Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Belan
May 7, 2007
Turn the in-game antialising OFF if you're going to use the resolution fix. Otherwise you can't see anything but the UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Quick trip to Blighttown and no framerate issues. Smooth as silk.

It almost does not feel like Blighttown anymore. :unsmith:

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Holy crap, what mess this port is. I really hope they atleast patch some of this poo poo because ive been itching to play more ever since i finished the game on my 360.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Toiwat posted:

Quick trip to Blighttown and no framerate issues. Smooth as silk.

It almost does not feel like Blighttown anymore. :unsmith:

Did they remove the mosquitos?

I wonder if they patched up bed of chaos to be less loving awful. I would just completely remove its physical attacks and have it only use the fire pillars.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

Does this game require a stable internet connection? I want to play it but my internet randomly drops out.

Xuuel
Feb 20, 2010
Ugh, count me in as one of the people with issues trying to get my controller to work. Official 360 controller, wired, but no luck.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Here is a guy livestreaming, and he there is already a patch to up the resolution: http://www.twitch.tv/slayer . He just downloaded it and said that it looks much better.

edit: Beaten like the undead merchant, but the stream is good.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

Please tell me more about that major game that-on day one-ran smoothly across all PC combinations.

If you've not properly QA'd your release then you've no business releasing it to begin with. And if you did release it in a state such as this, you deserve the criticism you get. Fanboy it up in the console thread if you like but this is a genuinely poor port no matter how you cut it.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Went ahead and grabbed this because of the resolution fix. I have about 80+ hours on the PS3, so it'll be nice to play something that's just a bit better, even if the quality of the port hearkens back to the bad old days of lazy PS2 to PC ports in a way that no other game I played has for years.

Bad port, but best version, and amazing game. Seems like a bit of a no-brainier. :)

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
Game is running smooth as butter here. I do have an i5 2500k and 560 Ti though. Man, it really is ugly at 1080p though. Gonna try out the resolution fix.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
The resolution hack makes my game run in a tiny window within the actual window. What's the deal? I changed the resolution in the DSfix.ini thing, but nada.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

Defghanistan posted:

Did anyone else have router issues with patching GFWL? I disabled windows firewall and that definitely wasn't it so now I need to hop on my router but I know for a fact UPNP is enabled, so uhhh

?

In case anyone else runs into this issue: GFWL was able to establish UPNP port forwarding on UDP 3074 but not TCP 3074 (which is necessary) and not UDP 88.

I had to manually add port forwards in my router to get the traffic through. Bloooows.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
The resolution fix just saved this game for me. Hopefully it works throughout the game without any issues because I can't imagine playing without it.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

homeless snail posted:

Make sure you click the enable button to switch to the xinput profile.

What is this? When I load the game all the button prompts display as if I have an xbox controller plugged in and my mouse cursor displays on the screen even when playing.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012
Haven't had any issues on my end, the game looks pretty much the same it did on console but with letterboxing, which is somewhat annoying.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
Ok fixed my wired 360 controller. Had to unplug my PS2->Gamepad port, which didn't even have a controller plugged in, but I guess Windows saw it as a possibly active USB and Dark Souls did too.

If you're having this problem, unplug any game-related peripherals.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

AngryGuy posted:

The guy over at neogaf just released his resolution thing. It's here and some comparison shots are here.

thank you for posting this.

Woozey
Feb 20, 2011

RIGHT NOW MY POTENTIAL IS LITERALLY THAT OF A WORM
I really shouldn't have left it till the last minute to setup my ps3 controller to work with motioninjoy, I'm having to use m+kb despite the pad apparently working ok in the program. Only just managed to beat my first invader through sheer attrition.
Anyone had any more luck with getting the controller working?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Oh my god.

See a white door thing on my way out of the tutorial area, go back through it. See the Abyssal Demon from earlier down below me, stand around for a few seconds wondering what to do, then he jumps back up, destroys my ledge, and kills me.

This is the best game.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

So, where is the default location of the game executable? I'm trying to install that fix but can't find the game directory.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
Resolution fix looks and runs great except for some terrible artifacting it produces in the background. It looks like the top of a lake on a windy day. Is anyone else getting it?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Got the buttons to finally to switch back to the keyboard icons, but I can't get the mouse cursor to disappear.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

Trap Star posted:

So, where is the default location of the game executable? I'm trying to install that fix but can't find the game directory.

Steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\Data

apophenium posted:

The resolution hack makes my game run in a tiny window within the actual window. What's the deal? I changed the resolution in the DSfix.ini thing, but nada.

What resolution are you trying to set it at in the ini? Do you have the ingame resolution matched to it and set to full screen?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Welp, I'm mad rusty. Expect to see some bloodstains by Havel, I've died 7 times so far.

THIS poo poo IS GONNA HAPPEN SOONER OR LATER HAVEL :argh:

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Rirse posted:

Got the buttons to finally to switch back to the keyboard icons, but I can't get the mouse cursor to disappear.

Err, how? The options screens aren't and I can't even find an .ini file or anything to play with outside the game.

Nut Better
Feb 17, 2011

:same:

Is anyone else having an issue with the resolution fix where messages on the ground aren't displayed? It shows the little knight icon but no text actually appears.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

AngryGuy posted:

If steam: Steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\Data

Thank you kindly sir

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Sloth Socks posted:

Ok fixed my wired 360 controller. Had to unplug my PS2->Gamepad port, which didn't even have a controller plugged in, but I guess Windows saw it as a possibly active USB and Dark Souls did too.

If you're having this problem, unplug any game-related peripherals.

The only other things I have plugged in besides my mouse and keyboard are some USB headphones. Sadly even unplugging them didn't get my wired 360 controller working.

:\

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

AngryGuy posted:

What resolution are you trying to set it at in the ini? Do you have the ingame resolution matched to it and set to full screen?

1920x1200 and yes.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Mouse cursor is making my game unplayable :(

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FallenGod posted:

Err, how? The options screens aren't and I can't even find an .ini file or anything to play with outside the game.

I had to unplug the controller to get it to go away. Shame until the mouse cursor is fixed I can't use this setup.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Quickie trainer for souls. Hey, it wasn't hard to do, and if I didn't somebody else would have. I want to do more playing and less trainermaking today though, so adding souls is all it does.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43421440/soulsForGoons.7z

The cheatengine buttons can be a little sticky, so you need to tap it fast or it can register multiple times. Let me know if it works. Made using the retail steam version. No promises about it working for anything else (or even the retail steam version, until I get some feedback, ha).

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 24, 2012

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

SubponticatePoster posted:

Here is a guy livestreaming, and he there is already a patch to up the resolution: http://www.twitch.tv/slayer . He just downloaded it and said that it looks much better.

edit: Beaten like the undead merchant, but the stream is good.

This guy's pretty good and it's fun to watch him play. I might get this despite the problems...

Also, why did they not let pc players get higher resolutions especially if it took someone like an hour to get the resolutions working fine?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What's this game's mouse support like? I don't have a gamepad and the one video showed nothing but keyboard binds. I can deal with a mediocre mouse camera but I don't want to buy the game if it doesn't have one at all. Also can I bind actions to the mouse, etc.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
I'm getting some framerate hitches with a Phenom II x4 995 and a 560GTX running at 1920x1080, how is everyone else's performance?

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

apophenium posted:

1920x1200 and yes.

You've probably tried other resolutions already but try setting the dsfix.ini resolution to 1920x1080 instead. Leave the ingame resolution alone. The game isn't actually capable of doing 16:10 and setting the ingame resolution to that just letterboxes it.

Also you'll notice a dsfix.log file in your data directory after you run the game. See what that says if it's still not working.

e: and also make sure AA is off.

AngryGuy fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 24, 2012

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Resolution patch makes the game look fantastic. Unfortunately it also seems to break the messages on the floor.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Just applied the resolution fix...

Any ideas what might cause this?

e: just turned off Anti Aliasing, that did it.

Montez
Sep 15, 2003

Frog blast the vent cores!
I'm having this weird camera issue where it pans down and starts slowly spinning if I'm not constantly adjusting it with the controller. Seems more intentional looking than a glitch, but I don't remember anything like that from the xbox version. Anyone else having a problem like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Some bullshit review said earlier that the game has "fully mappable controls with controller support" but I guess what that means is only the 360 controller 'cause I can't get my USB dongle PS2 controller to be recognized at all. I'm having the opposite problem most of you are having, especially as I don't have a wired 360 controller, only wireless ones.

• Locked thread