Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

LibbyM posted:

Aigis is amazing. First character that's really clicked with me so far. (I've only tried Teddie, Yukiko, Kanji, and Aigis)

Too bad so many of her normals chew through bullets so fast, even in Orgia mode. Gonna be really tricky to make any headway with her, even in Arcade/Score Attack.

Speaking of which, I'd kind of forgotten what ASW Score Attack modes were like. Ow, my everything :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Brett824 posted:

Most of the matches I find are Japanese people with 0 bar connections for me. I don't know if there's something wrong with my net or settings or something or if there's just no people in America playing online.

I had this issue playing BlazBlue on my J-360. It was the US version, but it would prioritize Japanese players due to my console region.

I'm guessing not many people are having that issue here cuz of the region locking though.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

404GoonNotFound posted:

Speaking of which, I'd kind of forgotten what ASW Score Attack modes were like. Ow, my everything :gonk:

Yeah seriously. I haven't been able to get past level 3 or 4. It doesn't help that they start you off fighting against Sukukaja Yosuke. I can imagine that will scare someone away forever if they are new.

Did anyone beat it? I'd like to know the reward if there is any and how many levels there are.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Too bad so many of her normals chew through bullets so fast, even in Orgia mode. Gonna be really tricky to make any headway with her, even in Arcade/Score Attack.

I haven't had my ammo become too much of an issue yet, but most of the people I've been finding online so far aren't very good (or are having trouble adapting to the currently awful 360 netcode). I also really enjoy managing meter, as dumb as that sounds. And somehow having a second meter to look at makes me happy.

Later on tonight I'm getting together with a few friends to play this game, and that'll be the first chance I get to play it in a real setting. Maybe against skilled players the ammo will start to become a really limiting factor but so far I'm really enjoying Aigis.
On that subject. My pride requires tips for the Yu/Aigis matchup that I know for sure will give me a really hard time because the guy playing Yu adapts to new fighting games super fast.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 9, 2012

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Currently playing through everyone's Story modes to see if any characters really click with me. So far I'm enjoying Chie and I want SO BADLY to like Kanji but his piss-poor mobility is really bringing me down.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Dogbutt posted:

So is there a specific order I should do all the story modes? I mean like, what would make the story mode more interesting?

The way I'm going is initial 4, then the rest of the Investigation Team, then SEEs.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

The way I'm going is initial 4, then the rest of the Investigation Team, then SEEs.

Actually, as far as I can tell, the best way is to do 3 (you probably want to do one of the first 4, one of the other 3, and then a SEES member), and then play Labrys, because all of the rest say "to be continued" until you finish Labrys's.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Cityinthesea posted:

Actually, as far as I can tell, the best way is to do 3 (you probably want to do one of the first 4, one of the other 3, and then a SEES member), and then play Labrys, because all of the rest say "to be continued" until you finish Labrys's.

Huh...welp. Looks like I'm going to have to go through everyone again. :downs:

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
This is the first online fighting game I've ever played, and I'm getting absolutely wrecked in ranked matches. It's a fun pain, though.

My biggest problem is that the 360 controller's stick and D-pad are both giving me lots of trouble with pulling 236/214 motions. Does anybody have any modestly-priced, entry-level arcade stick recommendations?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my god, Chie has a Blue Three poster on her wall.

Wonder which person on the staff threw that in there, because that is amazing. Kermit the Frog's amidst the stuffed animals, too. And maybe Pac-Man by the TV. But the Blue Three poster is the best, holy poo poo.

E: Oh Jesus Christ Chie is awful!

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 9, 2012

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh my god, Chie has a Blue Three poster on her wall.

Wonder which person on the staff threw that in there, because that is amazing. Kermit the Frog's amidst the stuffed animals, too. And maybe Pac-Man by the TV. But the Blue Three poster is the best, holy poo poo.

My favorite detail is that Yosuke's room has Teddie's Alice outfit hanging up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was getting regularly tossed in online matches until I just sat for a bit with a character of choice (in my case Labrys) in the challenge mode and just really practiced like, one simple combo.

