Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

PopRocks posted:

For those of you with browsers that support it, can anyone tell me what this text effect is?
o҉r҉a҉n҉g҉e҉

For those who can't see it, it's basically each letter surrounded by little comma spokes like rays in a circle.

What's the Unicode for making that happen?

Fish: it's U+0489 COMBINING CYRILLIC MILLIONS SIGN.

Rod: Unicode String Analyzer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?

What a fantastic little tool, I'll be having a lot of fun with this!

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

uptown posted:

I posted a while ago in Critterquest but nobody responded - Can someone ID this spider for me? I found him in Italy.

Is there a way arachnophobiacs can keep spider-centric images from loading on a page?

Okay, fine: I asked this of Pet Island random questions thread to no avail a few weeks ago. Is there a reason my cat wants to lick my oil perfumes from my wrist whenever I wear them? Is she attracted to the fragrance, or the oil? Is she missing something in her diet? I avoid wearing things I understand to be poisonous in some capacity around her: lily of the valley, pennyroyal, tonka bean. But I would love to know why on earth she does it in the first place. I don't wear "real" perfumes--just my late-era hippie mother's affectionate supply of oil fragrances--so I have no idea if she would do this to Chanel No. 5 or whatever.

Help me break into the feline mind, goons.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
To expound upon a question from a few pages ago:

Americans have a particular affinity for non-native american english speakers and their accents. For a very stereotypical example, Antonio Banderas has a very sensual accent when he speaks english that the ladies seem to swoon over.

Does this accent envy translate into any other languages? I assume when I speak Spanish or French, I have an accent, as much as my teachers tried to drum it out of me, but it doesn't seem like it's considered as exotic as a foreign accent in America would be (or in my case in Barcelona, pretending not to understand me until I started lisping).

I basically feel like I've gotten the short end of the stick with first languages, as my polyglottism would be considered extremely attractive in most circumstances. But it seems to be met with scorn in other countries, even though I'm speaking their language relatively fluently. What the hell? Or did I just have the unfortunate luck of meeting a bunch of assholes?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Or did I just have the unfortunate luck of meeting a bunch of assholes?

Yes, especially if one of your languages is French.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
actually the majority of the French folk were polite and friendly. it was the barTHelonians who pretended not to understand me.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

RaoulDuke12 posted:

actually the majority of the French folk were polite and friendly. it was the barTHelonians who pretended not to understand me.

Barcelona is weird with their "let's be a king from ages ago" thing.

That being said: funny accents are generally "interesting," because exoticism. Like if I were to speak (lovely) portuguese to brasilians, they'd laugh. Or if I were to try and speak to italians, they'd do the same.

Lord knows about the French, since I know my french is rubbish.

Then again, if europeans think you're rubbish, being ignored is a blessing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Meat Recital posted:

For reference, this is what 100psi can do. Air pressure is not something to gently caress around with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTU5Ts7lnNM

That seems unfair since it's accelerating a projectile. This strikes a little closer to home:
http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/161980/man-inflated-freak-compressed-air-accident

Wet Bandits Copycat
Apr 18, 2004

So I'm trying to get a certain effect in a word processor: I want something a little more redacted looking than just strikeout. I'm trying to make it remain legible, but really look like someone scribbled over the writing or went over it with a pen. Does any goon know how to do this?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Change the text color to a dark grey and then highlight it with black?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

What the hell is with the "Never Put Ketchup On A Steak" crowd? What is the reasoning behind the opinion?

It's just an example of the "my opinion is objectively correct" attitude. Personally I would never put tomato sauce on a steak, because that would pretty much ruin it for me, but you'll never find an objective reason not to do it, because the goal is just to eat something that you like the taste of, so if you like the taste of steak better with tomato sauce on it, why wouldn't you eat it that way?

nunchi posted:

So I'm trying to get a certain effect in a word processor: I want something a little more redacted looking than just strikeout. I'm trying to make it remain legible, but really look like someone scribbled over the writing or went over it with a pen. Does any goon know how to do this?

Write the text normally, take a screenshot, paste it into an image editor (Photoshop, Paint.NET, whatever), scribble over it however you like, crop any unnecessary bits, save the image and import it into the document.

There may be a better option that I'm not aware of, but that should work.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Tiggum posted:

It's just an example of the "my opinion is objectively correct" attitude. Personally I would never put tomato sauce on a steak, because that would pretty much ruin it for me, but you'll never find an objective reason not to do it, because the goal is just to eat something that you like the taste of, so if you like the taste of steak better with tomato sauce on it, why wouldn't you eat it that way?

