Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Oh right, that makes the decision easier then. It could have said something though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

I said come in! posted:

This seems like it would be such an easy money maker to me. I really don't understand why they won't make more of these games.

The X wing/Tie Fighter games would suck without a joystick and keyboard, that's basically why that part of the Star Wars franchise is dead.

This obscure game called Darkstar One came out for Xbox that was a cheap mish-mosh of TIE Fighter and Privateer, it was OK but certainly nowhere near as polished or impressive.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

MUFFlNS posted:

Yup. It's utterly bizarre too since the game is presented almost like a sand box, with everything it bombards you with on the home screen (A-Spec, B-Spec, Seasonal Events, Special Events, Online Racing etc) which basically screams "There's a lot to do, go wild!" but for whatever reason they implemented that level system to try and provide a sense of progress that simply isn't needed. I suppose it's a combination of feeling that because it's a videogame it must have some sense of progress, and the current trend in gaming to have everything level up so that the player constantly feels like they're being rewarded (as if free cars and money isn't enough incentive to race?!).

I think it would work wonders if they just did away with all of that and made the game genuinely free form, and allowed players to do anything that they wanted whenever they wanted. I think it would actually be a worthwhile experiment to see how players react. No level requirements for cars or races and heck, why not remove the need to buy cars and upgrades too? Just lay everything out at the start so that people play the game for the simple joy of it, rather than working away at actual progression.

It's also really stupid too because they obviously didn't plan it out very well. Some levels have some retarded amount of grinding. I know it was painful trying to go from 14-20 so I can unlock some of the later races that I could use my better cars in.

I liked the cars, and the races..... when I could actually use them. I've never really beat the entire game (gone to the last championship) and I've probably seen 30% of the content before it got incredibly dull and tedious to unlock the rest.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Scott Bakula posted:

Oh right, that makes the decision easier then. It could have said something though

Eh, I thought it was pretty obvious which is which. They're even color-coded.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Was it? I probably should have realised anyway but it didn't seem colour coded to me. I just had both options in yellow text

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ineffiable posted:

It's also really stupid too because they obviously didn't plan it out very well. Some levels have some retarded amount of grinding. I know it was painful trying to go from 14-20 so I can unlock some of the later races that I could use my better cars in.

I liked the cars, and the races..... when I could actually use them. I've never really beat the entire game (gone to the last championship) and I've probably seen 30% of the content before it got incredibly dull and tedious to unlock the rest.
They seem to just straight-up LIKE grinding in Japan. Not see it as a necessary evil but actually like it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Scott Bakula posted:

Was it? I probably should have realised anyway but it didn't seem colour coded to me. I just had both options in yellow text

Fire is red, Ice is blue.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah I get that and I'm tired and should really have noticed, I was just expecting it to be more obvious. I'm still dumb for not realising though

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

Oh right, that was one of my complaints about GT5: the AI is dumb as a butt most of the time. It doesn't seem terribly... "reactive"? Like no one else seems to know I'm there, so I get hit a lot even if I'm driving carefully. Maybe that's been patched, I dunno.

It hasn't, and it's one of the series' biggest problems. While you behind the wheel are given a ridiculous amount of control (or, like revolther said, the tools to attempt to "tame" one of the really high-end cars), the rest of the racers are literal robots that take ever corner perfectly and completely ignore you if you're in the racing line. They might move slightly now, but there was talk all the way back in the PS2 days of AI that would remember bumps and stuff and get all aggro on you. That still hasn't happened, but I guess there's always GT6. Most of the time, it's less about the other cars and more about you vs. the machine vs. the track, and that's still a very potent combo when they all align. With assists off, every single corner has the potential to end the race. It's truly thrilling for me.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

The level system in GT5 is bullshit and stupid. If I have enough money for a car, I should be able to buy it and race it. Simple as that.

Probably one of the most mind-bogglingly stupid things Polyphony have ever done, really. They were kinda on a streak of stupidity for a while there, as GT PSP was similarly geared to try to get you to trade with other people and stuff. That might have worked for Japan, but nowhere else is there that kind of density of portables. Oh GT PSP, you could have been so drat awesome...

