Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FFS thanks to Adobe for not hosting any installer on their servers apart from the current versions. Bought a digital download of Photoshop CS5 and CS6 has been released? gently caress you if you need to reinstall.

Anyone have the Photoshop CS5 Windows installer they can sling in a dropbox folder or ftp share while I grab it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've got multi-colored dots popping up in all of my darker/night shots that are in the same place in every shot. I'm assuming this is dust. What's the best way to track this down and clean it up?

Just one example: http://imgur.com/im8ve

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Hot pixels.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Lblitzer posted:

I've got multi-colored dots popping up in all of my darker/night shots that are in the same place in every shot. I'm assuming this is dust. What's the best way to track this down and clean it up?

Probably some broken pixels on your sensor. Some cameras are smart enough to disable them after a manual sensor clean. So give that a try. (You have millions...you aren't going to miss a couple).

EDIT: wow, that's a lot of hot pixels. It's worth giving my suggestion a try to see if that helps. Lightroom will also magically remove them as well.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

torgeaux posted:

Ask Mannequin?

Huh?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Zenostein posted:

Are random drugstore films just cast-offs from normal film producers? Like, is this walgreens film that is "made in Japan" just fuji film?

I wouldn't say cast-offs - but all films come from a very limited number of manufacturers. According to Da Wiki, there are only 7 currently producing film:

Dai Nippon Printing
Efke
Foma
Fujifilm
Ilford
Lucky
Mitsubishi Imaging

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_film

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

Is this camera new enough to still have a warranty? Because, uh... that's bad.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

spog posted:

I wouldn't say cast-offs - but all films come from a very limited number of manufacturers. According to Da Wiki, there are only 7 currently producing film:

Dai Nippon Printing
Efke
Foma
Fujifilm
Ilford
Lucky
Mitsubishi Imaging

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_film

Don't forget Kodak. They may be bankrupt, but they're still producing film.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Lblitzer posted:

Doing long exposures inside abandoned structures in the middle of a Texas summer would make my T2i do that just before it shut itself down. I don't know about it showing up in the same place every time thing though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

quoted wrong guy. Meant to quote original poster asking about shooting street portraits.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Molten Llama posted:

Or turn on long exposure noise reduction.

Huggington
Jan 9, 2012

moobs
I want to sell all my Sony a77 kit and grab a 5d mk3 for no apparent reason. Someone convince me otherwise.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Huggington posted:

I want to sell all my Sony a77 kit and grab a 5d mk3 for no apparent reason. Someone convince me otherwise.

Don't forget a lens.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680103-USA/Canon_2751B002_EF_70_200mm_f_2_8L_IS.html

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Or turn on long exposure noise reduction.

Anytime I've ever tried long exposure noise reduction I get pretty bad banding. I am always happier with the results of some noise reduction apps.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pukestain Pal posted:

Anytime I've ever tried long exposure noise reduction I get pretty bad banding. I am always happier with the results of some noise reduction apps.
What camera? I've never had that issue, but I've only done really long takes with 2 bodies ever soooo

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

What camera? I've never had that issue, but I've only done really long takes with 2 bodies ever soooo

I only tried it a long time ago with my 7D. I haven't tried with with the 5D2 yet.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I was about to order these two books from amazon: Speedliter's Handbook and The Creative Digital Darkroom.

I already have Understanding Exposure, and seeing as I wanted to make a single order since it's an international shipping, I was wondering if there were any other recommended books I should keep an eye out for.

Cheers.

/edit: Maybe something about portrait shooting? It's been tickling my fancy lately.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

I was about to order these two books from amazon: Speedliter's Handbook and The Creative Digital Darkroom.

I already have Understanding Exposure, and seeing as I wanted to make a single order since it's an international shipping, I was wondering if there were any other recommended books I should keep an eye out for.

Cheers.

/edit: Maybe something about portrait shooting? It's been tickling my fancy lately.

Once you have exposure basics down, and know how to use your light, the best way to learn is to just start shooting. A good place to start is the strobist group on flickr. Browse through the photos and if you see something you like, they'll have a rundown on how it was lit.

