Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM
On the subject of the Brotherhood, in FO3, they mention that the peculiar technopaladin thing they have going on is largely due to their Elder, Lyons I think, being a bit weird.
As a result of his odd way of running the east coast Brotherhood, he'd been cut off from support, and a breakaway faction calling themselves the outcasts was trying to re establish themselves as the true east coast brotherhood. So it's not like the western Brotherhood being assholes should come as a surprise to a FO3 only player if they'd been taking in that stuff.

Then you get to New Vegas, the Mojave BoS are dying out as a result of slavishly following the old ways in a changed world, and Veronica mentions a Brotherhood group out east (the FO3 guys presumably) that have a more open worldview, I think with implication that she wishes her lot were more like that.
Though I could be wrong about that last part, been a while since I talked to Veronica on the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I think that the whole idea is that because they are that insular and loyal to their local Elder, each Brotherhood chapter could be a whole different faction, so you get things like the group under Lyons who decide that trading food and protection in exchange for laser rifles is a better deal then trying to fight to get them, and Elijah basically leading the whole Mojave group to their doom by setting a precedent of pointless stubbornness in the face of overwhelming need to change.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Hank Morgan posted:

Do his companion quest and you'll have another shooting gallery at Bitter Springs.

:shepface:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Woozey posted:

On the subject of the Brotherhood, in FO3, they mention that the peculiar technopaladin thing they have going on is largely due to their Elder, Lyons I think, being a bit weird.
As a result of his odd way of running the east coast Brotherhood, he'd been cut off from support, and a breakaway faction calling themselves the outcasts was trying to re establish themselves as the true east coast brotherhood. So it's not like the western Brotherhood being assholes should come as a surprise to a FO3 only player if they'd been taking in that stuff.

Then you get to New Vegas, the Mojave BoS are dying out as a result of slavishly following the old ways in a changed world, and Veronica mentions a Brotherhood group out east (the FO3 guys presumably) that have a more open worldview, I think with implication that she wishes her lot were more like that.
Though I could be wrong about that last part, been a while since I talked to Veronica on the subject.
Calling the actual BoS faction the "Outcasts" makes it seem like the whole BoS is closer to the eastern splinter than the Outcasts were. Even if you read the explanations, Bethesda just really wanted their knights in power armor and made it seem like the BoS were all like that, unless you paid decently close attention.

Does anyone in-game actually say that, by the way? I remember reading that before the game came out.

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
The Outcast vs. Lyon's Chapter conflict could have been a really interesting part of Fallout 3, if it's implementation hadn't been so confusing. The developers chose to have one side devoted to protecting local communities and another focused entirely on scavenging tech, but it's the Outcasts that maintain regular patrols throughout the Capital Wasteland while Lyon's group sticks to the desolate ruins of D.C. Further, the Outcasts uses different ranks and titles, which I kind of get, but with names like 'Protector' and 'Defender' it again makes it seem like this is the faction that's meant to be helping people more than harvesting technology.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Also the Outcasts' poo poo was all smeared with black and red paint, and they'd talk poo poo to the player too for no reason, they were clearly meant to be the "evil" BoS, as opposed to be the "good" BoS, not the original one.

Something like the BoS is just beyond Bethesda.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I don't know how you guys have multiple playthroughs. This is the first rpg I have ever played, and probably the last. As much as I am enjoying it (and that's a lot) I just find it too much work! I guess I am a gaming simpleton who likes having more linear gameplay, but all of the decisions and micromanagement is overwhelming. I have enough of that stress in my real life.

I couldn't sleep last night because my mind was racing and planning what I would do next in the game, what I had to finish off, where I was going to go and so on. On one hand I am surprised how invested in the game I am, but on the other I never want to go through it again.

I am barely halfway through the game and I still have four DLC packs to get through. It will probably take me a year.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

henpod posted:

I don't know how you guys have multiple playthroughs. This is the first rpg I have ever played, and probably the last. As much as I am enjoying it (and that's a lot) I just find it too much work! I guess I am a gaming simpleton who likes having more linear gameplay, but all of the decisions and micromanagement is overwhelming. I have enough of that stress in my real life.

