Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Berious posted:

Has anyone mentioned how horrible this game plays with keyboard and mouse yet? Because, drat. Could just be the game that tips me over into buying a controller.

I 100% Sleeping Dogs using nothing but mouse and keyboard. There is a known issue with the mouse sensitivity, try to disable Vsync. As of version 1.3, there shouldn't be any other issues with M&K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

mutata posted:

I abandoned trying to figure out the mouse sensitivity poo poo about 2 minutes in and never looked back. I'm a "mouse and keyboard or death!" kind of guy, but I've just gotten tired of kicking against the pricks on it when the game was designed for controllers.

It still pisses me off when I have to shoot though.

Yeah the PC port is beyond expectations for the most part, but it feels like they didn't tune the controls for a mouse at all.

Sevorast
Sep 13, 2011

Incoming!

Parkingtigers posted:

If roundhouse kicking zombies in the face is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Amen.

Really hoping some of the upcoming dlc actually have some substantial 'meat' to them. So far all I picked up was the silver top dog pack to speed up my progression on playthrough 2. Triad points are the hardest to come by, so that was what I was paying for basically.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't know what problem you guys are having. I have no qualms about calling out lovely PC ports, especially when it comes to things like not giving enough of a poo poo about the game being playable to code out mouse acceleration (I am getting a refund for Ghost Recon Future Soldier for this exact reason, what a pile of poo poo), but once I turned the sensitivity down for the mouse controls, the shooting sections became easy mode. I mean, the game is already pretty easy, but I found the melee combat much more challenging than flipping over tables and taking human shields and shooting people in the head in slow-motion, and I end almost all my car chases by shooting the super-pressurized tires on cars that cause them to flip through the air when ruptured. The worst thing I can say about the shooting is that the guns seem to have a little excessive stray, or Wei limp-wrists like a motherfucker or something, but that's really no big deal since most engagements are at very close range.

e: vvv I'm pretty sure there is only one vehicle shop in the game that doesn't sell a motorcycle. AFAIK there's four shops and three bikes you can buy.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 21, 2012

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

How do I buy a motorcycle in this game? I only see autoshops that sell cars but I only like driving motorcycles in these sandbox-type games :colbert:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Kukash posted:

So I've beat the game and now I want to try to %100 it.

I'm missing 1 job and 2 events. I've completed all of Roland and Trans missions. Any idea what the last job is? Also, is there a way to tell which random events you haven't done?

Stealing armoured cars a few times counts as a job, did you get a few of those?

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

Stealing armoured cars a few times counts as a job, did you get a few of those?

Hmm, no I've only stolen 2 and now I see there is an achievement for stealling 5 so maybe that's it. Just gotta find those last random events then.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
There should be a new game+ so that you can actually wear the suits designed for certain missions and actually sing the songs you like in karaoke. Stuff like that. Not just starting all over again.

narujoe
Feb 16, 2012

Holy Cheese posted:

Crazy, Stupid, Love.... is that a romance thing? Can't be doing with that. I'll try whatever Easy A is.

As everyone else has already stated, you absolutely cannot go wrong with zombieland; that's where my emma stone fever kicked in. And that's actually just what her voice is, in some interview she said she had colic when she was a baby, resulting with her "husky voice". I think it really adds to her personality, and helps set her apart.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Aphrodite posted:

Wasn't Deus Ex a whole new mission?

There was one that came out later, but early on there was a lovely add-on that you also got for free if you pre-ordered from some places. There was also some kind of praxis points and money DLC, and some kind of explosive weapons DLC I think.

I think the thing that was a whole mission that came out later on was overpriced, but the day 1 stuff was pretty much the same deal- early/easier access to stuff that's already in the game.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
I dont know why everyone is complaining about triad points?

I had my triad skills maxed out first, perhaps your just not being brutal enough to the enemies?

Because making sure they suffer before they die rakes you in a few extra points?

