Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I don't know for sure, but I really doubt they even investigate the comp requests as long as you list some sort of technical problem - spending resources trying to figure out whether a request is "valid" is going to be more expensive for them than just handing out reimbursement product.

This is new policy since a few years ago, then.

I got denied compensation on a draft where every player was getting randomly disconnected. We all had half our picks taken by the computer while we fought to get back in. I was told that they're not responsible for my Internet connection, and I should try running tracert. Then I was sent a survey about how helpful they had been.

I didn't play for a few years after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

TheGame posted:

I've had good luck getting partial or full reimbursement for disconnects, though it may in part be because I draft a shitload and have only ever requested refunds 2 or 3 times. You might want to try that though.

I did, and it was approved. That's pretty awesome, and very reassuring.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

LeafHouse posted:

I apply for a refund any time anything goes wrong, even if it is because I was a stupid idiot and it was totally my fault. They have never denied me for compensation unless I won more prize than it cost to enter the event.

As long as you don't overly abuse it (i.e. refunds every time), you will hardly ever get denied. I have had friends who have worked at WOTC and it's generally easier to just reimburse than check out the details.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

En Fuego posted:

As long as you don't overly abuse it (i.e. refunds every time), you will hardly ever get denied. I have had friends who have worked at WOTC and it's generally easier to just reimburse than check out the details.

If supporting the client is just as bad as it is to use it (probably worse) I can easily see how a well formatted report with all the right event IDs and time would just get rubber stamped rather then digging into logs to confirm everything.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've been striking out like crazy in M13 8-4s over the past few days, but last night I won three in a row, which is the best streak I've been able to pull of on MTGO.

Draft 1 was a nice UB control deck with:

- Sphinx
- 3x Murder
- 2x Public Execution
- 2x Essence Drain
- 2x Unsummon
- 2x Archomancer
- 1x Switcharoo
- 1x Talrand
- 1x Talrand Invocation

I was the only blue/black drafter at the table, which was weird, but I'm not complaining. By far the filthiest deck I've ever drafted, admittedly getting very lucky on opening packs and getting stuff passed to me. Switcharoo + Unsummon is a pretty good combo, if a bit clunky.

Second draft was a random white/black Exalted deck, which is a pretty good archtype. Tormented Soul + Mark of the Vampire + Exalted is a pretty good setup to have.

Draft 3 was the most ridiculous thing I've ever drafted. Opened Flames of the Firebrand, got passed Krenko, and went deep on Goblins after that. Ended up with a Red/green deck:

- 1x Krenko, Mob Boss
- 3x Mogg Flunkies
- 2x Goblin Arms Dealer
- 2x Krenko's Command
- 1x Rancor

I had a bunch of other random Goblins (Arsonist, etc.) I also drafted a Fervor, which I didn't think would be good until I started dropping big green dorks with Haste, which was pretty good. Each time I resolved Krenko I had an Arms Dealer in my hand, so playing an Arms Dealer on a board with 10+ goblin tokens is pretty much the best thing ever.

CJTheran
Mar 31, 2010
I just drafted the worst deck of all time, but still managed to win with it. It was M13 U/B/r, that won by Courtly Provacateuring the other guy into Xathid Gorgons, Fog Banks, Stuffy Dolls, and that black enchantment that causes life loss on attack. And Nicol Bolas with no mana fixing

I still won two of five games ( games, not matches). Bolas resolved in both wins. The first time he hit the ground, I gave an all caps LIVE THE DREAM, and my opponent just scooped, despite still being at 20.

I lost my second match horribly because I was building a three color deck with no mana fixing that won by being cute, and thus rightfully deserved to win nothing.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

Any suggestions here?

e: Should I play the stuffy doll, or splash red for the spear and flinthoofs?

RyceCube fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 15, 2012

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Gyshall posted:

Switcharoo + Unsummon is a pretty good combo, if a bit clunky.