I couldn't sleep last night because my mind was racing and planning what I would do next in the game, what I had to finish off, where I was going to go and so on. On one hand I am surprised how invested in the game I am, but on the other I never want to go through it again.

I am barely halfway through the game and I still have four DLC packs to get through. It will probably take me a year.

I feel you. I absolutely love this game, it's probably my favorite RPG ever, but I'm still chugging through my first playthrough with three factions left to take care of, plus whatever you have to do after all that stuff, and three and a half DLCs on top of that (I've played through some of Honest Hearts). It's great, but when I hear my buddy talk about what he's going to do on his fourth playthrough I can't relate at all.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I can use a jet to give me what

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

I swear one of these days I'll actually get the endings where Caesar wins, but man, that guy's such a shithead that if I'm already that far along an evil route, I'd rather just kill him and let Lanius reign in anarchy. "Yeah, I don't even really believe half of what I'm spouting, but the peons like it. I'm really interested in some bastardized version of Hegelian dialectics. Also, keep mentioning Josh Graham and I'll throw a fit. Guards!"

Plus, he looks like an aging Tito Ortiz.

Yeah, I was all up for doing a Legion run, but the more I listen to Caesar talk the more I feel like he is an idiot. He isn't talking philosophy with me, he is spouting it at me, what he believes and what he doesn't. Considering that from the moment you arrive on the scene he is telling you the final plans of the Legion (in that he plans to create a Legion unlike the current with his new Rome) as though you were always an insider of the pack.

DeathChicken posted:

Also, keep mentioning Josh Graham and I'll throw a fit.

And he does that without your help. Just saying.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

henpod posted:

That's exactly what makes it so loving awesome. I mean, yeah, it's not for everyone, but don't think you're a simpleton for being overwhelmed. It's a complex game and there's a lot of stuff you have to keep track of--but the tradeoff is that there's a lot of stuff you can do however you please.*

The thing is, most modern role playing games model themselves off of action movies. Beautiful set-pieces, quickly sketched characters, lots of violence. And there's certainly nothing wrong with that, but it isn't quite a "role-playing" game when you're shoehorned into a single (or binary) solution to your quest. Again, that isn't bad, but it is limiting.

New Vegas is an old-school approach to the genre. Earlier games like Fallout 1 and 2 and Planescape: Torment were incredibly open-ended. You did what you wanted and paid the consequences. It wasn't just "save my family from a raider camp;" it was "Okay I might save your family by buying them or sleeping with the raider leader, but then again I might just join the raiders and get SLAVER tattooed on my forehead, or I might just murder your family and eat their corpses, then lie to you and say they weren't there, sorry, baby, that's just how I roll."

That is, there's a depth to those kinds of games--or rather, a breadth of choice--that modern games often lack. When you combine that with sharply-written characters and a well-designed over-arching conflict, you get a game that's closer to a novel than a movie. In short, like you said, it's an effort. But there's a reason you'll remember it.

*But I know what you mean. I tried playing SimCity 4 (after growing up on the SNES version of the original SimCity) and I was completely overwhelmed with how much poo poo I had to deal with. I couldn't stand it, though my friend loved it.Then again, he was also ultra-violet on the autism spectrum, and it was his kind of game.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 17, 2012

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Edit; Ignore me!

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 17, 2012

Okimin
Dec 19, 2009

rebel rebel
You should read what he wrote again

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION

3Romeo posted:

It wasn't just "save my family from a raider camp;" it was "Okay I might save your family by buying them or sleeping with the raider leader, but then again I might just join the raiders and get SLAVER tattooed on my forehead, or I might just murder your family and eat their corpses, then lie to you and say they weren't there, sorry, baby, that's just how I roll."

