Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WelpEcho
Sep 12, 2006
Is there a reason this game's movement is so jerky? My fps is fine and my computer should be able to handle everything fine, but whenever Geralt starts running it looks like he's warping or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

ItheWelp87 posted:

Is there a reason this game's movement is so jerky? My fps is fine and my computer should be able to handle everything fine, but whenever Geralt starts running it looks like he's warping or something.

Try turning off Motion Blur?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I have a question about choosing paths for my first playthrough: I've heard Iorveth's path sheds light on a few more things than Roche's, and I was planning on going with Roche first anyway. Unfortunately, from hanging out with my brother while he was playing this, I know (MAJOR IORVETH SPOILER)the dragon is a lady, maybe the elf lady that Iorveth is talking about being a fit for the crown. Is this something that will put a damper on playing Roche's side first, since I kind of have a feel for part of Iorveth's plot already?

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

GloomMouse posted:

Try turning off Motion Blur?

This. Motion blur and the depth of field options tend to cause a bit of stutter for some people.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Tender Bender posted:

I have a question about choosing paths for my first playthrough: I've heard Iorveth's path sheds light on a few more things than Roche's, and I was planning on going with Roche first anyway. Unfortunately, from hanging out with my brother while he was playing this, I know (MAJOR IORVETH SPOILER)the dragon is a lady, maybe the elf lady that Iorveth is talking about being a fit for the crown. Is this something that will put a damper on playing Roche's side first, since I kind of have a feel for part of Iorveth's plot already?
Knowing that (though you don't know quite everything there. Much of it, but not quite everything) shouldn't impact a Roche Path experience at all, really.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

ItheWelp87 posted:

Turning ON vsync solved a lot of jitter for me.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
I heard that playing with a 360 controller is better than with KB+M, but the controller sensitivity is way too high and there are no in-game ways to reduce it. Has anyone else run into this problem and solved it?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Newbie here, picked this game up awhile back and just started playing for real a couple months back. Loving it so far, but one thing that stumped me for awhile was arm wrestling. This should probably go in the OP:

If you use a kb+m control setup, you don't ever need to press a button for arm wrestling, just move the mouse side to side to keep it in the zone.

Also, when you beat some of the opponents they use the sound clip that the guy from Doom makes when he gets hit. Nostalgic!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Captain Walker posted:

Newbie here, picked this game up awhile back and just started playing for real a couple months back. Loving it so far, but one thing that stumped me for awhile was arm wrestling. This should probably go in the OP:

If you use a kb+m control setup, you don't ever need to press a button for arm wrestling, just move the mouse side to side to keep it in the zone.

Also, when you beat some of the opponents they use the sound clip that the guy from Doom makes when he gets hit. Nostalgic!

Good idea! Added it to the second post.

Coughing Hobo posted:

6) Are you on the PC? Are you struggling to defeat even the weakest of weaklings when it comes to arm wrestling? Well, stop working your rear end off like a stagecoach! Use your mouse, as all you have to do is keep the icon in the zone! It is literally 7.3 times easier with a mouse than a controller.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
I've been using a controller and all I have to do to beat people at arm wrestling is casually push the control stick from side to side, which sounds like the same thing, and I haven't had any trouble so far.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
While I'm here, there's no way to get rid of that goofy-rear end tattoo that you get from the Blue Stripes in Act 1, is there? Triss mentioned a potion but I think she was pulling my leg.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Captain Walker posted:

While I'm here, there's no way to get rid of that goofy-rear end tattoo that you get from the Blue Stripes in Act 1, is there? Triss mentioned a potion but I think she was pulling my leg.

No, actually you have to get those ingedrients for her, the alchemist in the outskirt village sells them.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I do not condone this course of action.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Coughing Hobo posted:

I do not condone this course of action.

Knowing this game there will be a tangential benefit down the line to keeping the drat thing.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Zackarotto posted:

I've been using a controller and all I have to do to beat people at arm wrestling is casually push the control stick from side to side, which sounds like the same thing, and I haven't had any trouble so far.

I also use a controller, and I find the arm wrestling to be pretty easy. Tap the stick a few times and collect money. Might be a little harder in the last chapter, dunno.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm sorry if this issue has been covered before, but are there any FoV tools that work with the game? The FoV for the 16:10 aspect ratio is way too narrow. It feels like I'm playing Dead Space or something.

edit: vvv yeah, the view while in combat is just fine. I really do hate how you can't zoom in or out at all when you're not fighting anything though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 9, 2012

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

GreatGreen posted:

I'm sorry if this issue has been covered before, but are there any FoV tools that work with the game? The FoV for the 16:10 aspect ratio is way too narrow. It feels like I'm playing Dead Space or something.

