Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Edit: oops, wrong thread. Unless ya'll had some quick questions about decoding mesoamerican glyphs...

(deleted post)

grover fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceslice
May 20, 2005
Clicking page 59 has me so confused I'm not sure what is going on right now.

sants
May 17, 2003

free beavis

grover posted:

Edit: oops, wrong thread. Unless ya'll had some quick questions about decoding glyphs describing mesoamerican combat...

for what it's worth i watched the whole thing

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

sants posted:

for what it's worth i watched the whole thing
So it wasn't a total loss, at least ;)

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

iyaayas01 posted:

It depends...seriously, the only way you are going to get a no kidding answer to this is to actually go talk to a recruiter and start working through the process. Since you have a steady (I assume) well paying job, with DoD no less, you really need to hold out for an officer slot, even if that means waiting a while and reapplying a couple of times, particularly since your GPA and clearance mean you should be fairly competitive.

Remember that if you are looking at going into the Reserves (or Guard, for that matter) things are a little different...you have to meet the basic requirements for OTS/OCS/etc, but you also have to find a unit willing to hire you. If you are serious about wanting to go the Guard/Reserves route, start talking to units that you think you would be interested in working for and see what they have to offer as far as vacancies.

As an addendum to this, you done goofed. From what I've gleaned over the last 18 months or so working with various OSOs and Army recruiters, your application sounds pretty competitive even for an active OCS/OCC spot with the Army/Marines outside of the :420:. And for what it's worth, the guard and army reserve units in my area (Minneapolis) were actively looking for officers as of six months ago or so - but right now not even Captain America would get in if it's known he's smoked a bowl or two. My gut says don't lie because bad poo poo will happen if someone finds out, but someone else here would have more insight concerning how likely that is, or whether or not you should gloss over that, or how much your recruiter needs to know.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
People are getting tossed from the AF for PT tests...getting busted lying to get in would not go ignored.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm in the RC and in an MOS that requires a TS/SCI. MJ usage was not a barrier to enlistment or clearance at all.

If you want to go RC, look for BN/BCT headquarters units or B Co in BSTBs as that is AFAIK always a MICO in BCTs. They all have lots of MI slots at any rate.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

I'm in the RC and in an MOS that requires a TS/SCI. MJ usage was not a barrier to enlistment or clearance at all.

If you want to go RC, look for BN/BCT headquarters units or B Co in BSTBs as that is AFAIK always a MICO in BCTs. They all have lots of MI slots at any rate.

Our B Co is the signal company in the BSTB. I forget which is MI.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Is this the place to discuss a military smiley I want made?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Martello posted:

Is this the place to discuss a military smiley I want made?

Unless it involves crudely drawn dicks, yes.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I know where crudely drawn dicks are, that's my favorite thread. :downs:

So what I was thinking was a :mil101: smiley where it's just like :eng101: or :hist101: or whatever but the smiley wears a camo helmet and holds either the pointing stick or an M4. Not sure which would be better. Either way I'd front the cash, I just don't know how to make such things. Are there any artistic milgoons here who'd be willing to make the image?

If it was a crudely drawn dick I'd be all over it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Martello posted:

So what I was thinking was a :mil101: smiley where it's just like :eng101: or :hist101: or whatever but the smiley wears a camo helmet and holds either the pointing stick or an M4. Not sure which would be better. Either way I'd front the cash, I just don't know how to make such things. Are there any artistic milgoons here who'd be willing to make the image?

The only use for a smiley like that would be a retard officer giving a brief.

I love it.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Exactly. I'm an AS3, so I need it pretty much all the time.

Also, it's good for when :smug:-ly correcting someone's stupid misconceptions about the military.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Martello posted:

Exactly. I'm an AS3, so I need it pretty much all the time.

I'm a PL for a platoon that doesn't exist since they're deploying, an unassigned replacement officer in case another LT gets hurt during mobilization or deployment, and rear detachment commander just in case a deployment slot doesn't open up.

Since I wear a hat or three, I'm :tipshat:

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Replace the m4 with a knife hand and work in a 'flector belt. Preface every post with it for maximum motivation.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
If someone hasn't made one by the time I get out of class I'll take a stab at it.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I only have mspaint so it still needs transparency, but this is what I came up with

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Have an idea for a name yet? I think :chandler: would be perfect.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Sir Lucius posted:

I only have mspaint so it still needs transparency, but this is what I came up with

Beautiful. I think I have Photoshop somewhere but I have no idea how to use it, can I use that to do the transparency thing?

AB posted:

Have an idea for a name yet? I think :chandler: would be perfect.

I expect this is an inside joke I'm not tracking. I still like :mil101: for simplicity, but I could go for something really dumb like :tracking: or :m25910smileypointingmilitary: to imitate ultra-long equipment descriptions. Might exceed the emoticon char limit though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:grover:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
grover is synonymous for mil101!

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
But that smiley actually has way more cred than you grover, its actually been issued a helmet.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

But that smiley actually has way more cred than you grover, its actually been issued a helmet.

Holy poo poo, lost it..