That's true, however, you can't honestly say "I really like the taste of steak" if you cover it with ketchup, just like you can't say "I like the taste of bourbon" when you bury it in 5 oz. of cola.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The real issue is that ketchup objectively tastes like poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON NATURAL MELLOWING AGENTS FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 6, 2012

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Write the text normally, take a screenshot, paste it into an image editor (Photoshop, Paint.NET, whatever), scribble over it however you like, crop any unnecessary bits, save the image and import it into the document.

There may be a better option that I'm not aware of, but that should work.

Just don't do it like this:

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/10/09/how-redact-pdf-air-defence-radar-secrets-spilled/

And catsup is good for some things, just don't gently caress up a good steak with it.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007

Liebfraumilch posted:

Maybe I am spoiled on Wikipedia, but I see a lot of mistakes in film subtitles (English-English) and I have the strongest urge to correct them. How are same-language subtitles produced? Screenplay, voice recognition, or some poor jerk sitting in a dark room all day?

Pretending one wanted to correct mistakes, could that be done? I've seen it a lot on Netflix because things tend to run quietly on my laptop or I'm watching with my ESL fiance, and I have to say if someone is truly deaf they are getting so shafted sometimes...

I don't do English-English so this won't be the answer you're looking for, but I do English-Japanese for mostly music but also movies, etc. We get audio or timestamped video and just listen really hard.
I have NO idea how it works in America/UK/AUS or wherever, but I know in our case we never get the script/lyrics. Sometimes you're crunched for time and a ghastly mistake slips through, sometimes you just can't for the life of you understand that little snippet of dialogue and you spend an hour or two rewinding, slowing down, playing back, messing with EQ, etc, and nothing.
Very, very rarely we get desperate and ask the record label or whatever company we're dealing with for some materials, but they're way too busy to deal with that. The only time we ever got someone to send lyrics was when no one could make out a single word when transcribing a Sean Paul single, and the man himself sent us the lyrics.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
"in some places and at some times" and maybe even ISPAAST

is a phrase used by some thinker I recently read to great effect, and Google gets me nowhere.

Anyone read the same book I did recently that can tell me where it is from?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

kapalama posted:

"in some places and at some times" and maybe even ISPAAST

is a phrase used by some thinker I recently read to great effect, and Google gets me nowhere.

Anyone read the same book I did recently that can tell me where it is from?

This is really hard to answer without knowing what the author's subject was. The phrase appears 355 times on Google Scholar and I've got no way of knowing how to filter down.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

uptown posted:

I posted a while ago in Critterquest but nobody responded - Can someone ID this spider for me? I found him in Italy.

I'm not 100% convinced, but I'm going to guess Araneus marmoreus, possibly var. pyramidatus.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

marshmallard posted:

This is really hard to answer without knowing what the author's subject was. The phrase appears 355 times on Google Scholar and I've got no way of knowing how to filter down.

Yeah I loved how he used it, and it made a lot of sense when I read, but I have done way too much reading in the last two years, and I have no idea which field it was.

I only realized how much I had internalized it when I wrote it, and then I wanted to read what the original place I read it was, but I think even though this one author used it as a touchstone, it is too regularly used by many people to get back to the author in question.

Thanks for giving it a shot!

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
name 8-10 random indie pop songs that are relevant right now? Where can I find random pop-ish popular songs at short notice? I can't really gently caress with pandora or spotify right now, I'm thinking literally a list of "listen to this skip that"

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Psalmanazar posted:

Still wanna know this guys. I've been weightlifting and I want to measure my squats in Hitlers.

Around 150 pounds.

Source

I can squat 1.2 Hitlers, or approximately 1.39 Poldarns!

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

cargo cult posted:

name 8-10 random indie pop songs that are relevant right now? Where can I find random pop-ish popular songs at short notice? I can't really gently caress with pandora or spotify right now, I'm thinking literally a list of "listen to this skip that"

Erm, well, you could see what Pitchfork has to say about that and other things, or see what is on t61's frontpage right now? For starters, maybe?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

cargo cult posted:

The indie chart?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
iTunes sales charts?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Namarrgon posted:

Intersting, so capital expenditures is not considered one of those things you substract from revenue in order to calculate profit? Seems a bit counter-intuitive to me.

Sorry for the late reply, but it's not once you understand the concepts behind the reasoning. I'll assume for the sake of argument that "capital expenditure" here means buying new equipment or machinery or what have you. When you do that, again assuming you're paying cash, all you're doing is converting one asset (cash) into another (machinery). The expense apsect, from a profit/loss point of view, comes in through depreciation.

Say you've got this machine that will last 10 years before it's worn out and needs to be replaced. The simplest way of dealing with that is to have an expense of 1/10 the machine's value for ten years. That accumulated depreciation offsets the asset's book value. One of the basic rules of accounting says that you record revenues and expenses in the period when they transpire. You don't use up the equipment as soon as you buy it, so you spread that expense out over the life of the asset.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Does anyone know the special name for a bricked-up window or door? It's an architecture term, but I can't seem to find it and I know there's a single word (possibly one for door and one for window) for a bricked-up window used as a wall.

