably not going to get out a full update today, but here's the health page information for all the dwarves currently in the hospital. Look at how efficient dwarven healthcare is!

Idles

Status

Except in the case of being shoved under a bed, hunger and thirst tend to get resolved pretty quickly.

Wounds

Wounds do not show up for dwarves until diagnosed by a physician.

Treatment

Dwarven medicine isn't that great and dwarves coming out of it frequently need crutches for life :smith:

Hilariously it just slows them (they get faster with more crutchwalking skill) and military dwarves can still use a weapon + shield.

History

Shows all medical history, not just related to the current visit.

Internet Kraken

Status

Wounds

Treatment

Dwarves need to be reevaluated by a diagnostician after every medical procedure. Makes sense but sucks when you have a whole host of injured dwarves and would prefer that they just wing it and hope the treatment worked.

History

Magrov

Status

Wounds

Treatment

History

Male Man

Status

Wounds

Treatment

History

Revenant Threshhold

Status

Wounds

Treatment

History

Rurik

Status

Wounds

Treatment

History

Star Guarded

Status

Wounds :v:

Treatment

History

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
These are the worst doctors.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I gotta say, having an overseer who apparently has a very firm grasp of the medical system is definitely a very good thing.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Isn't it the case that the only dwarf who does diagnosis is the Chief Medical Dwarf, anyway? I seem to recall something along those lines, meaning that you had one person who had to look at every patient and the rest had to wait on him before they could do anything.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Bad Munki posted:

I gotta say, having an overseer who apparently has a very firm grasp of the medical system is definitely a very good thing.
Unfortunately, that doesn't necessarily mean anyone will actually end up treated properly. But at least they could be, if the doctors do their jobs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OhCrap posted:

This here be the entry of Emudi Wivesesi Thine Athama, Granny Minotarrr

It be matin' time. It were Uspsast's turn with Nguzo, but I ain't seen her fer a time. Ain't seen no Bulifo neither.

I'm done sendin' yon turkeybeast to look fer she. Granny's bones ain't gettin' no younger! Durn thing moves too careless anyhow. It can't see none so it keeps knockin' over the still with its tails and settin' fire to yon moonshine.

Uhhh here... let me just...

There! Muuuch better.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I'm loving these medical updates. Poor Star Guarded. :allears:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

I would have settled for just having an overseer who can drop a well...

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Jesus christ! :psyduck: Star Guarded should be put down just to save him from the life of incredible pain.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Rawkking posted:

Rurik

Status

Wounds

Treatment

History

Huh, when did that happen? I thought as a surgeon I was safe. :aaa:

I hope I recover.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ddegenha posted:

Isn't it the case that the only dwarf who does diagnosis is the Chief Medical Dwarf, anyway? I seem to recall something along those lines, meaning that you had one person who had to look at every patient and the rest had to wait on him before they could do anything.

Not exactly. You have to have a chief medical dwarf and an active hospital zone before anyone will do any diagnosis at all. If you have those things, then anyone with the diagnosis skill enabled can do the work.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rawkking posted:

Star Guarded

Status

Wounds :v:

Treatment

History

Just walk it off, you'll be fine.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Rurik posted:

I hope I recover.

It is really unfortunate now. Both you and Magrov (a 90%+ medical aptitude dwarf tanner so nearly as much of a future medical prodigy as Zaodai's wife Tirius) are out of commission when you'd both be awfully helpful, especially with this battle coming up.

In spite of how being left alone on a hospital bed for 1 month or so makes for great journal entries and such it's kind of like 10+day battles in that dwarves really can survive extended hospital stays. Star Guarded is really unfortunate and I don't know about Male Man since she may have had those infections as a baby but most of the dwarves are probably going to be fine...pending on the results of the battle with fireturkey clogging up the hospital yet further.

I should note that I'm not THAT experienced in medicine, I'm basing this off a 10 year or so fort I ran to get up to speed on the changes to military and medicine and just used the wiki religiously, and even the wiki isn't sure about some things medical.

Incidentally, that fort ended due to unknown gaps in my defense resulting in a goblin war leader-led mega siege destroying the fort. Hopefully I've improved! :v:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rawkking posted:

It is really unfortunate now. Both you and Magrov (a 90%+ medical aptitude dwarf tanner so nearly as much of a future medical prodigy as Zaodai's wife Tirius) are out of commission when you'd both be awfully helpful, especially with this battle coming up.

