Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Is there a way to make Chrome mobile not open the tabs that were open when I closed it? I just want a blank app if I open it directly or one tab with the link I followed if I pressed it from somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Is there a way to make Chrome mobile not open the tabs that were open when I closed it? I just want a blank app if I open it directly or one tab with the link I followed if I pressed it from somewhere else.

The answer to this is no.

You could write some sort of auto kill tasker task though that wiped it from memory everytime you closed it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Yesterday, while storms were rolling through the midwest, my phone starting beeping loudly to warn me about a tornado warning in the area. I figured it was a feature of BeWeather except that the warning showed up in my text messages. The beeping was not my SMS notification though. I don't know if this is BeWeather, a feature of the SGS3, or something else. Does anybody have any information about this? Nobody else I was with (all with iPhones) received any warnings so it's not a thing that went out to everybody in the area.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yesterday, while storms were rolling through the midwest, my phone starting beeping loudly to warn me about a tornado warning in the area. I figured it was a feature of BeWeather except that the warning showed up in my text messages. The beeping was not my SMS notification though. I don't know if this is BeWeather, a feature of the SGS3, or something else. Does anybody have any information about this? Nobody else I was with (all with iPhones) received any warnings so it's not a thing that went out to everybody in the area.
That's not an app, it's CMAS. iPhones don't support CMAS yet.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It's a TouchWiz feature. It's CMAS implemented as a TouchWiz feature. :)

Check the TW Messaging Settings menu, there's a whole section on "Emergency message settings."

Edit: Thanks, didn't know the actual name for it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

the kawaiiest posted:

That's not an app, it's CMAS. iPhones don't support CMAS yet.

iPhone: 23
Android: 10 11 :smug:

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Favorite tethering app? It's for a rooted Galaxy Nexus and I'll probably only use it for a Nexus 7 that I'm getting soon.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

beerinator posted:

Favorite tethering app? It's for a rooted Galaxy Nexus and I'll probably only use it for a Nexus 7 that I'm getting soon.

Stock. I doubt your carrier will notice you tethering another Android device. It's basically all I use my Nexus S for anymore short of phone calls, WiFi tethering for the 7.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Stock. I doubt your carrier will notice you tethering another Android device. It's basically all I use my Nexus S for anymore short of phone calls, WiFi tethering for the 7.
There have been reports since early July that T-Mobile is now effectively blocking tethering on stock Nexus devices. I think it's detecting user agents mainly so you wouldn't have noticed if you were tethering a Nexus 7.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

There have been reports since early July that T-Mobile is now effectively blocking tethering on stock Nexus devices. I think it's detecting user agents mainly so you wouldn't have noticed if you were tethering a Nexus 7.

I haven't hit a pay wall or no throughput either so who knows.

Edit: Read your post more clearly, I'm retarded.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I don't have a stock tethering app. Or at least I can't find it. I used to have one on an old T-Mobile phone, but not this one, because I bought it straight from Google.

An I missing something? Anyone else have a tethering app suggestion?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

beerinator posted:

I don't have a stock tethering app. Or at least I can't find it. I used to have one on an old T-Mobile phone, but not this one, because I bought it straight from Google.

An I missing something? Anyone else have a tethering app suggestion?
Settings > More... under Wireless & Networks > Tethering & portable hotspot

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Settings > More... under Wireless & Networks > Tethering & portable hotspot

Damnit. That's what I used to do... Stupid brain.

Thanks!

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Anyone have any advice on what to turn on for CMAS?

My phone lists "Presidential alert" (which cannot be turned off! :tinfoil:), Extreme alert, Severe Alert, and Amber alert type messages, and I have BeWeather installed to alert me of weather advisories.

I like being abreast of local emergencies, but I also don't want it going off for minor things. Is there a breakdown of what constitutes what alert?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Hmm, if it was detecting user agents, does that mean they're messing with anyone whose browser has a 'desktop page' mode?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

MikeJF posted:

Hmm, if it was detecting user agents, does that mean they're messing with anyone whose browser has a 'desktop page' mode?

