Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

SBJ posted:

This thread is huge so I apologize if this has already been asked, but does any goon living in Sydney do krav maga? There is only like one place that teaches it (although they have 3 branches) and I want to know if they are any good or not. I haven't been able to find a review other than "testimonials".

Either way Im going to the induction so I can just go by the writeup in the OP. But it would be great to find a review by a goon.

I'd be wary of any given krav maga place at the onset. The majority of them tend to have some sort of scam attached to them.

e: VV what he said VV

Novum fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

SBJ posted:

This thread is huge so I apologize if this has already been asked, but does any goon living in Sydney do krav maga? There is only like one place that teaches it (although they have 3 branches) and I want to know if they are any good or not. I haven't been able to find a review other than "testimonials".

Either way Im going to the induction so I can just go by the writeup in the OP. But it would be great to find a review by a goon.

Not to get into the merits or demerits of practicing Krav Maga, but it's a very, very young martial art and you should be able to track a legitimate instructor back to the creator (Lichtenfeld) in few steps. In South America, at least, the real instructors are taught by Kobi Lichtenstein who in turn was Lichtenfeld's student.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, so my finger was both fractured and dislocated. It was obvious on the X-rays even before the doc looked at them. Now I'm in a splint for at least a week, which is super loving annoying. The doc warned me that I might have trouble getting full movement back unless I kept it as immobile as possible. On the up side, I get to mock everyone who told me to just harden up because it was just bruised.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Harden the gently caress up mate

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Glad I'm not the only one who gleefully steps into matches with injuries! Everyone knows you're not properly injured until you let yourself go cold.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I've probably set myself a precedent :(

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
No turning back now!

Speaking of turning back, here's Lloyd Irvin talking about his experience with self defense and martial arts. It may have been poster before, if so I must have missed it, and I apologize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxTdnUI9DxM

He goes into the applications of various martial arts and the situations they could be good in (and not so good in), and also talks about his own home invasion, which is pretty loving intense, especially when he covers the adrenaline dump he experienced.

I like to think I live in a pretty safe place, at least as far as weapons. I can't remember the last time I read about any violent knife injuries, and I don't think anyone's been killed by a gun here in the last decade (with the exception of two deaths, both by cop~), but it sure as hell makes me think about how I'd react if I suddenly find myself in a mortally dangerous situation, especially when you're as sheltered as I probably am in terms of violence.

Then again, it also probably means I could get away with more hugging as self defense than someone who lives in Maryland! :v:

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Suleman posted:

Freeplay is only really done
1. In the intermediate class, on mondays, which I cannot yet attend due to being a disgusting newbie.
2. In free training, e.g. after the regular class.
So during most classes, we stick to the drills. However, Guy tries to make sure to add elements of freeplay to them. For example, in dagger training, he encourages movement and activeness from both participants. He *hates* seeing people standing around, waiting to be attacked, unless the exercise specifically demands it. One basic example would be the attacker using his free hand to attack, if the defender doesn't do their thing in time.

So, in short: We don't focus on freeplay, but it's an available option, and our non-freeplay training isn't too restrictive either.
That's excellent. Staying to spar after regular class was sorely lacking in Turku because we didn't have a proper salle and just rented out school gyms, so we had to clear out pretty fast after training. We were just starting to move away from the dumb way of doing drills the last time I was in training, and I was really happy to see the way it's progressed when I watched the dagger seminar video in work yesterday.

I guess I'll see you at training some time after the next semester starts, then. Can't wait to train properly again.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

He's pretty much spot on. Grappling arts are the in thing right now because of UFC. That's fine. Just understand the more global arena you live in.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Lloyd Irvin keepin it real. The major problem with some (particularly traditional) martial arts is that they're being disingenuous regarding what they were created for.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Thanks for sharing that. Fantastic video.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimbo305 posted:

What does a bone bruise feel like? I've had a knot on my shin that's hurt when struck or pushed on for maybe 2 months now. A little extra fluid pooled up compared to my other leg, which I kick more with.

I checked with my coach and he thought the long time sounded like a bone bruise more than a muscle bruise. He said to keep an eye on it through end of Sept for how much it's improving/not improving. If it's still significant by then, to go see a doctor.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Lloyd Irvin is the man. A while back someone on here posted a video of one of his former students using BJJ to neutralize a drunken lunatic in a restaurant. Ryan Hall if I'm not mistaken.
Plus he likes to help his students get rich.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Today was weird in BJJ. After a failed triangle I was being smothered with my body bent in the most awkward way and I realized how much of a difference breathing and keeping your head level actually makes. I honestly think the small amount of yoga I've been doing in the past two months are greatly helping in this area. Yoga, like BJJ, is mostly about breathing in a controlled manner while your body gets bent in the worst positions. I endured his smothering in an almost pleasant way and managed to get a mount from that.

It was also surprising to roll with a guy more skilled than me but who was so nervous and twitchy he couldn't land anything successfully. Knowing that nerves are a big part of game is one thing, but actually seeing it in person is another one entirely.