If it's any consolation, one you get to a certain point, both money and cars become kinda trivial (especially if your B-spec driver is leveled up). It's just the sheer number of cars that becomes the issue. And having to deal with that goddamn randomized used car lot. At least they added that dealership with the most-needed cars.

Samurai Sanders posted:

They seem to just straight-up LIKE grinding in Japan. Not see it as a necessary evil but actually like it.

The worst part is that, on a fundamental level, I totally agree with them. There's a feeling of power and satisfaction that comes from slogging it out for a bit and returning to something that was really difficult and just breezing through it, or pushing yourself to try to overcome a part of the game you clearly aren't ready for yet, then somehow manage to squeak out a win that pays a huge windfall in XP or money that in turn makes you crazy strong. I don't know why I like it, but I do (particularly in RPGs), but it has started to creep into more and more genres where the audience just isn't going to be as receptive.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm so glad The Walking Dead is free for PS+. I'm only a couple hours into the first episode but it's a lot of fun so far. It's cartooney in style, but still really violent and so suspenseful when it needs to be.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
This one week Best Buy sale is probably worth mentioning. Nothing amazing but I'm sure someone will want one of those $10 games.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...es&nrp=52&iht=n

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

...! posted:

This one week Best Buy sale is probably worth mentioning. Nothing amazing but I'm sure someone will want one of those $10 games.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...es&nrp=52&iht=n

Are you saying Rayman Origin isn't amazing? Because thems fighting words. :colbert:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
GT series is basically the Japanese racing game Peter Molyneux would promise you. Then you get it, it's 1/4 done, 1/4 broken, 1/4 ridiculous decisions and 1/4 things you were told would be in it that were not.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I've been replaying MGS4 since they released the trophy patch and I can't really wrap my brain around how good it still looks compared to a lot of the stuff coming out now. I can't wait to see some Fox Engine stuff.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Is it tomorrow they are suppose to be announcing two new games for the ps+ instant collection?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SamBishop posted:

It hasn't, and it's one of the series' biggest problems. While you behind the wheel are given a ridiculous amount of control (or, like revolther said, the tools to attempt to "tame" one of the really high-end cars), the rest of the racers are literal robots that take ever corner perfectly and completely ignore you if you're in the racing line. They might move slightly now, but there was talk all the way back in the PS2 days of AI that would remember bumps and stuff and get all aggro on you. That still hasn't happened, but I guess there's always GT6. Most of the time, it's less about the other cars and more about you vs. the machine vs. the track, and that's still a very potent combo when they all align. With assists off, every single corner has the potential to end the race. It's truly thrilling for me.

Oh for sure. Half the time when I play I just pick a car and go practice a course - like I said a lot of the fun for me is just driving the cars around, and like you and others have said, mastering how to drive them. Holy balls, trying to drive some of the Ferraris [I can't remember which one I have, the 512 I think?] is... interesting. No wait, psychotic, there you go. After a while of that, I like retiring to my nice, comfy, road-hugging, corner-destroying 88 Supra GT. Awww yeah. That, and my 89 S13, playing SUPER HOT LEGENDARY DRIFT MASTER~

Of course, like I said, having a wheel changes the experience strongly. I had fun with a DS3, but I'm having an absolute blast with my G27 [thanks again wife, you are the best wife]

AIs remembering that you hit them and going aggro would be awesome. I just want them to be aware of me, though. How hard could that possibly be...? I mean I haven't seen one line of the code and I know nothing of the complexities of the engine, but you'd think that one of the bullet points on the design spec for this game would be "- An AI that acts like it knows you're there"

e. also assists are for suckers though driving without them on the DS3 was a pain in the rear end if I remember

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 13, 2012

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

RichterIX posted:

I've been replaying MGS4 since they released the trophy patch and I can't really wrap my brain around how good it still looks compared to a lot of the stuff coming out now. I can't wait to see some Fox Engine stuff.

