Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Which of you had a big rear end 30+ fighter guy named Fezzik or something? I forgot to favorite him when trying out some other pawns and now he's AWOL. He kicked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Roman posted:

Which of you had a big rear end 30+ fighter guy named Fezzik or something? I forgot to favorite him when trying out some other pawns and now he's AWOL. He kicked rear end.

I think that was me, I believe I got my pawn back from you yesterday (I finally got my third star of wolf knowledge in your game, not sure what I was missing). I decided to roll with a ranger pawn after having a fighter/warrior the whole game and with that I ended up completely changing my pawn's look, it's now a woman named Athena. It didn't look right having that huge dude using a bow and daggers instead of a giant hammer. Also you must have hired him a while ago since I'm now around level 60 in the post game.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
:stare: Is Jake Sully a goon pawn? I was laughing my rear end off when he showed up.

Slowly working my way through A Different Sky and the last quest I need for the Hero achievement (loving Reynard), still enjoying myself with the game and I just picked up the dlc with the force hatchet :dance: It's such a nice weapon, makes me wish it actually compared to post-game weaponry. Maybe it will when dragon-forged, but I doubt it will be more than on-par with max charges.

Mr. Crane
May 16, 2009

The deranged
golem-android is both beautiful and dangerous.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think that was me, I believe I got my pawn back from you yesterday (I finally got my third star of wolf knowledge in your game, not sure what I was missing). I decided to roll with a ranger pawn after having a fighter/warrior the whole game and with that I ended up completely changing my pawn's look, it's now a woman named Athena. It didn't look right having that huge dude using a bow and daggers instead of a giant hammer. Also you must have hired him a while ago since I'm now around level 60 in the post game.

I rent out a lot of goon pawns, and so far I stick with Athena (started with Fezzik) as a ranger, she kicks rear end, and Dawnfire's Azura, been my go-to team for pretty much the entire game.

E: Is BossTweed88 anyone in this thread? Must have enjoyed my warrior, I netted 45k RC off him.

Mr. Crane fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 12, 2012

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Tonight i learned that double black gorecockatrices and grimgoblins/hobgoblins are a thing :stare:

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

a shameful boehner posted:

Tonight i learned that double black gorecockatrices and grimgoblins/hobgoblins are a thing :stare:

That's probably the toughest fight in the game. Fuckin' goblins, I'm tryin' to cast a spell here!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I can't believe there were people who were dissapointed with how this game ended. I thought it was brilliant, personally.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

a shameful boehner posted:

They're just normal cockatrices there's no such thing as a gorecockatrice :colbert:.

Also still way easier than chimera, gorechimera, and hellhound lich.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Dan Didio posted:

I can't believe there were people who were dissapointed with how this game ended. I thought it was brilliant, personally.

Getting to finally be able to screw with people without the hindrance of guards was enough for me.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The Ur Dragon was like the last thing I hadn't done before I decided to finish the game and I have no idea what happened. First it took me a while to figure out how to trigger his appearance. Then he flies down and lands so I take a shot at him with Hunter Bolt. He flies back up and then fucks off out of there, the whole thing lasted like 10 seconds and he didn't attack at all. I tried getting him to reappear by leaving and coming back but he was gone for good apparently. So I just shrugged and went back to the top to do the last quest, that wasn't supposed to happen right?

I really liked the ending too though. Definitely wasn't what I was expecting. This game really surprised me and ended up being super awesome, I was hooked on it for weeks and it's probably my GOTY so far. I also liked the bit in one of the final cutscenes where your character opens their mouth to finally speak but the Seneschal holds his hand up to stop them.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I really liked the ending too though. Definitely wasn't what I was expecting. This game really surprised me and ended up being super awesome, I was hooked on it for weeks and it's probably my GOTY so far. I also liked the bit in one of the final cutscenes where your character opens their mouth to finally speak but the Seneschal holds his hand up to stop them.

Haha, yeah, that was good. I actually really liked the over-exaggerated reactions and responses your character has to situations, it goes a lot of the way to fixing the issues with, say, a silent protagonist like Gordon Freeman.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The Ur Dragon was like the last thing I hadn't done before I decided to finish the game and I have no idea what happened. First it took me a while to figure out how to trigger his appearance. Then he flies down and lands so I take a shot at him with Hunter Bolt. He flies back up and then fucks off out of there, the whole thing lasted like 10 seconds and he didn't attack at all. I tried getting him to reappear by leaving and coming back but he was gone for good apparently. So I just shrugged and went back to the top to do the last quest, that wasn't supposed to happen right?