Cop points were what I had trouble getting because I enjoy driving through fences and people and stuff.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I FINALLY found that last event I was missing. Turns out that it was one of the drunks, and they only turn up at certain times of the day. Still, 100% and the sweet sweet plat. Over 40 hours of drat good times. A++ would play again.

I just realised while grinding out the last of the Triad points, that this is one of the very few open world games that actually has secondary characters change their clothes once in a while. That's such a great way to sell the realness of the world, because it does suck when all the NPCs always wear the same outfit in every scene. Just that one small attention to detail made the story so much richer.

United Front, you guys are beautiful people. Thanks for making such an amazing game.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

This is literally the best game over message ever :colbert:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you didn't spend your cop EXP to beeline to the 'get a shotgun from police cars' perk I don't even know why you're playing this game.

See a group of drug dealers who are, at worst, armed with one knife, ram stolen police car at full speed into the crowd, bail out, begin firing shotgun wildly, steal the police car that comes to arrest the crazy guy firing a shotgun in the middle of Hong Kong's commercial district, go on a city wide police/triad chase that causes countless civilian casualties.

I'm the best cop.

edit: And I did it all in my underwear, because I'm a Saints Row player, you see.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrunkPanda posted:

How do I buy a motorcycle in this game? I only see autoshops that sell cars but I only like driving motorcycles in these sandbox-type games :colbert:

The first autoshop I visited (east side of North Point) had an old busted-rear end Kawasaki-alike from the 80s. So I can only assume they're out there, but maybe they've got unlock requirements like plot progression?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Parkingtigers posted:

If roundhouse kicking zombies in the face is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

So down for this.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

DrunkPanda posted:

The car dealers also have motorcycles in stock. My favourite bike was actually Wei's starter vehicle, but you'll need a class A cycle for races anyway so worth grabbing one of those at least.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cardboard Box posted:

Yeah the PC port is beyond expectations for the most part, but it feels like they didn't tune the controls for a mouse at all.
It feels like they didn't tune the camera, period. Platform doesn't matter. :colbert:

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

Climbing up and over absolutely everything would have been fun (see The Saboteur for more details) but it would have been a different game.

what a weird excuse.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

flamingdawg posted:

what a weird excuse.

Excuse for what? If you can't see how making Wei be Chinese Spider-Man climbing up the side of skyscrapers would be a different game then I really can't help you at all.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Parkingtigers posted:

Excuse for what? If you can't see how making Wei be Chinese Spider-Man climbing up the side of skyscrapers would be a different game then I really can't help you at all.

On the other hand, Ezio from Assassin's Creed still isn't much of an Italian Spiderman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhHhXukovMU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

coyo7e posted:

It feels like they didn't tune the camera, period. Platform doesn't matter. :colbert:

I dunno I haven't had too many issues once I plugged in a controller, except for the camera occasionally going to weird angles while driving.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Parkingtigers posted:

Totally agreeing with this. Adding climbable skyscrapers and a fully realized woodland area means they have to add additional focus to those areas and spend more development time making them work. Just the sheer amount of work it would take to make a full forest with trails you can walk aroind is a fuckload of effort for, what, mountain paths that you can walk along? I can't imagine it adding a whole lot to the game if Wei could climb a tall building and jump off it, really.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I think being able to climb anything would take quite a bit away from the game really. This game is all about flow, in combat, while driving, while running, moving over and through as smoothly and hopefully as uninterrupted as possible. Waiting the five minutes it takes to climb up that building to discover yet another empty rooftop or possibly group of three thugs would slow the pace right down.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
I wouldn't want Assassin's Creed style parkour at all, god no. On the other hand, it still seems as though the world was designed from the get go to be needlessly restrictive in terms of which routes you can take while driving around. Maybe in real life Hong Kong is a maze of nothing but tightly packed tall buildings, but that still wouldn't explain all the pointless unbreakable fences.
Also, saying something would take too long is a good enough reason for why it's not in the game, it excuses the developers, but it doesn't render a criticism invalid.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

narujoe posted:

As everyone else has already stated, you absolutely cannot go wrong with zombieland; that's where my emma stone fever kicked in. And that's actually just what her voice is, in some interview she said she had colic when she was a baby, resulting with her "husky voice". I think it really adds to her personality, and helps set her apart.