I'm doing a Chicken Run right now, literally i've had Snake sitting in a barrel with the tv off for the last half hour, and my god does it suck. I'm legitimately excited for the first Kojima game to be released with achievements, I bet he'll do something cool with them, and these added in later ones are a drag.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

Is it tomorrow they are suppose to be announcing two new games for the ps+ instant collection?

Those blog posts are usually Mondays, yeah.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

RichterIX posted:

They do look good at a glance, but when you take a closer look, things start looking worse, things like the fire effects and the shadows stand out to me for sure.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

explosivo posted:

I'm so glad The Walking Dead is free for PS+. I'm only a couple hours into the first episode but it's a lot of fun so far. It's cartooney in style, but still really violent and so suspenseful when it needs to be.

I'm with ya there. I don't even mind that each episode is short because they're so intense. I went from not really caring about the games to joining the "when is the next one coming out!?!?!" crowd. It's like a point and click from hell.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

They do look good at a glance, but when you take a closer look, things start looking worse, things like the fire effects and the shadows stand out to me for sure.

Another thing that MGS4 never really seemed to get down was any sort of personal interaction. Any sort of hug, especially, always looked so incredibly awkward.

I can only imagine how badly they would have screwed up Snake and Otacon's bro-five from MGS2.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KamiTsurugi posted:

Another thing that MGS4 never really seemed to get down was any sort of personal interaction. Any sort of hug, especially, always looked so incredibly awkward.

I can only imagine how badly they would have screwed up Snake and Otacon's bro-five from MGS2.
Maybe they are SUPPOSED to look incredibly awkward. There are a lot of awkward people in that game.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe they are SUPPOSED to look incredibly awkward. There are a lot of awkward people in that game.

Yet it also has the best romance scene in any video game I've ever played.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, if you find a dude making GBS threads his pants romantic.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
No no, he's talking about when Ocelot kissed Snake.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, the shadows are really really hilariously rough. I dunno what it is about the rest of it that looks so good to me. Part of it is that it does those "hey this is a cutscene and now the camera moves behind you and you're suddenly playing" moments better than any other game I can think of off the top of my head.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Max Payne 3 does that very well too, except you can't skip most of the 1-6 minute long cutscenes. :allears:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
So I picked up Castlevania: Harmony of Despair again going through random games I'd bought, and is it balanced for multiplayer? Is it possible to play through alone? It seems pretty loving tough for me playing solo, but then again, I'm probably just getting bad at video games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Code Jockey posted:

So I picked up Castlevania: Harmony of Despair again going through random games I'd bought, and is it balanced for multiplayer? Is it possible to play through alone? It seems pretty loving tough for me playing solo, but then again, I'm probably just getting bad at video games.
It's a grinding game, pure and simple. Except what you have to do to level up your character is secret and different for every character. It's the most inexplicable loving thing for the Castlevania franchise.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

If you are going to play it solo I recommend picking Soma, he's the best character in the game and has a lot of abusable skills. Always abuse dive kicks for momentum and shortcuts. Here's an example of someone using divekicks and Soma's Yorick soul to create shortcuts, as well as a funny glitch to clip through a wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYSlOfQluhM&t=10s

I really like Harmony of Despair and I have a bunch of friends who feel the same way. It's a completely ridiculous cheap lazy cash in that is completely broken and somehow through that it manages to be incredibly fun to me. I really like score attack/speed runs and the broken ways you can abuse character movement and attack cancelling lead to a high skill ceiling that ends up being a blast to try and get better at. The grind aspect comes naturally if you are the kind of person who enjoys this, and it gets even more entertaining if you have a group playing each using a different character to abuse different glitches and shortcuts. Pretty much what I'm saying is it's broken, unbalanced and lazy but if you are a crazy person you will love it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's a grinding game, pure and simple.

bleep posted:

Pretty much what I'm saying is it's broken, unbalanced and lazy but if you are a crazy person you will love it.

