Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Leovinus posted:

Oh, yeah. It's great how the characters are now disproportionate and wildly varying in quality, and the menus and text have all the visual style of someone's first Flash game. Vast improvement.
All the "HD" packs for FF7 PC are garbage. Just play the PSX version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Play it on the PSP - it still looks drat good on the smaller screen. And it's portable!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

flyboi posted:

It was mostly a test, I just grabbed the first model pack I could find. I ended up throwing it all out and finding an old copy of the original FF7 pc so I could load all the mods into it. The difference in quality is night and day and honestly I would not purchase the re-release. It's total garbage.

This is how FF7 *can* look and sound on pc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e18Ay2kJE4

Oh Jesus the sound effects are terrible.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Just did - kicked my new-PC-version save out to a converter and played the original on an emulator after getting annoyed with the poor port. way better experience, and a speedup button.

It also gave me a laugh to see exactly how unreasonable that 99,999,999 gil achievement is - I took a team up to Level 99 (grinding Magic Pots over the course of two TV episodes), beat Emerald and Ruby Weapon, did every sidequest and mastered near-enough every Materia, and at the end of all that I had maybe 10,000,000gil. A little more if I sold off some Mastered stuff.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

flyboi posted:

It was mostly a test, I just grabbed the first model pack I could find. I ended up throwing it all out and finding an old copy of the original FF7 pc so I could load all the mods into it. The difference in quality is night and day and honestly I would not purchase the re-release. It's total garbage.

This is how FF7 *can* look and sound on pc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e18Ay2kJE4

You can't claim the re-release is visually/aurally garbage when it's exactly as FF7 ever was. The re-release runs just fine and the only real point of concern is the DRM.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Leovinus posted:

Just did - kicked my new-PC-version save out to a converter and played the original on an emulator after getting annoyed with the poor port. way better experience, and a speedup button.

It also gave me a laugh to see exactly how unreasonable that 99,999,999 gil achievement is - I took a team up to Level 99 (grinding Magic Pots over the course of two TV episodes), beat Emerald and Ruby Weapon, did every sidequest and mastered near-enough every Materia, and at the end of all that I had maybe 10,000,000gil. A little more if I sold off some Mastered stuff.

Master All Materia en masse, sell that poo poo off, watch the money roll in.

It was pretty much the only way to make Gold Chocobo breeding semi-tolerable.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I remember playing and loving FFT as a kid back when Blockbuster still (was around?) rented PS1 games. I've tried to pick it back up a couple of times, but thanks to the R1/L1 thing, both times I just game over'd at the second battle. :suicide: I haven't put forth any real effort to the game since then because me and SRPGS have a very rocky relationship.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 19, 2012

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Oxxidation posted:

Master All Materia en masse, sell that poo poo off, watch the money roll in.

It was pretty much the only way to make Gold Chocobo breeding semi-tolerable.

All Materia sells for 1.4 million. You're gonna have to do a shitload of grinding to make 99,999,999.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Leovinus posted:

All Materia sells for 1.4 million. You're gonna have to do a shitload of grinding to make 99,999,999.

You'd need 71 of them alone, if you had 2x8 slots for 3 characters that would only be two trips with 25 slots in aggregate you could use for abilities (over the two trips) vOv

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There's no Square-Enix megathread
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/subaseka/
New TWEWY coming up?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Calaveron posted:

There's no Square-Enix megathread
New TWEWY coming up?

Someone's NoScript on neogaf popped up gree.com and apparently that's a Japanese mobile game developer, so...

Most likely not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Update happened. It's the backing track for a song (no vocals, no real drive to it), a very black city. and the timer reset with 6 days listed next to it. Update everyday with more of the song and image, probably.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Azure_Horizon posted:

Someone's NoScript on neogaf popped up gree.com and apparently that's a Japanese mobile game developer, so...

... a TWEWY mobile social game? FINALLY, the sequel everyone's been waiting for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Krad posted:

... a TWEWY mobile social game? FINALLY, the sequel everyone's been waiting for.
Might just be an advertising tie-in. Relax.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Subaseka refers specifically to TWEWY, so it's that at the very least. Likely an announcement of some sort.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I'm avoiding this thread until I can finish FF13-2 (too many spoilers) but here's a rip of the new CALLING remix from the TWEWY teaser site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgKc3HMGhtU&feature=relmfu

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
gently caress betting on Chocobo Races. This is fuckin' bullshit, you can't even fuckin' save in this rear end place. I wish they'd let you breed Chocobos early so you could, y'know, actually get GP instead of relying on these carney games of chance.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

Update happened. It's the backing track for a song (no vocals, no real drive to it), a very black city. and the timer reset with 6 days listed next to it. Update everyday with more of the song and image, probably.