I'm still not very good but being able to pull something flashier than the simple combo spam helps just enough.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Hey guys a new fighting game is out which means I gotta make/post videos!

Here's a combo I made up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDVhHITzWZk

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

The Chairman posted:

This is the first online fighting game I've ever played, and I'm getting absolutely wrecked in ranked matches. It's a fun pain, though.

My biggest problem is that the 360 controller's stick and D-pad are both giving me lots of trouble with pulling 236/214 motions. Does anybody have any modestly-priced, entry-level arcade stick recommendations?

Mad Catz fight SF4 fight stick, carried in many fine game establishments

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

ShooterHeart1CC posted:

Did anyone beat it? I'd like to know the reward if there is any and how many levels there are.

Rumor has it that you unlock one of the Navigators for beating it with one character and another for beating it with everyone. But seeing as how I hit a wall at level 3... no fuckin' idea.

The Chairman posted:

If you can handle a bit of embarassing art Amazon has a special on the Brawl Stick, which is pretty much the same thing as the SE stick that came out along with Street Fighter IV. You'll want to get the actual joystick replaced with a proper Sanwa part sooner than later, but other than that it's perfectly capable.

Of course, Madcatz almost always has one coupon code or another up around the time of major tournaments if you watch the streams. Hell, they're doing a launch party for P4A tonight on Wednesday Night Fights, you might get lucky if they have a twitter contest or something.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 9, 2012

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Finally got my hands on this, and drat this game is so smooth.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
I tried a game on 360 netcode and jesus christ it was horrible. The netcode patch can't come soon enough. I'll probably just try to do every challenge in the meantime.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Finally got it, and, holy poo poo, this may be up there with the greats for me. I've never been TOO much of a fighting game player, mainly because I'm uncoordinated as all hell, but I've still played most every recent big one, and I would have to say this probably one of the most fun I've had in a while. Chie is especially awesome, and all the animations and voice work really add it for me.
Quick question, though. Are there any character story modes playable without major spoilers?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

Huh...welp. Looks like I'm going to have to go through everyone again. :downs:

Actually, once you get to finish the others you can just continue from where it ended originally.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Now that i'm playing her labrys is actually a lot of fun, how the hell do you play this character besides mashing on her DP and doing autocombo? I've noticed that her persona normals are all projectiles, I feel like that and her spike could lead to some serious setups.

quote:

Quick question, though. Are there any character story modes playable without major spoilers?
Nope, they spoil pretty much every single moment/character interaction in persona 3/4.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
What's up with arcade mode? I got the achivement for "beating" it with one character, but it ended just as they were leaving and Labrys was going to (story spoilers) get controlled by Eerie Voice/Malevolent Entity or something I assume; do I need to play it on a higher difficulty?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cityinthesea posted:

What's up with arcade mode? I got the achivement for "beating" it with one character, but it ended just as they were leaving and Labrys was going to (story spoilers) get controlled by Eerie Voice/Malevolent Entity or something I assume; do I need to play it on a higher difficulty?

Nope, it's pretty much just an abbreviated Story Mode where 50% of the fights are randomized (1, 4, 6 and 8 are pre-determined for each character).

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh right, now I remember why training/challenge modes in fighters are horseshit. They expect you to pull off absurd 1-frame link BS that no normal-rear end player with a gamepad's going to be able to pull off with any kind of regularity.

Now I remember why I stopped bothering with SF4's stupid-rear end training mode. It doesn't actually train you how to do anything and in fact only makes you loathe trying to do stuff like that! Most of the people you fight online are gonna mash, so gently caress this noise. I don't care what you unlock for doing this. There's no way in hell I'm doing all these. At 20 on Naoto's and I already wanna strangle the developers.

Jump and hit A-Y-A-Y-B, yeah that's just shy of completely loving impossible. Been trying for over five minutes and I haven't gotten past the second hit one god drat time. Oh wait, that's because by that time you loving land!

Nope.

E: Hahahaha, these can't be done by normal loving humans. Looked at some of the later ones. But even 23 is loving nigh impossible. Go from a five-button mash to busting out a double hadoken motion. Yeah that isn't gonna be happening, game. Eat poo poo.