If you aren't in the central area of the Ur-Dragon's arena he will fly away, which he also does after ~10 minutes of fighting. I'm not sure but I think you might have to rest after he resets if you aren't using the riftstone at Cassardis in new game+.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

What skills are pawns likely to use or not use? I gave my Strider pawn the upgraded Ensnare thing and I've never seen her use it. Should I give her Stepping/Leaping Stone instead?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Roman posted:

What skills are pawns likely to use or not use? I gave my Strider pawn the upgraded Ensnare thing and I've never seen her use it. Should I give her Stepping/Leaping Stone instead?

Pawns will use whatever skills that line up with their adopted personality and how you've shaped them. I've used DrNutt's pawn (I think) and she uses Ensnare a lot.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If I were to have a problem with the ending (and I don't) it would be where do we go from here? We've kind of answered the mystery of how life works in this world--there is a seneschal, we become him, and then we die. And we killed the dragon the franchise is named after, and the lore indicates that dragons are made from arisens who failed in their quest and became the next harbinger. Either the next game is going to retread the apocalypse plot as we find out what happens after a seneschal dies without a replacement, or we're going to ignore that aspect entirely. And how are they going to fit a dragon into the next plot considering we killed it and they are made from arisens who "failed to find god," as it were? There's lots of geography to explore and game potential to mine, but I'm not sure about how that will work in the sequel.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Lotish posted:

If I were to have a problem with the ending (and I don't) it would be...There's lots of geography to explore and game potential to mine, but I'm not sure about how that will work in the sequel.

I guess they could keep the same story but use a different setting, what with the whole unending worlds/parallel universe thing. Maybe the sequel will be some sci-fi mashup or something. Or the pawn of an Arisen who became seneschal and gained free will can become the next Arisen/conqueror of the world.

I like the ending but aside from the points you made I can't really think of how they could do a (direct at least) sequel. I hope the developers can figure it out though because I want more Dragon's Dogma. I just hope it will be like Assassin's Creed or Uncharted where they have a solid platform in the first game and the sequel can be a huge leap in quality in pretty much every aspect.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I was looking for Youtube videos that show off the weapon skills, and the user "billyblade9" did them decently... except that his videos, or at least the Assassin one, is located in a big rear end spoiler location. Be warned.

I am nowhere near the end so I am really wondering how that giant crater where most of Gran Soren used to be is going to affect the post game. Also why it's there in the first place.

Roman fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 13, 2012

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Danthrax posted:

I guess they could keep the same story but use a different setting, what with the whole unending worlds/parallel universe thing. Maybe the sequel will be some sci-fi mashup or something. Or the pawn of an Arisen who became seneschal and gained free will can become the next Arisen/conqueror of the world.

I like the ending but aside from the points you made I can't really think of how they could do a (direct at least) sequel. I hope the developers can figure it out though because I want more Dragon's Dogma. I just hope it will be like Assassin's Creed or Uncharted where they have a solid platform in the first game and the sequel can be a huge leap in quality in pretty much every aspect.

Yeah, I'm hoping the second one will make a big jump in quality and in terms of content.

I agree it'd be tough to do a direct sequel. So why not make a concurrent one or something where it's set in a far off distant land. or different dimension, I forgot if the seneschal rule the entire world because it really just seems like this one only affected Gran Soren or if they decide to do a direct sequel, it'll be about a new player character and his new pawn doing everything like normal until the pawn of the seneschal (make it import your old pawn as well) escapes and warns you to break the system. Then a third game could be to destroy the very gods who created the Seneschal system in the first place. It's easy to just retcon and reveal a new forces behind the scenes.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Lotish posted:

If I were to have a problem with the ending (and I don't) it would be where do we go from here? We've kind of answered the mystery of how life works in this world--there is a seneschal, we become him, and then we die. And we killed the dragon the franchise is named after, and the lore indicates that dragons are made from arisens who failed in their quest and became the next harbinger. Either the next game is going to retread the apocalypse plot as we find out what happens after a seneschal dies without a replacement, or we're going to ignore that aspect entirely. And how are they going to fit a dragon into the next plot considering we killed it and they are made from arisens who "failed to find god," as it were? There's lots of geography to explore and game potential to mine, but I'm not sure about how that will work in the sequel.

It was my interpretation that your "sacrifice" was ultimately pointless, that you only ensured that which ever Arisen was runner-up to you would just get a free ride to Seneschal-hood. All you really did was divest yourself of future guilt in the suffering of the world, and gave your pawn a chance at a normal, mortal life, albeit as you.

Who knows where they'll go next, regardless of how the end was supposed to be interpreted.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

What the heck is with that weird lil nook in the cave under the well where it transitions into "Brightwater Cove"? Is that just something that's cut content or is there a legitimate way to get in that thing?

Also, a fresh fighter/mage duo is somehow way easier to play through as than a 4 fighter party. It's absolutely insane how much magic turns the tide in fights.

edit:

Cthulhuchan posted:

It was my interpretation that your "sacrifice" was ultimately pointless, that you only ensured that which ever Arisen was runner-up to you would just get a free ride to Seneschal-hood. All you really did was divest yourself of future guilt in the suffering of the world, and gave your pawn a chance at a normal, mortal life, albeit as you.