My favorite thing to do in M13 draft that can be reasonably pulled off is to switcheroo my archaeomancer for their good creature, unsummon archaeomancer, cast archaeomancer getting back switcheroo (or unsummon if you have another switcheroo :twisted:) and repeat. If you have multiples of switcheroo or unsummon it's just silly.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Phiberoptik posted:

Any suggestions here?

e: Ooops wrong picture, but same cards.

Ride that ridiculous sucker all the way to the win. That's a lot of wolves you've got there.

More seriously, I don't think Mwonvuli Beast Tracker is particularly good. Spiked Baloth is alright, but I think that's the next card to cut. Elvish Visionary does cycle, so I guess that can't really be a cut. I would also take out an Arbor Elf, because ramp isn't especially critical to your deck here. Beyond that... maybe the Boars? They'll almost always just be bears.

EDIT: Stuffy Doll is a matter of choice. In this scenario, you can probably just think of it as a really strong sideboard card.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Phiberoptik posted:

Any suggestions here?

e: Should I play the stuffy doll, or splash red for the spear and flinthoofs?

Holy poo poo that deck :wtc:

Definitely like that spear+flinthoof plan, but that deck is loving absurd what the poo poo seriously.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Thanks guys. I'm really new to magic. Took down first round with ease :)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Monvuli Beast Tracker is annoying. I like having it in some decks, but playing it and then just putting a card on top of your library to draw next turn can be sketchy.

It would be a lot sweeter if it was a May clause, but it isn't. Although in a green/black deck, it can be pretty good (tutoring up Giant Scorpions and Deadly Recluses is never that terrible.)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Gyshall posted:

Monvuli Beast Tracker is annoying. I like having it in some decks, but playing it and then just putting a card on top of your library to draw next turn can be sketchy.

It would be a lot sweeter if it was a May clause, but it isn't. Although in a green/black deck, it can be pretty good (tutoring up Giant Scorpions and Deadly Recluses is never that terrible.)

When it makes you draw Serra Spider, it's good.

Also, it is a "may" ability, in that you can search and just not find anything. But you probably want to.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gyshall posted:

All limited choice searches (ie not demonic tutor) are always may clause, regardless of what is printed on the card. I can't remember if tutors are or aren't, but all others are. (I mostly remember this back from when Mindslaver was A Card)

Card is pretty terrible anyway.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Are there any good sources for buying tickets online through paypal cheaper than from Wizards?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Phiberoptik posted:

Are there any good sources for buying tickets online through paypal cheaper than from Wizards?

This thread is a good place to go asking.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Took down my first draft with that ridiculous green deck earlier :)

e: Would stuffy doll have been worth playing?

RyceCube fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 15, 2012

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Let's try drafting M13 again!

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Phiberoptik posted:

Took down my first draft with that ridiculous green deck earlier :)

e: Would stuffy doll have been worth playing?

Although I really love Stuffy Doll, it just feels clunky and unnecessary in that deck. You have a ton of aggressive, efficient beaters. With that in mind I'd shave the topend and just focus on beating down. If I were to build it I'd probably cut the Gorger, Beast Tracker and either a Huntbeast or the Baloth for the two boars and the Searing Spear. I also really like the second Titanic Growth for some reach (although I doubt you'd need it very often), maybe in place of the Elvish Visionary or even the Recluse.

I really like the toolbox that the Beast Tracker gives to most decks, but she's usually a lategame card in my experience. On turn 3 you'd rather have a Courser or something, and on turn 10... well, there's not going to be a turn 10 against this deck.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Play your Arbor Elves kids

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
So, Avacyn Restored is designed to be played in limited by itself, correct? I assume INN/DKA/AVR would work fine either way.

Are there any other sets like this? Rise of the Eldrazi, I guess?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Kasonic posted:

So, Avacyn Restored is designed to be played in limited by itself, correct? I assume INN/DKA/AVR would work fine either way.

Are there any other sets like this? Rise of the Eldrazi, I guess?

Coldsnap!

Skred Red, baby. Skred Red.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I played Worldwake/Zendikar/Rise once, it was really strange, at least with all the different mechanics in ROE.

