Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

MY ANIME GF posted:

shoot lasers at kanji and kill his robot

Gundam that poo poo. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

PunkBoy posted:

My current title is "Master of Rainy Day Beef Bowl." Truly the manliest. :kamina:

Is there one called "Master of the Meat Dimension?" I have to know :dance:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
How the titles work is the game gives you GIGANTIC (unlockable) list of 1-2 word long fragments, and you can stick three of em together in any order you want (you can also leave spots blank)

it's a really excellent feature, especially since it has everything you could ever want

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I saw a guy with the xbox tag "bare bear hands" and the title "I'm barehanded".

I'm really digging Labrys too now. Robots4life. I'm thinking of giving Elizabeth a try, but I don't want to stretch myself to thin learning to many characters at once.

Since I'm using Labrys and Aigis I really want to get the title "authentic high school robot" I have high school and Authentic. I assume robot is in there somewhere to be unlocked.(at random?)

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 10, 2012

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPWTGt042YI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXvwF5cIOPc
Here's the matches I played on stream before I had to catch the bus home :( I DQed myself in losers after losing the second game.

Also my title is currently Amazing Heck Hog.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

darealkooky posted:

How the titles work is the game gives you GIGANTIC (unlockable) list of 1-2 word long fragments, and you can stick three of em together in any order you want (you can also leave spots blank)

it's a really excellent feature, especially since it has everything you could ever want

Is there a funky student in there? maybe a riddle brother (I don't have live at the moment)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
For my Kanji bros, there's a pretty good series showing off some highly practical combos from just about every position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0qTRhWWZWE

You can see the rest of them here:

http://shoryuken.com/2012/08/09/persona-4-arena-practical-kanji-tatsumi-combo-tutorial/

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Not sure how much of this is official, but I found a partial unlock list for Navigators:

code:
Fuuka - Complete 250 matches in Online Mode
Mitsuru - Complete all of a single character's challenges
Nanako - Play 50 hours in match time
Teddie - Complete Story Mode
Yosuke - Perform 1,000 Instant Kills
No idea how to unlock Aigis though, or whether Nanako's match time only counts Versus and Online or all modes (short of Story I guess).

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 10, 2012

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I only have Mitsuru, Akihiko, Chie, and Yukiko left to do in the story mode. After that, I plan to start honing my skills so I can play online without looking like a gigantic dufus with every attack. I guess so far that Naoto and Yosuke are some of my "best" in terms of playstyle, but I also really like playing as Elizabeth because all of her animations are so chill.

Ending Spoiler poo poo Talk:

So, that voice introduced at the end of Labrys's story, the one that sounds like Crispin Freeman. Think that may have been Philemon/Nyarlathotep? He often lends his voice to Philemon in the Persona series. My other guess is that it was solely the work of the Mysterious Perpetrator of the whole plot.

Regardless, I'm thrilled to see the team back together! :dance:

Elizabeth Spoilers: Oh my god. That whole story was like a love letter to Persona 3. Can't wait to see where things go from there. Go, Liz!

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I haven't unlocked many of the options for titles so I'm rolling with Illustrious Nurse Shower. :flashfap:

I started playing Elizabeth online and I've received so much rage mail as a result, including a rape threat.

I played against a terrifying Naoto. She seems vulnerable once she takes her firing stance but man it is not so simple.

My friend has been beasting as Kanji so I'm probably going to pick him up in order to learn the matchup. Not my kind of character as a main, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Satorr posted:

I started playing Elizabeth online and I've received so much rage mail as a result, including a rape threat.

At this point the main reason I wouldn't want to pick this game up is because of the fetid poo poo-pit that is the average fighting game community. It's hard going if you don't find stuff like the above amusing.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Oxxidation posted:

At this point the main reason I wouldn't want to pick this game up is because of the fetid poo poo-pit that is the average fighting game community. It's hard going if you don't find stuff like the above amusing.

Pretty sure you will see the same poo poo in any online game where someone is the loser.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

Pretty sure you will see the same poo poo in any online game where someone is the loser.

Nah. Most shooters just have free-for-all slurs at all times, and niche games like Dark Souls might end up with congratulations or maybe a sparkly naked dance party. Fighters are the only games where I've had people screaming their lungs out even as they were beating me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Trust me, I've definitely gotten awful poo poo in shooters. Like, more than I've gotten in fighting games.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yosuke - Perform 1,000 Instant Kills

Even if you can sit there and hit a dummy in training mode over and over this is insane. It sounds like 5 hours of just instant kills. The 50 hour match time sounds pretty crazy, too. But I guess if you play online a whole lot it could happen eventually. That's 1000 matches assuming they last 3 minutes, which we know they don't. If these two are true I'm just gonna assume they really want people buying those navigators.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
For Nanako, wouldn't it be possible to set the match time to infinite and just leave it on for hours on end? It doesn't say whether it's online only or if you can do versus or something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It would but I don't think many people would be fans of leaving their consoles on forever to get a dumb navigator.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pro unlocking Mewtwo in melee strats.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cityinthesea posted:

For Nanako, wouldn't it be possible to set the match time to infinite and just leave it on for hours on end? It doesn't say whether it's online only or if you can do versus or something.

