Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
srb
Jul 24, 2007
Neither does "4800 series", they are pretty old now and if it's a low end one like a 4830 I'm not surprised, since that would probably actually have less performance than a Geforce 8800 despite being newer.

Runs fine with my GTX 260, maybe it's just an ATI driver issue. As always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Where do you get the thing that lets you write stuff? I'm all the way in to the darkroot garden and I still haven't found it.

Also the moonlight butterfly is tearing me a new rear end in a top hat, it's so bad I'm wondering if I didn't take a wrong turn somewhere.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Omnides posted:

Where do you get the thing that lets you write stuff? I'm all the way in to the darkroot garden and I still haven't found it.

Also the moonlight butterfly is tearing me a new rear end in a top hat, it's so bad I'm wondering if I didn't take a wrong turn somewhere.

The merchant in the main area of the Undead Burg sells it.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Omnides posted:

Undead Merchant, in the burg. He's before the first bonfire, down a set of stairs hidden by some crates.

Equip a high magic defence shield, dodge dodge, hit the head when it lands. Or shoot it whenever with MAGIC!

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

Can anyone tell me why I can't log in to GWFL? I can login with the app itself, or onto the GFWL site, but when I try logging in to the account in game it just tells me invalid password/email, even though it's filled in automatically when I start the game? I can't play online at all because of this poo poo.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
People, please stop trying to play with a keyboard and mouse. I can't even fathom a configuration that would be better than just plugging in a 360 controller. If you don't have a 360 controller go buy a 360 controller. You are playing a direct port of an Xbox 360 game that the developers initially had no plans whatsoever to port to the PC. Go buy an Xbox 360 controller.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

GhostDog posted:

So, the german texts are terrible, but in order to switch the game to english I have to switch GFWL to english which in turn only works by setting the whole OS to english which means typing a lot of Zs where I want to type Ys. Do these people ever actually use the poo poo they're creating? Jesus.

Can you not set the keyboard layout separately from everything else? You should be able to set windows to whichever country and still use any keyboard layout you want. It may cause some applications to default to English keyboard or something, but you should still be able to switch back to German layout and have the Z in the top row as the allmighty indented it to be, shouldn't you? :v:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Priam posted:

Can anyone tell me why I can't log in to GWFL? I can login with the app itself, or onto the GFWL site, but when I try logging in to the account in game it just tells me invalid password/email, even though it's filled in automatically when I start the game? I can't play online at all because of this poo poo.

I had a similar problem with Lost Planet 2. I ended up having to forward ports on my router.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

TheJukku posted:

there's a merchant in undead burg a little bit before the first bonfire there, in a small branch off to the right

I somehow managed to miss him by a single room, I thought "Hey, there's a room down here! ...Nah, the guys up above seemed pretty tough, it's probably above my level" :downs:

Dragon's taking a lot of arrows in the tail. I hope I get my sword soon.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Stokes posted:

People, please stop trying to play with a keyboard and mouse. I can't even fathom a configuration that would be better than just plugging in a 360 controller. If you don't have a 360 controller go buy a 360 controller. You are playing a direct port of an Xbox 360 game that the developers initially had no plans whatsoever to port to the PC. Go buy an Xbox 360 controller.

Based on being the #1 seller on steam now I would think they could put some effort in to fixing the mouse and keyboard issues. I have been playing with only M&K for about 2 hours while I wait for a 360 pad to show up, and the only real issue I have is that I can't change some of the binds and the cursor shows up right on the screen. Not only is this annoying but it will cause me to to tab out of the game a lot. I have been able to deal with all of this so far, if only they could fix the 2-3 major issues facing this port.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Orv posted:

The merchant in the main area of the Undead Burg sells it.
The what now? I never found anyone in there.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Omnides posted:

Nothing wrong with coming back later. Hitting the drat thing with my +3 weapon for low 20s was kinda tedious.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
So I bought a Dark Souls key online, and it turns out that it's a GfWL key, not a Steam key. You can't download whole brand new games from GfWL, so right now I'm kinda hosed. What can I do in this situation? I was thinking about torrenting the iso and using the key, but I'm not sure if it's such a good idea. Also, I hope this isn't :filez: talk, considering that I bought a legit key, so I kinda own the game now, except I can't play it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm so happy this game runs smoothly. The first thing I did was go down into New Londo and there was no hitching in sight.

