Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Aside from the Neo Geo Pocket stuff, I can't think of a single handheld fighting game port from before the PSP/DS generation that wasn't complete garbage.

Amazingly, the GBA version of Street Fighter Alpha 3!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDJHR-kk0hc

Of course it's held back by its hardware, but not in a SF2 on GB style "why even try?!" fashion. For instance it has all the characters and then some!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wonder how close it actually is to the real thing... I remember trying the GBA versions of SF2, Guilty Gear, etc and while they looked good at first glance the were actually really hilariously broken.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Gutcruncher posted:

Amazingly, the GBA version of Street Fighter Alpha 3!
It wasn't exactly a "port", but the GBA port of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo is also pretty good from what I remember. I got it for Christmas one year before I got really into fighting games (which I will always suck at :smith:).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCflTjwrQKQ

Speaking of pockets and fighters, where the gently caress is the port/HD remake of Pocket Fighter? My brothers and I used to play the gently caress out of the PSOne version and I think it would be great online (especially since Capcom did a HD Remake of Puzzle Fighter, which used a lot of the same sprites). Unless Capcom decided to charge $20 like they did for the port of that JoJo whatever game, I would totally buy it.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

xamphear posted:

I wonder if they were worried that the game would be too easy, and that if he knew the tricks, he'd breeze through it...

How wrong they were.

I think to a certain degree they want it to retain that feeling of the average gamer playing it under his own power. You know, preserve the retro feel from back when these games were popular and before the internet. Much like back then, every so often he might get a "hint" from his "friends", but nothing that wasn't really common knowledge. I'm also not convinced the AD's knew about some of it themselves, since they also seem to only bring one or two common tricks to any game and seem to be missing other pieces (eg Tsuroka knowing about the Bony Bridge Warp in Bonk's Adventure, but not knowing how to pull it off until Toujima looked it up and found out how to float by spinning).

Still, things like using the shell 1up trick, missing the Top Secret Area, and not saving by re-completing previous castles/ghost houses killed me a little bit.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
The GBA version of SFA3 would've probably been pretty drat close to the other versions of the game if the guys who ported it would've been allowed to use a bigger cart for it, but with the Capcom being the cheap bastards they are, they had to settle with stuffing the game into 8 megs.

The end result is still pretty good and it's nice being able to switch the various World Tour extra crap on and off at will instead of having to beat it and level up each respective character you want to apply those bonuses on.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Xik posted:

During the Gameboy segment they showed off Street Fighter II, has anyone played it? It honestly looks like a terrible port, it's a wonder they even bothered trying to cram it onto that hardware. I wonder how many kids bought that after playing the arcade or a console version and regretted it.

I've actually been wanting to buy a copy since it's got some really strange Super Game Boy enhancements. You could see some of them in the episode (the enhanced palette and the stage screen borders) but the two player mode wasn't shown at all.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Help me out here. What episode has that mega-retro videogame store? It's the same one where Arino buys a grab bag of famicom games, and there's a rare famicom title for doing your taxes or something.

Also, can you post the location of that place too?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Help me out here. What episode has that mega-retro videogame store? It's the same one where Arino buys a grab bag of famicom games, and there's a rare famicom title for doing your taxes or something.

The store is Kanteidan and it appears in episodes 5 and 30.

As for the location, the address given in the episode seems to be wrong. It's the same store but the front doesn't match the episode at all. I had to check all of their locations in Chiba to find the one that matches what we saw. The address for that location is Chiba-ken, Narashino-shi, Akanehama, 1丁目1−1.

And of course this google map has the locations Arino has visited all marked out.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Aside from the Neo Geo Pocket stuff, I can't think of a single handheld fighting game port from before the PSP/DS generation that wasn't complete garbage.

The Game Boy version of MKII was surprisingly playable. Ran faster even than that Street Fighter II shown earlier. Even more surprising when you compare it to how horrific the first MK was on the Game Boy.

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
I have SFII on the GB, it plays really badly. Street Fighter Alpha on GBC is quite good though, I tried it out on the Gamecube GB player recently & thought it held up. Some of the SNK ports on GB were ok as well, not NGP quality but good considering the system.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Anyone interested in what a live, US version of GCCX would be like might want to check out these two videos from the recent Evo fighting game event, where one of the competitors plays I Wanna Be The Guy Gaiden, the sequel to one of the most purposely unfair games in history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixgagswag8M - Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bsCiM49e8o - Part 2

Warning - All together these videos are around three hours long. Gameplay starts at around 14 mins in the first one.

