Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I've been curious about trying out FFXI recently, but I think I only have Silver LIVE. If that's okay, then I wonder if there's a downloadable demo for the 360 out :shobon:

The White Dragon has been huffing jenkem or something, you don't need Gold. But there isn't a demo, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh, poo poo, I thought you did. It was just incidental that my bro who WAS connecting from the 360 had Gold, then.

Still, I figure the guy has a computer and it's probably less than six years old, no reason not to use that.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I completely agree, too many excellent Windower plugins to pass up. And the graphics will be a little nicer. Why hasn't anyone else tried a console MMO?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I have a big flight coming up and I'm planning to invest in either FF3 or Tactics for the iPad to keep me busy. I can't really decide which, though. I liked Tactics Advance and Advance 2, but I'm a sucker for old Final Fantasy games, and I've never played 3 (as it's the Japanese 3 not 6)

Anyone have any info that might sway me in one direction? Are the ports good?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stoat posted:

I have a big flight coming up and I'm planning to invest in either FF3 or Tactics for the iPad to keep me busy. I can't really decide which, though. I liked Tactics Advance and Advance 2, but I'm a sucker for old Final Fantasy games, and I've never played 3 (as it's the Japanese 3 not 6)

FF3, especially this remake, is pretty awful and I wouldn't in good faith recommend it to anyone.

Does Tactics iOS still have that horrendous slowdown issue when you cast spells? Seriously, SE, hackers removed it completely from your game so you just suck at coding.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I completely agree, too many excellent Windower plugins to pass up. And the graphics will be a little nicer. Why hasn't anyone else tried a console MMO?

Aren't they releasing FFXIV 2.0 on the PS3?
Other than graphics, how good is the Xbox 360 version of FFXI? I keep seeing used copies in my local game store, and I'm kinda curious.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Aren't they releasing FFXIV 2.0 on the PS3?
Other than graphics, how good is the Xbox 360 version of FFXI? I keep seeing used copies in my local game store, and I'm kinda curious.

Yes, FFXIV 2.0 will go to the PS3, although its release date isn't known yet.

The 360 version of FFXI is really good only if you have the chat pad. Its how I played FFXI during my time and the controls/chatpad set up worked really well. If you want to try it there are copies of FFXI with all expansions going for like 10 bucks on the 360.

That said, I can't imagine a PC made in the last few years having a problem with FFXI, the drat game is a decade old upgraded graphics or not.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Barudak posted:

Yes, FFXIV 2.0 will go to the PS3, although its release date isn't known yet.

The 360 version of FFXI is really good only if you have the chat pad. Its how I played FFXI during my time and the controls/chatpad set up worked really well. If you want to try it there are copies of FFXI with all expansions going for like 10 bucks on the 360.

That said, I can't imagine a PC made in the last few years having a problem with FFXI, the drat game is a decade old upgraded graphics or not.

My laptop is in absolutely awful condition, and I'm due for a change but I'm moving countries very soon and would rather wait so I can get a PC.
Now, I recall that I mostly see copies of things like FFXI: Chains of Promathia. Could I get that or is it only an expansion of the base game? And do I need to pay for an account or will my Gold account suffice?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Calaveron posted:

My laptop is in absolutely awful condition, and I'm due for a change but I'm moving countries very soon and would rather wait so I can get a PC.
Now, I recall that I mostly see copies of things like FFXI: Chains of Promathia. Could I get that or is it only an expansion of the base game? And do I need to pay for an account or will my Gold account suffice?

You pay separately from your gold account; FFXI is the only 360 online game that does not need gold to function and it was a work around MS promised just so they could have some sort of Final Fantasy on the system.

Every copy of FFXI includes the base game+whatever version it is expansions. Obviously get the most recent version of it with all the drat expansions and mini-expansions and what have you as otherwise you'd have to buy them separately. After that go to the goon thread in MMO HMO and get ready to be laughed at for being one of the like 2 dozen people to ever play the game that way.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Barudak posted:

You pay separately from your gold account; FFXI is the only 360 online game that does not need gold to function and it was a work around MS promised just so they could have some sort of Final Fantasy on the system.