Sounds dandy to me. I dig the game, I am a crazy person, and I plan to use it as my "play till I pass out" game nightly, so grinding is fine by me. I've been playing Soma anyway so that works nicely.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I tried to play Charlotte for no reason other than that her dance rules and found out that she was both among the hardest to level up and also one of the worst to use even when she is leveled up, got frustrated and quit.

edit: I think the best cutscene to game transition is Dynasty Warriors 7, of all things. Nothing else about the animation or graphics is anything special at all, except for that.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 13, 2012

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Code Jockey posted:

I was playing this online with some friends and it was really hard. Atleast I think it was this, is Harmony of Despair the PSN game where they cut and paste levels from all the old games? Anyway some strangers joined and ran off and beat the first three levels in like 30 seconds. I could see that they were just sliding constantly the whole time so I guess you can do that to move faster. I was playing as Alucard and got some sword that I can shoot and now the game is really easy.

All in all not a game I had a ton of fun with but it didn't cost that much.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, the shadows are really really hilariously rough. I dunno what it is about the rest of it that looks so good to me. Part of it is that it does those "hey this is a cutscene and now the camera moves behind you and you're suddenly playing" moments better than any other game I can think of off the top of my head.

Mortal Kombat did that really well too.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Harmony of Despair is a blast to play with friends, or to randomly join a game online and grind Dracula. It's a shame the extra levels cost a bit more money than I'd prefer to pay- the base game itself isn't very long. Still, first thing I did when getting the PS3 version was to buy Simon Belmont. There's nothing more enjoyable than playing a next generation platformer as an NES sprite. Really gives me my kicks. It would have been funny if they would have programmed in Castlevania NES's movement physics too.

I like playing as the whip users a lot. Each character has their own little quirks and cons so they can all be really fun to play. Running around with Jonathan and using the wrecking ball is really fun and can make enemies and some bosses a cake walk, and it feels really good to grind up special skills to make them more powerful. I wish they all characters leveled up so easily... Instead, to level up characters like Alucard's spells, you have to get rare drops from enemies and bosses ten times to reach their maximum power. Charlotte is pure grinding to the max, sitting around and absorbing spells until the player gets lucky. I could go on about every character though... but the whip users are really enjoyable, as well as the steel users Soma and Alucard. And I always liked Shanoa...

Harmony of Despair makes me really sad that we still don't have a proper next generation IGA-vania. :smith:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I mained Charlotte when I played HoD with my usual co-op partner... She might be a total grind but she can be a lot of fun if you know what spells to set up. In particular if you get the retro spells. Not to mention she can get some ridiculous damage output later on. As I found though, that damage output can only get you so far if you want to play solo... Charlotte is definitely a character to play when you have someone else with you. Soloing with her is a huge pain against some bosses.

... now I kind of want to boot it up again. There are a few grindy trophies I have to get still.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Grabbed Sleeping Dogs a day early here in Hong Kong, so I'm getting all meta tonight and playing a game set in the city outside my window. Very excited, I've been looking forward to this one for a long time.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

Please tell me you're not talking about Johnny's proposal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overlord K posted:

I mained Charlotte when I played HoD with my usual co-op partner... She might be a total grind but she can be a lot of fun if you know what spells to set up. In particular if you get the retro spells. Not to mention she can get some ridiculous damage output later on. As I found though, that damage output can only get you so far if you want to play solo... Charlotte is definitely a character to play when you have someone else with you. Soloing with her is a huge pain against some bosses.

... now I kind of want to boot it up again. There are a few grindy trophies I have to get still.

Charlotte used to be ridiculous but then they nerfed her pretty heavily but didn't touch other characters nearly as hard. Which sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

Grabbed Sleeping Dogs a day early here in Hong Kong, so I'm getting all meta tonight and playing a game set in the city outside my window. Very excited, I've been looking forward to this one for a long time.

I'm really, really interested in how the full game plays, once you dig into it. I caught a stream of it the other night, but the guy had gotten all the upgrades and finished all the missions, and so was getting pretty sick of it and just kept driving aimlessly around. Some pretty janky character animations in there but also some very nice visuals, but I couldn't get a sense for how good the rest of it was.

• Locked thread