Martello posted:

I'm not tracking

SMA Chandler is the douchiest SMA yet.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

McSpatula posted:

SMA Chandler is the douchiest SMA yet.

poo poo, that's right. I can't believe I didn't make the connection :saddowns:

Then again, I'm a CPT. Why should I pay attention to the NCO support channel? :downs:

I'm buying that smiley. It's gonna be :mil101: unless someone comes up with something better in the next hour.

grover, if you made that version of it, thanks, good work.

Shasta Cola
Jun 16, 2003

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery just mowing us all down.
:lt:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I went with :mil101: mil101

Does it take time for a new smiley to become active? It shows up on the smilies menu.

Never mind, it works.

Martello fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 16, 2012

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Can someone explain how the cross training (I think that's the correct term) really works? My recruiter gave me a huge speech about how if I didn't like my job, I could switch to a new one if a slot ever opened later on. How likely is this to actually happen though? Is it pretty common or is it a BS program that only very few lucky people get to use?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Ziji posted:

Can someone explain how the cross training (I think that's the correct term) really works? My recruiter gave me a huge speech about how if I didn't like my job, I could switch to a new one if a slot ever opened later on. How likely is this to actually happen though? Is it pretty common or is it a BS program that only very few lucky people get to use?

hahahahahaahahahahahaahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

:mil101: When you enlist, sign up for what you want NOW, now what you can MAYBE get when you get in.

It's not unheard of, but when it comes to your military career, always plan on getting hosed. Hard.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

kombatMedik posted:

hahahahahaahahahahahaahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

:mil101: When you enlist, sign up for what you want NOW, now what you can MAYBE get when you get in.

It's not unheard of, but when it comes to your military career, always plan on getting hosed. Hard.

That's EXACTLY what I thought. Luckily I signed for the job I asked for, and all is well. I was just curious because it sounded like total BS to me and wanted some closure. Thanks!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Martello posted:

Then again, I'm a CPT. Why should I pay attention to the NCO support channel? :downs:

:chord::hf::mil101:

Smug noble dog finally has a buddy.

WP CURES PALESTINE
Jun 17, 2011
[ASK] ME about :

LYING ABOUT BEING A US MARINE

HATING ON TRANSPEOPLE BUT SECRETLY DATING ONE

CLAIMING TO HAVE PTSD ON MY OKCUPID PROFILE

HAVING A TRIFORCE TATTOO ON MY NECK

Martello posted:

At least he's not a noble... sadly he's close enough though.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

AB posted:

:chord::hf::mil101:

Smug noble dog finally has a buddy.

Glad to be of service. Morale of the troops is one of the highest concern of a leader. :mil101:

Or at least it should be.

IDR posted:

At least he's not a noble... sadly he's close enough though.

The saddest thing is that Raymond Chandler is such a badass name, and he's not living up to it. The real Raymond Chandler is shaking his head in his grave, a cigar clamped between his teeth.

If they put the proposed sideburn reg into effect I'm getting out.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I don't know if this warrants a thread so I'll post it here:
My step mom who is leading a research project regarding veterans (most who have served in Afghanistan, Liberia or Kosovo) and their families in Sweden together with our Armed Forces, she also teaches classes at a university aimed at future healthcare professionals and social workers.

She is looking for resources that help her and her fellow researchers and students understand veterans and the situation in the Armed Forces around the world. I've recommended some books and movies that I found wasn't poo poo from my limited experience as a conscript in Sweden or has been recommended to me from friends working for the Swedish Army or seen talked about in here. Stuff like: Restrepo, Generation Kill, Catch 22 and Armadillo.

Do you have any good suggestions for her?

Also, why the distinction between War Veterans and Veterans (post-wwii)?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Movies and books really aren't the best way to understand the issues some vets go through, but if you want the most realistic modern war series: Generation Kill.

edit: I guess I missed the part where you listed that. My bad.

2 of my favorite military books are Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Makes-G...+the+grass+grow

and Blood on the Risers
http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Risers-...d+on+the+risers

The first one is about Afghanistan, the second about Vietnam. I haven't read many other books that really seem "real" to me, or at least to my individual experiences which are a little varied, but these two I found enjoyable and easy to relate to.

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 17, 2012

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Of course, and both of us understand that. But as long as it isn't Battleship it hopefully won't hurt.

WP CURES PALESTINE
Jun 17, 2011
[ASK] ME about :

LYING ABOUT BEING A US MARINE

HATING ON TRANSPEOPLE BUT SECRETLY DATING ONE

CLAIMING TO HAVE PTSD ON MY OKCUPID PROFILE

HAVING A TRIFORCE TATTOO ON MY NECK
Just ask Grover. Battleship was true to life

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

IDR posted:

Just ask Grover. Battleship was true to life
Motherfucking documentary reality TV right there.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

In 2 months I'm going to Basra in Iraq for a month doing some pretty tedious technical stuff. This will apparently involve me driving all over the desert in a convoy of armoured SUVs whilst dressed up in something called ballistic armour.

As a fat English coward I need to know;

1] What's the chance of me dying screaming in a vast expanding fireball?
2] What's the weather like? Will I need a rain coat at that time of year?

Many thanks.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
1.) Medium, maybe 35%
2.) Yeah it rains a bit that time of year. Still going to be warm in Basra though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Grampybone posted:

1.) Medium, maybe 35%
2.) Yeah it rains a bit that time of year. Still going to be warm in Basra though.

Oh God drat it. Rain. Really? gently caress my luck.

• Locked thread