Today was one of those epiphanic training sessions that happen only too rarely. Granted, I only rolled with other white belts, but drat if it doesn't feel good to be able to actually land guard passes and sweeps and keep a dominant position. And breathe. Just being able to breathe normally saved my rear end a lot of times today.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Went to a tournament this past weekend and popped a rib in the semi-finals match. Still won and went on to get smashed in the final because it hurt too bad.

I have to say this is the most awful injury I can say I've sustained. Any tips on how to handle this?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I asked a mate about popped ribs since he had one the other month. He said he saw a doctor and the doctor manipulated the rib back into place and told him to take anti inflammatories and be real careful about his posture and movement. Healed up in about two weeks.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

TheKingslayer posted:

Went to a tournament this past weekend and popped a rib in the semi-finals match. Still won and went on to get smashed in the final because it hurt too bad.

I have to say this is the most awful injury I can say I've sustained. Any tips on how to handle this?

I had this and I did the following :

Go see a doctor to make sure nothing was actually fractured/my lungs weren't getting poked. This is actually very important and you should do it (especially if it's one of the lower ribs) even if it's an hassle unless you're somehow 100% sure that this is not it. Doc might also be able to replace it if it's necessary.

Take a couple of week off. I think I took something like 2-3 weeks off but I don't remember exactly.

Accept that it'll stay painful. It took something like a year for me to stop feeling it when someone was pinning me. I never tapped because of it but I wanted to a couple of time. It does go away with time though, unfortunately you need lot's of said time.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I had a medic check me out and it's just a cartilage thing. Thankfully. Just after my elbow healed to.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Cyphoderus posted:

Today was weird in BJJ. After a failed triangle I was being smothered with my body bent in the most awkward way and I realized how much of a difference breathing and keeping your head level actually makes. I honestly think the small amount of yoga I've been doing in the past two months are greatly helping in this area. Yoga, like BJJ, is mostly about breathing in a controlled manner while your body gets bent in the worst positions. I endured his smothering in an almost pleasant way and managed to get a mount from that.

Did he stack you too far forward and you rolled him over the top of you into a mounted triangle? God I love that.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 21, 2012

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

TheKingslayer posted:

I had a medic check me out and it's just a cartilage thing. Thankfully. Just after my elbow healed to.

Great, then just take a little time off (did the medic recommend something?) and then start slowly. I'd suggest asking someone to get you in a pin and slowly increase the pressure to see how it feels and you can decide if it's healed enough to get back to training. You might be able to drill stuff in 2 weeks but not be good enough for rolling so take it slowly.

Better take 3 week off now than be out for over a month because you went back too quickly.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Gah, I keep loving up my strong (right) leg pinky toe. Before I had a problem with distance and would always be too far from the bag. Always trying to land on the curve of my foot. I've gotten a lot better at keeping it at my shins but I don't know it keeps whipping around and smacking the bag and It's getting all sorts of bruised/inflamed/painful after every session. I don't know if subconsciously I adjust my distance at the last second because I want to hear a harder "whack" sound, or what. It seems like it would be hard to buddy tape my pinky toe but I could at least wrap tape around for padding I suppose.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

KingColliwog posted:

Great, then just take a little time off (did the medic recommend something?) and then start slowly. I'd suggest asking someone to get you in a pin and slowly increase the pressure to see how it feels and you can decide if it's healed enough to get back to training. You might be able to drill stuff in 2 weeks but not be good enough for rolling so take it slowly.

Better take 3 week off now than be out for over a month because you went back too quickly.

Just some ice every now and again in case of swelling and NSAIDs. Just taking it easy. That's a good idea, I still plan to go and sit in on classes to absorb what I can. I will certainly miss rolling though :(

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Since everyone's taken care of the medical stuff; Congratulations for picking up a silver medal!

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Bohemian Nights posted:

Since everyone's taken care of the medical stuff; Congratulations for picking up a silver medal!

Indeed, it's been a long time since I've competed but I still remember how it all goes down. Way to go dude.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

TheKingslayer posted:

harden the gently caress up?

Chokeslam
Jan 1, 2007
Make him humble

TheKingslayer posted:

ribs are annoying, there's not alot you can do except rest them and avoid and movements which cause pain. cartilage can take a while to fully heal, might want to take a couple of weeks off completely, then very gradually add movements which you can do without pain. depending on how severe the injury you could be back to full speed anywhere between a few weeks or months. just take it very slowly.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Novum posted:

Indeed, it's been a long time since I've competed but I still remember how it all goes down. Way to go dude.

The only person I lost to the whole day was another team member who had a lot more experience than I did. It was a good feeling to see people from our gym sweep the top three of Featherweight Gi and No-gi.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Today there was an submission wrestling competition co-hosted by our local MMA club and Judo club.

I got in three matches;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZRJzF0KrJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbgLUoZry6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLrOi8mizOY

First match, I'm actually disqualified because I wasn't paying attention to the rules, and the rules said no toeholds (but it's cool, it's my team-mate, so I'm happy to lose!)