The problem with things like this (and especially with the I Want To Be The Guy games) is that they're largely unedited so you just keep seeing them fail time and time again at the same parts because the game is designed to be bullshit hard and stupid. What separates GCCX from the hundreds of people are who bad at video games on youtube is the Arino actually is pretty funny himself and, very importantly, the 14 hours of him playing the game usually quite badly is cut down to 40-45 minutes per episode so you don't have to see every failure for those 14 hours.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Circle Nine posted:

The problem with things like this (and especially with the I Want To Be The Guy games) is that they're largely unedited so you just keep seeing them fail time and time again at the same parts because the game is designed to be bullshit hard and stupid. What separates GCCX from the hundreds of people are who bad at video games on youtube is the Arino actually is pretty funny himself and, very importantly, the 14 hours of him playing the game usually quite badly is cut down to 40-45 minutes per episode so you don't have to see every failure for those 14 hours.

I don't know, I enjoyed that video for much the same reasons I enjoyed the Arino live videos. Seeing and hearing the crowd react adds a lot to the experience. It doesn't hurt that I find it hilarious to see someone struggle for 20 minutes with a hard section, only to get insta-killed by a bullshit trap that they couldn't have possibly seen coming.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Lock posted:

The Game Boy version of MKII was surprisingly playable. Ran faster even than that Street Fighter II shown earlier. Even more surprising when you compare it to how horrific the first MK was on the Game Boy.

Mortal Kombat 1 on Game Gear was actually a very faithful port. I think it was missing a character or two, but it looked and played very well.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Ineffiable posted:

I don't know about the store, but the title you're thinking of is Wakusei Aton Gaiden for the Famicom Disk System. I do recommend you play it, if only for the odd experience of playing a decent shooter made by a government agency.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

redmercer posted:

I don't know about the store, but the title you're thinking of is Wakusei Aton Gaiden for the Famicom Disk System. I do recommend you play it, if only for the odd experience of playing a decent shooter made by a government agency.

What about

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

That's not quite up to my standards of decency.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Much how I assume real life would turn out, I never made it past basic training. :argh:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

redmercer posted:

That's not quite up to my standards of decency.

Did you play it? It had a metacritic of 83 an won a bunch of editor's choice awards

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Man I came into the Borderlands 2 thread to get hyped about Borderlands 2 but now I'm more hyped about the idea of reinstalling America's Army cause my friends and I had an absolute blast taking turns on that bridge level back in the day.

Totally cool game but you spend a lot more time waiting around and hiding than shooting. I played the sequel on Xbox and that was total garbage but the original has a special place in my heart for sure.

Edit: I was genuinely worried I was going to be recruited into the military for installing that game :ohdear:

Double edit: This is not the Borderlands 2 thread

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 23, 2012

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Well that was interesting. You should watch some Game Center CX while you're at it, buddy!

Skeeter Green
Aug 15, 2001

24 strings

Random Stranger posted:

As the counter point I kind of liked it. Not my favorite but I generally like it when Arino has to suffer through a godawful game that no human should have ever played.

I went ahead and watched the raw since Dragon Ball holds a special place in my heart, despite understanding next to no Japanese. It does seem kind of underwhelming. I did like the bits before and after the commercials where the narrator pretended to be the Dragon Ball narrator, and the picture of Son Arino. Overall it wasn't that bad (I'm sure I'd enjoy it more if I knew what was being said) but Arino didn't suffer nearly enough playing that game. Maybe it isn't as hard as I thought it was as a kid?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Abe is pretty awesome. He basically just hangs back and calls em as he sees em.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I suspect my life would be better in general if I had a Cameraman Abe to follow me around and set me straight in all things

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
It bugs me that I automatically read his name as Abe (Lincoln) rather than A-beh in my head. :|

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
I think that's just a pronunciation thing and it's completely normal if you're a native english speaker.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The overwhelming majority of English-first speakers would pronounce it like our president because, frankly, that's likely whom most people heard about first with that name outside of maybe Abraham from the Bible and they sure don't call him Abe.