Every copy of FFXI includes the base game+whatever version it is expansions. Obviously get the most recent version of it with all the drat expansions and mini-expansions and what have you as otherwise you'd have to buy them separately. After that go to the goon thread in MMO HMO and get ready to be laughed at for being one of the like 2 dozen people to ever play the game that way.

Hahah ok yeah I'll just wait next year for a new computer and FFXIV 2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you've never played FFXI, there's not a lot of point in starting now. The game has some pretty outdated gameplay mechanics, has a very steep learning curving, and is still incredibly time consuming. There are way better MMORPGs to play now, especially ones you don't have to pay for.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stoat posted:

I think you'll get the most fun out of Tactics. It even has a good story, too.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I picked up Dissidia 012 after beating FF4 and 5, thinking with a fuller picture of the series I would have a better appreciation for the fan service game. I played the original Dissidia a bit and liked it well enough, but I don't know how to feel about this one. The combat is fine, I like that mostly. I unlocked and tried to play as Exdeath, which went horribly. Really, it's the other stuff I don't like. The fan service just doesn't deliver. I've only played a little, but everyone has lost their memory? And everyone has already met up and knows each other? Maybe I should have played the prologus thing, it feels like the story mode starts halfway through.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I picked up Dissidia 012 after beating FF4 and 5, thinking with a fuller picture of the series I would have a better appreciation for the fan service game. I played the original Dissidia a bit and liked it well enough, but I don't know how to feel about this one. The combat is fine, I like that mostly. I unlocked and tried to play as Exdeath, which went horribly. Really, it's the other stuff I don't like. The fan service just doesn't deliver. I've only played a little, but everyone has lost their memory? And everyone has already met up and knows each other? Maybe I should have played the prologus thing, it feels like the story mode starts halfway through.

The prologue demo doesn't have any story content. It's only purpose now is unlocking Aerith as an assist character.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Stoat posted:

I just finished FFI for Android and loved it. Something about the updated graphics and fixed up magic system made the game much more enjoyable. Admittedly I only played the NES version up to the Garland fight, but I remember hating it. Will be playing through again.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Inspired by the 4JF, I decided to give FFV a run through and now I remember that the older games are way less forgiving than the newer ones. Even though I'm not doing 4JF, I'm pretty pleased that I managed to finish the game.

Well, I say 'finish'. Galuf and Krile have gone home. I'm not following them. Who cares? Everything's worked out fine.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Anybody have some job suggestions for XII International? Like a good first time team. I am sort of anxious about screwing myself up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's hard to screw yourself over with job choices. They might not be optimal, but pretty much any six will give you the tools you need to make it through the game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

White Mage and Black Mage are overall really good though. White Mage has the best healing in the game, with every single White Magic spell. While with the removal of the 9999 Damage cap Black Mage has become the single best damage dealer in the game.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Stoat posted:

I think Tactics is the better game, but I know the iOS version was horribly broken from framerate issues. I haven't played it since launch, so maybe they've fixed that with updates now, but it's definitely worth checking before you commit your dollars.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

CottonWolf posted:

I think Tactics is the better game, but I know the iOS version was horribly broken from framerate issues. I haven't played it since launch, so maybe they've fixed that with updates now, but it's definitely worth checking before you commit your dollars.

In my opinion FFT on the go is absolutely worth the price of a used PSP (I've seen them go for $50 on SA Mart) and the sub $10 price of the game. With the slowdown/lag fix it's the ultimate version of the game.

Edit: Not to mention the dozens of other great games for the system!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ragequit posted:

Edit: Not to mention the dozens of other great games for the system!