The counter inexplicably goes off your computer clock, so if you set it to Thursday you can hear the Calling remix fully and see a mildly brighter background pic of a city. The days after Thursday don't work, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think that's the full calling remix, actually. It's missing some of the vocals and instrumentation you'd expect.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Endorph posted:

I don't think that's the full calling remix, actually. It's missing some of the vocals and instrumentation you'd expect.

Each day seems to update it slightly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

Each day seems to update it slightly.
Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The White Dragon posted:

gently caress betting on Chocobo Races. This is fuckin' bullshit, you can't even fuckin' save in this rear end place. I wish they'd let you breed Chocobos early so you could, y'know, actually get GP instead of relying on these carney games of chance.

When I play the basketball game it's not a game of chance. :smug:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I bet it's just going to be a port of TWEWY to iOS.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Perhaps this new TWEWY website is somehow related to gaslamp games. They both have a countdown on their website about 10 hours apart from each other :v:
http://www.gaslampgames.com/

Rolling Start
Jan 11, 2012
Square-Enix sure is teasing a lot of stuff lately: http://www.finalfantasy13game.com/astormgathers/

Maybe it'll be about Versus XIII. Of course it won't.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Rolling Start posted:

Square-Enix sure is teasing a lot of stuff lately: http://www.finalfantasy13game.com/astormgathers/

It says right on the page what it's about

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rolling Start posted:

The suspense was killing me.

On the bright side, I'm sure it'll be in the $20 bin as quick as 13-2, which was a pretty good buy at that price!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rolling Start posted:

I really, really want FFV13 not to be vaporware :smith:.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Silhouette posted:

I bet it's just going to be a port of TWEWY to iOS.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
Really?

"The "Lightning Saga" that started with the release of FINAL FANTASY XIII, has achieved a cumulative shipment of over 9.6 million units; and in May 2012 FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 was brought to conclusion with the add-on content entitled "Lightning's Story: Requiem of the Goddess".

Key members of the FINAL FANTASY XIII development team including the Producer, Director and Art Director, are in preparations to present new information about the direction of Lightning's story. This presentation will take place at an event in Tokyo to celebrate FINAL FANTASY 25th Anniversary, on 1st September 2012."

All that text and Square still can't just say 'yeah, so we're doing XIII-3.'

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Wonderful they call it the "Lightning Saga", when she's barely in XIII-2.

That's like watching an Indiana Jones film where he's at the very begining, leaves, and returns for the remaining five minutes at the end. And then they release a directors cut with more of him, where nobody likes it.

And they couldn't even give it a satisfactory conclusion either.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

13 is about Lightning
13-2 is about someone else looking for Lightning
13-3 is about Lightning's mom
13-4 is about Old Lightning

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It might be cliche, but I'd play a buddy cop game featuring Lightning and Sazh.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
They really should've done the "Sazh Saga" instead. Then people might actually be excited.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tempo 119 posted:

13-4 is about Old Lightning

Fister Roboto posted:

It might be cliche, but I'd play a buddy cop game featuring Lightning and Sazh.

Combine these two together, and get Old Lightning played by David Hayner, and I would play the poo poo out of this.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

13-Acid! is actually pretty cool guys.

Oh right, the i was the !.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Rolling Start posted:

Maybe it'll be about Versus XIII.

Confirmed: SE renames Versus XIII to FF XIII-3, now starring Lightning.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Winks posted:

Really?

"The "Lightning Saga" that started with the release of FINAL FANTASY XIII, has achieved a cumulative shipment of over 9.6 million units; and in May 2012 FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 was brought to conclusion with the add-on content entitled "Lightning's Story: Requiem of the Goddess".

I'd be really interested in seeing a better breakdown on that data, using shipped figures alone always seems dubious to me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Square-Enix Presents Motomu Toriyama's Katzroy, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Dajh Katzroy SaGa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Gunslinger posted:

I'd be really interested in seeing a better breakdown on that data, using shipped figures alone always seems dubious to me.

6.7 Million units sold (worldwide) for FFXIII
2.5 Million units sold (worldwide) for FFXIII-2: Revenge of the Sequel

That's roughly 9 million units sold cumulatively.