It would honestly be weird to hear someone whose native tongue is English pronounce it the Japanese way.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Really? Say it, it doesn't sound too weird. Ah-bay.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Why would it be weird? His name isn't Abe like Abraham. I dunno, I try to pronounce things correctly as far as I know them but some things are more automatic, I guess.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Well, my point was more if you're an American or someone who knows the tiniest bit about American history but nothing about the Japanese language then there's like a 100% chance you'll say it like you're saying Abe Lincoln. I'm saying it would be weird to hear some American pronounce it the Japanese way without prior knowledge as to how to speak their language. Therefore it's totally natural to stumble over trying to say that name the Japanese way when you've heard the "American" way for probably as long as you can remember.

I can tell you for a fact I struggled with the same thing as there is/was a famous singer in a girl group called Morning Musume named Abe Natsumi that sometimes appeared on Downtown's Hey!Hey!Hey! show with the group and when I saw the subtitle but didn't hear them speaking(now I'm focusing on reversing that situation when I watch stuff like GCCX) my mind immediately said "oh!, Abe(Lincoln)". Just takes a few times of repeating the Japanese way to get it to sink in.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 24, 2012

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
If everyone was just forced to watch 2-3 subbed anime series we would fix so many of these problems...

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Even I end up thinking of him as Abraham-Abe half the time when I see his name in English, so don't feel bad. I have the same problem with Hide (as in the J-rocker) and Date (as in the detective from Yakuza). It would help to have an "é" in there.

It's only natural that your brain will go with the pronunciation you're most used to using when seeing a certain combination of letters. For example in the game Apollo Justice there's a character called Klavier, and I found it very interesting that myself and all my Canadian friends pronounce it "klavi-AY" (due to our mandatory French classes) whereas my American friends pronounce it "klavi-AIR." The latter is likely more correct (it could also be "kla-VEER"), yet I still can't help but pronounce it like it's French.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 24, 2012

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

zari-gani posted:

(it could also be "kla-VEER")

Yeah, this is closest to the German pronunciation, which I would assume to be correct as Klavier Gavin is supposed to be German, right?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks to English dub of Akira, I thought for the longest time you pronounce Ryu as Roy. :v:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
It's obviously "RYE-you", duh.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

birdlaw posted:

Yeah, this is closest to the German pronunciation, which I would assume to be correct as Klavier Gavin is supposed to be German, right?

In the English version he is, but I think they gently caress around with this in different versions; I think he's (at least part) British in the French version, no idea on the Japanese or other versions.

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011
Don't know why, but the japanese and spanish pronunciation is almost the same, with the exeption of japanese the silent "u". So things like Abe, Ryu, gaiden, have the same pronunciation in both languages

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Joctan posted:

Don't know why, but the japanese and spanish pronunciation is almost the same, with the exeption of japanese the silent "u". So things like Abe, Ryu, gaiden, have the same pronunciation in both languages

Probably something to do with the historical influence of Portugese on the transliteration of Japanese script into the Latin alphabet.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!
"A-bay" doesn't look like an "Abe" kind of guy, so that's how I keep it seperate pretty easily. Though I'll always call Ryu by the American pronunciation because it just sounds wierd the other way.

On a related side note, my mom and her side of the family is from the deep south, but we were raised in the non Chicago half of Illinois. I picked up my moms way of saying Tuesday and coupon (tee-yous-day and queue-pon). I was made aware of this in my teens and it took years for me to say those words the normal for this area way without thinking about it (im still do on occasion). Unlearning something can be tough.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

zari-gani posted:

Even I end up thinking of him as Abraham-Abe half the time when I see his name in English, so don't feel bad. I have the same problem with Hide (as in the J-rocker) and Date (as in the detective from Yakuza). It would help to have an "é" in there.

It's only natural that your brain will go with the pronunciation you're most used to using when seeing a certain combination of letters. For example in the game Apollo Justice there's a character called Klavier, and I found it very interesting that myself and all my Canadian friends pronounce it "klavi-AY" (due to our mandatory French classes) whereas my American friends pronounce it "klavi-AIR." The latter is likely more correct (it could also be "kla-VEER"), yet I still can't help but pronounce it like it's French.

I do that too, even though I'm nowhere near fluent in French. :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

FireCar posted:

coupon (queue-pon).

Huh, didn't realize that my pronunciation of "coupon" is apparently a "South" thing.

Also, perhaps it's my massive, uncoordinated gaijin tongue, but getting "ryu" into one syllable never feels as comfortable as "gyo" or "nya".