Where are those medical aptitude numbers coming from? Do you just calculate it yourself based on traits, or is there a thing that does it?

Also, please remember that to stop us run around naked the 3 police officers were issued no uniforms and are not "combat ready" despite being in a squad. :ohdear:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

Where are those medical aptitude numbers coming from? Do you just calculate it yourself based on traits, or is there a thing that does it?

:ssh: It's a new version of Dwarf Therapist that features the "Dwarf Guidance Counsellor" (not the real name), a built-in version of a calculator that compares a dwarf's attributes and soul stats to the demands of vocations and then suggests most compatible careers.

With Magrov, it seems he's got high ratings somewhere between agility, endurance and dexterity (kinesthetic + spatial senses).

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Wait, since when are skills influenced by a dwarf's personality and physiology? I mean, stuff like healing faster and all that I obviously know about, but I didn't know individual labor skills were influenced by anything.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

YeOldeButchere posted:

Wait, since when are skills influenced by a dwarf's personality and physiology? I mean, stuff like healing faster and all that I obviously know about, but I didn't know individual labor skills were influenced by anything.

Ever since DF2010, I suppose. They are also trained by skill usage, my furnace operators tend to turn out as iron-willed little bastards. Personality traits also have a hand, mostly with what social skills they can learn (social anxiety cases can't be Comedians, you need leadership ability to learn Persuader, nervousness/anger/dejection tendencies influence how exactly they go nuts).

Looking at Magrov's sheet, I can see nothing exceptional and relevant, except for maybe his altruism (gains happy thought from rescuing wounded, giving food/water). Either he's shaped up since his immigration or surgical duty is the only thing his musclebound pain-shrugging rear end is not mind-numbingly mediocre at. :v:

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011

Qwo posted:

Yours is really cool.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I liked seeing such a detailed update, just trying to focus on getting our military back up while most of the fort is in the background. Also I'm curious how Revenant Threshold ended up underneath a bed.

Though I guess with the size of that hospital, maybe Rev just got shoved off to make room for another patient. And with Turkey incoming, maybe digging some new hospital space is recommended.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I feel sorry for Male Man.

Poor kid's going to spend half his childhood with three limbs in traction and stone cold sober. It's Dwarven child cruelty!

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

Rawkking posted:

nearly as much of a future medical prodigy as Zaodai's wife Tirius

Cool, glad to see my dwarf is contributing to the fortress in a way that doesn't involve taking an axe to the face!

I'm pretty surprised that my dwarf never had a tantrum actually, considering she's gone through most of the losses Zaodai did, in addition to dealing with his imprisonment/death.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tirius posted:

Cool, glad to see my dwarf is contributing to the fortress in a way that doesn't involve taking an axe to the face!

Wait, what? There are other ways?!

This changes everything.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Bad Munki posted:

Wait, what? There are other ways?!

This changes everything.

Not if you're a festering sack of pus, I'm afraid.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, okay. Thank goodness!

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Leperflesh posted:

Uhhh here... let me just...

There! Muuuch better.

It's meant to be moving carelessly! :argh:

yeah, I was half tempted to do that myself :D

Wait, "turn your head to the right"? :argh:

for context:

OhCrap fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 6, 2012

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

Rurik posted:

I hope I recover.

Taking a look at the combat list in-game, it looks like you went hunting. No details available.

In context I assume you went hunting with dwarf Al GoreDick Cheney.

e: It was on 2nd and 3rd Obsidian... so something in the caverns, it would seem, since the fort was turtled up at the time.

e2: This is always my favourite part of Legends mode:

vv Thanks. Muddling my references.

OhCrap fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 6, 2012

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

OhCrap posted:

Taking a look at the combat list in-game, it looks like you went hunting. No details available.

In context I assume you went hunting with dwarf Al Gore.

Surely "dwarf Dick Cheney"? Possibly armed with a ballista...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
Just recently got caught up with the thread. I'm loving this LP so far.

With ishittrains wrecking Ugath's celestial plumbing and most of the military in traction, who will save us?

• Locked thread