Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Feenix posted:

Also: Walking Dead Ep 1 was kindof brutal. I hear Ep2 is even moreso. I don't know if I can take it. ;)

Yeah, Ep 2 is much more hardcore than 1. Also there's a lot less puzzle solving and the game is more about your actions and reactions to the story. Still a super awesome game though.

One thing I really like about The Walking Dead is how the game doesn't let the mechanics get in front of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I just played through both eps of the walking dead since its on the free list now, I thought it would suck but it was some fairly good poo poo for sure. The next episode comes out soon right?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Interesting... Irem just removed all PS1 Classic R-Type games from the PS Store in all regions. They did something similar with the Wii's Virtual Console.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Telltale last said Episode 3 would come out in mid-August. Then again, they haven't been good with releasing stuff on promised release dates lately.

Heads up to Just Cause 2 fans and/or Playstation Plus members:
Just Cause 2 will be taken down from the free section of PS+ in North America next week.
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light and the PSone games Hot Shots Golf 2 and International Track & Field will also be taken down next week.
If you want them all, get them now. You don't have to download the whole game. Just make sure they're in your download list so you can access them after the games have been taken down.

Maybe they'll replace Just Cause 2 with Darksiders to coincide with the release of Darksiders 2 on the same week. :allears:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Chemtrail Clem posted:

I just played through both eps of the walking dead since its on the free list now, I thought it would suck but it was some fairly good poo poo for sure. The next episode comes out soon right?

Well, let's see. They said the episodes would be monthly. Episode 2 came out two months and five days after episode 1. When the PSN next updates, it will be over one and a half months since episode 2. I imagine it won't be out then either. Your guess is as good as anybody's.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

...! posted:

Interesting... Irem just removed all PS1 Classic R-Type games from the PS Store in all regions. They did something similar with the Wii's Virtual Console.

Irem's been removing most of their content across the PS Store worldwide for awhile now. They've effectively imploded and are withdrawing everything barring their Japanese pachinko games.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I've got a question for the MGS guys here. I bought the HD collection on Vita, but my Vita broke and it's been at Sony for a while. I didn't get too far into it, but in the meantime I found MGS4 at Half Price Books for just $5. So, is it safe for me to jump right into MGS4 or should I wait for my Vita to return and play 3 first? I'd really like to start 4 while I have the Summer to enjoy it at home and reserve 3 for later, but I don't want to gently caress the story up if that's what would happen by playing 4 -> 3.

(Also, the previous owner was a smoker and the case reeks of cigarette smoke, and the install screen featured Snake smoking. That's the only time I've appreciated the smell of cigarette smoke :clint: )

gay skull fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 8, 2012

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Yechezkel posted:

Maybe they'll replace Just Cause 2 with Darksiders to coincide with the release of Darksiders 2 on the same week. :allears:

Good thing I've been powering through Darksiders the last two days... already halfway through. Hopefully I can beat it before (if) they make the announcement, and pawn it off for $5 on Amazon.

For the people who can't get into Darksiders, you should definitely try it again. For some reason I wasn't very impressed by it after playing for an hour or so awhile ago, but I've put in 6 hours in 2 days because I can't get enough of it. The art style (Joe Madureira!) really allows this game to shine, despite being a few years old. I never played much Zelda in the past, but I'm really enjoying the pacing, freedom to explore, and puzzles. The world feels large and interconnected, and there's lots of backtracking that opens up as you acquire new items. The level design and locales are varied and interesting in different ways, allowing you to go forward or backwards without any hassel (you can use fast-travel, but I'd rather just walk). The combat can be compared to God of War, but the tools you get are really fun to use. I'm about halfway through the game, and only just unlocked the ability to use the triangle button. I can't pinpoint why, but this made me really happy. Something about the way your character, and the game, progress feels extremely refreshing to me.

BlindNinja fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 8, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Soundshapes is pretty neat. The edit mode is fun, and the campaign mode is kinda like a platformer version of Pixeljunk Shooter. (but way more charming...)

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

ohnoitschris posted:

I've got a question for the MGS guys here. I bought the HD collection on Vita, but my Vita broke and it's been at Sony for a while. I didn't get too far into it, but in the meantime I found MGS4 at Half Price Books for just $5. So, is it safe for me to jump right into MGS4 or should I wait for my Vita to return and play 3 first? I'd really like to start 4 while I have the Summer to enjoy it at home and reserve 3 for later, but I don't want to gently caress the story up if that's what would happen by playing 4 -> 3.