Yes, I believe that was the case. I remember seeing that.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

TVarmy posted:

Anyone have any advice on what to turn on for CMAS?

My phone lists "Presidential alert" (which cannot be turned off! :tinfoil:), Extreme alert, Severe Alert, and Amber alert type messages, and I have BeWeather installed to alert me of weather advisories.

I like being abreast of local emergencies, but I also don't want it going off for minor things. Is there a breakdown of what constitutes what alert?

I turned of severe alerts, because extreme alerts are really all I care about, and i turned off amber alerts because I use milk cartons for that

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

TVarmy posted:

You shouldn't turn off CMAS, it could seriously save your life. WeatherBug and BeWeather are great but sometimes it takes a few minutes for them to send out warnings and a few minutes is all it takes, especially with tornadoes.

I wouldn't turn off severe alerts at all if my phone was CMAS capable. A severe thunderstorm can still hurt you and damage your car. Just because it's not dropping tornadoes doesn't mean it's not dangerous.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Basically if you're getting a CMAS message, it's not a minor thing.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange

feedmyleg posted:

Android booze apps: Any bartending app that lets you plug in ingredients and spits out recipe possibilities? Kind of like Google recipe search but for alcoholics.

Cocktail Flow is my bar app. Its ads are un-intrusive and it's Holo themed. There are in app purchases for more recipes.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Does CMAS require a data plan or is it through SMS?

Also, for phones that do not have CMAS, is there any free services out there that will SMS you severe alerts in your area?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

IT Guy posted:

Also, for phones that do not have CMAS, is there any free services out there that will SMS you severe alerts in your area?
Will wireless customers be charged for CMAS/WEA alerts?

Wireless customers will not be charged for the receipt of WEA messages. In addition, alerting authorities will not be charged by wireless carriers for distributing CMAS/WEA alerts.

Per the link from earlier.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DemonMage posted:

Basically if you're getting a CMAS message, it's not a minor thing.

It tends to get annoying around here where flash flood warnings are common but affect very few people.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It tends to get annoying around here where flash flood warnings are common but affect very few people.
Ha, the only CMAS warning I've gotten was a Flash Flood Warning while I was in Pittsburgh.

To me that translates into "stay off the parkway" since the bathtub is proned to flooding and I don't want to get stuck in that mess.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

IT Guy posted:

Weatherbug will give you weather warnings. There's also simple weather alerts. I'm on my phone so I can't link to them but they're easy to find.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I'm having some issues with SwiftKey not using correction/prediction on certain input boxes, mostly seems to happen with the stock browser and certain apps. Is this a common problem?

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Has anyone been downloading these free Amazon App Store games and not seeing their $1 MP3 credit?

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

az jan jananam posted:

You don't have to input a password in BeyondPod, you can access your Reader subscriptions through the google account on your phone. Choose the option to "Use ____@gmail.com" from the dropdown menu in "import from Google Reader" and it will pull up a permission prompt.

The Reader integration with BeyondPod has never given me problems.

This sounds great, but I am a moron and cannot locate this setting anywhere. Any tips?

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha
I uninstalled the Amazon Appstore over the weekend, figuring it would disable/uninstall all the apps that were tied to it. Unfortunately this was not the case.

One of the apps I got from Amazon was Seal, which I used to password protect my texts, email, phone settings, calls, file browsers, market & internet. Well, after uninstalling the Amazon Appstore, I attempted to use my phone and the Seal password popped up, followed a second later by a message saying Seal cannot be used without the Amazon Appstore installed.

So I was unable to unlock my phone, and due to what was locked unable to reinstall the Amazon Appstore. Luckily, the Frost browser was not included in the list of Internet apps and I was able to email myself the Amazon Appstore .apk and install it through Frost. After which, I was able to uninstall Seal. I will have to go through my Amazon account manually now and check that I have all the apps uninstalled before removing their market again.

Had I not found a way around the block, is there a way to remotely uninstall an app? or would a factory reset have been my only option?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sendo posted:

I'm having some issues with SwiftKey not using correction/prediction on certain input boxes, mostly seems to happen with the stock browser and certain apps. Is this a common problem?

