Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

ufarn posted:

How do I save my Terminal aliases permanently? They keep turning invalid eventually.

Copy them into a file named .profile and save that in your user's home folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Alec Eiffel posted:

Today I decided to upgrade to Mountain Lion by first downloading Snow Leopard (I know, I know). Apple's website seems to no longer offer Snow Leopard - is my only option via Amazon or Ebay? (It's priced in the low $100s - was it always this price?)

Until Apple realizes that pulling SL was a stupid decision when it's required to upgrade to anything newer, yes (legally, anyway).

And no, it wasn't always that price, but because of people in your situation who actually have to have it, the price has inflated.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Binary Badger posted:

Apple's probably getting everyone to change password strength because of what happened to that blogger.

How would that solve the issue? As was said, someone at AppleCare bypassed the security.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Anyone have any recommendations on weather apps?

I've been using the vanilla weather widget for a while now but for some reason its started to become very buggy recently. Every day or so a widget will forget what city it's supposed to be reporting on and will change back to Cupertino (I run a handful of them to keep track of multiple cities).

I've already tried Meteorologist, which was definitely nice, but for some reason I can't configure it to have more than 1 city.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

empty baggie posted:

Until Apple realizes that pulling SL was a stupid decision when it's required to upgrade to anything newer, yes (legally, anyway).

And no, it wasn't always that price, but because of people in your situation who actually have to have it, the price has inflated.

Didn't they offer everyone a free upgrade to SL that wasn't on it for about a month before ML came out?

Wasn't anyone who's going to upgrade to ML already on SL?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Didn't they offer everyone a free upgrade to SL that wasn't on it for about a month before ML came out?

I don't remember the free upgrade thing. Maybe they did.

As far as people already being on SL, from the several frustrated customers I've talked to over the past week, no.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Bob Morales posted:

IIRC, they sent free copies of SL to MobileMe users who were still using Leopard, so that they could get the App store and then buy the upgrade to ML.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

empty baggie posted:

I don't remember the free upgrade thing. Maybe they did.

As far as people already being on SL, from the several frustrated customers I've talked to over the past week, no.

Maybe go to Best Buy and see if they have retail SL discs still?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

A person could possibly try an Apple reseller. Our shop has quietly upgraded a few people so they can install ML. We're really not supposed to do this and obviously don't charge, so it's strictly a customer-satisfaction thing. I'm not sure how hard Apple would crack down on shops doing this, but I mean, they've kinda screwed a ton of people by setting this restriction. Surely it's not just to sell more computers as some people I've talked to have suggested.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
I'm assuming that their reasoning is simply "If you're interested in upgrading to ML then you would have likely upgraded to SL already, and if your hardware is too old to have come with SL then oh well buy some new hardware".

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

A bunch of Amazon resellers have 10.6.3 DVDs for $114 new, $88-98 for an open box. Bleah..

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Alec Eiffel posted:

Today I decided to upgrade to Mountain Lion by first downloading Snow Leopard (I know, I know). Apple's website seems to no longer offer Snow Leopard - is my only option via Amazon or Ebay? (It's priced in the low $100s - was it always this price?)

Do you still need a copy? Can your Mac use a 10.6 install?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Just pirate 10.8, install it, then buy it.

Anything else is going to be needlessly harder and more expensive.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shin-chan posted:

How would that solve the issue? As was said, someone at AppleCare bypassed the security.
And to be more specific:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/all/

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

There are two sides to this.

The 'only when hackers go after high profile targets will security be fixed' argument.

balanced against the

The 'just because there are glass windows does not mean one should break them' argument.

I cannot believe this guy does not back up his computer though. WTF? The article is surprisingly well-written for a complete idiot. How the gently caress does someone who does not even consider that hard drives fail all the drat time manage to string sentences together?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm having the weirdest input mapping bug. All my keys are mapped according to the US layout, except tilde which now inputs § and ±, the swedish layout. What the gently caress, apple.

I just want this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KB_United_States-NoAltGr.svg

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 7, 2012

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

kapalama posted:

I cannot believe this guy does not back up his computer though. WTF? The article is surprisingly well-written for a complete idiot. How the gently caress does someone who does not even consider that hard drives fail all the drat time manage to string sentences together?

This fellow was on Sunday's "The Week in Tech" podcast to tell this story. He said that his desktop was backed up regularly, and it was just the laptop that he'd gotten lazy with. Object lesson, right? Can't afford to get lazy with anything these days. Dude didn't sound pompous on the podcast tho, he just sounded tired.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm having the weirdest input mapping bug. All my keys are mapped according to the US layout, except tilde which now inputs § and ±, the swedish layout. What the gently caress, apple.

I just want this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KB_United_States-NoAltGr.svg
Fixed with an Ukelele custome layout. I just wonder why it's worked for so long.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

CaptainCrunch posted:

This fellow was on Sunday's "The Week in Tech" podcast to tell this story. He said that his desktop was backed up regularly, and it was just the laptop that he'd gotten lazy with. Object lesson, right? Can't afford to get lazy with anything these days. Dude didn't sound pompous on the podcast tho, he just sounded tired.

Yeah I am hammering him too hard about that I guess. I am certainly gald he is willing to be called an idiot about it for the purposes of bringing to light a serious issue.