As somebody who doesn't even own a PSP, it really is the best system for somebody seeking portable RPGs. Excellent versions of FFT, Tactics Ogre, Persona 2 and 3, Valkyrie Profile, and more as well as a lot of decent original games like Crisis Core.

gently caress, I want a PSP now too.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I started FFXII IZJS using PCSX2, and holy crap this game in 1080p. It is an unbelievable difference.

I've chosen Monk, Black Mage, White Mage and Breaker so far (and Uhlan for Penelo but she doesn't appear on the job board now). Is Brawler (ie. powerup for unarmed license) worth sticking with for the Monk, and ignoring the licenses for poles?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Anybody have some job suggestions for XII International? Like a good first time team. I am sort of anxious about screwing myself up.

I'm going Hunter/Machinist/Archer/WM/BM/Knight. So far so good. Probably the least exotic class choices I could have taken, but it's OK. Machinist is pretty slow and boring though. I was expecting more from Vaan as a Hunter, it's more of a high DPS thief.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Idioteque Dance posted:

I started FFXII IZJS using PCSX2, and holy crap this game in 1080p. It is an unbelievable difference.

I've chosen Monk, Black Mage, White Mage and Breaker so far (and Uhlan for Penelo but she doesn't appear on the job board now). Is Brawler (ie. powerup for unarmed license) worth sticking with for the Monk, and ignoring the licenses for poles?

Get both. Poles are good because they can hit flying enemies, and their damage is reduced by magic defense unlike normal weapons.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Idioteque Dance posted:

How are you forcing the higher res?

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Cyberbob posted:

How are you forcing the higher res?
Choose the SSE2 plugin, click Configure and change the internal resolution. Either scale it up, or ideally (if your PC can handle it) enter your monitor's resolution and run it in full screen.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Speaking of XII, I've been playing Revenant Wings, and... good God. The "story" is fine (for a sequel/handheld RPG), but jesus Christ, whoever thought putting an RTS game on the tiny DS screen would be a good idea deserves to be punched in the face, repeatedly. There's an OK game in here that can't be played because everything is so small and so jumbled together that it's virtually impossible to target what you want on some battles.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

I said come in! posted:

If you've never played FFXI, there's not a lot of point in starting now. The game has some pretty outdated gameplay mechanics, has a very steep learning curving, and is still incredibly time consuming. There are way better MMORPGs to play now, especially ones you don't have to pay for.

Just to offer another perspective on this, if you are a MMORPG Fan there is little to no reason to start FFXI from scratch right now for every reason you've listed.

If, however, you are a Final Fantasy fan, then there is one possible reason to pick it up in that the actual FF-centric bits such as the various expansion storylines are more accessible now then they have ever been at any point in the past. Level caps for all the content are gone, and leveling a specific job is pretty fast now. It would be entirely feasible even going in completely alone to get a character to max level and blow through the various plots in a pretty short amount of time; my personal opinion is that several of the main storylines rank up there with the best of the single-player FF plots and the world-building in general is pretty top-notch.

It's probably still going to be a couple months worth of effort to see everything you would want to see and there will be no escaping some of the irritation FFXI forces on it's players so it obviously won't be for everyone. I would roughly compare it to being the kind of thing that finding and playing FFII, FFIII, and FFV was in the age before North American re-releases happened and those titles were still locked away in Japan.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

So that post is making me want to play FFXI, because I'm a huge FF fanboy and want to just see the story that I've heard is worth playing an MMO for. If I were to try to solo the game just to see storyline, and I don't plan to play regularly (maybe every couple of days for 3-4 hours), how many hours do you think that would take? Like 200? I'd be willing to sink that kind of time in if there were a way to pay by time spent on server rather than monthly, but maybe at like 100 hours I could try to sink the whole FFXI experience in in a three or four month go.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

So that post is making me want to play FFXI, because I'm a huge FF fanboy and want to just see the story that I've heard is worth playing an MMO for. If I were to try to solo the game just to see storyline, and I don't plan to play regularly (maybe every couple of days for 3-4 hours), how many hours do you think that would take? Like 200? I'd be willing to sink that kind of time in if there were a way to pay by time spent on server rather than monthly, but maybe at like 100 hours I could try to sink the whole FFXI experience in in a three or four month go.