I think this is an Android thing rather than a keyboard thing, although I've been using SwiftKey for so long that I'm not sure. I mostly notice it in the Google search box in a browser, and in Jelly Bean in the Google Now search box.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Kid posted:

I uninstalled the Amazon Appstore over the weekend, figuring it would disable/uninstall all the apps that were tied to it. Unfortunately this was not the case.

One of the apps I got from Amazon was Seal, which I used to password protect my texts, email, phone settings, calls, file browsers, market & internet. Well, after uninstalling the Amazon Appstore, I attempted to use my phone and the Seal password popped up, followed a second later by a message saying Seal cannot be used without the Amazon Appstore installed.

So I was unable to unlock my phone, and due to what was locked unable to reinstall the Amazon Appstore. Luckily, the Frost browser was not included in the list of Internet apps and I was able to email myself the Amazon Appstore .apk and install it through Frost. After which, I was able to uninstall Seal. I will have to go through my Amazon account manually now and check that I have all the apps uninstalled before removing their market again.

Had I not found a way around the block, is there a way to remotely uninstall an app? or would a factory reset have been my only option?

If you had USB debugging enabled, you could probably have removed the program using ADB command line.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is there any texting/messaging app that's been updated for the ICS aesthetic (e.g., action bar support) and supports group MMS? On a related note, why do all the popular options look almost identical and share the same faux-iPhone interface?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I would love to know that as well. Group SMS is the only major missing feature from Android, I think.

The most frustrating and annoying thing ever: having a group of ten friends sending messages back and forth to the tune of some odd 100 text messages in an hour. Frustrating, and I have to respond to each person individually.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Swype beta question - I did a thing & got a popup telling me I could Swype from Swype to a to select all, from Swype to c to copy, Swype to x to cut & something else. I can't seem to get these to work, anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

If you had USB debugging enabled, you could probably have removed the program using ADB command line.
I don't think there's a way to uninstall an apk over ADB, only to install.
code:
adb install whatever.apk
The bigger lesson here is "Don't do stupid things."

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Kid posted:

https://play.google.com/apps
Allows for remote uninstalls.
(may only be for appls installed over play, which is/would-be another good reason to tell amazon's appstore to go gently caress itself)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I don't think there's a way to uninstall an apk over ADB, only to install.
code:
adb install whatever.apk

adb uninstall com.some.app.here

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

adb uninstall com.some.app.here
That's what I had typed up but then I decided to check the ADB commands page and it wasn't on there. I didn't think I was imagining having used that.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Maybe. But I'm going to give Amazon a lot of poo poo for this one. It's absolutely irresponsible for them to approve an app which falls back inappropriately (locks you out of your device) when there's a licensing issue.

You can blame the original app developer for that too. But it might be some kid who doesn't know the first thing about designing a security app. The whole point of Amazon's store is that this stuff is supposed to be professionally vetted, and security apps need to be vetted more than, say, a game.

Perhaps the bigger lesson here is "don't purchase things from the Amazon Appstore."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Maybe. But I'm going to give Amazon a lot of poo poo for this one. It's absolutely irresponsible for them to approve an app which falls back inappropriately (locks you out of your device) when there's a licensing issue.

You can blame the original app developer for that too. But it might be some kid who doesn't know the first thing about designing a security app. The whole point of Amazon's store is that this stuff is supposed to be professionally vetted, and security apps need to be vetted more than, say, a game.

Perhaps the bigger lesson here is "don't purchase things from the Amazon Appstore."
I think there's plenty of blame to go around. The user by virtue of installing and using a third party app store should understand what they're doing, the app developer should do a better job, but ultimately I'm inclined to agree with you that if Amazon is going to take on the burden of curating their app store and managing the user experience of that then ultimately the responsibility lies with them. Of course it's not like they've been good at this in the past so a certain degree of caveat emptor should be expected.

What was that file browser app that everybody likes that wasn't ES? I'm wanting to try it out again and haven't been able to remember the name for two days now.

• Locked thread