And in some sense if his MBP would not have been wiped, it would be too easy to see it as just a hiccup. Also if I just had a kid, I would be unable to function as a person, much less a proper member of society, even much more less remembering to back up my laptop.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 7, 2012

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
So this sob story got me to turn on two factor authentication. I get how this works for the web, but it looks like it just generates individual passwords for all my other devices. So if someone gets my gmail password, they can still do tons with it, just not from the web app?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

Just pirate 10.8, install it, then buy it.

Anything else is going to be needlessly harder and more expensive.

I have to agree. Apple will do alright even if you don't drop your $20 on it. They are doing swell, and not because of software sales.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

dexter6 posted:

So this sob story got me to turn on two factor authentication. I get how this works for the web, but it looks like it just generates individual passwords for all my other devices. So if someone gets my gmail password, they can still do tons with it, just not from the web app?
They can't do anything anywhere - although in some apps, the "application password" for Gmail might help them do that. They'd have to use the account recovery feature that goes with the account, I believe.

As the Apple problem has shown, this part is the weakest link for people who aren't complete idiots about their security measures. The secret-question recovery model needs to die yesterday.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Whenever you get a password recovery question at signup, I strongly suggest you wail away at the keyboard for a minute in the answer field instead.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dolomite posted:

Do you still need a copy? Can your Mac use a 10.6 install?

Yes, my Mac can use a 10.6 install. I have 10.5.8. Yesterday I thought, "gee, I should probably get this computer up to snuff," but alas...

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

CaptainCrunch posted:

Yeah, I don't really care. He's a tech writer who couldn't be bothered with doing the proper setup. I have a kid on the way and I'm not exactly a saint when it comes to security, etc. However, I have a proper functioning backup of all my devices. It's inexcusable, especially with Apple hardware, not to have a functioning Time Machine backup running. I'm sorry, no, he does not get a pass.

This kind of sob story could have been cut short at "wow Amazon and Apple's support security kind of sucks guys".

Ugh.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would just laugh if someone told me they had a separate email for all their accounts with password recovery. But people definitely need to take backing up their data seriously.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Whenever you get a password recovery question at signup, I strongly suggest you wail away at the keyboard for a minute in the answer field instead.

This is completely useless most of the time. Apple gave out the account information despite the "hacker" failing the security question.

Once, when I had forgotten that I had gotten fancy with the recovery question, I got access to my credit card account despite getting the answer wrong three times. The person on the phone just let it pass. This was during a call about fraudulent charges :effort:.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
If anyone is really interested, I am pretty sure I have a Snow Leopard disc that I will sell cheap, I just have to go home and make sure its still in my desk drawer somewhere.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Porkchop Express posted:

If anyone is really interested, I am pretty sure I have a Snow Leopard disc that I will sell cheap, I just have to go home and make sure its still in my desk drawer somewhere.

Thank you. I actually called Apple and they sold me a copy of SL for 29.99 + tax.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just filled out the Mountain Lion up to date form with my new MBA and the download code came less than a minute later. All I had to do was enter my serial#, not sure why people were scanning their receipts?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Probably has to do with what kind of store you bought it from. I'm guessing buying it from a random electronics store instead directly from Apple or a premium reseller makes you scan it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
New obnoxiousness discovered with the Safari 6 omnibar: When you're doing a Google search, the omnibar will show the search term, not the URL you are at (even after clicking to different pages, or image search). Want to copy/paste the URL so someone can see the search results? Well gently caress you, the omnibar knows better.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
How the hell do I get my girlfriends iMessage's from her phone to show up on her 2012 MBA? She upgraded to Mountain Lion but they aren't showing up.

She's logged into the same iCloud account on both her iPhone and MBA, so I don't really know what the problem is...

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I think you're confused. iCloud doesn't sync your phones entire message history. Nor will it intercept messages sent to her phone number until Apple officially launches that feature with iOS 6.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 7, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

DarkJC posted:

I think you're confused. iCloud doesn't sync your phones entire message history. Nor will it intercept messages sent to her phone number until Apple officially launches the that feature with iOS 6.

Ah gently caress. This is what I get for being a Windows/Android user.

Thanks! Guess she'll just have to wait until iOS6 drops for her 4S :)

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ah gently caress. This is what I get for being a Windows/Android user.

Thanks! Guess she'll just have to wait until iOS6 drops for her 4S :)

Or get people to send texts to her iCloud account address instead of her phone number.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

Alec Eiffel posted:

Thank you. I actually called Apple and they sold me a copy of SL for 29.99 + tax.

No worries, its open to anyone who might need it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Does anyone know offhand the preference to change to get removable media not to show up on the Desktop? I know it's off by default in ML, but it showed up again after I ran Migration Assistant.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Arivia posted:

Does anyone know offhand the preference to change to get removable media not to show up on the Desktop? I know it's off by default in ML, but it showed up again after I ran Migration Assistant.

Finder Preferences, General Tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For anyone using the Save As function in Mountain Lion like the pre Lion days...well it doesn't work the same way:
http://macperformanceguide.com/MountainLion-SaveAs-data-destruction.html

quote:

If one edits a document, then chooses Save As, then BOTH the edited original document and the copy are saved, thus not only saving a new copy, but silently saving the original with the same changes, thus overwriting the original.

If you notice this auto-whack, you can “Revert To” the older version*** (manually), but if you don’t notice, then at some later date you’ll be in for a confusing surprise. And maybe an OMG-what-happened (consider a customer invoice that was overwritten).
Meanwhile if you have the "ask to keep changes" setting turned on (in System Prefs-General), Duplicate is probably the better option since it'll still pop up a discard/save dialog when closing the original (assuming you don't want to save the changes there, like the old Save As).