Evil Eagle posted:

So my controller works in the GFWL menus in-game but not the game itself. It's a Logitech F310 with basically the same inputs as a 360 controller so this is kind of frustrating.

Yodzilla posted:

If anyone is having any more controller problems, here is the definitive fix: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32498773&postcount=40

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stokes posted:

No thanks.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Dark Souls is steamworks, right? Where would be the cheapest place to get it at the moment?

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Drakes posted:

Nothing wrong with coming back later. Hitting the drat thing with my +3 weapon for low 20s was kinda tedious.

There's other paths to take? Cuz right now all I have to my name beyond the initial wanderer equipment is a knight shield and a +1 longsword.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
:siren: Version 0.2 of the resolution fix is up which takes care of the hint text issue and button prompts

:w00t: Because it really does look like hot garbage without it.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Dark Souls is steamworks, right? Where would be the cheapest place to get it at the moment?

GMG has it at $32 with a voucher last I heard.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I am on the fence between this and Counter Strike. For those of you that have it on PS3, do you think this is a worthwhile purchase? I probably have close to 60 hours in the PS3 version but never finished it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

srb posted:

Neither does "4800 series", they are pretty old now and if it's a low end one like a 4830 I'm not surprised, since that would probably actually have less performance than a Geforce 8800 despite being newer.

4830 doesn't ring any bells at all, I'm sure it's not that. It's...one of the models that has pipe-looking things on the side and takes up a lot of space? I'll have to dig through old Newegg receipts to know for certain. :shobon:

Also, in the event I do get a new GPU, should I look into that ATI Crossfire business, or am I better served seeking out something superior from Nvidia?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bruce Leroy posted:

Anyone know if there's going to be a demo release anytime soon?

I'm interested in this game but with its brutally hard reputation I don't want to buy something I'm gonna get frustrated with and hate because I'm a scrub.

It's not so much that it's hard, it's more that it's very punishing if you let your guard down/make bad decisions.

The game doesn't hold your hand, ever, in any way, you are on your own, but the only "brick walls" are some of the more difficult bosses and you can engage in JOLLY CO-OPERATION to make even the toughest bosses piss-easy.

Really, you die every now and then and as long as you learn from the deaths the difficulty curve will be very smooth, and you'll be an rear end in a top hat harassing level 10s with lightning weapons in no time.

Eggs
Apr 15, 2007
So is this a good port?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Eggs posted:

So is this a good port?

Best one I've seen in a while.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Omnides posted:

The what now? I never found anyone in there.

You know those two spearmen across the small bridge near the bonfire? Roll around in the boxes near them.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009

Eggs posted:

So is this a good port?

It's barebones as gently caress but it's stable, bug-free and looks great with that resolution patch. Also use a gamepad.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

To all those people complaining about having their cursor on the screen: have you tried just, you know, sliding it off the screen? This is like the most easily remediable problem of them all.

Disorientated
Sep 1, 2006

Eggs posted:

So is this a good port?

It's a straight console port - with zero bells and whistles. Works alright for most but some are having fps and other issues.

Having said all that the speed with which people are devising solutions to some of the port's problems (internal render resolution, mouse pointer persisting on screen, etc) makes me think a lot of these little niggles will probably be well sorted in a week or so.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Nahxela posted:

Eh, I wouldn't necessarily say it's the worst. If it retains its solid stability and relatively light weight, it's still a pretty solid shield. While 95% isn't a full block, it's still pretty hefty. A lot of people run around with the Grass Crest Shield because of the Stamina Regen and not so terrible stability even in spite of it not having a full 100% Physical Block.

Admittedly the eagle shield almost trivialized the game because you can block literally every physical attack when you upgrade its stability, so maybe it's not an entirely bad change.

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.
I've been playing this game pretty much all day, and it's just all kinds of amazing.

