Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Is there any way to remove the Google+ Instant Upload notification on Jelly Bean, without disabling all Google+ Notifications?

I just got a Galaxy Nexus and I love it, but my Atrix on Gingerbread never notified me for Instant Uploads. It's really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

LastInLine posted:

Do you keep Titanium backups?

No, unfortunately not.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Frozen-Solid posted:

Is there any way to remove the Google+ Instant Upload notification on Jelly Bean, without disabling all Google+ Notifications?

I just got a Galaxy Nexus and I love it, but my Atrix on Gingerbread never notified me for Instant Uploads. It's really annoying.

Tap the 'Notifications' text in Google+ settings, it'll drill down into another menu where you can remove the upload notifications.

It's incredibly unintuitive - why the hell they don't use the system on/off slider (like in the wifi menu) is beyond me. The way it is now, it looks like notifications are an all or nothing thing, and that's not the case.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

No, unfortunately not.
Then unless someone here has the old apk (like maybe the guy who mentioned this issue) you can't go back. Even then you'd still have the problem where it would bug you to update it forever since Play Store dissociations seem to be broken.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Is there an android games thread? I'm specifically looking for a good tower defense game and maybe a plarformer or something. Also I just got a nexus 7. What should I get?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

There is, it's in the games forum

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483273

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is there any means to get rid of some of those apps in that list? Namely the free ones I downloaded ages ago and have since uninstalled?

I've tried googling how to do that a few times and I think I've only seen complaints about not being able to. But perhaps there's some voodoo now that I'm not aware of.
This is my one serious gripe about Play. The ever increasing size of the list, and no way that I know of to trim it. It looks like you can't even remove apps that are no longer supported, or were deprecated, have a new entry in the store, etc., like Awful vs. Awful Betamax.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Jabs posted:

This is my one serious gripe about Play. The ever increasing size of the list, and no way that I know of to trim it.

Exactly this. The list gets bloated so fast that it quickly ceases to be useful. I've gone through several data trackers and WiFi toggles and I no longer remember which are the useful ones and which are useless from looking at my history list.

And as ExcessBLarg! said, its difficult to find an explanation for this anywhere.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't ever think of switching from Foobar2000 on my desktop so I'm looking for something like that for my HTC Evo V. Syncing things from Google Play is wonky on this poo poo and I'd like to have something more reliable. When I say "wonky" I mean that when I tell Google Play to keep a playlist on my phone, it will save that playlist but when I try to browse for songs on that playlist, it will say they aren't on there. I'd really like something like Foobar2000 that I can use to browse through my phone's folders to select which folder I'd like to use as my music folder. I love the word folder.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
Does the official Tumblr app suck for anyone else? It cuts off wide images and doesn't play gifs. Is there a better option?

Speaking of bad apps, the mail client on my phone is pretty terrible. What does everybody use for (non-gmail) email?

Something I meant to ask about ages ago. Is there a phone browser that can read alt-text on images? I've been pretty happy with, but not particularly attached to Dolphin, so an add-on for that'd be fine.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GoodNews sounds pretty nice, but I'm not much of an RSS reader. Is there a way to use it only has a Podcast reader and be able to input only podcasts via URL and not have to tie it to Google Reader?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

GoodNews sounds pretty nice, but I'm not much of an RSS reader. Is there a way to use it only has a Podcast reader and be able to input only podcasts via URL and not have to tie it to Google Reader?
No, you must use Reader to manage subscribed podcasts. There is no interface for searching for or adding podcasts from the app alone.

That having been said, no one's forcing you to add RSS subscriptions to Reader and you already have a Google account so the only hurdle you're facing is going to Reader and adding the podcasts you want.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Jervas Dudley posted:

Does the official Tumblr app suck for anyone else? It cuts off wide images and doesn't play gifs. Is there a better option?
Shortblogger for tumblr.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

scuz posted:

Syncing things from Google Play is wonky on this poo poo and I'd like to have something more reliable. When I say "wonky" I mean that when I tell Google Play to keep a playlist on my phone, it will save that playlist but when I try to browse for songs on that playlist, it will say they aren't on there.