Well if you set it up at night it would take still take about 7 days to unlock. And that's if you got 8 hours per night like an average, well-adjust person, which we all know most goons/gamers aren't.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Sure, I was just wondering; I think Nanako commentary would be funny, but I'm not THAT dedicated.

but I've seen different lists on how to get them; Mitsuru and Teddie are locks, but I've heard that you have to beat arcade on hell mode for Nanako and complete score attack mode with 7 characters for her.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Well keep in mind it's ASW. Weren't Kliff & Justice in GGXX like 70 hours?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
However you unlocked them, it was a pain in the rear end. Unlocking everything in that game was terrible, you pretty much had to play through everybody's story mode with every path iirc.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still remember GGXX's extra challenges and BBCS' score attacks. Literally the worst times I had unlocking something.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Any general tips for playing as Yosuke? I thought I was doing alright with him, and then I got my rear end handed to me repeatedly online. I know I need to practice his aerial stuff more, but anything that might give me an idea on where to focus?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Wow, the execution requirements for this game are pretty tight. It is illustrating my flailing nature spectacularly.

XBL: OhGodKillerBees

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Finally getting some of Akihiko's actual combos down, but the more I use him the more I'm worried that I just won't be able to open people up when they learn to block. I should probably just learn Chie or Yu on the side so I won't have to pray for 5C/j.C counterhits a month from now.

Artix74 posted:

Any general tips for playing as Yosuke? I thought I was doing alright with him, and then I got my rear end handed to me repeatedly online. I know I need to practice his aerial stuff more, but anything that might give me an idea on where to focus?

From what I know his main advantages are from staying right outside of poke range, then using his mobilty and his own very fast pokes to abuse the other player during a neutral game, or setting up very dangerous crossups on oki. His high-low game isn't that dependable since his overhead is kinda slow and easy to telegraph, but his air mobility is second to none so he can really set up crossup shenanigans for days.

Also don't be afraid to autocombo if you really don't have anything else up your sleeve, easy damage is better than no damage!

VVVVVV My PSN is otte, if you want to play sometime tomorrow (warning: I'm still getting used to the controls for this game)

Hace fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 10, 2012

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Does anyone play this on PS3?

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Oxxidation posted:

Nah. Most shooters just have free-for-all slurs at all times, and niche games like Dark Souls might end up with congratulations or maybe a sparkly naked dance party. Fighters are the only games where I've had people screaming their lungs out even as they were beating me.

Yep. FPS often generate a lot of poo poo talk, but I think it's the worst with fighters because it's a one-on-one match, therefore more personal.

I play Vega in AE and frankly I often get the upper hand because people aren't that used to fighting him, compared to shotos and what have you, so I've had people go absolutely nuclear on the mic. Best ever was back during the Super days...a Sagat player who would just alternate between full-screen high and low tiger shots then mash tiger uppercut and tiger knee whenever I got closer than half screen. Once I figured out his habits and started getting the upper hand he started swearing sharply under his breath. From there he slowly got louder and more furious, but then I dizzied him and for the rest of the match he just screamed "friend of the family" at the top of his lungs on repeat, hardly taking a breath. It was special.

Anyway back to Persona.

I am digging all the screen control I can do with Elizabeth's persona. Air C is pretty good as an air to air, and standing C is great to send out even from a distance because at this point people instinctively try to attack it. But then you just do crouch C and it bursts them back.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Hace posted:

From what I know his main advantages are from staying right outside of poke range, then using his mobilty and his own very fast pokes to abuse the other player during a neutral game, or setting up very dangerous crossups on oki. His high-low game isn't that dependable since his overhead is kinda slow and easy to telegraph, but his air mobility is second to none so he can really set up crossup shenanigans for days.

Also don't be afraid to autocombo if you really don't have anything else up your sleeve, easy damage is better than no damage!

See, this is the sort of thing you can't learn just by playing Story mode and dicking around in arcade. Good to know, I'll go back to the drawing board and work on my Yosuke game.

Good matches, by the way. I have no idea how the gently caress I pulled off that kill on our last match, first round.

hyung
Jul 22, 2012
I don't know why, but I seriously cannot join any games whatsoever. Every room has a connection that's rated 0 or 1 bars. I have the DMZ mode enabled on my router, and I have even tried directly connecting my PS3 into the modem to no avail. I'm not sure if my internet simply isn't fast enough to play this game, or if I'm not being matched with anyone from the USA. At this point I may consider returning the game because I literally can't play anyone.

I have the 2WIRE 2701HG-B modem with a 3mbps/.5mbps plan from AT&T, and I live in California.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Does anyone play this on PS3?

I do.

hyung posted:

I don't know why, but I seriously cannot join any games whatsoever. Every room has a connection that's rated 0 or 1 bars. I have the DMZ mode enabled on my router, and I have even tried directly connecting my PS3 into the modem to no avail. I'm not sure if my internet simply isn't fast enough to play this game, or if I'm not being matched with anyone from the USA. At this point I may consider returning the game because I literally can't play anyone.