So it's nothing to do with auditions then. Fine, I'll watch Zombieland. Downloading off of itunes is odd, it keeps telling me there was an error for a film I downloaded ages ago. I have two icons for loving Batman and I don't even like the film anymore. You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off, said the agent to Emma Stone. My train of thought is horrible.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I just finished the Tiffany mission that was being discussed a few pages back and I have to agree it feels out of place or at least poorly timed. Immediately after finishing it I bashed her face into the wall a couple of times until she went down. Nobody does that to Wei :colbert:

Edit: Also the Parking Lot guy is fantastic. "Oh I wish I could live your life for just one day" as I ride off on my awesome bike.

VVV I should have done that but everytime I grabbed her, Wei bashed her into a wall. Wei wanted to do it, I swear :v: VVV

Cowman fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 22, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

The proper way to do it is to shove her in her own car's trunk and drive it into the ocean.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
You have to remember that they are doing a very good smoke and mirrors job of making the city look and feel larger than it is. The actual amount of streets in the game is pretty small, and it's only because you have to drive around the outside of the island, or take a slow twisty path over it (both of which are accurate to the real thing in terms of general layout) that make it less obvious how small it all is. Lots of skyboxes and artificial views of buildings that aren't actually there on the other side of some of those fences. When you go to Victoria Peak and look out across the city, most of those buildings don't actually exist in the game world.

I can see the restrictions, and I can see how others might be bothered by those restrictions, but I also see that they were trying to make limited resources go a lot further than they otherwise might. Ultimately the city is open enough, free enough, and detailed enough, to sell the setting and the story. I love that they made a small part of the city incredibly detailed, and basically faked up the long distance views. That worked. That worked really well. Very cleverly done.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I spent about twenty minutes just now on Tran's steal car missions but put in my own little twist of making sure every single car I drove had a body in the trunk.

At one point I got an 18k triad into the trunk of a car after killing his buddies, drove him to the most public area I could find, dragged him out and smashed his head in the door. Beautiful.

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

though i made a comparison to assassin's creed, i'm not necessarily looking for full on skyscraper-scaling since that would be a tad too fantastic. but the ability to climb on top of shop awnings and and parkour across them creatively like the low-level stuff in ac would be superb and add a lot to the feel of flow, especially in chases. you can do it on top of cars and buses and stuff, and it's quite fun, but it has little application to the urban environment itself.

it's just frustrating to have systems in the game that you don't have the freedom to use effectively. and it's not just some walls you can't climb, it seems to be most of them.

then again, even foot chases with cops are completely trivial to escape so it wouldn't really add a lot, i guess.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

flamingdawg posted:

though i made a comparison to assassin's creed, i'm not necessarily looking for full on skyscraper-scaling since that would be a tad too fantastic. but the ability to climb on top of shop awnings and and parkour across them creatively like the low-level stuff in ac would be superb and add a lot to the feel of flow, especially in chases. you can do it on top of cars and buses and stuff, and it's quite fun, but it has little application to the urban environment itself.

it's just frustrating to have systems in the game that you don't have the freedom to use effectively. and it's not just some walls you can't climb, it seems to be most of them.

then again, even foot chases with cops are completely trivial to escape so it wouldn't really add a lot, i guess.

Stories about weird cyberpunk assassin flashbacks tend to be a bit different in tone and style from gritty Hong Kong crime dramas. The whole point, in fact, of most of the more thrilling chase scenes of Hong Kong crime dramas is a normal guy trying to navigate a city through normal means, instead of just spider-maning up an apartment building.