Unfortunately, none that I know of. The game sort of dynamically adjusts the FOV on the fly. Hiking around kind of sucks, but things zoom out pretty comfortably in combat, when it's most important.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Looks like we're geting modding tools!

quote:

CD Projekt RED will be attending this years Gamescom which takes place in Cologne, Germany next week. We will be hosting a series of behind closed doors, exclusive media presentations where we will be showing the REDkit, a long-awaited set of tools for modders which will allow any player to create their own content for the PC version of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, such as new, non-linear adventures, great looking locations and much more. CD Projekt RED’s recruitment team will also be present in Cologne so make sure to stop by the E60 booth in Hall 10 and have a look at our most recent job openings. Everyone who’s planning on beginning their journey in the game development industry, should come by and see what are the requirements to join our studio.

http://www.thewitcher.com/community/entry/275

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I think I'm still on act 1, (I'm currently Trying to lift the blood curse for Henselt ), and I don't know what to spend my time and money on as far as equipment. I was wandering around and got a kickass steel sword, and I can buy the plans for an upgraded robust silver sword. Should I, or should I wait it out? Also, is Seltkirk's Armor worth upgrading, or am I going to get a better set soon?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Red Crown posted:

I think I'm still on act 1, (I'm currently Trying to lift the blood curse for Henselt ), and I don't know what to spend my time and money on as far as equipment. I was wandering around and got a kickass steel sword, and I can buy the plans for an upgraded robust silver sword. Should I, or should I wait it out? Also, is Seltkirk's Armor worth upgrading, or am I going to get a better set soon?

You're in Act II actually. I usually craft one of the Robust meteorite swords (usually red) at the start of the act. I'd hold off on upgrading that armor (or at least save any +2 enhancements you have) Dethmold is going to give you some nice armor before you have to cross the mist to Vergen..

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 10, 2012

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Red Crown posted:

I'd just wait on upgrading the armor, though there's no reason you couldn't use some of the more common upgrades on it. The Draug armor plans are of questionable worth cause you can't build it until Act 3 and by the time you make it to a craftsmen you will have several other armors available. It's an ok choice if you don't have the Vran armor available via the Mystic River quest or can't find the Armor of Ysgilith. I'd go ahead and upgrade your swords as soon as you can. You can also loot some decent swords to use in this act, but I believe they won't be available until later on.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Red Crown posted:

Seltkirk's Armor worth upgrading, or am I going to get a better set soon?

You'll be getting better soon but there is no really reason not to upgrade it, you dont really need to worry about "wasting" armor upgrades since if you buy the diamond armor reinforcement diagram you can make one of the best armor upgrades relatively easy .

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Every single mod I make will involve trolls in some way.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lycus posted:

Knowing that (though you don't know quite everything there. Much of it, but not quite everything) shouldn't impact a Roche Path experience at all, really.

Thanks for the quick response, I picked Roche's path and quite enjoyed it. Just finished Chapter II.

You didn't, however, mention an important thing that does impact a Roche Path experience: Odriiiiiin! OOOOOOdriiiiiiiin!

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is the "hard" difficulty in this game harder than the same option for the previous game? I'm getting my rear end kicked. Can't get past the tutorial.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Opus125 posted:

Is the "hard" difficulty in this game harder than the same option for the previous game? I'm getting my rear end kicked. Can't get past the tutorial.

The tutorial as in the arena fight? That fight evaluates your skill level and suggests a combat difficulty for you, and it's normal for you to be struck down during it. If you're talking about the Prologue, then I'd just suggest turning down the difficulty until you've got a better feel for the techniques. Witcher 2 is a bit like Ninja Gaiden in that you'll struggle through the early bosses on your first playthrough, only to blow past them on a replay.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 11, 2012

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Well, just beat this. What a hell of a game. I had previously played (and reasonably enjoyed) Mass Effect 2, and was going to play 3 next, but the writing and plotting in Witcher 2 just blows that series out of the water and doesn't really make me want to touch another RPG for a while.

Some postmortem thoughts:

- It's funny to still be avoiding spoilers for a game I just beat. I've already moused over some things in this thread that I wish I hadn't, but oh well. Can't wait to try out Iorveth's path!

- I wish the world map wasn't in gibberish. It took about half the game before I figured out which countries were where and what exactly the political situation was.