And it's not "ghost door" or anything like that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I uninstalled Firefox last night because I was trying to get rid of a stupid AVG secure search, but then I blew away all remnants, including files left over in /loclalow and /roaming. Problem is that I forgot to back up my bookmarks like an idiot. I've tried running a system restore to before when I uninstalled Firefox, but that didn't bring back my bookmarks. Am I SOL here, or is there a way I can resurrect them?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

Sorry for the late reply, but it's not once you understand the concepts behind the reasoning. I'll assume for the sake of argument that "capital expenditure" here means buying new equipment or machinery or what have you. When you do that, again assuming you're paying cash, all you're doing is converting one asset (cash) into another (machinery). The expense apsect, from a profit/loss point of view, comes in through depreciation.

Say you've got this machine that will last 10 years before it's worn out and needs to be replaced. The simplest way of dealing with that is to have an expense of 1/10 the machine's value for ten years. That accumulated depreciation offsets the asset's book value. One of the basic rules of accounting says that you record revenues and expenses in the period when they transpire. You don't use up the equipment as soon as you buy it, so you spread that expense out over the life of the asset.

(So we are not going to confuse the issue with accelerated depreciation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_depreciation

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Xandu posted:

Just search on youtube, they were pretty much all on there last I checked.

Thanks, for anyone else curious they're all here.

Also, saying "Americans" is a pretty big generalization. I'm not upset or anything, it's just a bit silly.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Ariong posted:

Also, saying "Americans" is a pretty big generalization. I'm not upset or anything, it's just a bit silly.

It's really not.

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.
Anybody know of good resources (book or online) regarding "natural" cleaners and such? Like making your own household cleaners, laundry detergent, and any other household tips along those lines.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Was going to walmart and this helicopter came from the distance, it turned then sprayed something in the grass/small line of trees behind walmart and a strip mall in a straight line, < 1/4 mile. Spray is off, it turned around and left to where it came from. All over in < 30 secs.

What was it? Mosquitoes? we're in the middle of a drought, didn't think they were a problem, google maps shows no bodies of water behind the store. Fertilizer?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
If you're in the middle of a drought, could it have been water?

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Camembert posted:

Anybody know of good resources (book or online) regarding "natural" cleaners and such? Like making your own household cleaners, laundry detergent, and any other household tips along those lines.

I haven't tried any of these but had bookmarked it for later investigation. Give it a look?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

tarepanda posted:

If you're in the middle of a drought, could it have been water?

It was just a mist and only on for 10 seconds, that much water wouldnt do anything I'd think.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

Was going to walmart and this helicopter came from the distance, it turned then sprayed something in the grass/small line of trees behind walmart and a strip mall in a straight line, < 1/4 mile. Spray is off, it turned around and left to where it came from. All over in < 30 secs.

What was it? Mosquitoes? we're in the middle of a drought, didn't think they were a problem, google maps shows no bodies of water behind the store. Fertilizer?

Pesticides, but other things as well. Crop dusters are pretty common.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_duster

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I dunno, I'm miles away from anything in anyway agricultural, crop dusters are something I've only seen in movies. It came from far away and just sprayed like 1000' strip directly behind the store and strip mall then went back to where it came from.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I was wondering if anyone knew a good online resource for antique appraisals. We have a very old statue that grandma used to rave about being worth a fortune and I have always been curious to see just how much it is worth. Here are some links to some big images just in case someone here is an antique master. All I know is that it is old, made of what appears to be copper, and is possibly made in France.

http://i.imgur.com/ySvqX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vFSer.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JiAG4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Jdo60.jpg

Also pictured a stupid turtle thing that I hate. Poor turtle :(

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

I dunno, I'm miles away from anything in anyway agricultural, crop dusters are something I've only seen in movies. It came from far away and just sprayed like 1000' strip directly behind the store and strip mall then went back to where it came from.

Walmart needs to keep bugs out like fields do, and laying down a perimeter makes it easier.

Helicopters are insanely expensive to run, but they are far more exact in where they lay down pesticide barrier layers.

Ask a dog owner about spraying an entire lawn to keep fleas out of carpets. It's the same idea. Pesticides outside the place where the food is sold are better than those same pesticides inside the store where food is sold. The adults are hard to kill, and interrupting the life cycle outside is more effective, and safer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
When will TV channels offer 'extended-footage' versions of reality TV shows online?

People always complain that they only get 45 minutes of show per week, everything is still constrained by time slots. When they film reality shows, they must have hundreds of hours of wasted footage, just sitting around.

People would love to watch 3 hour episodes of their favorite shows if they were offered online.