Second two matches were fine. Really struggling for that triangle (against a judo blackbelt, apparently!) in the second match, but I have serious issues with people who have thin necks, but whatevs. I almost haven't trained at all for two months, so I'm happy I survived the competition at all.

I chose to pull out of the Semi finals because the only people that were left on top in my division were my own team mates/students, and I would rather see one of them win and get competition experience-- and I did! Full medal jackpot for my dudes in every weight, so I'm super happy with everything except my own performance, but well, you get out what you put in, and I put absolutely nothing in. :v:

Oh, and I'm wearing a suit.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

Today there was an submission wrestling competition co-hosted by our local MMA club and Judo club.

I got in three matches;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZRJzF0KrJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbgLUoZry6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLrOi8mizOY

First match, I'm actually disqualified because I wasn't paying attention to the rules, and the rules said no toeholds (but it's cool, it's my team-mate, so I'm happy to lose!)

Second two matches were fine. Really struggling for that triangle (against a judo blackbelt, apparently!) in the second match, but I have serious issues with people who have thin necks, but whatevs. I almost haven't trained at all for two months, so I'm happy I survived the competition at all.

I chose to pull out of the Semi finals because the only people that were left on top in my division were my own team mates/students, and I would rather see one of them win and get competition experience-- and I did! Full medal jackpot for my dudes in every weight, so I'm super happy with everything except my own performance, but well, you get out what you put in, and I put absolutely nothing in. :v:

Oh, and I'm wearing a suit.

Nice job, Im guessing youre a purple belt? You were good and active from the bottom, it would be cool to one day see a goon grappler who actually has a little bit of wrestling ability and doesn't immediately pull guard but you're a foreigner so Ill take what I can get. In the third match when you gave up turtle and then rolled through to the guys leg that was pretty dope

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Wow, if you really think I'm a purple belt, that's the nicest jits compliment anyone's ever given me. I'm forever a BJJ white belt, unfortunately! (I'm a TJJ green belt ;( )

One of the main reasons I'm not really happy is my lack of wrestling. I swear I'm better in practice! One of the few things I'd been drilling before this comeptition was arm drags and single leg pickups, but of course as soon as I'm on the mat~~

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bohemian Nights posted:

Wow, if you really think I'm a purple belt, that's the nicest jits compliment anyone's ever given me. I'm forever a BJJ white belt, unfortunately! (I'm a TJJ green belt ;( )

One of the main reasons I'm not really happy is my lack of wrestling. I swear I'm better in practice! One of the few things I'd been drilling before this comeptition was arm drags and single leg pickups, but of course as soon as I'm on the mat~~

Are you the gimp in the vids? Nice work

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I've never seen anyone wear a suit like that. Why?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
that fake turtle giveaway into a roll was glorious. Also the suit is ridiculous I love it. Isn't it super slippery under your foot though?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Did you feel like a jackass for getting disqualified while wearing a body condom?

Cool rolls though!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
^^ I quickly understood what had happened, and I was mostly laughing about it. You feel a lot LESS ashamed wearing a mask, so it has that going for it. ^^

Yeah, that turtle roll thing is something I manage to pull off from time to time. You can end up in all kinds of crazy positions, or just back into open guard, but I usually like toeholds from there. I really like toeholds in general!

Also, the suit wasn't just slippery under my feet, it was pretty slippery everywhere, especially if it gets sweaty.
The grip itself was fine, and people seemed to be able to grip me with reasonable ease, but when I was surfing over people, I could definitely feel that i was sliding around more than I would be with just my bare skin, so holding people down was a little harder. It was pretty much like wearing rashguard all over your body, and it was mostly weird because it covered the legs, so I guess I'd experience the same thing with spats.
I don't know for sure that it was worse for that, but it was certainly a different experience!

You can hear and see just fine (unless you're told to identify someone from 10 meters) through it, you can even drink straight through the mask. I think it's called a morphsuit , and that it's originally the kind of stuff people who do green screen work in movies wear. Breathing was slightly laboured, but it didn't become an issue in these matches.

Oh, and as for the why, just because it looked like it could be fun. Another dude does it in a red suit on youtube, and I've been curious about it since then. Had a dry test with it before on Sunday, but that's it. People seemed to love it, and it was fun, so it's justified in my mind!

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 21, 2012

Seabreeze
Aug 13, 2011
Hey, anyone here do any FMA (Filipino MA)? I just started practicing a branch of Kali Ilustrisimo called Bahad Zubu.

Pretty fun and I'm pleased so far by the emphasis on sparring and relatively basic attacks/defenses.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Haha, holy gently caress that costume...

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Seabreeze posted:

Hey, anyone here do any FMA (Filipino MA)? I just started practicing a branch of Kali Ilustrisimo called Bahad Zubu.

Pretty fun and I'm pleased so far by the emphasis on sparring and relatively basic attacks/defenses.

I did some back in college but damned if I know one system from another. It was definitely a lot of fun.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Don't wear shorts over the suit bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I wore them for the extra grip since the legs were otherwise so slippery. In hindsight, I should have had knee and ankle protectors on as well!

• Locked thread