(Also, the previous owner was a smoker and the case reeks of cigarette smoke, and the install screen featured Snake smoking. That's the only time I've appreciated the smell of cigarette smoke :clint: )

Youve played the other ones right? Chronologically it goes 1 2 4 so you wont necessarily be missing out on much but theres lots of backstory fleshed out in 3, plus 3 is probably the best game in the series overall. I would wait if you could handle it

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ohnoitschris posted:

I would just play it. The story in MGS3 isn't really anything to write home about and the gameplay is passable. It might be hard to go back to the controls of 3 after so much stuff was streamlined in MGS4 though.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ohnoitschris posted:

I'd strongly advise against it. Skipping 3 won't affect you too much when you play 4, certainly not compared to 2, but mostly because 4 thoroughly spoils 3. 3 is amazing, arguably the best game in the series, and you really should play through it without having so much spoiled for you.

blackguy32 posted:

The story in MGS3 isn't really anything to write home about
see this guy? he's being sarcastic.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Youve played the other ones right? Chronologically it goes 1 2 4 so you wont necessarily be missing out on much but theres lots of backstory fleshed out in 3, plus 3 is probably the best game in the series overall. I would wait if you could handle it

I played 2 about a decade ago, so I barely remember the story, but I think I've got enough of a grasp on it to move on. I have 1 (as The Twin Snakes), but it didn't really click for me when I played it ages ago, so I thought I'd just jump right into 3 or 4.

boom boom boom posted:

I'd strongly advise against it. Skipping 3 won't affect you too much when you play 4, certainly not compared to 2, but mostly because 4 thoroughly spoils 3. 3 is amazing, arguably the best game in the series, and you really should play through it without having so much spoiled for you.

see this guy? he's being sarcastic.

Makes sense to me. I really enjoyed 3 from what I played, so I'm gonna go ahead and wait. Thanks guys!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You could probably have fun with 4 but their is a lot of fan service in the story that won't make a lot of sense. The story is nonsense anyways though so who cares?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Walking Dead is really loving good. I suppose that if I let my Plus subscription lapse, and buy episodes beyond 2, they won't work though?

edit: it was a completely generic zombie setting until I learned that people zombie whether they are killed by a zombie or not, that changes everything.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 8, 2012

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

ohnoitschris posted:

I'm gonna go against the grain here and suggest that you play MGS3 first. There is some stuff in MGS4 that will be harder to appreciate without playing 3 (you'll know when you see it). On top of that, the gameplay in 4 will make it difficult to go back to 3, even though 3 is still a drat fine game.

That being said, if you don't mind the gameplay stuff, it would probably be alright to play the first one or two acts of MGS4 while you wait for your Vita to return, then dig through MGS3, and finish off MGS4 afterwards.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...! posted:

Well, let's see. They said the episodes would be monthly. Episode 2 came out two months and five days after episode 1. When the PSN next updates, it will be over one and a half months since episode 2. I imagine it won't be out then either. Your guess is as good as anybody's.

When they announced it on the PS blog, Telltale said "about monthly" (or some synonym of about.)

Steam says monthly, but it's a marketing blurb so I never trust those anyway.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Walking Dead is Telltale's best game yet. It blows Back to the Future out of the water. A truly great adventure game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: it was a completely generic zombie setting until I learned that people zombie whether they are killed by a zombie or not, that changes everything.

That is, oddly enough, the very definition of generic in this context. It's exactly what happens in the original Living Dead movies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Walking Dead is really loving good. I suppose that if I let my Plus subscription lapse, and buy episodes beyond 2, they won't work though?

That's actually what happens in the original Living Dead movie. The Walking Dead has a ton of homages to that.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Ya, that's pretty darn generic. I love Night of the Living Dead too, but mostly for the social commentary, not the "Newsflash: Radiation from a moon of Pluto is waking the dead!", style scientific coherence.

Don't really care for the series, but the gameplay/narrative is fairly solid, makes me wish that the old telltale games like BTTF would get engine updates just for the d-pad/face button equivalency.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dominic White posted:

That is, oddly enough, the very definition of generic in this context. It's exactly what happens in the original Living Dead movies.

Going by every single zombie movie in the last 20 years, I'm pretty sure that "generic" in the year 2012 is "get bitten, turn into one of them."

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Has anyone bought Quantum Conundrum? The demo was ok and it seemed to have decent Portal like humor

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Finally finished Driver: San Francisco. I liked it well enough, but it gets so infuriating when games prevent you from advancing the story for no reason at all.