In the same vein, I can't get anything in YouTube to stick around via the "Watch Later" option, for which I have the "cache for offline viewing" option ticked (same issue on ICS and Gingerbread). Does this work right now for anyone else?

Also, I'm running a stock AT&T S3 and the new Maps update has locked the phone solid four times now. And just like Gmail, rolled it back and everything's great again. :wtc: Google? What core gapps are left to break?

Titanium Backup is awesome, but I really wish they'd fix the "break Market association" option. It's retarded that the only things I want that feature for are Google apps.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 20, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

In the same vein, I can't get anything in YouTube to stick around via the "Watch Later" option, for which I have the "cache for offline viewing" option ticked (same issue on ICS and Gingerbread). Does this work right now for anyone else?

Also, I'm running a stock AT&T S3 and the new Maps update has locked the phone solid four times now. And just like Gmail, rolled it back and everything's great again. :wtc: Google? What core gapps are left to break?

Titanium Backup is awesome, but I really wish they'd fix the "break Market association" option. It's retarded that the only things I want that feature for are Google apps.
It doesn't help you any but the new Maps work great for me. Same with all of the core gapps, actually.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

No, you must use Reader to manage subscribed podcasts. There is no interface for searching for or adding podcasts from the app alone.

That having been said, no one's forcing you to add RSS subscriptions to Reader and you already have a Google account so the only hurdle you're facing is going to Reader and adding the podcasts you want.

Guess I'll finally take the time to mess around with Reader.

Thanks for the input!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Guess I'll finally take the time to mess around with Reader.

Thanks for the input!
I'll be honest and say I prefer it this way. How often do I search for and add a podcast subscription? For those rare occasions I'll go to the computer and do so and when I listen to them I don't have to wade through all the UI for searching for and managing podcasts, they're just there queued up for playback.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I'll be honest and say I prefer it this way. How often do I search for and add a podcast subscription? For those rare occasions I'll go to the computer and do so and when I listen to them I don't have to wade through all the UI for searching for and managing podcasts, they're just there queued up for playback.

I'm liking it so far, but for some reason, I can't get them to auto queue or even download automatically.

I'm trying to get it somewhat like I have BeyondPod set up where it will download the item (manually since it's the free one) and have them wait for me when I'm ready to play them later.

The particular podcast I listen to updates around noon or so every day, unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to change it except in a predetermined "every 4, 12, etc. hours" thing.

However, if I can get it to work close to how I like it, I could definitely see switching over. The UI is much better than BeyondPod and it's cheaper to buy the pro version.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Splizwarf posted:

Caching subscriptions works fine for me. Watch Later... not so much, but I think that's because it's hard limiting how much it can cache to only 4 or 5 things and my subscriptions eats up all of that. Which is a shame. I wish they'd just let you mark something for cache instead, and delete cached things you don't want (like things I already watched on web for example).

Also it only caches things if you're on WiFi and charging if you didn't know.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm liking it so far, but for some reason, I can't get them to auto queue or even download automatically.

I'm trying to get it somewhat like I have BeyondPod set up where it will download the item (manually since it's the free one) and have them wait for me when I'm ready to play them later.

GoodNews/Menu/Settings/Podcasts

Download after sync/Wi-Fi only
Add to play list/checked

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Goose Halo posted:

GoodNews/Menu/Settings/Podcasts

Download after sync/Wi-Fi only
Add to play list/checked

Thanks for this! Giving it a try now.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

It doesn't help you any but the new Maps work great for me. Same with all of the core gapps, actually.

Yeah, I'd go ahead and blame that on Samsung, they work flawlessly on stock JB.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Can anyone tell me a good music player? Doesn't need to be fancy. It's just the stock one really gives me the shits. If I feel like playing a specific song it clobbers the rest of the playlist so I have to screw around to get it all playing again. I just want non retarded jumping to a track. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

General_Failure posted:

Can anyone tell me a good music player? Doesn't need to be fancy. It's just the stock one really gives me the shits. If I feel like playing a specific song it clobbers the rest of the playlist so I have to screw around to get it all playing again. I just want non retarded jumping to a track. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

Obligatory PowerAmp plug.