Man, I remember as a kid being so amazed at how FO2 let you join the slavers if you so wished, it just seemed so unreal compared to all the linear games I had played for years where you were always the typical good guy. I was even more surprised that carried it's own consequences, like the tribal guy outright refusing to join you because of it.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Hank Morgan posted:

Do his companion quest and you'll have a shooting gallery at Bitter Springs.

Oh that's right. One of my favorite action sequences in the game. Especially the wave where they come around the ridge from the south and you just take every last enemy down as soon as they appear. And the radio writeup afterwards just makes it feel even better.

Another good one is the last segment of Honest Hearts, the fights are spaced out too wide but given the thematic circumstances it feels just so right to at least think to yourself "We're on a mission from God."

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Police Automaton posted:

Also the Outcasts' poo poo was all smeared with black and red paint, and they'd talk poo poo to the player too for no reason, they were clearly meant to be the "evil" BoS, as opposed to be the "good" BoS, not the original one.

Something like the BoS is just beyond Bethesda.

In NV the major factions represent something. The BoS represents an obsession with the past. The NCR is modern day America. The Legion shows the terrible things that human beings are capable of doing to others in the name of ideals, a charismatic leader, or just plain conditioning and fear. Bethesda, on the other hand, makes the BoS the good guys because they have cool power armor! The Enclave are the bad guys because they were bad in the last game :downs:

Bilal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 17, 2012

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I've been wondering - so Jet was invented by the post-War soceity, right? Are all the other drugs pre-war stock, or are people making more? Can people make more Rad-X, for example?

Arcade implies that they can't, and that they're entirely depend on old stock, but you can craft stimpacks, and Julie will make you one a day.

I can understand the other chems being common, given how overpopulated the US was, and stuff like the New Plague, but why is Pyscho so common, when it was a miltary drug? The fact that you can inject yourself with 200 year old needles you find in the den of crazed tribals is pretty :cry:...

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jet was invented by Myron in Fallout 2, but then he got himself killed and no one remembers, because gently caress Myron.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Bilal posted:

In NV the major factions [i]represent[i] something. The BoS represents an obsession with the past. The NCR is modern day America. The Legion shows the terrible things that human beings are capable of doing to others in the name of ideals, a charismatic leader, or just plain conditioning and fear. Bethesda, on the other hand, makes the BoS the good guys because they have cool power armor! The Enclave are the bad guys because they were bad in the last game :downs:

Fallout 3 becomes reasonable once you realize everyone is a super-villain, and human concepts, such as emotion and logic, are alien to them.

Merry Magpie fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 17, 2012

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

OldMemes posted:

I can understand the other chems being common, given how overpopulated the US was, and stuff like the New Plague, but why is Pyscho so common, when it was a miltary drug? The fact that you can inject yourself with 200 year old needles you find in the den of crazed tribals is pretty :cry:...

Psycho was pretty drat rare in Fallout 2, being a mix of shady combat stimulants inside experimental delivery needles designed near the onset of the great war. It wasn't even implied to be mass-produced.

Then Fallout 3 completely ignored the "rare as poo poo" bit for I'm guessing gameplay reasons.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

scamtank posted:

Psycho was pretty drat rare in Fallout 2, being a mix of shady combat stimulants inside experimental delivery needles designed near the onset of the great war. It wasn't even implied to be mass-produced.

Then Fallout 3 completely ignored the "rare as poo poo" bit for I'm guessing gameplay reasons.

Probably for gameplay reasons. As good as drugs are in the modern FO games, they were far more powerful in 1 and 2. A single dose of Psycho made you drat near invincible if you paired it with a good set of armor. In New Vegas you can stack Psycho and Slasher, Mentats and Party Time Mentats, etc on top of each other and their bonuses still aren't as tangible as they were in the old games. I don't even use Buffout in New Vegas, whereas I popped it all the time in Fallout 2 (I name my Orc characters in Elder Scrolls games "Buffout" still.)