Oh wait, fighting game snob thread. Right. Sorry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
They're called challenges for a reason. They're supposed to be hard.

The Hater
Aug 4, 2007

Friday Friday in the club on Friday, we we we so excited

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh right, now I remember why training/challenge modes in fighters are horseshit. They expect you to pull off absurd 1-frame link BS that no normal-rear end player with a gamepad's going to be able to pull off with any kind of regularity.

Now I remember why I stopped bothering with SF4's stupid-rear end training mode. It doesn't actually train you how to do anything and in fact only makes you loathe trying to do stuff like that! Most of the people you fight online are gonna mash, so gently caress this noise. I don't care what you unlock for doing this. There's no way in hell I'm doing all these. At 20 on Naoto's and I already wanna strangle the developers.

Jump and hit A-Y-A-Y-B, yeah that's just shy of completely loving impossible. Been trying for over five minutes and I haven't gotten past the second hit one god drat time. Oh wait, that's because by that time you loving land!

Nope.

I can't do it, it must be impossible! This game is beary bad!

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

ChibiSoma posted:

Nope.

You know this game has double jumps, right?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

ChibiSoma posted:

Nope.

Press up again after that first Y.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention I think it has super jumps. And also the fact that players online are going to mash doesn't mean knowing combos is pointless.

Like, if you only wanna mash, cool, but don't act like it's loving impossible and the developers are stupid for including stuff to teach you how to do ridiculous combos.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ChibiSoma is terrible in every single thread he posts in and has some kind of Brain Problem that makes it impossible for him to recognize that. At least he hasn't started calling for women to be tortured to death this time.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

ChibiSoma posted:

Nope.

E: Hahahaha, these can't be done by normal loving humans. Looked at some of the later ones. But even 23 is loving nigh impossible. Go from a five-button mash to busting out a double hadoken motion. Yeah that isn't gonna be happening, game. Eat poo poo.

Fighting games aren't for you. Sorry you wasted money on a fighting game. Don't get mad in this thread maybe stop buying/playing fighting games.

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...
^^Yeah, that.

ChibiSoma posted:

Nope.

Five whole minutes for a brand new game, huh. RIP your money

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

ChibiSoma posted:

lol

Don't buy fighting games if you're going to complain about an optional challenge mode.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Maining Teddie and I'm already scared of every Kanji I run into online. Once he lands a dive grab attack it's pretty much round over for me if I don't have Burst available.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
It's official, Chie has the best Story Mode.

"A prize, like a championship belt! But it's made of STEAK!"
:allears:

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

404GoonNotFound posted:

It's official, Chie has the best Story Mode.

"A prize, like a championship belt! But it's made of STEAK!"
:allears:

Not even close to the best.

That's how good the others are. Specifically Elizabeth.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Teslavi posted:

Not even close to the best.

That's how good the others are. Specifically Elizabeth.

Can it really be that glue... glue? Flu? Influenza? :pseudo:

God it's been too long. I can't believe it's been 4 years since P4.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

darealkooky posted:

Now that i'm playing her labrys is actually a lot of fun, how the hell do you play this character besides mashing on her DP and doing autocombo?

I hate to quote myself but I feel like it got ignored in the wake of that other guy.

I just played someone in a velma-colored chie with glasses, that's hilarious.

hyung
Jul 22, 2012
Naoto is so fun to play, but doing her combos are pretty difficult. I played a team in Marvel 3 that was based around Nova, so doing her loop is pretty drat fun (Fly, unfly; Aim, unaim). Shame that it's difficult for me to find a game with good latency. I'm not sure if it's my modem loving everything up, since there should be a decent amount of players on the west coast.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

I hate to quote myself but I feel like it got ignored in the wake of that other guy.

I just played someone in a velma-colored chie with glasses, that's hilarious.

Peep this:

http://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv/b/327725904?t=107m05s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
6 hours later and I still have not managed to beat an online Kanji with Teddie. Got close once or twice though.

• Locked thread