I felt all :smug: about taking out the Moonlight Butterfly in a single try after dying 4-5 times to Taurus Demon and the Gargoyle Bros, and I figured I had gotten the hang of things. Then I ran into Havel and the Capra Demon. :v:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Alabaster White posted:

To all those people complaining about having their cursor on the screen: have you tried just, you know, sliding it off the screen? This is like the most easily remediable problem of them all.

I guess if you like having the camera pointing in one direction permanently that's a pretty good fix.

Rashaverak
May 13, 2001

"Cock'n'Balls" is a pinnacle of modern medicine.
Based on the suggestions in this thread, I just bought an XBOX 360 controller for this game because of how many glowing recommendations the console version had.

I really hope this is worth the price of $26 for the controller and $40 for the game, because gently caress using the mouse and keyboard anymore, that just added another new level of frustration on top of an already incredibly frustrating game!

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Cowcaster posted:

I guess if you like having the camera pointing in one direction permanently that's a pretty good fix.

God drat, just buy that loving gamepad dude.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Best one I've seen in a while.

Comparing a rotten apple to a slightly less rotten apple I suppose. It isn't the worse but it suffers from what all modern console ports suffer [Controls not optimized worth a poo poo, UI problems, et all] They did make it look pretty though I suppose.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

E: double post.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Attention Horse posted:

God drat, just buy that loving gamepad dude.

Yes seriously. There are other games where keyboard + mouse controls are tolerable or at worst slightly confusing but in this game it totally butchers the controls, because it just doesn't translate at all.

It's like playing an FPS game with a joystick for flight simulators or a steering wheel.

Eggs
Apr 15, 2007
Has anyone been using the PS3 controller with MotionInJoy?

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy
I purchased Dark Souls on steam yesterday, and when I went to play it with my (offbrand) 360 controller all of the controls are weird. Target is start, menu is left stick press (l3) dual wield is on A. Is there a way to change the gamepad controls? I am not using xpadder or anything it's just the native inputs, when I tried changing the controls corresponding pc analog, nothing changed (Like swapping what Left alt and space do). Should I just buy another controller?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So just did some ( very ) basic number crunching on the side here.

Vit/Endurance both give half the defense stat of Res, but in return also give more Health/Stam.

I was originally thinking of mainly focusing on Res/Endurance, but have noticed I'm starting to hit really high diminishing returns on defensive stats, even now around SL20.

Decided to mess around with a character builder I found online, and found that bringing Vit/Endurance to 40 give me roughly the same defensive stats as Res/Endurance at 40/40, due to the massive diminishing returns that start to happen for defensive stats. And this just gets worse as I throw more points in to Vit/End, or start putting points in to Strength to cover weapons.

Now, I'm thinking from an ingame standpoint, Res could still possibly be better at the lower levels, as Estus Flasks heal for a set amount, so more health doesn't equal better character, you'd want less damage taken over more health. But as you get to higher levels, wouldn't more Health/Stam be a much better insurance then a bit more defense, especially as you can theoretically buy stuff to get rid of Poisons?

I'm theorycrafting a bit much for this game I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

KildarX posted:

Comparing a rotten apple to a slightly less rotten apple I suppose. It isn't the worse but it suffers from what all modern console ports suffer [Controls not optimized worth a poo poo, UI problems, et all] They did make it look pretty though I suppose.

I don't know how much the controls could be optimized for PC. Combat is based on lock-on which makes mouselook useless, and all the inventory and UI is based on things being on the left and right of a controller.

Even if they spent sometime coming up with ingenius ways to make the controls more intuitive on the PC it wouldn't be as good as a pad. Again, it's like playing an FPS game with a steering wheel.

EDIT:
Rookersh: Do. Not. Add. To resistance. This should be in the OP in giant bolded font. Any point in resistance is a wasted point.

You should have just enough strength/dex for your desired weapons, 40 points in your main stat (be it str, dex, int, or faith, 50 if you want to use very specific skills/weapons), just enough points for the desired amount of attunement slots, and everything else should be dumped in Vit and End (with priority on End).

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 24, 2012

• Locked thread