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011
So I made a live wallpaper thing, in the interest of draining batteries. I'd love some feedback if anyone is interested in being a guinea pig.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Ephemeral

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

General_Failure posted:

I believe you can get the Cyanogenmod stock player, Apollo, on XDA somewhere.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I am looking for an app to measure walking distance, using GPS or whatever. I found a really nice walking path near my home, but it doesn't have any distance markings and is too new to appear on Google Maps for an aerial approximation. Anything like that exist?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Aatrek posted:

I am looking for an app to measure walking distance, using GPS or whatever. I found a really nice walking path near my home, but it doesn't have any distance markings and is too new to appear on Google Maps for an aerial approximation. Anything like that exist?

Strava? Endomondo?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

krushgroove posted:

Strava? Endomondo?

I'm going to assume that those are app names, and that you're not having a seizure.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Aatrek posted:

Seconding Endomondo. It's what I use for tracking my walks.

Here's a walk I took the other day, to show you the output it produces.

I've got the paid version, I'm not quite sure what the difference is compared to the free version; I got it when it was on sale a while back.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Aatrek posted:

Check out Google My Tracks. It's the best, and syncs directly with Google maps when you're done.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Another Endomondo recommendation. Get all kinds of cool stats. I got if for .10 when they were doing the big sales so I'm not sure how the free version is. But it has all kinds of sports to track as well as walking.

example, my bike ride last night

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Geektox posted:

I believe you can get the Cyanogenmod stock player, Apollo, on XDA somewhere.

The only thing I dislike about Apollo is that it doesn't seem to want to show my album art in the resolution it should. It compresses everything.

Other then that I wish it had more settings since it's really nice.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I have a weird issue with Go SMS Pro.
Today, I've received 10+ sms messages from c1000. With the text: For selected contacts, Private Box let you hide notification, encrypt and secure messages with a password.

Is Go sms sending me spam? If so, why?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I got that too, I think it comes with every update they do. When the lower right corner of the app has a little message from them, it's usually a spammy sort of message encouraging me to upgrade to the Pro version.

That private message box, though...drat, that's perfect for cheaters.

Aatrek posted:

I'm going to assume that those are app names, and that you're not having a seizure.

I tried Google My Tracks years ago also, but Strava and Endomondo have more features and I had a lot of lost GPS tracks with My Tracks at the time (in rolling hills/woods on a bike). Not sure what My Tracks is like now though.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 21, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
How well does EndoMondo handle something faster like a motorcycle or car? Is there anything in the route-tracker vein whose output can be synched with a video stream (like a GoPro or similar)?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

beedeebee posted:

I have a weird issue with Go SMS Pro.
Today, I've received 10+ sms messages from c1000. With the text: For selected contacts, Private Box let you hide notification, encrypt and secure messages with a password.

Is Go sms sending me spam? If so, why?

Yeah, they do that. It's really annoying and I wish I could find a better SMS app.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I hate everything about Go<whatever>. They insert a bunch spam into your launcher and their sms app has turn into a giant ad for more of their products. Actually that's what all of their products are at this point.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

rotaryfun posted:

I hate everything about Go<whatever>. They insert a bunch spam into your launcher and their sms app has turn into a giant ad for more of their products. Actually that's what all of their products are at this point.

Yeah, this always bothered me about GoSMS and forced me away from it. Now I'm using stock and SMS Popup and it's a pretty good setup. I wonder if Handcent is any better...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

rotaryfun posted:

Yeah it annoys me too. Sadly I can't seem to find a better launcher that has the uninstall thing that Go has (long press --> uninstall app) and I really love that feature. Are there any other launchers that offer that and the ability to resize widgets?

• Locked thread