There aren't any Arisens after you, they're made by dragons and you just killed the poo poo out of the only one around. Also dragons are made by senechals so killing yourself means no more dragons either. That all the remaining arisens begin to return to their natural age after you kill the dragon means that the enchantment is gone- the world is returned to it's "natural" order instead of being doted upon by the Seneschal. I'd say the sequel is probably gonna be set in another dimension or land or something, depending on how one interprets the extent of the Senechal's power/how large the world 'truly' is.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 13, 2012

Mr. Crane
May 16, 2009

The deranged
Okay, has anyone come across a shop that sells nuts or cloudwine consistently? I wanna gift the Cloudwine to Mercedes so I can get that foreign love interest going on, but can't seem to buy any anywhere.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Roman posted:

I was looking for Youtube videos that show off the weapon skills, and the user "billyblade9" did them decently... except that his videos, or at least the Assassin one, is located in a big rear end spoiler location. Be warned.

I am nowhere near the end so I am really wondering how that giant crater where most of Gran Soren used to be is going to affect the post game. Also why it's there in the first place.

That is the postgame.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mr. Crane posted:

Okay, has anyone come across a shop that sells nuts or cloudwine consistently? I wanna gift the Cloudwine to Mercedes so I can get that foreign love interest going on, but can't seem to buy any anywhere.

Reynard is the only one I know of. Except, well, it's Reynard. :smithicide:

Mr. Crane
May 16, 2009

The deranged

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Reynard is the only one I know of. Except, well, it's Reynard. :smithicide:

And I also have no idea where he's vanished to since Trials and Tribulations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fereydun posted:

Also, a fresh fighter/mage duo is somehow way easier to play through as than a 4 fighter party. It's absolutely insane how much magic turns the tide in fights.

I think this varies a bit from pawn to pawn, but I found it remarkably helpful to ditch magic pawns in favor of rangers or striders with one fighter to tank. The ranged DPS can hit basically everything forever on top of throwing out debilitations and doesn't run into the problem of being interrupted into uselessness when you get mobbed.

quote:

There aren't any Arisens after you, they're made by dragons and you just killed the poo poo out of the only one around. Also dragons are made by senechals so killing yourself means no more dragons either. That all the remaining arisens begin to return to their natural age after you kill the dragon means that the enchantment is gone- the world is returned to it's "natural" order instead of being doted upon by the Seneschal. I'd say the sequel is probably gonna be set in another dimension or land or something, depending on how one interprets the extent of the Senechal's power/how large the world 'truly' is.

I wonder if it's possible the next game will essentially be an alternate interpration of the same setting. The dragon and the seneschal and pawns and everything are reimagined into something different. I mean in this game the Dragon is almost the good guy, a powerful test for the chosen of mankind to pass so that the world can continue to have a strong sentry.

What I think will be best is if they explore what happens when there isn't a Seneschal. He implied that he had control of all life--how does the cycle of life work without him? Do we now have to rise up and become a seneschal? Perhaps there will be open war between arisen who each wish to realize their mutually exclusive destinies?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Mr. Crane posted:

Combine large or small nuts with any strength harspud potion.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fereydun posted:

What the heck is with that weird lil nook in the cave under the well where it transitions into "Brightwater Cove"? Is that just something that's cut content or is there a legitimate way to get in that thing?

If it's the part I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure it's just there to give you a fun introduction to the Brine. God knows it scared the poo poo out of me when I suddenly drowned in 3 feet of water.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

titties posted:

Combine large or small nuts with any strength harspud potion.

This only works with Harspud Milk. Combining nuts with Harspud Juice and Sauce will give Rousing/Balmy Perfume and Incense.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Right, sorry. Harspud milk only, then.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Hmm. I rented this today and I'm coming to the conclusion that Capcom really don't know how to make RPGs.

1. My character doesn't speak. I'm a mute. I can't even choose text dialogue options ala Dragon Age 1.

2. My party are all just conduits for some kind of universal hint book. None of them have personalities at all.

3. I get to choose my class and that's the extent of my character generation? I get the impression there are advanced classes later, but I expect to at least be able to pick some powers.

4. I feel really aimless. In general I want to find the dragon and get my heart back... for some reason? I don't seem to have any emotions and I seem to work just fine without a heart, so I'm not sure what my motivation is.

5. BILLIONS OF USELESS OR NEAR USELESS ITEMS AHHH

6. Japan still seems to think that eating houseplants is a good and healthy thing to do.

Does any of this poo poo change or should I just give up now? The combat's okay I guess, though at the moment I'm just spamming blink strike over and over.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Gort posted:

3. I get to choose my class and that's the extent of my character generation? I get the impression there are advanced classes later, but I expect to at least be able to pick some powers.