- I see people posting with a lot more information on the Wild Hunt and its origins: Is that from the books or is there ingame information I missed? It was largely confusing and the most information I got about it were a few not-even-sidequests and that conversation you have at the end of the game.

[Roche Path Spoilers]
Chapter II started off REALLY slowly, probably the low point of the game for me, but once the main plot got going I was really into it. I think it's because I am an RPG completionist and hate missing things, so that initial "Get to a new area, explore/loot/talk to everything and everyone so you don't miss anything." grind was kind of dull because I spent a while running around not really doing much and the area itself (a camp in a rocky field) didn't have a whole lot to offer me.

I let Henselt live... he's a prick but killing him just didn't seem right. Geralt was in this whole situation because he was framed for killing a king, killing one for real seemed like a bad idea (and wouldn't bode well for my buddy Roche's future, most likely). Also it would be playing right into the Assassins' hands.

Holy hell Roche's dispatching of Dethmold was amazing. Literally cutting his balls off, stuffing them in his mouth, and slicing his throat. I actually felt bad for the guy. And I'm really glad I went with Roche to save the girl. I was considering saving Triss at the end, figuring Roche could handle himself, but reading on how things go for him if you choose Triss made me glad I stuck with my decision. Even if it did get all those mages killed :(

In case you couldn't tell, I really love Roche, he's such a great straight man to Geralt's... straight man? The following exchange pretty much sealed the deal and left me with no regrets for choosing him over Iorveth:
Ves holding a baby: Hey guys!
Roche: What? Where did that baby come from?
Geralt: It's Moril's.
Roche: Who?
Poor guy just presses onward despite having no idea what's going on, he just rolls with it. See also the battle of Vergen, where he falls through a bridge while running, and without breaking stride, as though he expected to fall, somersaults, punches a soldier in the face, and just keeps running.

I would totally watch Blue Stripes: Temerian Outlaws, a buddy show chronicling Geralt and Roche's adventures across the land.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 12, 2012

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tender Bender posted:

See also the battle of Vergen, where he falls through a bridge while running, and without breaking stride, as though he expected to fall, somersaults, punches a soldier in the face, and just keeps running.

I love his,"gently caress!" line as this happens, it's perfect.

Yeah on my first playthrough I thought Roche was a bit of an rear end in a top hat and went with Iorveth (who was also an rear end in a top hat but had a better cause). My second playthrough I really grew to appreciate Roche as a character, I came to think of him and Geralt as medieval bros :)

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

[Roche Path Spoilers]
And I'm really glad I went with Roche to save the girl. I was considering saving Triss at the end, figuring Roche could handle himself, but reading on how things go for him if you choose Triss made me glad I stuck with my decision. Even if it did get all those mages killed :(

A thing I found kinda funny/awesome is if you side with Triss it is heavily implied that Roche wiped out the entire Kaedweni camp by himself.
And given how much you like Roche you'll be happy to know that he is still your bro on Iorveths path.

quote:

I would totally watch Blue Stripes: Temerian Outlaws, a buddy show chronicling Geralt and Roche's adventures across the land.
I always kinda envisioned a Roche/Thaler buddy cop flick.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Tender Bender posted:

- I see people posting with a lot more information on the Wild Hunt and its origins: Is that from the books or is there ingame information I missed? It was largely confusing and the most information I got about it were a few not-even-sidequests and that conversation you have at the end of the game.
Which part did you feel like you didn't get during gameplay? The latter flashbacks along with Geralt and Letho's conversation explain that when they finally encountered the Wild Hunt, they discovered that the specters aren't actual "ghosts", but projections that are controlled by an unknown race of elves. When you pick up the ancient sword during the gargoyle quest in Act 3, you hear the memories of one of the members of this race that explains that these elves come from another world.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 12, 2012

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
Just started a new game on black difficulty. Got to Flotsam and having fun and I just have to say i forgot how god dam good looking this game is. Colour, textures, animation and environments are so gorgeous. One year on and it's still miles ahead of anything else.

In my last game I did up to the Yorveth/Roach choice and went with the elf. Time constraints stopped me finishing it but now I fancy doing Flotsam and then siding with Roache, is there a decent amount of content I haven't yet seen if I go this route to justify doing all of Flotsam again?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

In my last game I did up to the Yorveth/Roach choice and went with the elf. Time constraints stopped me finishing it but now I fancy doing Flotsam and then siding with Roache, is there a decent amount of content I haven't yet seen if I go this route to justify doing all of Flotsam again?