"You need to do 2 City Missions to before you can unlock this."

gently caress you game. Stop putting up artificial barriers to extend the completion time of your game. You're swiftly running out of goodwill. Also, weirdly the game has not recognised that I completed Chapter 2 so it won't give me that trophy.

Now on to Syndicate to see what that's like. And how I wish I could play those PSP games downloaded from the PSN store on my console. The Warriors is up there for Ł3 and I'd love a go of that again.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

That's actually what happens in the original Living Dead movie. The Walking Dead has a ton of homages to that.
I guess I forgot about that. Every zombie movie I have watched made in my lifetime has been about a virus or something passed by being bitten.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Since there has been quite a few people looking to get into the MGS games, MGS1 is now on sale for €4.95, down from €9.99. EU only unfortunately.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Stare-Out posted:

Since there has been quite a few people looking to get into the MGS games, MGS1 is now on sale for €4.95, down from €9.99. EU only unfortunately.

I'm waiting/hoping for a discounted bundle of all 4 games when they hit later this month.

Krad fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 8, 2012

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Zen Pinball 2 update is going to launch on Sept 4th. This will combine Marvel Pinball and Zen Pinball into one game. All your purchases from each game should be upgraded into the new platform. Oh yes, you can also play it on your Vita at no extra cost. And there will be a new Popcap themed table. :dance:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/08/zen-pinball-2-on-ps3-vita-popcap-table-this-september/

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
No one got opinions on Soundshapes? I grant you it's fundamentally a simple game. It's also incredibly whimsical, fun, musical, and creative.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

No one got opinions on Soundshapes? I grant you it's fundamentally a simple game. It's also incredibly whimsical, fun, musical, and creative.

I played it a little last night and it does seem pretty good but I didn't play it enough to get a good impression. Still, I'm a sucker for games where you effect the music and platformers, so this seems custom made for me.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Why is the Two Worlds II GOTY called "Velvet"?

Is it silky smooth and looks good on my wall with Elvis painted on it?

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Feenix posted:

It is a simple pleasure. Chill out and platform. Just try not to bob your head to to music grinning like an idiot while you do it, I fucken dare you.

Alabama Blacksnake
Aug 9, 2005

But it ain't too goddamned beaucoup.

DrVenkman posted:

Now on to Syndicate to see what that's like.

A shockingly dull, by-the-numbers corridor shooter. Let me save you some disappointment and recommend that you skip straight to the multiplayer.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

omnibobb posted:

Why is the Two Worlds II GOTY called "Velvet"?

Is it silky smooth and looks good on my wall with Elvis painted on it?

You bet $10 it does :colbert:

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
You're Invited - Mercia: Fractured Realms Beta

You have been summoned to Mercia: Fractured Realms,
the free to play online RPG only in PlayStation®Home.

I get home at 8PM and wake up to head out to work at 4AM, five times a week. Glad to have a job though.

That being said, who here has enough free time to participate in this beta?

HONKER24 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 8, 2012

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

When they announced it on the PS blog, Telltale said "about monthly" (or some synonym of about.)

Steam says monthly, but it's a marketing blurb so I never trust those anyway.

OK, at this point I have to assume that you're either trolling or you're purposely dense. What part of "over two months" in your mind is even close to being equivalent to "about monthly?" It's kinda neat that you dismiss Steam's listing as untrustworthy marketing that should be discarded. People who base their purchase on that are morons, right? :)

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
This argument can only end in dino damage.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Discount Viscount posted:

This argument can only end in dino damage.
Do you realize how funny it was that I was just reading the hate speech argument thread in GBS and came in here and read this, thinking that it was in that thread?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...! posted:

OK, at this point I have to assume that you're either trolling or you're purposely dense. What part of "over two months" in your mind is even close to being equivalent to "about monthly?" It's kinda neat that you dismiss Steam's listing as untrustworthy marketing that should be discarded. People who base their purchase on that are morons, right? :)

The text in the box that also contains the game's logo, screenshots and non-representative trailer is untrustworthy, yes.

You see about monthly and think a month, give or take a couple of days. I see it as give or take a couple of months. Is this your first Telltale outing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Feenix posted:

I just finished the Beck levels and promptly had my mind blown. They're transcendent, really, but the whole game has been a pure joy to play through. The controls are laser-precise, the creativity on the levels is wonderful and having everything set to music is brilliant. Everyone should give the game a chance, because it's completely unique and very much worth the asking price.

Also, I just finished the campaign and it told me to have a nice day. This game is classy.

[edit] Oh my god, the Death Mode levels are brutal. No wonder they're all worth Silver Trophies.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 9, 2012

• Locked thread