That said...books are a good reference, but it doesn't beat actually doing it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Cheers.

If you like using flashes, The Hotshoe Diaries is fantastic.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

DJExile posted:

Light, Science and Magic has furthered my understanding of light more than any other photography book I've read.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Pukestain Pal posted:

That said...books are a good reference, but it doesn't beat actually doing it.

Of course, but I found that I like having a few references to pick up those little nuggets of info that would take forever (if they actually do) to "click" on my own. After that is practise, practise, practise. :D

DJExile posted:

David Pratt posted:

Light, Science and Magic has furthered my understanding of light more than any other photography book I've read.

Cheers, I'll have a look at those. I actually had Hotshot dairies on my cart, but I always welcome more opinions on these things. Thanks again to both.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Are people who sell new copies of Photoshop on Ebay for much less than places like Amazon, B&H, etc. legitimate?

Example: http://tinyurl.com/95rz4km

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I've seen people sell education PS versions for much cheaper.

I'm not sure about that though as it is sealed?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Figured out why my first roll got so hosed up: turns out I completely mixed up the two rolls I was shooting with, and thought that the 24 exposure kodak roll was 36 exposures. I think I probably wrenched it to hell after the 24th shot... conversely I just sent out a roll to be developed with 12 shots left on it. I think I need to lie down for a little.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

NoneMoreNegative posted:

FFS thanks to Adobe for not hosting any installer on their servers apart from the current versions. Bought a digital download of Photoshop CS5 and CS6 has been released? gently caress you if you need to reinstall.

Anyone have the Photoshop CS5 Windows installer they can sling in a dropbox folder or ftp share while I grab it?

That seems beyond stupid. Have you contacted support? I thought they tied stuff to your adobe ID now, have you tried logging into your account? If that all fails I am sure there are "other" places that you can get an installer from.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
A few days ago, I asked for some suggestions on photography books, and I got some good recommendations:

DJExile posted:

David Pratt posted:

I already had these two books on my sights: Speedliter's Handbook and The Creative Digital Darkroom, and I'm realizing I have 2 books on flashes and 1 on lighting in my cart. Does anyone know if these complement each other, or will they overlap enough so that I should just get one of them for now? Maybe one of the flash ones and the lightning one?

Thanks again, and sorry for the dumb questions.

Sovi3t
Jan 11, 2005
purple monkey dishwasher

Edmond Dantes posted:

A few days ago, I asked for some suggestions on photography books, and I got some good recommendations:

I already had these two books on my sights: Speedliter's Handbook and The Creative Digital Darkroom, and I'm realizing I have 2 books on flashes and 1 on lighting in my cart. Does anyone know if these complement each other, or will they overlap enough so that I should just get one of them for now? Maybe one of the flash ones and the lightning one?

Thanks again, and sorry for the dumb questions.

On the surface, 'Hotshoe Diaries' and 'Speedlighter's Handbook' look very similar, except one is aimed at Nikon and the other at Canon flashes. I'd pick one of those.

The other two shouldn't overlap at all, but if you were to get only one, I'd recommend 'Light Science and Magic'.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Molten Llama posted:

It's not, it's an Olympus E-500 that I bought used last year. I had it in the back of my car for a while unsecured from my bag for a few weeks and drove down many dirt roads earlier this year.

Swapped lenses out as I had an extra one and the same hot pixels stayed so it's definitely on my sensor. Not sure I have the dexterity to do it myself but there are a few camera shops around town.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Lblitzer posted:

It's not, it's an Olympus E-500 that I bought used last year. I had it in the back of my car for a while unsecured from my bag for a few weeks and drove down many dirt roads earlier this year.

Swapped lenses out as I had an extra one and the same hot pixels stayed so it's definitely on my sensor. Not sure I have the dexterity to do it myself but there are a few camera shops around town.

Dexterity won't help you here. Hot pixels aren't dust on the sensor, but pixels that for whatever reason end up with a random value. I don't really know the physics of it, but it happens more the longer the exposure. How does the camera perform under more normal conditions, as in, not a long exposure and in good light?