Wha.. did you not get to the first inn or what?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The combat takes a long time to open up, unfortunately. You don't really get enough to play with until vocation level 3 or 4, and even then the really fun stuff doesn't unlock until later on.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

DrManiac posted:

Wha.. did you not get to the first inn or what?

I got there. Didn't see any reason to do anything there. I take it this is where you get to pick powers or something? Because learning combat skills in a hotel makes perfect sense.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Yes, you learn and assign skills and change classes at most rest points like inns.

Although judging by your complaints if you're looking for a story or character driven game, this really isn't it. Not a whole lot really happens or is explained until near the end of the game (I thought the ending was good though) and the main character and your companion are blank slates to play dress up with. Most of my enjoyment has come from going around beating up monsters and stuff and making ridiculous looking characters.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well, to clarify, there are two inns and a few camps. The inn in the town you start at can't do much besides let you sleep and hold your items like the magic box from Resident Evil. The inn in the capitol city, however, lets you do everything, and it's the only place you can change class at. They wanted you to have a central location for all key developmental activities, and the inn was just what they picked.

And yeah, the philosophy of this game is not "Bioware RPG" or even "Bethesda RPG," really. It's a little more of the Dark Souls variety: Here's a world, it has these things in it, and you've been put into this situation. You can explore and learn about the lore, or don't. You can talk to people until they fall in love with you, or not (and we'll just leave whatever you say to your imagination). Just kind of do whatever and if you decide you want to finish the game we'll explain what's going on.

I like some of the plot potential in the game, but the story is definitely underutilized. Hopefully this'll get remedied in the sequel. Capcom did make the Breath of Fire series, and if BoF IV is anything to go by they definitely know how to make an RPG with a mute protagonist. We'll see how that meshes with an open world game, though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The only important thing to know about Dragon's Dogma is that it's absolutely awesome, and that fighting during the night is awesome.

I love this game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Gort posted:

Hmm. I rented this today and I'm coming to the conclusion that Capcom really don't know how to make RPGs.

1. My character doesn't speak. I'm a mute. I can't even choose text dialogue options ala Dragon Age 1.

It's not that kind of RPG.

Gort posted:

2. My party are all just conduits for some kind of universal hint book. None of them have personalities at all.

It's not that kind of RPG and this is explicitly explained within an hour of starting the game why this is the case.

Gort posted:

This is explained to you.

Gort posted:

4. I feel really aimless. In general I want to find the dragon and get my heart back... for some reason? I don't seem to have any emotions and I seem to work just fine without a heart, so I'm not sure what my motivation is.

Explained in the story, it's worth noting that the Arisen does have emotions. And that literally the entire premise of the game is the fact that a Dragon is attacking the lands, has stolen your heart and changed you into something inhuman with unique abilities and a connection to the Pawn Legion and the Dragon issued you a challenge to come find the truth abotu your new nature.

Gort posted:

5. BILLIONS OF USELESS OR NEAR USELESS ITEMS AHHH

Almost every item has a use, whether it be as a quest item or as an item for combining, crafting or upgrading.

Gort posted:

6. Japan still seems to think that eating houseplants is a good and healthy thing to do.

In Skyrim you can eat human hearts, mushrooms and plants that grow in the dirt. Those wacky Americans!

Gort posted:

Does any of this poo poo change or should I just give up now? The combat's okay I guess, though at the moment I'm just spamming blink strike over and over.

It doesn't 'change' because most of your complaints are either subjective or based on a preconcieved, misguided notion of what an RPG is. If you're not enjoying it as this point, it's very unlikely there's going to be a twist or reveal that will engage you with the characters or gameplay systems further along.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Dan Didio posted:

Almost every item has a use, whether it be as a quest item or as an item for combining, crafting or upgrading.

That's technically true but combining two things to make a new thing that can only be used to combine with another ultra-rare item to make an item that's not particularly useful is not interesting and does nothing to help you. I agree with like every other point you posted but drat there are a lot of useless items in DD.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Count Uvula posted:

That's technically true but combining two things to make a new thing that can only be used to combine with another ultra-rare item to make an item that's not particularly useful is not interesting and does nothing to help you. I agree with like every other point you posted but drat there are a lot of useless items in DD.
Yeah, this is the only part of his rant I agree wholeheartedly with. There do not need to be four different items that cure blindness and so on. Hell, maybe there doesn't even really need to be one, since the spell that does it is an introductory spell that everyone should have in their party in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Most of my enjoyment has come from going around beating up monsters and stuff and making ridiculous looking characters.

My pawn started out looking like Naveen Andrews' character from Lost (so I ended up giving him the same name). Similar face, (facial)hair, skin tone, build, etc. Now he's got the same face/hair but he's about 7 feet tall, his skin is bright green, his hair is blue, and his eyes are red.

• Locked thread