It still takes a LOT of time for all the bullshit quests you need to do just to get there. Watch the story on YouTube or read it on ffxiclopedia.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Please don't play MMOs for the story. Content yourself with Shantotto's Dissidia storyline.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, I tried to get into FFXI recently for that very reason. It was a huge waste of time, don't bother.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I really hope that that Let's Play of FFXI over on this place called telebunny.net finishes...FFXI has some really cool stuff from what I've seen of it...it's ridiculous that it's not free to play or something by this point. Or maybe user hosted servers or something.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
Whew, finally caught up with this thread.

Been playing through every Final Fantasy hoping to beat all the ones I haven't yet this year.

I'm trying to get through V & IX while on vacation. I love them both but I feel like their battle systems are the slowest in the series. In V the ATB stops for every action (even on Active mode) and in IX its just the long loading times and animations.

Whatever, though. I'm enjoying them. After those two I still need to go through VIII, X-2, and XIII-2.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Krad posted:

Speaking of XII, I've been playing Revenant Wings, and... good God. The "story" is fine (for a sequel/handheld RPG), but jesus Christ, whoever thought putting an RTS game on the tiny DS screen would be a good idea deserves to be punched in the face, repeatedly. There's an OK game in here that can't be played because everything is so small and so jumbled together that it's virtually impossible to target what you want on some battles.

You'd think SE would've learned after they made and released a horrible, unplayable DS-RTS some years before Revenant Wings, but nooooooooo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Boten Anna posted:

Keep in mind of course that I'm harping on the bullshit annoyances and there ARE redeeming qualities to this game. The zone design is incredible, some of the quests and the actual loss for failure (losing items that are hard to get or expensive on a failed attempt, or experience points, or having to run back through a huge and dangerous area again) have led to some of the most exciting experiences of any game I've played--I'll always remember the summoner trial-size avatar battles and pre-nerf Promivyon Spire quests (these are from an expansion pack and require your party to go through a dangerous area level capped, and it gets harder as you get near the top, where you have to fight a difficult boss) extremely fondly just for how tense and exciting they are in a way that you just don't get from games without the potential to lose anything. In summary, Final Fantasy XI: Final Fantasy Online With Catgirls is Stockholm Syndrome: The Game.

Oh man, back when the expansion came out I used to run Promyvion escorts on Unicorn. Unlike a lot of the folks playing I actually got in there, learned the layout and patrol routes, figured out what aggroed where. Those essences you could get off the trash guys to use on the bosses? I helped figure out what those did. When a LS member wanted to head in we'd form up a team, grab two other parties willing to pay, and I'd get everyone to the boss door safely as long as nobody flinched. Favorite part of the time I played.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Vinchenz posted:

Whew, finally caught up with this thread.

Been playing through every Final Fantasy hoping to beat all the ones I haven't yet this year.

I'm trying to get through V & IX while on vacation. I love them both but I feel like their battle systems are the slowest in the series. In V the ATB stops for every action (even on Active mode) and in IX its just the long loading times and animations.

Whatever, though. I'm enjoying them. After those two I still need to go through VIII, X-2, and XIII-2.

If you don't like slow battles, make sure you never summon a GF ever in ff8. God drat.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

It's not worth the time. I loved the world in FFXI but the story stuff is easily viewed in other spots and the world building isn't worth the slog that the gameplay is. When people say its better they are comparing it to years ago, not modern games. Custom servers (if any exist) would be the games best hope, so you can speed up exp and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FF VII sure forces your party composition a whole lot more often than I remembered. Really kind of wish I'd used my characters more evenly and not just the same three guys all the time.

Turns out, though, Vincent makes a pretty decent mage and not a half bad standard attacker with Deathblow + Added Cut. Also this marks the first time I found a use for Deathblow.