I have the 2WIRE 2701HG-B modem with a 3mbps/.5mbps plan from AT&T, and I live in California.

I have had a few periods of a few minutes where I can't connect to a match, but it always suddenly ends and I then get tons of results. Also, I've done some quick matches and gotten stuck with some 1 bar and 2 bar folks and they've been smooth as butter. I don't think the game is displaying connection quality properly yet.

Just early kinks still needing to be ironed out.

Over all though, netcode has been very, very nice. I am pleased.

blue font
Feb 28, 2011
Kinda bummed that there doesn't seem to be a way to set fight music for ranked matches. I want to rock Mass Destruction 24/7 :|

I am very bad at this game and my muscle memory keeps making me play this game like it's Marvel. One of these days I'll realize that upback doesn't work too well in this game.

Despite getting my poo poo kicked in this game still manages to be a lot of fun.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Grimace posted:

I only have Mitsuru, Akihiko, Chie, and Yukiko left to do in the story mode. After that, I plan to start honing my skills so I can play online without looking like a gigantic dufus with every attack. I guess so far that Naoto and Yosuke are some of my "best" in terms of playstyle, but I also really like playing as Elizabeth because all of her animations are so chill.

Ending Spoiler poo poo Talk:

So, that voice introduced at the end of Labrys's story, the one that sounds like Crispin Freeman. Think that may have been Philemon/Nyarlathotep? He often lends his voice to Philemon in the Persona series. My other guess is that it was solely the work of the Mysterious Perpetrator of the whole plot.

Regardless, I'm thrilled to see the team back together! :dance:

Elizabeth Spoilers: Oh my god. That whole story was like a love letter to Persona 3. Can't wait to see where things go from there. Go, Liz!

I'm terrible at fighters and it's keeping me from buying this game but man now I'm curious to know what you mean with Liz :negative:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Oh god my inner completionist is flipping poo poo at all the text choices Yu has. I am setting bookmarks like crazy. :gonk:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm terrible at fighters and it's keeping me from buying this game but man now I'm curious to know what you mean with Liz :negative:

If you really want to know but don't currently have the money to spend on the game, I can sum up the basis of what happens in Elizabeth's plotline.

Her story starts off with her battling Erebus, trying to find a way to destroy it for eternity. Since the events of P3, she has decided to end her employment as an attendant of the Velvet Room and live and experience life for herself, thanks to the influence of the Main Character. After taking down Erebus, she notices an extremely large disturbance from the location of the P-1 Grand Prix and recognizes how many of the inhabitants are Persona users, some even being owners of the Wild Card. She runs into Aigis and they have a silly little reunion/skirmish before she goes to the Announcement Room to confront Labrys, the cause of the situation. Yu Narukami is also there, and after she dispatches Labrys's Shadow, she asks to fight Yu so that she might understand the power of the Wild Card better. She believes that the key to gaining the strength to destroy Erebus lies within the Wild Card. After she defeats Yu, his friends run behind him and, spurred on by their support, he asks Elizabeth to fight him again. It is at that point that Elizabeth realizes that those who hold the Wild Card aren't strong because of the power they are given, but also because of the bonds they have formed through their journey. Taking this knowledge, she returns to the depths of the soul and happens in front of the Door to Erebus that P3MC sealed. She intends to continue finding a way to release him from his bonds, and when she finds this resolution, she is presented with a tarot card of the Fool, signifying that she has gained the Wild Card. She then walks off to begin her adventure. After that, a lot of the still-images during the credits scene are taken directly from P3, including the main character as he uses the power of the Universe to perform the Great Seal. It's a great sign of things to come.

Sorry for the huge wall of black spoiler text, but I really want to talk about this with people. The biggest reason I've been waiting for this game's release isn't for the gameplay, but for the story aspect. I just gush a lot over this series. That said, I do want to encourage as many people as possible to buy this game. It's quality all around.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

The Grimace posted:

Sorry for the huge wall of black spoiler text, but I really want to talk about this with people. The biggest reason I've been waiting for this game's release isn't for the gameplay, but for the story aspect. I just gush a lot over this series. That said, I do want to encourage as many people as possible to buy this game. It's quality all around.

While I certainly didnt want this game for the story, Im pretty impressed with how good and Persona-esque the whole story mode is. I always fired their whole 'Its canon!' line was for no reason but to rope in the RPG fans, but it really does feel like a bridging-the-gap type of sequel.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
I find it pretty amazing that in a game titled "Persona 4 Arena" I never see anyone online using Persona 4 characters.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Can you really blame anyone though? Youve got

Robot girl with missiles and gunarms and poo poo

Schoolgirl robot with rocket axe and may or may not be personal friends with Satan himself

Manliness personified

Skintight leather dominatrix

Johnny Yong Bosh shooting lightning is cool and all, but not gun arm robot cool

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I find it pretty amazing that in a game titled "Persona 4 Arena" I never see anyone online using Persona 4 characters.

Can you really blame people? The P4 cast all have pretty mean/embarrassing titles, but the non-P4 guys got off pretty much scott free. Fix your game atlus :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Kanji's title is rad, take that back :colbert:

Also, calling Aigis heartless is mean as hell.

• Locked thread