That'd kinda cut the chase short, you see.

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006

Glitterbomber posted:

Stories about weird cyberpunk assassin flashbacks tend to be a bit different in tone and style from gritty Hong Kong crime dramas. The whole point, in fact, of most of the more thrilling chase scenes of Hong Kong crime dramas is a normal guy trying to navigate a city through normal means, instead of just spider-maning up an apartment building.

That'd kinda cut the chase short, you see.

i just thought the parkour might figure a bit more heavily into the open world gameplay that's all, no need to patronise me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't feel like there's much to the game after beating it. There's not a lot of variety to the side mission stuff and you can replay the missions, but there's not really much incentive to do so since there's not really any different ways to do the missions.

It was a fun game but too short, and I wish I'd have rented it instead of bought it.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't feel like there's much to the game after beating it. There's not a lot of variety to the side mission stuff and you can replay the missions, but there's not really much incentive to do so since there's not really any different ways to do the missions.

It was a fun game but too short, and I wish I'd have rented it instead of bought it.

I agree about the lack of things to do, but this is one of the few open-world games that really had me going through the story. I didn't even finish GTA4 because the story frequently dragged on too much and just got tedious. With Sleeping Dogs, I still got a good 18 hours out of it and I definitely think it was worth the purchase. I'd like to see them do more in this genre, and really properly polish their next game, so I hope giving them money for this will influence that.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
How do I action-hijack a motorcycle? I've tried various times to do it and I guess I'm missing something. Is it a really short window or something that has to be done on a much more accurate scale than regular action hijacks?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Syrant posted:

How do I action-hijack a motorcycle? I've tried various times to do it and I guess I'm missing something. Is it a really short window or something that has to be done on a much more accurate scale than regular action hijacks?

I don't think you can.

Also, stupidly obvious hint on action hijacking - don't just go behind the car, go slightly to the left. Wei has to jump out of his car after all.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And you can't action-hijack from a scooter, just a real motorcycle. Which is an odd limitation but I guess he just can't jump high enough off of a scooter.

This game is actually smaller than a lot of sandboxes, both in terms of geography as well as what you can do, but what it does well, it does REAL well.

I hope that it could be used as a stepping stone for the developers when they make Sleeping Dogs 2 or whatever else they might want to make. They've clearly got talent, drive and ambition and I dare say that most projects that have been rescued from the trash bin --twice!-- never, EVER turn out this good.

I also have to echo what Parkingtigers said about this game having surprisingly decent female characters. Hong Kong's seedy underworld may be a man's world full of sexist asswipes but the game gives the women very decent emotional dimensions even if they're only around for one or two missions. I'm finding myself wishing I knew more about Peggy or Mrs. Chu, or especially Inspector Teng.

Hydrogen Oxide
Jan 16, 2006
H2Woah
I wish I hadn't forgotten about the side missions to steal cars for Tran. I must have spent an hour betting on cock fights to try to save up enough money to buy all the class A cars and bikes and whatnot. Then I remember I have to do the Tran missions for 100%, and immediately start stealing cars worth 300k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Speedball posted:

And you can't action-hijack from a scooter, just a real motorcycle. Which is an odd limitation but I guess he just can't jump high enough off of a scooter.
Like the fact that you can't action hijack a motorcycle, it's probably just a bug or a quick fix for another issue when the developer ran out of time. You can't hijack off a moped either.

Hydrogen Oxide posted:

I wish I hadn't forgotten about the side missions to steal cars for Tran. I must have spent an hour betting on cock fights to try to save up enough money to buy all the class A cars and bikes and whatnot. Then I remember I have to do the Tran missions for 100%, and immediately start stealing cars worth 300k.

From what I remember, doing all the assignments for Tran should give you 3 million HK$. This said, if you're going for 100% completion, you still need to make 1 million HK$ through gambling so it's not like you wasted your time for no reward.

Kryopsis fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 22, 2012

• Locked thread