We have to remember that the player characters in Fallout games are basically superheroes. The PCs amass hundreds of thousands of caps, kill hundreds of people, hoard miniguns, rocket launchers, and gold bullion etc. Even though I have 50 doses of Psycho in my inventory, that doesn't mean that it's not rare. I'm just The Courier and have access to everything in the universe.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
gently caress Vault 22, im not ever going there again.

Are Mr.House's quests worthwhile? From what I see online you don't get any caps or XP - should I just kill him now?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

henpod posted:

Are Mr.House's quests worthwhile? From what I see online you don't get any caps or XP - should I just kill him now?

I'm pretty sure that if you don't side with him, he has to die.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

henpod posted:

You do get caps and XP. But more importantly, House is one of the factions you can side with for the main plot, along with the NCR, Caesar's Legion, and Yes Man.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Ohio State BOOniversity fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 10, 2017

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

henpod posted:

The grand finale of Vault 11 is incredible.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

henpod posted:

Wait until you see Vault 34. Bring lots and lots of Rad-Away, and listen to anything that makes you feel calm, happy thoughts. Because you are going to hate every second of that miserable hellhole.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
What's the best light armor? The wiki doesn't sort armor by that category so it is tough to know all the different types. Sierra madre reinforced looks like the best if you're after DT, but are there clothes that give good enough bonuses to be worth the DT loss?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I think I might just outright kill him now, this game is taking me forever and I have the DLC's to play through. I may just end his mission tree there and then. I like the idea of siding with Yes Man since he is so helpful.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Molybdenum posted:

What's the best light armor? The wiki doesn't sort armor by that category so it is tough to know all the different types. Sierra madre reinforced looks like the best if you're after DT, but are there clothes that give good enough bonuses to be worth the DT loss?

No. Sierra madre reinforced is the best light.

Dr. mobius' scrubs are pretty good for clothes. 6 DT CHR +1, INT +2, Science +15. Clothes don't get any better than that.

I recommend the signature armor mod and picking an outfit you like the look of. It makes any outfit decent.

Cousin Todd fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 17, 2012

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Molybdenum posted:

If you're oriented toward critical hits, Josuha Graham's Armor (15DT/8WG) provides a 3% bonus to those, and Ulysses' Duster (13DT/3WG) tops that with a 5% chance. Stack it with Light Touch and the 1st Recon Beret. If you're limited to base game content, you could do worse than Vault 34 Security Armor (16DT/15WG.)

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Ohio State BOOniversity fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 10, 2017

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
I'm having way too much fun in Zion. I haven't done anything story wise except meet up with Follows-Chalk. I've found almost 30 places already. It's a fun place to explore. I love the tribal markings everywhere, too.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Angry Boat posted:

As for the Legion: I really wish I could continue along Caesar's questline up until the brain surgery without being branded a terrorist by the NCR. Any way?

Look out for terminals and duffel bags. There's a great story and an awesome secret reward for the curious.

Ooh theres a reward? I've found 3/6 of them and so far it goes from :black101: to :smith:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DeathChicken posted:

Jet was invented by Myron in Fallout 2, but then he got himself killed and no one remembers, because gently caress Myron.
Then his soul reincarnated into Boone so there's that

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

sitchelin posted:

Wait until you see Vault 34. Bring lots and lots of Rad-Away, and listen to anything that makes you feel calm, happy thoughts. Because you are going to hate every second of that miserable hellhole.

I still have never beaten Vault 34.

I really should just make a Chemist/Logan's Loophole doctor who just hulks out, and then beat the poo poo out of all those loving ghouls with whatever blunt implement best suits me.

In fact, that's gonna be my next game. Might as well use all those chems I pick up.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Ok. i'm not going to vault 34. Those assholes in their bunker can suffocate.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

henpod posted:

Ok. i'm not going to vault 34. Those assholes in their bunker can suffocate.
It sounds horrible (doing this tonight).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

The Vaults are the worst locations in the game. I can't stand trudging through them. I've gone through each one in previous playthroughs, and now I avoid them completely. It's all the tedium of crappy old dungeon crawls where everything looks the exact same without any interesting combat or puzzles.