From a quick google search, it sounds like your camera is behaving normally, though. The E-500 seems to have problems with long exposures. Your best option is probably to find some software that can deal with it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So I love scanning color film because the results are awesome, but I hate scanning color film because I'm terrible at getting colors right.

Can anyone recommend a site or book or guide or video or workshop or camp or something that can make me not colortarded? :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

QPZIL posted:

So I love scanning color film because the results are awesome, but I hate scanning color film because I'm terrible at getting colors right.

Can anyone recommend a site or book or guide or video or workshop or camp or something that can make me not colortarded? :(

Shoot B&W :twisted:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

DJExile posted:

Shoot B&W :twisted:

That's what I already do! But I feel like sometimes I just do it because I'm no good at color heh.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
So remember last week when a photo of mine was stolen and used multiple times on a news website? Well the client I shot the photo for is worried about potential negative publicity about my fighting for my intellectual property (I don't get it either), and they've offered to just outright buy the copyright to the image from me. I've never had this situation pop up before. How much should I charge? Lots, right?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

That 70s Shirt posted:

So remember last week when a photo of mine was stolen and used multiple times on a news website? Well the client I shot the photo for is worried about potential negative publicity about my fighting for my intellectual property (I don't get it either), and they've offered to just outright buy the copyright to the image from me. I've never had this situation pop up before. How much should I charge? Lots, right?

Typically when you are shooting for a client, you are giving them the rights to the photo anyways. I'd say let them make an offer and see what it comes to. Because you shot the photo *for* them, they might just be able to make a grabb for all the rights anyways.

Obviously, I'm making assumptions I don't know what the contract looks like.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
99.99% of the time the copyright stays with the photographer regardless of the situation of the original shoot. The contract has to specifically say otherwise, and unless the money is good enough most photographers don't give it up. I certainly didn't.

Doing some quick research it looks like anywhere from $2500 to $5000+ is normal. That sound about right?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pukestain Pal posted:

Typically when you are shooting for a client, you are giving them the rights to the photo anyways. I'd say let them make an offer and see what it comes to. Because you shot the photo *for* them, they might just be able to make a grabb for all the rights anyways.

Obviously, I'm making assumptions I don't know what the contract looks like.
You have no idea what you're talking about. The rule of thumb is tat the shooter keeps the rights, and licenses whatever is necessary to the organization giving him the assignement.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

That 70s Shirt posted:

99.99% of the time the copyright stays with the photographer regardless of the situation of the original shoot. The contract has to specifically say otherwise, and unless the money is good enough most photographers don't give it up. I certainly didn't.

Doing some quick research it looks like anywhere from $2500 to $5000+ is normal. That sound about right?

Depends on how the contract is worded. To be safe, I basically word all work in terms of licensing. If you don't have a contract at all, and you were paid to shoot something for someone, it could be argued that the image is theirs. Just make sure your contract is in order.

I don't think you can put a blanket cost on a photo though. It all depends on what it is, what it's likely to be used for, how marketable it is, etc etc etc. How much do you think it's worth? Start there.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

You have no idea what you're talking about. The rule of thumb is tat the shooter keeps the rights, and licenses whatever is necessary to the organization giving him the assignement.

Rule of thumb doesn't necessarily translate in a courtroom if it went to that. I don't know what his contract looks like, so I can't give good advice. As long as it uses 'licensing' terms, he's fine. If it was just a verbal "Hey, can you shoot X for me and give me the photos", it could get ugly. I'm just saying to cover your bases. No need to get militant over it. You gotta be realistic...especially when you are talking about money.

Plus if you are asking these types of questions, I'm going to make the assumption that your ducks weren't in a row.

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 14, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm pretty sure even in a courtroom the rights are going to go to the photographer UNLESS there is a written contract saying otherwise.

Why the hell would the person being photographed get automatic rights to something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm pretty sure even in a courtroom the rights are going to go to the photographer UNLESS there is a written contract saying otherwise.

Why the hell would the person being photographed get automatic rights to something.

Why take the chance?