Have you lost your saves? If you have one towards the end of Flotsam (and you're satisfied with your prologue choices), I'd start there, since I don't recall any massive branches before the choice of whether or not to give Iorveth his sword. I'd recommend finishing the Iorveth path if you can, though, because I picked it first and it is clearly better in every way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

There are hours and hours and hours of content you get by doing Roche's path. They weren't kidding when they said there were two different Act 2s, it's pretty amazing to see things from the other side.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

There are hours and hours and hours of content you get by doing Roche's path. They weren't kidding when they said there were two different Act 2s, it's pretty amazing to see things from the other side.

Yeah Act 2 is the height of the especially all the hard working making the quests unique and also encourage to play the other path since it adds in some extra story details.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I think he asked about new content in Act I. In which case it's like Cheston said, it's only until the very last mission in Flotsam the game branches off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I think he asked about new content in Act I. In which case it's like Cheston said, it's only until the very last mission in Flotsam the game branches off.

There isn't even a choice between the two until the very end of Act 1, isn't there? You're with Roche to the start of Flotsam, then get to basically go your own way for almost all of Act 1, then meet up with Iorveth towards the end, then get the option on which path to take?

I'm guessing that JohnnyBigPotatoes doesn't still have a save from the end of Flotsam so he'll have to replay all of Act 1 again to get to the point to take Roche's path instead, and he was asking if there was enough new content in Act 2 to make it worthwhile to do Act 1 all over again just to get to it. The answer of course is an emphatic yes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

You didn't, however, mention an important thing that does impact a Roche Path experience: Odriiiiiin! OOOOOOdriiiiiiiin!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG3g5Xstwco

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I'm guessing that JohnnyBigPotatoes doesn't still have a save from the end of Flotsam so he'll have to replay all of Act 1 again to get to the point to take Roche's path instead, and he was asking if there was enough new content in Act 2 to make it worthwhile to do Act 1 all over again just to get to it. The answer of course is an emphatic yes.

You got it! sorry my wording was a bit weird in the last post. I actually did have an old save before the choice but I just went through Flotsam anyway, missed a lot of sidequests but eh.
Just fought Letho and at first I was worried I was undergeared/levelled but it turns out stunlocking him with Aard and then heavy swings got him down pretty nicely! I never used that sign much before but I'm trying to avoid Quen abuse to keep things varied.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

Mitt Romney 2012
Just finised on Dark mode. There were some seriously challenging fights along the way and boy does this game like starting a fight with you stood in the middle of a group of hostiles but by doing that it really forces you to use every single thing that gives Geralt the smallest advantage. Bombs, potions, oils, daggers and magic were used liberally and by the end I had respecced heavily into alchemy from the swordsman path which on paper looks great with ripostes and blocking but I could never get the hang of.
Thank gently caress I did choose riposte though because apparently you don't get it during Geralts out of body experiences and I wouldn't fancy that.

I also liked how player skill increased with character skill. The combat system isn't perfect but it's got little nuances like being able to roll cancel recovery animations that can prove very useful. Combine it with the big roll talent and you can run rings around a whole group, jumping in with a stab and rolling to safety.
The Aard sign is drat good when uprgraded as well. it's great crowd control on small groups and always gives a chance of stuning one or two for instant kill.
I wish I'd realised that Dragons Dream (I think is it's name) could be ignited with Igni before the middle of Act 3 but it's also nice how the game doesn't just outright tell you a lot of things and leaves you to figure them out.

It's not an easy game but I think that people struggle with the combat because they think magic, alchemy and bombs are secondary to stabbing people but you have to combine all of the parts equally according to the situation, use the environment and play pretty smart, But when it clicks and you get ambushed by 5 heavily armoured guards in a small room and afterwards you're standing over 5 bloody corpses it's a great feeling. Geralt isn't a beast, he's not overpowered, He's good with a sword, knows some lovely magic spells and doesn't mind throwing grapeshot bombs into peoples faces to survivie. For a mutant he's pretty drat human.

Ploughing great game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've finally gotten around to playing this, and I'm having a huge issue during the prolog. I have to run across a bridge with the king with a dragon behind us. the game says to hit the right mouse button when it says to, and well, it never says to. I don't have QTE turned off, and I'm playing at easy because I play these games for story and to be a super kill machine.

I googled the problem and every single forum post I find about it goes like this

"I can't get past the dragon!"
"Did you push the right mouse button :smug:"
"it never gets me the prompt!"
"Maybe you should give up on video games :smug:"

It seems the game bugs out and does not give some people the prompt to hit the right mouse button.

• Locked thread