INN/DKA/AVR might work a bit better, but I've never played it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hey guys, I think I'm gonna do an m13 draft. Come and watch me be horrible at Magic!
http://www.justin.tv/gonsmithe

Thanks for watching me be not very good at Magic, guys!

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 17, 2012

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Hey guys, I think I'm gonna do an m13 draft. Come and watch me be horrible at Magic!
http://www.justin.tv/gonsmithe

That was a dire fate. :(

Since you're done for the night I guess I will take up the baton! Edit: am done. Thanks for watching!

VVV Edit VVV: Sorry to hear the draft didn't go well. :( Also, I stream Magic so I don't think I am eligible to be cool.

rinski fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 17, 2012

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Well I'm not as cool as Rinski but I'm going to be streaming a draft soon as well.

http://www.twitch.tv/ChewyLSB

Bah that draft sucked.

ChewyLSB fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 17, 2012

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

4-pack sealed. Black looks good, maybe I should play that? I don't think I'll get far with red/green aggro. Too few options. Although I think I'm going to play it..

flyingkiwi fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 17, 2012

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Magic: The Gathing Limited - Dont Cross the Streams

I feel like next time I stream I need an obscure game to play inbetween rounds

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I feel like next time I stream I need an obscure game to play inbetween rounds

Not a bad idea. But Star Control 2 is not an obscure game for anyone who was pc gaming in the early 90's

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

So I thought this was an interesting pick:

Given what I've already drafted, what do YOU guys think is the optimal pick here?

Edit: I should probably tell you guys what I did pick and why.
I took the Serra Spider. I already had two Prey Upon and didn't have a ton against fliers. I think Primal Huntbeast is good, and I was tempted to take it because he's solid and on curve, but with I just feel like Spider does more. I'm not sure if the second Packleader does enough to merit running another 5-drop. I ended up tabling the Prey Upon and didn't even end up playing it because I also wound up with another Recluse and Giant Scorpion. Also, I won the draft because I am the best at this format.

rinski fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 17, 2012

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Im thinking Serra Spider or Primal huntbeast is optimal leaning more towards serra spider for the synergy with your pack leader, and as better thing to use prey upon with.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

The answer is "take the pack and run". You very much want another Prey Upon, but you are kind of lacking beef in your creatures so far. Given that, I'd say Huntbeast or Spider.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Huntbeast triggers Packleader too.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think I'd take the spider but everything I've seen playing screams prey upon. I don't think you can have enough prey upons in this format, and you have (some beef) and 3 death touchers.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Snacksmaniac posted:

Huntbeast triggers Packleader too.

Oh hmm I always think it triggers of power 4 or more. Either way, I still think the spider is the better pick.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Oh hmm I always think it triggers of power 4 or more. Either way, I still think the spider is the better pick.

Me too so I have to actively remind myself its three and up.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'll never forget that after having one in a deck full of those wolves and boars and just having games where I'd vomit out my deck.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

OK joined a four pack sealed on a whim...

Help!

Edit, just noticed Sands. U/B probably

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

rinski posted:

So I thought this was an interesting pick:

Given what I've already drafted, what do YOU guys think is the optimal pick here?

Edit: I should probably tell you guys what I did pick and why.
I took the Serra Spider. I already had two Prey Upon and didn't have a ton against fliers. I think Primal Huntbeast is good, and I was tempted to take it because he's solid and on curve, but with I just feel like Spider does more. I'm not sure if the second Packleader does enough to merit running another 5-drop. I ended up tabling the Prey Upon and didn't even end up playing it because I also wound up with another Recluse and Giant Scorpion. Also, I won the draft because I am the best at this format.

I agree with this except the last part :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Congrats, you're playing the mill deck.

Sands +

Out of blue:
Jace, Talrand's, Entrancer, Drake, Essence, Hatchling

Then probably black for:
Public Ex, Essence Drain, Murder, Cower, Sign in Blood, Rats, Blight

Then fill with whatever.

Might be too fragile on the low end, so maybe drop the black for green to have some critters to gum up the ground. Either way, draw Jace or Sands and win, hooray!